Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The main story has good ideas, but the game was rushed in order to meet the Tales series 15th anniversary. It kind of shows.

Anyway, Tales of Xillia is not just my favorite tales game, but my favorite video game of all time, narrowly beating out such world renowned titles as Soul Nomad & The World Eaters. Peace.

McTimmy posted:

Jude's actually shorter than all the Talim NPCs.
Yeah, it's worth keeping in mind that Jude is a short little bugger, even for being 15. Meanwhile, Milla is pretty tall. (In-game, the official data books and poo poo try to pass her off as being kind of average height, even though that's pretty much completely impossible looking at her in-game model. lol databooks)

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And then I promptly bought all of Milla's DLC outfits because that hair sprig of hers annoys me no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bathroomrage posted:

This is basically the FFXIII of Tales games and as such it's still playable, but just really disappointing riding the high of Vesperia and Graces.
Honestly, I like this game a lot more than Vesperia, even in an objective way. It's basically impossible to go back to Vesperia's slow as gently caress combat after Graces, and while this isn't as fast as Graces, it definitely isn't sluggish either. And plot-wise it blows Graces out of the water, not that that's hard to do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

Jude being a doctor at 15 is still hilarious
He's not. He's a student.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

Even being a student doctor person is hilarious.
Eh, it's random fantasy vaguely medieval esque, 15 for a medical student is believable in those circumstances.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

If I remember correctly, it's an allusion to "ki/chi healing" (martial arts magic, basically)-- Farah from Eternia and Regal from Symphonia were both martial artists with healing abilities that I think all referenced ki/chi.
IIRC, the only martial artist in the series without a couple of healing moves is Senel. He was too busy chucking dudes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raitzeno posted:

I just can't stand controlling in battle... Cheria...
Did you never try her in the Future arc? Because she's fun as hell when she becomes Dio Brando.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Milla is the party leader and the one pushing the story forward, Jude is the viewpoint character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

Generally JRPGs make a lot more sense if you add five years to the ages of the characters (though it's kind of logarithmic: you add fewer years to younger characters and more to older characters so that when they're going on about being old they're 50 and not like 35 or something)
This one kinda doesn't. Jude's written as an awkward teenager, Milla's written as a young adult, the other party members fit their ages too.

MonsterEnvy posted:

On his side, on Milla's side she is still all of that and the view point character.
Nope! It'll become more obvious as we move further on in the game but the game still totally treats Jude as the protagonist, even in Milla's story where you're getting party splits and going with Milla's side. Even something like the way the cutscenes are directed treats Jude as the protagonist - they focus on getting his face in shot in a lot of group scenes, meaning that since he's so short about half the party are constantly shown from the shoulders down.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This is a good general attitude towards anime and JRPG ages in general, given how bonkers they can be.
not to mention a lot of them being 'bonkers' is just people making weird assumptions about characters and then being surprised when those assumptions dont fit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

See, this is what I mean about Jude being kind of the default protagonist. Jude gets a bit where he runs around Fennmont and gets some worldbuilding, Milla just kind of drops down from the sky and you're off to the races.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really get why people are calling Jude generic. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of him, but he's a lot more lowkey than the average Young Male JRPG Protagonist. He isn't Lloyd Irving or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Even Reid has the fact that he flatout doesn't really want to be there. He's basically a lazy dog in human form. All he wants to do is eat and sleep and gently caress saving the world.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gullwhacker posted:

So when Jude, in a skit, expresses grief over the professor's fate, and I've only played Millia's side of the story to that point, I'm fully aware how out of the loop I am. It kind of set me off at the time and I didn't get very far past it.
That of all things sets you off? You can just assume Jude's professor died from the context. You aren't 'out of the loop', you missed like two lines of dialogue. Jude literally says 'my professor died.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Wasn't Kresnik a character in a previous Tales game?
No.

Momomo posted:

I think it's that Milla didn't really get any kind of introduction, like Jude does, she just immediately goes into the plot.
That's a fair enough complaint, but even if she did get some sort of introduction, it wouldn't be related to Jude's professor at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HR12345 posted:

I'm sure there's fanart of Teepo and Chiepoo (or whatever that thing from Tales of the Abyss's name was) floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bufuman posted:

Oh, right, Abyss had TWO things. That other thing is called Tokunaga, I believe. Or was that that one butler from Symphonia? Ah, forget it, probably both.

Teepo really is a damned creepy little bastard. I guess I've gotten used to him over two whole games, but I recall being utterly freaked the gently caress out, particularly at his grinning animation.
Tokunaga's a recurring name in the series, for some reason. The helmsman of your ship in Tales of Vesperia is named that too.

• Locked thread