Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Tales of Xillia. This game... exists. It's a good game, but I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it in general. At the very least though, it can be drat pretty. Fenmont in particular is one of the best looking cities in the game.

wdarkk posted:

As to the darkness, I thought it was just Fennmont being Fennmont but I can mess with the settings next time I record.

I remember the game being pretty dark in general, made subtitles hard to read. It might just be because my tv isn't very good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I didn't really like the characters all that much, other than Energetic Girl, but I also didn't have any real emotion one way or the other about Abyss until my second playthrough, so the same could happen here.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Jude is alright, but we really, really really did not need another young, bright eyed young man so quickly after Graces. If these games had been spaced out more, I maybe would've liked it more, but I am sick to death of this character trope.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I like Jude a lot more than I liked Asbel. Jude has some interesting moments later on, while Asbel's my go-to guy for 'Generic RPG Protagonist'. Plus, the fact that Jude's an RPG protagonist who's a medic who also punches things to death is a lot more interesting than any number of sword-weilding kids.

He's not as boring as Asbel, I just mean that the series really wasn't hurting for young protagonists having coming of age stories like this, so Jude being yet another one just turned me off immediately. We already have an interesting main character with Milla too, so having so much focus on Jude didn't appeal to me.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Feinne posted:

This is why you play as Milla and pick up the stuff that happens on Jude's side only from skits. This also means you have the bare minimum of fights where you can't be Milla, who is the best.

This is what I did, thought brings some head scratching implications later on if you never touch Jude's story, but that's for another day.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The fact that so many people thought Jude was older is kind of weird to me. 15 years old seems just right for his character.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

wdarkk posted:

That's really the major problem with X2. Everything else is pretty good. It's like a fixed Dawn of the New World.

I would say the gigantic amount of reused areas (even the same area multiple times) was also a pretty big hit against it. I don't remember Dawn really doing that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Bricoleur posted:

His voice is deep, he's either a doctor or a medical student (I forget which), he doesn't have that hyperactivity most jrpg (or even Tales) males his age have, and his face/height don't tip you off how old he is. They could have just said he's 20 years old and it wouldn't have made any difference, he'd have passed without question.

He's also naive to the world around him and does not really come off as an adult. A lot of his character arc is about growing up (spoilers?), and that isn't something they usually do with 20 year olds in JRPGs (which are usually grizzled battle-scarred fighting masters). I really don't think he'd pass for 20 either, he's way too small for that.

edit: Pascal was perfect for the tone of the game, because the "story" of Graces was non-existant.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It could have been a bit less wordy about it then. It never really managed to be very funny or engaging--there was comedy in places that worked, but compared to the honestly fantastic writing in Vesperia and a lot of Xilla so far too, it really felt just...not up to par.

They probably had a rough draft of the events that went on through the game, and then kind of forgot to write in all the other stuff and focused on the actual game part instead. Then about a month before it came out, they realized they forgot to write a plot and just shoved the word friendship everywhere.

The skits were the best in the series though, that's where the real writing went.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Endorph posted:

Even Reid has the fact that he flatout doesn't really want to be there. He's basically a lazy dog in human form. All he wants to do is eat and sleep and gently caress saving the world.

He also has the most sarcastic voice known to man.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think it's that Milla didn't really get any kind of introduction, like Jude does, she just immediately goes into the plot.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

You could say the same thing about a lot of stuff in this game, though (like the story for instance). It just had a really odd development and things are kind of half baked, I don't really think they shoved her story in later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

At least one of you is going to have to play the entire game with everyone wearing the stupidest stuff.

• Locked thread