Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SALT CURES HAM posted:

This sounds so, so good but the title is so, so hard to take seriously.

I love the title. Promises a boogeyman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Have any of you US people seen this in a theatre anywhere?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

The best part about the movie is that it is really, wickedly funny. The magic trick at the end is the perfect mix of innocence and pure diabolicism. The Babadook is about as good a Sam Raimi/Guillermo del Toro movie not directed or produced by either of them that one could have gotten.

A lot of the shot choices reflect that, and the big, clean spaces in the house with dirty corners are very GDT, very scary storybook.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, the integration of Mister Babadook into those silent films is really impressive. According to IMDb, all the silent films used in that fever dream sequence are either de Chomon or Melies, which is appropriate given that Samuel wants to become a magician. de Chomon and Melies were both very similar in that their films use cinema to expand on the tradition of magic and theatrical performance. And what's interesting about a lot of these films is how explicitly they enticed the audience to laugh at and take pleasure in ghosts and diabolical characters taking advantage of foolish innocents. Before the ending twist, Kent is laying the seed of the idea that Mister Babadook is both a devilish and cathartic figure.

This was my favorite part of the movie, a nice "did I actually see that" moment.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Strontosaurus posted:

What was up with the tooth thing? It was foreshadowed during the whole movie but wasn't explained and I didn't pick up any obvious metaphor.

Tooth damage is a dream image, abcess/bad roots. Pain you can feel in your soul.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

Did you actually see the movie?

Is there a reason to acknowledge it at all?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think we might have found this forum's first Annabelle fan.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It is emphatically not.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, the Babadook is extremely Mighty Boosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Twanki posted:

Also Dada Book.

I like it.

• Locked thread