Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Fantastic film, but they lost a big opportunity with the ending, not by making the monster literal, but by weakening it's nature, the soul's inner darkest side. The reveal of them feeding the Babadook safely in their basement is a good image, keeping their darkest wishes at bay, but the whole final shouting match seemed out of a totaly different movie, and that overused roaring special effect LOL
The kid's smile was probably one of the creepiest parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
That hole scene is straight Cronenberg.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
When she snapped at the kid, calling him a little poo poo and whatnot, did the kid laugh? The Babadook always looked like a creepy ghost version of him, so at the time I thought this was a creepy trick.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

K. Waste posted:

This movie was all right, but Jennifer Kent’s true debut, Monster, has more heart, more style, and better acting.

http://vimeo.com/39042148
It certainly handles the confrontation much better, if anything Babadook was weakened by the more extravagant choices, like the kid having the prowess of a Home Alone kid.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

K. Waste posted:

The Babadook is about as good a Sam Raimi/Guillermo del Toro movie not directed or produced by either of them that one could have gotten.
I wouldn't go that far, I still loved the flick despite it's cinches, plus there's one shot that is mad Cronenbergian.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Yeah, thinking you can just beat it and get rid of it is one of the biggest lessons people take a long time to take to heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
gently caress's sake, now I can't unsee noel fielding's face

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 26, 2015

• Locked thread