Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

somnambulist posted:

Spoilers-

I didn't "get" why the son flew up the stairs, I thought the monster wasn't real and it's just a manifestation of repressed depressed thoughts and resentment towards her kid?

Its both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MisterBibs posted:

The issue, ultimately, is that symbolism can't support things on its own; it works best as subtext.

The ending only works as Babadook As Symbol Of Grief. It a stupid as hell ending from a people-dealing-with-a-ghost perspective. If you've got a ghost thing in your basement, the last thing you do is feed it.

You can never get rid of it. Might as well try to make sure it doesn't become malevolent again.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MisterBibs posted:

Or, since it retreated into the closet, let it starve there. You don't feed a entity thing that is tormenting you, especially won you just defeated.

I don't think the being you explicitly can never ever get rid off isn't going to starve if you don't give it food.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MisterBibs posted:

Then why feed it at all? Don't tell me the ~symbolism~ of it. The symbolism of it isn't going to absolve or replace the practical insanity of it.
Lets say you have an immortal mad dog running around. You can't kill it no matter how you try but you manage to chain it up. You could try to ignore it but it might become restless and hungry and maybe even try to escape and eat your face. Alternatively you could feed it and check up on it regularly to make sure it's still there and still chained up. With regards to the Babadook this works both on the symbolic level and the "practical" level much in the same way. On the practical level she's found out that although you can't get rid of the Babadook you can weaken it and by keeping it in a basement and feeding it worms you gain some power over it.

If you wanna be practical evil book monsters donīt actually exist which means the whole film is bad.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 11, 2015

• Locked thread