Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

This sounds so, so good but the title is so, so hard to take seriously.

It's as counterintutive as having a horror movie where the main anagonist is called Pinhead but once you see it, there won't be any way to make the word not sound creepy.

I loved this movie, and I love the recent trend of horror movies using these really drastic but tonal shifts to keep you guessing. Housebound is another horror that does something similar, but unlike that movie Babadook has no humour about it at all.

I hope this movie gets popular enough for someone to make and sell copies of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I had my first viewing of There Will Be Blood ruined by some chucklefuck who laughed out loud at all sorts of inappropriate moments like HW being deafened. Seeing it again on my own was like watching a different film entirely.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

axleblaze posted:

I really do love this moive and pretty much consider it to be a perfect half a Rosemary's Baby double feature. While Rosemary's Baby was about the hell that it is to be pregnant and give birth, this is the hell of actually raising a child. It's a movie about loving your child with all your heart but also knowing that if your child was dead your life would be so much better. For a such a hosed up topic the movie approaches it in a silly and whimsical way but that was probably the best choice. Every part of childhood and raising children is surrounded with this air of fairy tales and myth so it's fitting that this aspect should be treated the same way.

I think there's definitely a lightness in the mom/son relationship that is delicately handled in the best way. Anything further and you start to get into We Need To Talk About Kevin territory.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

Did any else get creeped out simply because that one actor was also in Snowtown?

Literally just came in to post this because it only now occurred to me who he was. I guess we should be happy that the movie didn't end with him trying to stuff them both in a barrel :(

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Pre-order for the book is out!

http://thebabadook.com/

$80 shipped if they get 2k Pre-orders. Booo

Ordered. Knowing that it'll be a fairly exact copy of the book from the movie and that Jennifer Kent's working on it sold me. I really hope this gets funded.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm seriously trying to remember anything remotely scary about Annabelle. Even if you had more than your average aversion to creepy dolls, that was some thin loving gruel indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

bort posted:

They've re-opened the sale of the book briefly!

link -- the password is "basement".

FYI as of the last Kickstarter update the delivery of the book isn't happening until January, so if you're looking to give this for Christmas you're out of luck.

• Locked thread