Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Just got back from a screening tonight. The tone of the film and the atmosphere is really well done. You can tell that the director is a fan of Requiem for a Dream the mum sat in front of the TV and the general unsettling nature of the film is very reminiscent of Requiem. Personally I don't think it relied on jump scares at all, and was actually much more about the atmosphere. I was very impressed that it managed to be emotionally engaging and scary, as opposed to choosing one in favour of the other (i.e. Let the Right One In is emotionally engaging, but not frightening).

My only real complaint would be the tonal shift at the end. Feeding the Babadook bowls of worms in the basement just seemed a bit silly to me, and felt off colour compared to the atmosphere of the rest of the film. Although I think the poster above me is right that if you look at it through the lens of PTSD or grief, it makes a lot more sense. I thought it was going to go one of 3 ways:

1. Mum kills Samuel, as described in the pop up book
2. Samuel kills mum in self-defence
3. Sam and Mum defeat The Babadook, but the social services come back, and everything is such a state that they take Sam away anyway.

The ending totally makes sense, and I appreciate it for what it is, but I also kind of long for something in keeping with the tone of the rest of the film, because that was so well done.

The visual/sound design was spot on as well. The Babadook pop-up book, and colour pallet of the film especially.

Overall I really enjoyed it. Definitely the best horror film I've seen in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread