Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimsonking82
Jan 7, 2015
Saw this Last October at TAD film fest. It was pumped to the gills and I had high hopes. If you go in over hyped chances are you will not be fond of it. It's good but nothing to write home about. Now if you liked it or if you just thought it was okay...I HIGHLY recommend Housebound. Saw it at the same fest and I loved it. Highly recommend. I thought Babadook started strong and suffered in the 3rd act. Housebound hit me out of the gate and then proceeded to f with my mind to the very end. Yes it is more horror comedy than Babadook but I found it way more effective. If you love Babadook and want something even better I highly recommend (and would love opinions) The 80's film the changeling which I think got haunted house movies like this (not paranormal activity which is in its own genre) correct. Plus there isn't the annoying kid....who I will say did a fantastic job....but Christ is a poster child as to why I don't want kids! If they had kept the third act a little more obscure I would have liked it more. Plus don't kill the loving dog. Sorry not even going to cover that with a spoiler. I Hate when films do that just to get an emotional push and this is guilty of it in spades. Could have been so much better. It is def worth the watch though as negative as all of this sounds. For horror in the last 10 years I would give it a good recommendation and rate it a 6.5/7. Love to hear your thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimsonking82
Jan 7, 2015

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The entire ending was one of the few things I actually really liked about the movie.

It's such a well made movie that it's definitely worth people's time. Great performances and visuals and a nice sense of insomnia and increasing madness. But the Babadook itself was way, way too Mighty Boosh to be scary.

My biggest problem was how predictable it was. It is not a subtle movie and by the time you get what they are going for (which happens extremely early on) you can count down the plot's by the numbers progression. It's why I liked the ending; it was an unexpected way to end it.

So many movies of course follow a familiar progression, but this is one of the few movies where it really bothered me because I just wanted them to get to the next step every other scene. And I don't believe that was particularly my fault.

Agree with you for the most part ( won't even get into the CGI "Boosh" effect) and would quote you to counter my arguments but in the end think we are on a similar page. It is a top tier VOD rental.

• Locked thread