Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
STOP LEECHING IMAGES, DICKFACE
Staying near the CBD can be a crapshoot. One suburb can have good and bad parts right next to each other, for example upper vs lower Woodstock is separated by a main road and are miles apart in terms of quality of living.

What kind of living budget are you looking at?

CBD, in terms of safety and theft, is worse than most areas so locking everything up is essential, even when you are at home at night, although this is kind of a rule of thumb for anywhere in South Africa.

If you have the :bux: then you should look at areas like Camps Bay, Sea Point/Green Point or De Waterkant (pretty much in the CBD). If you don't mind the commute there are surrounding suburbs that are more affordable but a completely different vibe to CBD. Anything West of Rondebosch is a no go zone (Athlone, Ottery, Elsies River etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
Not sure if you have already been looking but look around on gumtree.co.za for places.

In terms of public transport we have trains that go to most suburbs and a decent bus system that runs on it's own road which is decent because traffic here is quite bad. Our "taxis" should be taken at your own risk and normal taxis as you understand them are extortionate.

Our Taxi and esteemed Taxi drivers.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010

Saladman posted:

You missed the other thread a couple months ago -- a couple South Africans were posting about their security setups (one is I think north of Joburg?) that had like automated turrets, guard dogs, laser defense grids, a single entry bridge rigged with explosives, and a 24 hour a day Predator drone for the neighborhood. My memory may be slightly exaggerating what was actually posted.

Edit: This is the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654643 archive access not required.

Edit: drat, my memory was not particularly an exaggeration. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654643#post433831252

I'm 26 and I have lived in pretty decent suburbs all my life and we have been burgled twice and my car has been broken into once :(
Oh, and there was that time where the neighbors were being burgled and they decided to use our wall as their escape route. They didn't appreciate the fact that my dad was waiting for them with a loaded 357.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
A mate just got screwed renting a new place from a private ad on gumtree. Handed in all the normal requested docs and paid 2 months + rent. Arrives at the house to collect keys and sees a "Sold" sign in front and now can't contact the dude.

Maybe keep to rental agencies.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010

davey4283 posted:

I met a guy from cape town in the bar once. He said there are 3 types of people in cape town. Blacks, whites, and mixed (capetonians).

Whites are on top, Capetonians are second and blacks are on the bottom.

Also, he said dont go to the ghettos. Thats all I know.

Lol everyone from Cape Town is considered Capetonian, the "mixed" you are referring to are called "coloureds"

• Locked thread