Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Release Dates:
JP: June 26, 2014
NA: October 28, 2014
EU: October 31, 2014
PS-TV Compatible

:siren: Play with us on IRC! :siren: #vita on irc.synirc.net

Freedom Wars is a Hunting-Action title, first and foremost. If you don't like Monster Hunter, or God Eater, or Soul Sacrifice, or Toukiden (seriously, you've had your chance to figure it out by now), turn back.This is not the game (or genre) for you. It's also anime as gently caress, so if you can't stand that you should head out as well. What the game itself brings to the table is an incredible amount of 3D Mobility that puts all of the other games in the genre to shame, Gunplay that may or may not compare to God Eater depending on how you view it, and honest to god Player Versus Player combat. It also has an amazing soundtrack.

It is the year 102014 A.D., life on the planet has long since become unsustainable. Unbelievable war, the passage of time, and the Abductors that have taken residence in the Sky Prisons have ravaged the surface to the point of being absolutely unlivable. It is impossible to exist outside, and these creatures execute Divine Punishment upon anybody foolish enough to venture out. Humanity has thus moved to subterranean shelters that were dubbed 'Panopticons'. The struggle to sustain themselves with intense resource scarcity, and additionally contend with researching a means of restoring the surface to something habitable, has created a very dystopian situation. Panopticons are constantly engaged in strife with one another over the limited resources at their disposal, and the raging war against the Abductors is not helping. The only recourse has been to force all criminals to volunteer in the war efforts. Anybody arrested for any reason is now a volunteer, regardless of your innocence or guilt. Newborn life is the most taxing on a Panopticon's resources, so the act of being born is the most heinous crime of all, and the sentence is :siren: One Million Years :siren:

The Weapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zETCsZ5MyBU
  • Light Melee - Smaller bladed weapons that include shortswords, large knives, small chainsaws, and other such things that could be effectively wielded in one-hand. The strength of this category of weapons is that you are the most effective at piercing the joints on Abductors, and your efficacy is not reduced when attaching yourself to an Abductor using your Thorn.
  • Heavy Melee - Large, two-handed Swords (both the traditional giant-slab-of-metal variety and Tachi) and Hammers. These weapons have much stronger charge attacks that can be charged for longer to deal increased damage, and allow you to pivot your swing as you unleash the charge attack. You are more vulnerable due to the extended charge time, but your range is also significantly increased to compensate.
  • Polearm - Spears, Bardiche, etc. With longer range and increased mobility, including aerial combos, spears make for a decent technical playstyle for people who still want the increased damage of the larger weapons but not be limited by charge times. Has a mechanic where fighting at low HP will increase your damage.

All melee weapons can be charged for different/stronger attacks, but the power of this varies on the category. As a Light Melee player, your charge attacks are typically used to inflict Elemental statuses as they execute many hits at once, while for Heavy Melee, a charge attack is simply a huge spike of raw damage.

• Assault Weapons - Compact, low-recoil guns that can be effectively wielded while utilizing the Thorn to traverse the area. If you enjoy spending more time in the air around the monster as opposed to on the ground, you'll likely prefer these.
  • Portable Artillery - Large weapons that can't be used while ziplining with the Thorn. This tends to include heavier rifles and explosive launchers of varying sorts.
  • Autocannons - Typically giant, gently caress-off explosive lasers/cannons that restrict your mobility and have limited capacity, but are very good for temporarily distracting/disabling Abductors. Also includes gimmick launchers for explicitly disabling Sinners/Abductors.

Anybody who has played God Eater should be familiar with this setup, although the modularity of the guns themselves is significantly less expansive due to each gun type having a specific use instead of a "specialty".

Elements

Similar to most titles in the genre, if your weapon has an element it will deal extra damage with that elemental type. Each element also has an associated Status effect that can be inflicted:
  • Fire - Basically Poison. When you hit a limb enough, it will burst into flames and be damaged over time.
  • Ice - Lowers defense on the limb. Useful for speeding up severing.
  • Electric - Paralysis. Temporarily disables use of the limb. The efficacy of this varies wildly, typically this is most useful against Bipedal Abductors. Things like Quadropedals, Paradoxa, Ramosa, etc. are not greatly inconvenienced by this status unless you manage to apply it to all of their limbs at once.
  • Will'O - If you've played MH3/MH4, this is Slime. When you apply enough Will'O to a limb, eventually it will explode for a big chunk of damage.
  • Impact - While this is not technically an "element", this stat determines how much of your damage can contribute to causing the monster to Stagger. Mostly relevant when attacking legs.

Some Abductors have an associated element. In this case, the chain is (Fire > Ice > Electric > Will'O > Fire) for which element will deal extra damage to a target.

Weapon Manufacturing (Most helpful thread about this info)

This is probably the most bullshit part of the game by far. Upon first glance, the weaponry is essentially diablo-esque in that it's random upon manufacture/seizure. For all intents and purposes this is mostly true. Aside from upgrading, it is not worth trying to make specific weapons until Code 8/Post-Game. However, for a huge investment of time and resources, you can eventually craft out a peak-efficacy weapon exactly how you want it to be. This is going to be the 'short' version of the steps required to achieve this process.

Step 1: Manufacture the base weapon of choice in a maxed out Weapons Facility until you come out with one at Rarity 8 with the lowest possible starting Power value (a variance of 0-10 from the lowest value [but depends on weapon as well, refer to the colored column in this spreadsheet for the cutoff Power value for each weapon] is acceptable in this case).
Step 2: Modify it using any weapons repeatedly until the base Power and Impact stat stop raising. If you intend to raise an Element, refer to 3b.
Step 3a: Upgrade your weapon, repeat Step 2 until it asks you to manufacture an Advance Model. Always pick the first option, the one for raw damage/impact, as it increases the base minimum cap for the impact stat.
Step 3b: Upgrade any weapons to an Advance Model, and select the relevant element for your weapon in 3a. Ensure that it only has points in the element you intend to raise. Begin modifying this into the weapon until the desired Element stops increasing. (Total caps out at 100 of any combination of elements)
Step 4: Repeat Step 2/3b again until weapon is fully upgraded and all relevant values are capped out.
Step 5a: Farm missions where you can seize sinner weapons and start hoping you get the mods you want.
Step 5b: Begin collecting Entitlement Points and as many Will'O-nites/Seleniums as possible.
Step 6: Modify your weapon with the weapons from 5a and the resources from 5b. It costs 5k EP to remove mods you don't want, do this at the Cell Garden at 6-F140. Repeat this until you have the desired collection of modifications on your weapon.

Congratulations! It has been two weeks and your beard touches the floor. You have now completed a single perfect weapon. Now do it again, For the Greater Good!

The Thorn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNbQVtrHr0w

The Thorn is the primary gimmick to the gameplay in Freedom Wars. If you've played Toukiden, it's very much reminiscent and an expanded upon concept of the Kusarigama gameplay. If you've played Lost Planet, imagine if your grappling hook could be used anywhere on the terrain or against any of the enemies/bosses. If you're familiar with Attack on Titan, it's pretty much literally the 3D Maneuver Gear. The Thorn is your primary means of traversal on the surface and a highly important combat utility. If you don't think this is the coolest poo poo, I don't know what to tell you.

While all usable Thorns have the same kind of movement options, they are divided into three classifications for their additional features:
  • Binding - This Thorn type is primarily used for disabling Abductors. It is the most efficient at Dragdowns, and gives your team members an attack boost while attached. The primary function is almost exactly like a trap out of Monster Hunter, except it only works on Sinners. The secondary function works from a distance and will disable Abductors for a short time.
  • Shielding - This Thorn is for keeping your team safe. When attached to allies, it gives them a defense boost. The primary function gives yourself and everybody close to you a defense boost. The secondary function creates a large wall that impedes the movement of and blocks attacks of Abductors and Sinners.
  • Healing - This Thorn is for healing. When attached to allies, it heals them over time. The primary function cleanses debuffs and heals from yourself and allies around you. The secondary function lays down a healing thicket (that is vulnerable to attack from everybody).

Another important detail is that you can pick up items/parts and REVIVE YOUR TEAM MATES FROM A DISTANCE by shooting them with your Thorn. The reticle will turn green to indicate one of these targets.

Your Accessory

(They're the ones in the trenchcoats)

Volunteers cannot be allowed to simply leave to the surface unsupervised, so each one is assigned an Accessory. In-game, this will function as a permanent AI partner that you can customize to an amazing degree and is functionally Your Second Character. They will even accompany you online in multiplayer. While you can equip a set of two weapons, Accessories can only handle one. In Japanese, this used synthetic vocal technology to allow you to program in things for them to respond to your orders with/address you by, but I have no idea how it'll work in other versions of the game (The answer is it didn't so it was cut, but supposedly we may see DLC voice packs instead). Part of the game is making strategic use of your Accessory, so if you play solo it is very important to ensure they are able to support your playstyle for the variety of mission objectives.

If your Accessory is KO'd and you don't revive it, it will be captured by an Abductor (either the one you are fighting or a Mobile Carrier will appear to take it). If you are unable to rescue it within 3 minutes, it will be lost and you will have to undergo a special rescue operation to retrieve it (while being saddled with a lovely, uncustomizeable spare).

Abductors

The main goal of the game is to dispatch these weird things that more or less dictate battle on the planet now. Unlike any other Hunting-Action title, often your goal here is not to specifically destroy the target, but to disable it, rescue the civilian resource it has abducted, and return them safely to the Panopticon. Failure to complete this typically results in your sentence being extended. Abductors will also often come in pairs (sometimes more), and there are a multitude of variations on any individual Abductor type. Utilize your equipment and your allies to complete the objectives and earn your freedom.

Abductors have a variety of AI modes. The primary will be self-preservation, which is basically like any regular hunt. It will prioritize targets that are actively severing limbs or attempting Dragdowns. One is retrieval, where after you have broken a pod and taken a captive Citizen to try and reclaim. It will chase the Citizen at the expense of anything else. The last mode is a panic mode, where it simply attacks twice as fast and hard to try and remove all threats.

There are 7 main archetypes of Abductor:
  • All-Purpose - These are the most common. They are the humanoid-esque builds with a single Pod in their chest. These typically have shoulder-mounted and arm-mounted artillery.
  • Carrier - These are the ones explicitly meant for Citizen transportation. These have two Pods in their chest and one in their back.
  • Artillery - These are the UFO-looking builds typically with a large cannon on the top. They have a single Pod underneath the cannon.
  • Ramosa - This is the pictured one on the far right, with the wings and claws. They are fond of pouncing attacks and long-range beam/bomb weapons. They contain a Pod under their chest.
  • Paradoxa - Essentially a Spider-Tank. Has two cannons for spreading web traps everywhere (these can be broken out of if you are attacked by anything, including allies) and loves to spin. All of the legs have outer armor that must be removed before the limb can be severed.
  • Dionaea - loving Dragons. Loves to fly around spew bullshit everywhere. Disabling of its wings is priority one.
  • Peltatum - Basically an AI-core with jet engines attached. Each of the engines can be broken (though this does not disable its flight) and it comes with a number of detachable Chains that will seek out combatants. Disabling the Chains when they are detached should be your primary concern, otherwise you wont be able to handle the fight.

Media
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuR9zVQUiNE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcGDRGZ960s

If there's anything you want added to the OP, post/PM me/whatever.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.
Thanks for posting this. So hyped. Would totally preorder if it was up on PSN right now. For... now... we wait.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

As a heads up, the producer for the game's English release has said that the PVP patch (1.20) is now live on the PSN so it'll be ready for launch.

I'm getting really excited for this, just F5ing the gently caress out of my tracking information. I spent a ton of time today messing around with the Japanese language demo (why did they not put that out overseas?) customizing my character and Accessory then seeing what I could do with the Thorn system. The only issue I have with the controls is the weird cover system, as the button to pop out of cover is square rather than aim button for some reason? Maybe that got fixed in the updates between Japanese pre-release and now.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm excited to start this up when I get home from classes tomorrow, I'm guessing I should just throw my PSN up in the IRC?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Apparently there's even a game in here beyond the character customization. Amazing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Debating taking the day off just to speg out on this. I'm hoping the online lasts more than like a week though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

They fixed those ranged, stunlocking dudes right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

When you say "anime as gently caress" do you mean like Dragonball or that game where you rub your Vita to strip monster girls or what

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Really Pants posted:

When you say "anime as gently caress" do you mean like Dragonball or that game where you rub your Vita to strip monster girls or what

all of it. there is no "kinds of anime", there is only anime. this game is anime.

RentACop posted:

Reportedly toned down, but still listed as an annoyance in anything you'll read about the game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pretty excited to play this tomorrow

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

RentACop posted:

One of the first patches they put out dealt with downgrading the difficulty of human enemies that can do that, the game's director was like "yo some of that poo poo is just you being bad but some of it is bullshit soooo" they put it in with one of their patch updates. It's really hard to find English language patch notes apparently, but if your browser has auto-translate then you can peruse them here.

Looking through it myself, having Lock-On for guns was a sorely needed addition. They've done a surprising amount of user-oriented updates and given a bunch of free content out too, kinda nice.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Emalde posted:

all of it. there is no "kinds of anime", there is only anime. this game is anime.

I just want to know if I would get arrested for playing this in public

The guns remind me a little of EDF, which is always good. Are there any giant hordes of little monsters to mow down or is it all big huge things?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really Pants posted:

I just want to know if I would get arrested for playing this in public

The guns remind me a little of EDF, which is always good. Are there any giant hordes of little monsters to mow down or is it all big huge things?

it's as insanely anime as hit game persona 4, which means you shouldn't play it in public. :angel:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Really Pants posted:

The smallest you get are direct engagements with other human panopticon residents, there is absolutely nothing resembling hordes in this game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The demo has a fight where one of the Abductors is accompanied by a ton of tiny little floating robots that try to hurt you, they respawned after awhile too while I was rescuing the civilians.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wait, I can't even kill the drat things? That's a bit disappointing.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
How is SP content on FW? My play times can be weird and in spurts so I can never rely on having a steady times slot to play handheld games.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

Wait, I can't even kill the drat things? That's a bit disappointing.

You definitely can, it's just not your usual objective.

oblomov posted:

How is SP content on FW? My play times can be weird and in spurts so I can never rely on having a steady times slot to play handheld games.

It's like any Hunting-Action title, where you can more or less do the entire thing solo and the experience simply improves with more people. This game is definitely on the hard side for Solo play, but with appropriate use of your equipment setup and Accessory, the entire game can be cleared.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Crossing my fingers I can make my accessory yell "Yes, My Lord!" like I saw in a demo video so I can live out my code geass fantasy.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
I don't know if this is finally on psn yet but amazon has download codes up http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Wars-PlayStation-Vita/dp/B00JQI471A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414486019&sr=8-1&keywords=freedom+wars and i'm downloading mine right now. I'm pleasantly suprised it's only 30 bucks. freaking warriors orochi was 40 bucks.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007
Hope its good, got a PSV TV for this haha

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Uuuuh so just FYI, The game makes you join a patpicon from a list of various cities. apparantly this will be the town your fighting for in pvp, and i guess the server you'll be on? It's also a "paid service" to switch. sooo yeah maybe we should get some consensus on what place to roll on if we are gonna play together. I just picked the Houston Patpicon since thats the closest city I live near, but I can change if need be. Kind of outta left field for me though.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

polish sausage posted:

Uuuuh so just FYI, The game makes you join a patpicon from a list of various cities. apparantly this will be the town your fighting for in pvp, and i guess the server you'll be on? It's also a "paid service" to switch. sooo yeah maybe we should get some consensus on what place to roll on if we are gonna play together. I just picked the Houston Patpicon since thats the closest city I live near, but I can change if need be. Kind of outta left field for me though.

I joined New York since I'm east coast and if this also determines matchmaking (does anyone know?) I figured I'd want people in my timezone. It's all guesswork at this point. The gamecode arrived at some point during the night and I started the download when I woke up. It's 1.5GB or so.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh right, Panopticons. I guess I'll explain that for a moment.

Panopticons are the future cities in Freedom Wars, you can join one of over 50 different ones to fight for online. You can view this list here.

According to developer replies from that article, players are not restricted from playing co-op or PVP with players from other Panopticons. So if you're in Toronto then you can fight a Madrid player or co-op with someone from Mumbai. The main deal behind Panopticons is like an online ranking system, all the points you earn playing online are sent to the game servers which rank you and your Panopticon versus everyone else's, and players who "support their Panopticon well" can earn weekly rewards. Supposedly the more players a Panopticon has, the harder the players have to work to earn their bonus.

FYI: Tokyo, Japan in the NA/EU release is not Tokyo, Japan in the JPN release. Japanese prefectures are not ranked against worldwide cities, but SCEA has said players from NA/EU can play with JPN region players.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Man, I have too much poo poo to play right now and not enough time. Maybe i'll get in on this in a few weeks.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The store that which I have a discount in, and is actually open now does not Freedom Wars in stock, but apparently Best Buy does which opens in 2 hours. So waiting it is.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

polish sausage posted:

Yeah this has pretty much no bearing at all on your experience in the game.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Our store has the R3 version. Any difference with the R1?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeHYPTMnveI

Launch trailer and article from PlayStation.

Sony extended the time window to get The Reclamation Pack from the PSN, you now have until Nov. 11th to buy it off the PSN if you want the goodies for free. If you pre-ordered from somewhere like Amazon or EB Games then you get a code anyway, just got mine in the mail from Amazon.

PVP patch out today, several weeks of DLC ranging from weapons to customization planned and some of it is free.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any goon impressions yet? I was excited for this but heard middling things from people who imported the Japanese version.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

DrManiac posted:

Any goon impressions yet? I was excited for this but heard middling things from people who imported the Japanese version.

So far the game looks really really deep. I have been through the character creation and the first few missions and have been realllly impressed with what I've seen. I love the grappling hook and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. I'm going to try to delve deeper at lunch.

Also, to change Panopticons you need to pay cash money on the PS Store. Not sure how much but I am regretting not joining the Iceland Panopticon now.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I'm going to assume that, much like Monster Hunter, this isn't something you're going to want to solo? Not sure I'll be able to convince too many friends to hop on this, after God Eater didn't really capture them, and stylistically its pretty similar.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Fancy Hat! posted:

I'm going to assume that, much like Monster Hunter, this isn't something you're going to want to solo? Not sure I'll be able to convince too many friends to hop on this, after God Eater didn't really capture them, and stylistically its pretty similar.

Emalde posted:

It's like any Hunting-Action title, where you can more or less do the entire thing solo and the experience simply improves with more people. This game is definitely on the hard side for Solo play, but with appropriate use of your equipment setup and Accessory, the entire game can be cleared.

Personally I'm planning to solo it for the most part, but I said that about Destiny and I ended up spending more time with goons than soloing stuff after a while.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Emalde posted:

Nice. I like the multiplayer in these games but my internet connection is complete garbage so I get disconnected at random times. The worst was in God Eater 2 since every five seconds it asked me if I wanted to connect again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Txn posted:

Nice. I like the multiplayer in these games but my internet connection is complete garbage so I get disconnected at random times. The worst was in God Eater 2 since every five seconds it asked me if I wanted to connect again.

that was happening to me with toukiden until I put my vita in my router's dmz. you try anything like that?

e: lol that home panopticon change dlc is $2

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 28, 2014

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Awesome! posted:

that was happening to me with toukiden until I put my vita in my router's dmz. you try anything like that?
e: Tried it, and apparently Telmex removed the DMZ settings from the router configuration.

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 28, 2014

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
you blinked more than 5 times in a minute- 10 years added

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Awesome! posted:

e: lol that home panopticon change dlc is $2

that's dumb. I still want to do it because I'm stupid and hate money.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Downloading this right now. I don't have much time for games these days thanks to working two jobs but add me for some possible online hunting / anime action at weird EST hours:

Static_Rook

he1ixx posted:

that's dumb. I still want to do it because I'm stupid and hate money.

Isn't that "DLC" just for changing your "home" city you pick at the beginning of the game? At least wait until some real stuff shows up to waste money on like me. Hello, extra $20 left in my PSN Wallet from Paypal funding, my anime slave shall be the grandest of all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Hows the hub-area of the game? I haven't seen much of it.

The reason I like Monster Hunter/God Eater so much is that the Hub has a really cool sense of place & style.

Basically I'm just hoping it's not all menues, like, say, Soul Sacrifice.

• Locked thread