Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

lesbian baphomet posted:

why does this thread title even bother mentioning Kotor

There are people in this world who like semi-decent wrpgs but not transcendental space sims. I mean to attract them to this thread, then tie them down and force them to play TIE Fighter for hours until they change their heathen ways.

E: lol "tie" them down! Haha puns are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

but kotor is already on steam

Dec 26, 2012

that + its like 6-7 years more recent than tie fighter/xwing

Dec 26, 2012

whats the difference between '94 and '98 tie fighter

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

that's not weird at all, xwa was really good too and actually a gog release might be nice because i think xwa's kind of tricky to get both running and looking right on modern systems

i actually had mine working perfectly with a ton of really well done updated textures until i hosed up the files. never bothered fixing them.

i spent so much time playing xwa, i would buy a functional digital copy in a heartbeat

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I'm p sure I still have my original discs for xwing, tie-fighter and xvt lying around somewhere. If I got them running on my win7 machine, is it still possible to do online multi?

also, I knew there was a reason I kept my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro lying around

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

01011001 posted:

98 looks better since it's run with XvT graphical capabilities, can't be run with a mouse+keyboard, and has better audio.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm just worried tie fighter won't be as cool as I remember it

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I must have been like 6 or 7 when I played these games and I never quite figured out how to end the missions. Like, some of them I would do all the objectives and then jump to hyperspace over and over and it would not end the mission. It would take like 2 hrs and then I would give up and just ctrl+alt+delete to close the program

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Machai posted:

I'm p sure I still have my original discs for xwing, tie-fighter and xvt lying around somewhere. If I got them running on my win7 machine, is it still possible to do online multi?
should be, xvt was tcp/ip compatible

presumably you can even use xfire for matchmaking?? http://social.xfire.com/games/xwvstf probably not as good & cool as the internet gaming zone tho (rip) !!

Effectronica posted:

98 looks better since it's run with XvT graphical capabilities, can't be run with a mouse+keyboard, and has better audio.
no imuse however, just redbook audio (which sounds better but is less atmospheric)

Dec 26, 2012

Effectronica posted:

hmm well that sounds solid

Sombrerotron posted:

no imuse however, just redbook audio (which sounds better but is less atmospheric)

hmm, maybe not. we'll see

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

01011001 posted:

'94 is waaaay better than '98

98 has lovely textures and canned music. imuse loving owned and the gouraud shading has aged much better than those awful textures

e: but apparently the 94 release on GOG doesn't have all the expansions while the 98 does. looks like CD-ROM gaming wins again

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Machai posted:

I must have been like 6 or 7 when I played these games and I never quite figured out how to end the missions. Like, some of them I would do all the objectives and then jump to hyperspace over and over and it would not end the mission. It would take like 2 hrs and then I would give up and just ctrl+alt+delete to close the program

Fellow 7-year old TIE Fighter player here. On these occasions, I'm pretty sure you just have to slam into the gaping hole-shaped polygon on the underside of the Star Destroyer. That will deliver you safely home and into the cool opening/closing doors main menu.

Dec 26, 2012

lol. guess this was as good a day as any to find out my y-button on my 360 controller is dead

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this is great. i hope more star wars games get rereleased. i lost my star wars battlegrounds disc, so i'm pretty choked up about that. i also lost my phantom menace disc, and it was pretty fun too.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

this is great. i hope more star wars games get rereleased. i lost my star wars battlegrounds disc, so i'm pretty choked up about that. i also lost my phantom menace disc, and it was pretty fun too.

Don't worry, there will be new Star Wars games like Star Wars Infinity and Epic Star Wars. Don't forget the new upcoming series Jedi Hearts, an RPG that uses characters from the various Disney franchises as well as Star Wars.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Jedi Hearts sounds like it would be pretty funny, to be honest

Dec 26, 2012

id play the hell out of empire hearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

01011001 posted: