Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Because Kubrick tormented his actors to make the Shining? I suppose William Friedkin would make a good example too.

I rather doubt they didn't actually know Josh was going to get kidnapped though, in real life you don't pick up the camera and start talking when something off-script happens.

I felt like I wasn't supposed to like this movie for years after it came out. Everyone was calling it cheap garbage that wasn't scary because "nothing happens and you can't see anything". But it scared me more effectively than most horror movies, and really showed how effective that format is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ah, well shut my mouth then. Is there a dvd or bluray out that has some good making of-stuff?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

I kind of wish they had kept the original cut which didn't have the story explaining the "stand in the corner" thing because having it end on that with no explanation would have been even creepier.

The first few times I saw the movie, I didn't remember the explanation by the time I got to the ending. It's really, really unsettling that way. Why is he standing there? You kind of hope he doesn't turn around.

I think it's a movie that expects its audience to play along more than most, which is a gamble, but turned out really well.

• Locked thread