Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-aA5g37sbk Here's a cool panel with the stars about how the movie affected them during and after.

A scene that doesn't get enough love is when Josh turns the camera on Heather out of anger. He's screaming at her, "Your motivation is your lost in the woods!" over and over and you can see her starting to break and then she just snaps that the camera is all she has left. It's a really heart-wrenching scene and it's the last time there's any hope whatsoever.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Book of Shadows should be approached as supplementary material for the rather-good Shadow Of The Blair Witch, AKA Curse Of The Blair Witch 2, which is based on the premise that Book Of Shadows is crass and stupid.

Watched together, it's like the play between 'reenactment' and 'actual footage' in the The Fourth Kind.

Oh my god you're so right. As much as Curse of the Blair Witch enhances the tone and universe of Blair Witch, the cat rear end that BW2 is makes this oddly enjoyable.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Book Of Shadows is actually a really good comedy and satire of 90's horror.

Like, the opening credits are set to Marilyn Manson's 'Disposable Teens', which is, like, I don't even know how many layers of comedy in a film ostensibly 'based on a true story' film about the effects of media hype. Then they introduce the The Craft goth chick and it just keeps getting better.

I haven't seen it since it came out and clearly I need to rewatch it. That mockumentary makes me think that what ended up being produced is on Gremlins 2 levels of "gently caress your cash grab."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

moselle posted:

I didn't see a figure myself but always fun to have another look.

Apparently there was someone dressed in all white off to the side to scare them but they never caught it on camera.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Here's a screenshot from the cutting room floor of what the Blair Witch might've looked like (hidden behind spoilers for scare factor)

Hey man, could be Michael Myers under there.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I love the movie now, but as a 13 year old kid on Halloween with a group of friends who finally got a copy to see on VHS and was promised pants-making GBS threads horror, I hated it.

Little did I know, it IS a terrifying movie. Just not the kind I was expecting as a dumb, overhyped kid.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Raxivace posted:

Yeah, I don't really get the complaint either. I was fine without seeing her.

The one part I was a little iffy about was "I threw the map in the river!". Part of me wishes that instead we had seen a tussle or something between the three kids over the map, with Mike taking a hold of it and maybe throwing it in a river then. OTOH you would lose the great paranoid buildup with all the arguments about who possibly took the map, who's hiding it etc.

I always thought the way to go with that was have them keep following a map and keep getting lost until they realize they're not doing anything wrong and SHOULD be out by now. But I'm not a filmmaker so even if that scene is a little dopey it's probably the right call.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

penismightier posted:

The only one of those theories I like is that Mary Brown, the old woman who claimed to see the witch and live, was the Blair Witch.

Mostly I like it because this is her fence:

Yep she's a great red herring but there's also some fun non story reasons for her weirdness. The directors put crew want ads around local colleges and the only person to reply was the that woman. She eventually became the art director in the loosest of terms and that trailer is her actual house which probably explains the similarity between the fence and the figures. Also the scene where they're in the car talking about all the weird poo poo she claimed is totally real. The actress was just chatting with them after filming and they all assumed she was still in character but no she was just this sorta crazy confessions of a dangerous mind type.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Is Curse of the Blair Witch on any of the dvd/br releases? I'm desperate to watch it again and the only place I can find it is for 3 bux on Youtube and I'd rather just own the whole kit.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I didn't think adding a conspiracy theory angle to BWP's mythos would be remotely decent but gently caress if Burkittsville 7 isn't great.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah, part of what made editing the massive amount of footage down easier (relatively) was that they cut out almost all the conflict between Josh and Heather otherwise it would seem too much like the two dudes ganging up on her.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Her narrations when reading from the history books are perfectly dopey and overwrought.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Vagabundo posted:

The kids I taught the film to a couple of years ago had an interesting discussion - at which point do you think Heather, Michael and Josh were screwed? Were they always doomed, or did they piss off the Blair Witch something fierce when they went and hosed with her stick figures and rocks and poo poo in the clearing, or was there another point that doomed them before that?

I think they were always pretty hosed but messing with the witch signs caused poo poo to get real.

Speaking of which, I want to slide to the alternate universe where they go with their original idea of the tent chase having a reveal that their pursuer is a giant stick figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mantis42 posted:

This is the plot of the found footage episode of the X-Files.

X-Cops is the best X-Files episode.

• Locked thread