Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Whatever you do, don't see the terrible, terrible sequel.

I loved the mysteries that the first movie sets up, and was dissapointed in how they follow up the story in the sequel.

The only other movie that came close to replicating this experience for me was the first Paranormal Activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

penismightier posted:

So what does that make Cannibal Holocaust, the And Then There Were None of found footage?

I like Cannibal Holocaust, but I feel that for it to work as well as Blair Witch did, it would need to edit out the whole narrative with the TV station people, and leave just the footage of the american filmmakers.

In Blair Witch, we are immediately pulled into this world where the 3 students disappeared into the woods, whereas in Cannibal Holocaust, we are conscious we are watching a film since the first moment, so we are always one step removed from the horrors we see later. In Blair Witch, we experience them along the students, knowing as much as they do about what happens to them.

That's why I also like REC (saw the Spanish version). We're experiencing the situation along with the characters, and can experience the same puzzlement and excitement.

I think one of the biggest challenges for a found footage movie is drawing you into that world, while also making sure you're following a proper narrative arc.

Like, in Blair Witch, there are edition cuts, and we as an audience can be aware of them, but they're done so well that we never feel we missed something important and can easily fill in the blanks with our imaginations, without breaking the narrative flow, and pulling us out of the movie's world back to our seats.

SMG is making me want to see Blair Witch 2 again, since I only watched it when the movie came out for rentals, and I mostly remember being disappointed they went the route of a trashy horror movie.

• Locked thread