Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

That creepy woman who tells them the legend is what really clinches it, especially because they frame that scene just like they frame the discovery of the house in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

I like to call it the Kubrick school of filmmaking

...why?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Pierson posted:

Does Blair Witch hold the record for most profit for money spent? BOM says a £60,000 budget and two hundred million in receipts, although obviously it doesn't say what the marketing budget was.

Paranormal Activity beat it, which cost a little less (15k). There's a long tradition for horror movies holding that title, it used to be Halloween.

davidspackage posted:

Because Kubrick tormented his actors to make the Shining? I suppose William Friedkin would make a good example too.

I rather doubt they didn't actually know Josh was going to get kidnapped though, in real life you don't pick up the camera and start talking when something off-script happens.

They didn't know. They were left notes each day telling them more or less what to shoot, and then the crew tormented them all night. Originally the other guy was going to get kidnapped, but Josh and Heather didn't get along so severely that they had to yank him out.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

davidspackage posted:

Ah, well shut my mouth then. Is there a dvd or bluray out that has some good making of-stuff?

The DVD commentary is really good. I'd kill for a more in-depth thing though. Apparently the Cannes cut is 2.5 hours long and I'd love to see all that lost footage. The few deleted scenes are interesting: http://blairwitch.proboards.com/thread/2421

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Book of Shadows is a gigantic loving mess but it's a weirdly compelling mess. It has car wreck value.

It's got an admirably ballsy concept and wastes no time pissing all over it, which is sort of a fun combo.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I'm preparing an effortpost on this movie (since I semi-randomly watched it recently and I find I have Thoughts about it), but before I try for the second time to fall asleep: is the commentary good enough to spend the 5-8 bucks for the Blu ray, considering I can find the movie on Netflix?

Yeah, it's worth it. There's just not that much info out about the movie, which is so weird, so any of that sorta stuff you gotta just latch onto.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

The ending for the movie got to me strongly, and not because of the implication about what happened. It's in Heather's voice. Sure, the captioning says she's saying "Mike!", but she isn't. She's screaming in bursts in the end.

One of the subtlest, creepiest touches is that the sync gets reversed at the end and when you're with Heather you hear Mike's feed so she sounds distant, and when you're with Mike you hear Heather's feed and he sounds distant.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

For some reason, adding the notion of time travel to the mix doesn't sit well with me. I think it's more disturbing for it to just literally not make sense.

Hell, that's how it's covered on CothBW. Everyone explains in detail about how it's impossible for the backpacks and the tapes to be placed there, but in the end that's where they were found.

Completely agree. The whole thing works because it simply defies logic.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The only one of those theories I like is that Mary Brown, the old woman who claimed to see the witch and live, was the Blair Witch.

Mostly I like it because this is her fence:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

weekly font posted:

Yep she's a great red herring but there's also some fun non story reasons for her weirdness. The directors put crew want ads around local colleges and the only person to reply was the that woman. She eventually became the art director in the loosest of terms and that trailer is her actual house which probably explains the similarity between the fence and the figures. Also the scene where they're in the car talking about all the weird poo poo she claimed is totally real. The actress was just chatting with them after filming and they all assumed she was still in character but no she was just this sorta crazy confessions of a dangerous mind type.

Holy poo poo, that's awesome.

Incidentally, anyone interested in the stick figures should read "Sticks," the short story that supposedly inspired them. VERY creepy.

http://books.google.com/books?id=pNgZxdPETK0C&pg=PA209&lpg=PA209&ots=MKCaf01bsP#v=onepage&q&f=false

ZBS Foundation did a great radio version of it here: http://www.zbs.org/index_new.php/store/product/sticks-o-boy-o-boy-o-the-bleeding-man-mp3

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mister J posted:

Hey SMG you should check out "The Burkittsville 7" if you haven't already: http://vimeo.com/59334058

It was made to air after The Blair Witch Project when it premiered on Showtime, and is made by the same guy who did Shadow Of The Blair Witch, except this one takes place "in universe" with the first film, as it were.

This rules.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mister J posted:

I feel like it's much better done on a technical level than Shadows. It nails the talking head aesthetic.

I also love that the same old timer plays the Burkittsville Historian in both this, which takes the original movie as real, and Shadows, which doesn't. I think he might be the Blair Witch.

The actors are better, too, the film historian woman in particular is great. The Titticutt Follies-knockoff bit is a little undercooked but other than that it's really impressive both as a sequel to the film and as its own work.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Actor Josh was supposed to make it to the end and Mike was supposed to get pulled out in the middle, but Josh and Heather wound up fighting so much and so aggressively that they had to switch it up.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I have a feeling I'm missing something but I don't have time to watch the movie again to check:

Assuming nothing had gone wrong, what were the salient things the group was supposed to record for their documentary? Honestly, it doesn't seem like there was enough there for a student's documentary.

- Film the Cemetery scene
- Film Coffin Rock scene
- Film ???, discover rock cairns (accidentally?)
- Go home because it's the end of the weekend

The only way it makes sense that they had more to do was that only the Cemetery and Coffin Rock scenes were out-in-the-field and the rest was VO stuff, and/or they had planned on coming back next weekend to film more. Or am I missing something?

Student films are usually shorts, they probably were set to just get a crappy twenty minutes of stories over footage of the woods. One of my favorite things about the film is just how lovely a director Heather is. She's undisciplined, rude, and clueless, just like a student filmmaker would be. A lot of Blair Witch's influences, from Loaded to Symbiopsychotaxiplasm to Cannibal Holocaust are all in their ways absurd horror movies about bad directing.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

The kids I taught the film to a couple of years ago had an interesting discussion - at which point do you think Heather, Michael and Josh were screwed? Were they always doomed, or did they piss off the Blair Witch something fierce when they went and hosed with her stick figures and rocks and poo poo in the clearing, or was there another point that doomed them before that?

They were always screwed I think, but there's a pretty strong line of action from Josh knocks over rock pile -> goo on Josh's pack -> Josh kidnapped -> Josh gets his tongue ripped out.

weekly font posted:

Speaking of which, I want to slide to the alternate universe where they go with their original idea of the tent chase having a reveal that their pursuer is a giant stick figure.

Sometimes I think the big difference between the quality of Blair Witch and its imitators may be how many big ideas they threw away when they realized they were stupid, like those four alternate endings. This is not very good:

penismightier fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 4, 2014

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

So SMG, as a found footage fan, (and everyone else for that matter) do you think any of the later ones are as good Blair Witch?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

No. certain segments in the V/H/S franchise come close, but i can't think of any post-99 FF movies as a whole that are as good.

I lean closer to your POV than anyone else's, I think. Only Paranormal Activity has the same visceral power to me - maybe no coincidence that both don't show the monster ever. Cloverfield is up there too but I don't really see it as part of the same tradition, it has too much polish on it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh yeah, I always forget Paranormal Activity for some reason. Solid movie, although I think it definitely has more flaws than Blair Witch.

I was actually just talking about it in the horror thread but really there are onlylike 3 or 4 found footage movies I like in their entirety and then a bunch I like in like 10 or 15 minute increments. I loving hate Cloverfield, though.

They run into trouble editorially a lot, I think. Don't forget that between its premiere and release over an hour was cut from Blair Witch. If you rock that improvised style you have to be willing to make huge, huuuuge cuts. I think a lot of newer found footage movies underestimate that or don't shoot enough footage to be able to do the same, which leaves you with like 15 minutes of the same "let's take a tour of my house with my new camera" and "WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO" fight in every movie. Blair Witch blows past that poo poo in like 3 minutes, Paranormal in like 5, and Cloverfield wisely peppers it in the middle of the film.

Like a lot of horror, for medium-talent filmmakers the style probably can only really sustain itself for the length of a short.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Blair Witch is basically the Psycho of found footage. It's canonical largely because it came 'first' and is, generally, the only one many critics have bothered to analyze or even watch. That's not to say it's bad - because it obviously isn't - but it's kind of a boring pick for an all-time favorite.

So what does that make Cannibal Holocaust, the And Then There Were None of found footage?

penismightier fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 5, 2014

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yep. And of course, the question of "any subsequent movies as good as The Blair Witch Project" has to answer "at what"?

So answer that, homie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Last Broadcast is a little flat, but it gets points for being innovative I guess.

• Locked thread