Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SSNeoman posted:

I missed the part in the James Bond films where 007 had to get hired as a part-time cookie maker. I guess it's one of those things Ian Flemming fluffed up to make the stories more exciting.

That would have improved From Russia With Love, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is pretty consistently hilarious stuff going on. The only thing to do is boggle and wait to see what happens next.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

What is the deal with those glasses?

Oh that’s a shame, just the basics.
Can you examine these, and see what they’re for?
Might take a bit. I’ll let you know when they’re done. You might want to ease up on the stealing.
I’ll give them back! I’m just investigating.
Sure… Avoid investigating any big ticket items during your visit. I really hate the embassy people.

What else is going on?

That whole “being kidnapped” thing wasn’t such a big deal, huh.

My father told me not to trust you. Something’s not adding up here.
I’m not sorry that I lied. I’m sorry that I have to tell you the truth.
Yeah, I can see that.
Your mother came back to Scotland, because I begged her to. She told me for months. That Cathedral was like her family, but you and Carson were her family. She had a responsibility to you. She had made a promise to your father… and she meant it. But I begged. I told her I believed she was the only one who could help me stop the attack. That wasn’t the lie.
What was?
I promised her she’d have round the clock MI5 protection from wheels down to meeting you at baggage claim back home. She trusted me.
There was no one watching her, was there?
No. As surely as she saved untold lives, I took hers with that lie. I took her from you with that lie. Please forgive me. Better yet. Don’t forgive me. Get angry, and leave and go home. Hi.
How was my mom involved with the Colony Operation?
Your mum stopped it.
How?
Not much is known really. The operation needed three things. Someone to develop the agent. Someone to make it in quantity. And someone to distribute it in a way that would affect the entire city. Your mum broke that chain. I don’t know how.
Do you have anything that will help me understand what my mom was doing here, and why she was involved in tracking such a dangerous group?
At first it was a police matter – but your mother was studying them for Cathedral. She had a crazy theory.
Which was?

Kate’s journal is very important because it gives us the final thing we need to advance our investigation of the safehouse. But it also brings back memories for Nancy…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClluWhZlXaY

Have a seat.
No. Dad told me you’re leaving. Why?
Nancy, it’s not like that.
Are you coming back?
I know you heard some stuff between me and your dad, but you’ve got the wrong idea kiddo.
Then what’s the right idea?
You’ll understand when you’re older.
Why is that always all you say?!
Trust me, If I could tell you everything I would. But for now, I just can’t. Now come and sit, let’s practice.
I’m sorry, I just can’t.

With Kate’s journal in hand, we can finally solve the fireplace puzzle in the safehouse.

The stones around the fireplace can be pressed inwards. You may remember that we got some information about this way back in part 4:

Truthfully we could have done the first part then, but, as you’ll see, opening the fireplace is pretty useless on its own.

Stones must be pushed in order to spell out OBSERVANT. When this is done, the floor of the fireplace opens up and something rises out of it…

This is a very simple logic puzzle using the note from Kate’s journal. I won’t belittle your intelligence by explaining why the solution is this:

What is inside the second safe? Well, there’s another box, but it’s actually unlocked for once.

A bug! Can’t pass this up. This music player’s battery is sincerely dead, though. I need to find a cord to play this.

Also included is this file:

And this:

Three bullshit lock puzzles in one day is just too many for Nancy Drew, so she goes home and plugs in her new MP3 player. Because that’s where the only USB charger in the world is.

Why is a raven like a writing desk? Ask the raven. Follow the raven to the archives. If the scientist is ever in danger, someone must tell him to run. The vaccinated will arrive while the rest of us are asleep.
I wish I knew what you were talking about.

Also, Ewan has finished fixing our new glasses!

Definitely not something the average person would have…
Aye, I’m picking up on that. Listen, we’re friends with the Americans – but I don’t trust her. I’m going up a security level. That means extra security on the lift. Passcode. Voiceprint. And skeletal recognition. You won’t be able to get down here with anyone else.

Well, Nancy Drew may not know what the glasses are for, but I do.

Her vision is augmented.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

She didn't ask for this.

And I'm really confused -- is Moira just back in her house after being abducted, with no explanation? Was it all some wacky double bluff?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Don’t forgive me. Get angry, and leave and go home. Hi.

I'm sorry, what was that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

corn in the bible posted:

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

Depending on who you ask, the answer is either "Poe wrote on both" or "I don't know."

I still don't understand a single loving thing in this game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, the diary found in the safe is unusually well-written and humorous compared to the rest of the game. It's like it was transplanted from somewhere else entirely.

Either that or it's a relic from a time before the entire development team was massacred and replaced by vat-grown clones of Ed Wood.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

She didn't ask for this.

And I'm really confused -- is Moira just back in her house after being abducted, with no explanation? Was it all some wacky double bluff?

No. It's not setting up for some twist where she betrayed you or anything, she just sort of... stops being kidnapped. And goes home. And is in no danger for the rest of the game. :shrug:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I have the hardest time following this narrative--it's like it slides through my brain without stopping to make sense along the way. I'm not used to this feeling. :psyduck:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Depending on who you ask, the answer is either "Poe wrote on both" or "I don't know."

Also "both have black quills"

In other words we need to get our rear end to a library and find Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll. The same guy who wrote Jaborwockey.

Also Kate is dumb. Tea is far superior to coffee :colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, this is just a giant puzzle conundrum.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

With her new vision, Nancy can see things that aren’t really there. She rides the elevator out of the basement, and then immediately tries to ride it back down again:

Ewan has improved security around the base by adding in pathetically simple number puzzles! As you can see, though, there are two potential solutions to this puzzle. Let’s try pressing the numbers from smallest to largest.

Largest to smallest it is, then! The reason we needed to leave and come back is that Bridget can only break into MI-5 once we solve the puzzle in the elevator.

I’ll let you go.

At this point we can take advantage of Bridget’s theft to steal spy gear from the base, but I forgot to. So we don’t.

It’s time for a new test.

Fantastic.

Ewan has proven himself to be untrustworthy. Find a way to tap his computer. Deal with what you learn as you see fit. And you will be rewarded.

Nancy Drew can’t turn down a call for help, but bugging Ewan’s computer would require going back into MI-5 again, and there’s more stuff we can do beforehand. Specifically, it is time to investigate Alec. There’s a note lying on the ground in the train station:

Since only one other person has ever even been inside the station, it obviously means Alec.

Why would you keep that note in a place anyone could find it? Why does the chair have a color lock on it? I guess Scottish culture is very different from our own.

But now, Nancy Drew finally knows Alec is definitely a spy. This is different from those other times he told her that he was a spy, because this time we’re going to illegally wiretap his person:

Kate’s safehouse computer has a program that lets us listen in on Alec’s conversation. What is Alec up to?

I did what you said – when are you going to keep your end of the bargain? Don’t give me that! She’s going to figure things out soon enough. She’s coming. Yeah, I got the bag. I’ll put it where you can find it. The dead drop location, yeah, the lockets. I get it. Just promise me you’re not going to hurt her. I want to talk to her now! I want to hear her voice! Alec Industries. Sorry, we’re not taking cases at the moment. But we’re still accepting your money.

Very suspicious. But also very boring, so let’s go wiretap Ewan’s computer instead.

Obviously, we can’t do it while he’s using his computer. So first we have to sabotage his servers.

Stop messing with that!

Nancy Drew refuses to stop messing with that, and Ewan gets mad enough to head over and fix the server thermometer himself. But I failed to hide in time, so he caught me.

So I guess we can only assume that Ewan killed her?

Anyway, what you’re really supposed to do is change the temperature and then hide in one of the server farm’s aisles so he doesn’t notice you. Ewan is unable to leave the server area until his computer is wiretapped, so there’s no time limit once you manage to evade him the first time.

These wires may seem identical, but Nancy Drew turns on her hacking augs and the problem becomes much simpler.

You’re a pleasant surprise.
The men who are following me don’t know this is over! Lark lied! There was never any back up. I’m alone out here! I’m being followed by two black cars…

Lark is Moira’s code name. The wiretap on Ewan’s computer is submitting some strange data:

The computer analyzes it, and…

Oh good.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ewan, what happens when a little child pushes the buttons in the wrong order? This is a public hotel, man!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SSNeoman posted:

Ewan, what happens when a little child pushes the buttons in the wrong order? This is a public hotel, man!

He murders the little poo poo with the power of his disapproving stare, obviously.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SSNeoman posted:

Any little kids who find their way into the elevator probably work for Mossad or something, considering that literally everyone we've met has been a spy. Maybe that's just what Scotland is like?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

I read that as "bone drugs". It says something that it didn't seem out of place until a minute or two later.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

Any little kids who find their way into the elevator probably work for Mossad or something, considering that literally everyone we've met has been a spy. Maybe that's just what Scotland is like?

That's why they had to cast a scotsman as the first Bond, at the time nobody outside of Scotland even knew what a spy was.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's an... interesting tile puzzle. It looks like it's got some distortion effects to it as well.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

This surely can't make any more sense actually playing it? It's like an alien trying to construct a human story only from fragments they randomly caught.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Robindaybird posted:

This surely can't make any more sense actually playing it? It's like an alien trying to construct a human story only from fragments they randomly caught.

This is very similar to the output of Alawar and Cateia, purveyors of Hidden Object Puzzle Adventures, and y'know what? I keep expecting to find a game by one of these companies that actually makes sense. I have so far failed terribly.

Put it like this: There was another Nancy Drew game that got LP'd. Nancy Drew and the White Wolf of Icicle Creek. It ended up making about as much sense (EDIT: Not just because it was a 2007 LP). But I will say this: At least this isn't actually a hidden object puzzle game, where every single protagonist, regardless of whatever bullshit supernatural thing is going on, has the undeclared magical power of peeling off graffiti and saying "Yup, that's the thing I was arbitrarily wanting to find!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wiretapping Ewan’s computer got us a scrambled image to reassemble. Thank Christ it’s not actually a sliding puzzle, you can swap any of the images freely to reassemble the photo. This is good, because tile puzzles are always, always terrible in adventure games. As far as I know, at no point in this game will we have to solve a 15 puzzle.

G C E E B A D F a C

I won’t be solving this puzzle until the next update, so why don’t you try to use the spy skills you’ve learned so far. Try to figure out what this sequence of letters is for, and what you do with them. Are you better at bullshit puzzles than Nancy Drew?

But whatever you do, I hope you’re excited. Because, you see, today is all about Bridget.

You might remember that, before Nancy decided to help a known terrorist organization wiretap the MI-5 mainframe, Bridget, who is really Zoe, also broke into MI-5 and stole some stuff from the spy-gear locker.

Nancy, who is not to be outdone, decides to give it a go herself.

But what top-notch security system has Ewan put his high-tech spy stuff behind?

Bejeweled. It’s… it’s just Bejeweled.

I used a walkthrough.

There’s a lot of cool stuff in there. I bet it’d make our job a lot easier. But all we can take is this:

It’s a bug, in the shape of a bug. Even though Ewan said that Bridget stole all his bugs.

And look, it’s the missing code wheel from that puzzle box we found inside the puzzle safe inside the puzzle fireplace. I don’t know why Ewan had it, I don’t think it’s ever revealed why it would be there, and as far as I know there’s also no reason he wouldn’t just give it to Nancy Drew immediately. But now we can solve another puzzle! Hooray.

Now, coincidentally, Bridget’s room has a vase with decorative fake insects that look like the bug we stole.

Perfect. Now, since this was taken directly from MI-5’s stash of gear, and Ewan said it was state-of-the-art technology, obviously to listen in on Bridget we have to travel to Kate’s safehouse.

But guess what? Because we’ve been traveling around so much, we have now run out of train tickets. Which means we have to buy some more. Which means this:

Zoe here. “This is the game I am in.”

Nancy, who has the unique ability to hear quotation marks over the phone, is suspicious.

That’s a passphrase alright, but what is it for?

The Drew girl blew my cover, but I’ll remain here at primary site until I no longer can. That little brat stole my glasses. Spent a great deal of time on Ewan watch. I’m going to work on an approach. At this point he can’t be oblivious to my presence. The Drew girl is as unaffiliated as she presented herself. My attempts to pry more information out of her have been more or less useless.

Nancy’s plan of wandering around like an idiot and talking candidly to obvious spies is, indeed, completely inscrutable. At least we got a password, though as you’ll see there’s no reason Bridget would actually say it to anyone. To proceed, we have to visit Bridget’s room again, but this time with the glasses turned on.

Why would those fingerprints be glowing, that’s stupid. Did Bridget deliberately label the painting she hid things behind? If so, why? And why is the puzzle behind it such bullshit?

So these symbols show up somewhere else, and it’s in the Queen Mary book we found in Kate’s safehouse. You know, the one that was locked up and inaccessible until we got there? The one Bridget could in no way have had access to?

For your convenience, here is the relevant page.

Click the symbols which correspond with the password we got from the bug, and the wall swings open.

Whoa, what? Bridget is… a spy?!?!? Impossible!

So now we have to find seven things hidden throughout the room, complete with a Hidden Object Game “1/7 found” marker in the inventory. We need seven things to crack this code. Fewer than seven would not be acceptable!

Seven pieces!

Orchidaceous!

I wonder if that will turn up anything in the archives.

It does!

But more importantly, it also unlocks this:

I blame Kate for everything.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Nancy’s plan of wandering around like an idiot and talking candidly to obvious spies is, indeed, completely inscrutable.

It's like the classic martial arts trick: act like an amateur who doesn't know what he's doing. Experts will have prepared to counter experts, but an amateur without a clue is inscrutable and dangerous.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Look at that safe wall texture. Just look at it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Hey guys, here's the hidden cave texture--

What do you mean it's supposed to be a safe now?

No, no one told me.

-- Best guess at how that phone call went.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

JamieTheD posted:

This is very similar to the output of Alawar and Cateia, purveyors of Hidden Object Puzzle Adventures, and y'know what? I keep expecting to find a game by one of these companies that actually makes sense. I have so far failed terribly.

Put it like this: There was another Nancy Drew game that got LP'd. Nancy Drew and the White Wolf of Icicle Creek. It ended up making about as much sense (EDIT: Not just because it was a 2007 LP). But I will say this: At least this isn't actually a hidden object puzzle game, where every single protagonist, regardless of whatever bullshit supernatural thing is going on, has the undeclared magical power of peeling off graffiti and saying "Yup, that's the thing I was arbitrarily wanting to find!"

There's certainly similarities, but Her Interactive actually predates the Hidden Object Game craze by a decade. I believe their first few games were oldschool FMV adventure games about dating vampires or some nonsense like that.

There is a Nancy Drew HOG on Steam, and the title implies it was going to be a whole spinoff series, but it seems to have been a failure because they didn't make any more of them.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SystemLogoff posted:

Hey guys, here's the hidden cave texture--

What do you mean it's supposed to be a safe now?

No, no one told me.

-- Best guess at how that phone call went.

Looking at the zoomed-out shot, it seems like the sides of the safe are supposed to be covered in big spongy panels of insulation. I have no idea why a safe would need insulation, though. Maybe so it doesn't sound hollow when someone knock on all the walls?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh god now we have to hunt around for playing cards.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Remember this?

Did you guess what it's for?

DID YOU GUESS IT WAS THIS?

DID YOU GUESS NANCY WOULD PLAY THE BAGPIPES TO OPEN A SAFE?

HOW DOES THIS EVEN OPEN THE SAFE?

WHAT IS HAPPENING

Mom definitely hid a code in Jabberwocky. By finding the letters Mom indicated, I'll be able to find the encrypted text.

Type in caretakers at cabin computer for scientist's number.
This must be the contact info for the scientist Mom placed into hiding.

Of course it is.

And gently caress it, let's just call him. Why not?

They're going to come after me again, aren't they?
Maybe. I don't know. Can you tell me why you're so important to them?
You know what. Yeah. I'm not living in fear again. I have a family!
Just stay calm. Explain how I can help.
Help? Ha! You can't help. You'll be lucky to stay alive. You know who I am? I'm a biochemist who made the wrong friend.

For some reason the assurances of crazy college-dropout Nancy Drew are not convincing.

Fast forward a year and I'm over my head. These creeps are leveraging my family against me so I'll make this formula for them, and vaccines.
Why did you say yes?
Because I care about my family more than I care about a world of strangers! Revenent took my family, until I cooperated. Your mother put us into hiding.
Why were they after you? What were they looking for?
Because I understand the Colony virus. The process to tweak that bug until they were satisfied. I'm the only one who knows that... It's too late. I'm running. I'm not hiding that from them anymore. They want my work, they can have it. I'll leave it for them to find. you won't find me or anyone else at this number again.

From now on, everything that happens is Nancy Drew's fault.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also, there's currently a Nancy Drew sale on Steam. You cannot buy the most recent titles, but you can pick up the one in which Nancy Drew is framed for arson

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, there's currently a Nancy Drew sale on Steam. You cannot buy the most recent titles, but you can pick up the one in which Nancy Drew is framed for arson

I love the dialogue options in the first pic in their gallery.

"Hey.

Bye."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Can I just point out the incredible amount of bullshit we had to go through just to get a code to an unhelpful guy who peaced out as soon as we called him?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I love with every update I have no idea how we get from one puzzle to the next or the reason Nancy is doing anything. It feels like she is just drunkenly stumbling from one nonsensically Scottish-themed puzzle to the next

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A fun fact for you from the NANCY DREW GAMES WIKI about Bridget's real identity:

quote:

Samantha Quick is a mysterious character who occasionally is mentioned/heard of in HeR's games. She goes to a school for spies in Europe. The name may be a parody of 'Samantha Swift' who is an archeologist in another video game series by MumboJumbo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

the NANCY DREW GAMES WIKI

:stare:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I love with every update I have no idea how we get from one puzzle to the next or the reason Nancy is doing anything. It feels like she is just drunkenly stumbling from one nonsensically Scottish-themed puzzle to the next

The problem is that when people make a spy thriller, they try to give everyone a secret agenda, which is an amateurish mistake. THIS GUY is a spy! THIS GIRL is an assassin! And so on.
Thing is, when everyone has a secret agenda, nobody does. It stops being a twist and becomes expected to everyone but the protagonist. Your story needs to have like 3-5 "normals" for every 1 "hidden agenda" dude. Otherwise the twists stop being twists and you just have a MGS2 scenario where everyone is trying to one-up scenario with their master plan.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

So my computer has had a catastrophic error and is now deceased. It was probably a Revenant plot, considering it is annoying and nobody was harmed.

The LP has been harmed though, since that also means I have lost the footage for the rest of the game -- and we were maybe two updates from the end, too...

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You know what you have to do.

:v:

In all seriousness though, hope everything works out well. I also hope no important-life-files were lost. :ohdear:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I back up my documents and photos, just not my raw footage for screencaps of a Nancy Drew videogame. The saddest thing about this is you all won't get to see Nancy Drew defuse bombs with her knowledge of kilts.

As a fun exercise, though, try to guess how the rest of the game would play out.

Who was really working for Revenant?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ewan. It makes the least amount of sense so that's what it will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I back up my documents and photos, just not my raw footage for screencaps of a Nancy Drew videogame. The saddest thing about this is you all won't get to see Nancy Drew defuse bombs with her knowledge of kilts.

As a fun exercise, though, try to guess how the rest of the game would play out.

Who was really working for Revenant?

Nancy.

• Locked thread