Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
:siren: :siren:7/22/15:siren::siren:: Armies of Myth is out NOW! Start drafting it ASAP. It's wildly more fun than 2-2-1!

Hex is now in not-open open beta (everyone who wants to get in can get in by signing up here: https://hextcg.com/client-download/). They're not calling it "Open Beta" for "reasons."

Post 2: Guild information
Post 3: Introduction for Magic the Gathering players

What is Hex? Hex is what is being called an MMOTCG. That is, it is a digital game that combine elements of MMOs and collectible card games (CCGs). It is made by Cryptozoic Entertainment (CZ), notably the makers of the WoWTCG, which was probably the second most successful adult-focused TCG after Magic: The Gathering for quite some time. They make other games, like some licensed stuff that niche/hobby gamers usually don't care about, and a couple fun ones that they do like Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre and Gravwell. They’re also been putting out more deck builders lately

So how is it an MMO? Good question! CZ is dividing gameplay into PvP and PvE play. In PvE, you’ll go on mission chains with divergent paths, ally with a couple friends to raid tough bosses for loot, build you champions, and level your account. There are a ton of features around these elements, and many will be discussed below.
I don’t care about the PvE stuff, is this game still for me? What’s wrong with you?! Well, the PvP is pretty comparable to Magic the Gathering, so if you want to play a game like Magic that is cheaper and takes better advantage of the digital space, you might find Hex to your liking.

So, if it’s in Beta and I lose because of a bug what happens? If you encountered a bug while you were drafting (or during a paid constructed/sealed tournament) and it lost you a match go here: http://support.hextcg.com/. Submit a ticket, they will reimburse you a draft ticket (free entry into a future draft). You will also get to keep the cards you drafted and any prizes you’ve won. There are still problems with the game, but they are VERY generous with reimbursement so you may lose time, but you will never lose money.

Aren't TCG's really expensive? They can be. Hex has a couple things going for it on this front. First, PvE is free-to-play. While you'll be able to buy PvE cards and equipment from the auction house for gold (earned in PvE, or purchased with platinum) or platinum (purchased with cash), the game is being designed so that you can progress through play, building up your deck and equipment as you go. As to PvP play, you will need to spend some money. Hex booster packs are going to retail at $2, and it's reasonable to assume that you'll be able to buy them from the auction house for <$2 (As I write this they’re hovering just below $1.30 a pop). CZ has mentioned a possible one-time award of a draft set (3 boosters and draft entry), so that you can try out PvP without an investment. If you want to be super competitive Hex WILL cost you more cash than an LCG like Netrunner. It will also be cheaper than keeping up with Magic.

If I decide to cash out, can I sell my cards for real dollars on the AH? No. This is a legal nightmare and CZ doesn't want to mess with it. They've essentially said that they do not plan on regulating the secondary market, so they aren't going to clamp down on you for selling your cards. I would expect to see retailers like MTGO Traders crop up. You'll probably also see some Cardshark type site to facilitate selling to other users.

I heard the game is being sued by Hasbro (Wizards of the Coast). Should I be scared? While I cannot give you legal advice, I can say that a lot of people have been following this and several lawyers have written/made videos on it. It sounds like the consensus is that it is extremely unlikely that Hasbro will be able to get a judge to kill Hex. It looks like they’re trying to bury them in legal fees. Some of their claims are demonstrable false, so it’s likely many will be thrown out. In the end, CZ may have to pay some money to them, but it’s unclear. Ultimately if this scares you off that’s your call. All I can say is that I kickstarted the game for $750 and I’m not losing any sleep over it.
Game Mechanics: Overview of basic game mechanics - champs, gems, basic rules, etc.

So how does the game play? Hex uses many traditional CCG and LCG mechanics but innovates by doing things that can only be done in a digital space (modifying cards in your deck, creating new cards and shuffling them into your opponent’s deck). If you’re familiar with Magic the Gathering, you should skip down to the second post and see the information for players moving over from Magic. In a game of Hex, you begin with 20 life. You’ll play resource cards called “shards” to cast spells and summon creatures. You’ll use these to attempt to reduce your opponent’s life to 0 and win the game. You can also win if your opponent needs to draw a card and there are none left in their deck. Finally, several cards have their own unique win conditions.

Hex is also notable for having champions, special characters that represent you in a game. Each champion has a charge ability that they can use to affect the game. Playing resources and certain other cards will build up charges over the course of each game. Champion abilities range wildly and help support your deck design. You’ll have access to all PvP champions as soon as you start playing. You’ll also be able to build up your own PvE champion who cannot be used in PvP.

What is PvP? To date, Hex has been exclusively PvP with a promise of PvE to come. PvP is divided among free play games where you can be matched against random opponents or challenge specific people. There is currently no match-making system. You can also play a competitive match for prizes (there is a platinum entry fee). This will be a series of games either swiss (play 3 games no matter what) or single elimination. Larger tournaments are still undergoing testing, but will be included in the game.

You can play sealed as well. In this format you will open 6 packs and make a 40 card (minimum) deck out of them. You’ll then play the other people in your sealed pool for prizes. Currently sealed queue rarely go off. Expect this to change once the release cycle gets going and sets get pre-release/release queues.

You can play the computer too, but the AI is garbage right now since it seems the AI team is working on PvE. HOWEVER, if you just started, you can play a series of “trials” against the AI with your pre-constructed deck(s). Winning each game gets you some free cards and winning them all with each deck gets you a special pack with a free rare.

What is PvE? We’ve heard a lot about PvE, but it is not currently in game (although the first dungeon is supposedly coming soon!) PvE will be the Free to Play portion of Hex. All PvP cards are allowed in PvE, but PvE cards are not allowed in PvP. In PvE play, you’ll be able to temporarily replace your champion with a mercenary allowing for weird and innovative decks.

Ultimately, PvE is supposed to have a whole host of exciting features. You’ll clear dungeons with branching paths earing cards, crafting materials, and equipment (discussed below). Clearing the dungeon will open up a 3 man raid where you and a pair of friends and/or goons can build specialty decks to take on a crazy raid boss. Want to see what raids are like? Here’s a CZ piece on one of the upcoming raid bosses (http://hextcg.com/dragon-slaying/).

Significantly, PvE will be divorced from PvP content. The cards you earn in PvE can only be used in PvE (though you can use any PvP cards in PvE). The champions you’re building up will only be used in PvE. All of this is designed with the intent that CZ can put wacky game bending cards into PvE without damaging the viability of competitive constructed play. There may be some friendly PvE vs mode in the future where you’ll be able to play your crazy, busted-rear end deck against other crazy, busted-rear end decks.

Finally, PvE will be the only source of gold once it launches. Right now you get gold for drafting PvP cards, but that will go away once PvE is implemented. You’ll want gold to roll chests, craft, and do other things. This means that we’ll see some sort of Gold>Platinum conversion rate in the future. This is CZs method for getting F2P players into PvP. You can sell your gold for Plat and buy PvP cards with it (some may even be listed for straight gold). Also, some of the equipment is supposed to be quite rare, which means some PvP players may choose to but it at the AH rather than grinding it out themselves.

What cool features differentiate Hex? Oh man, this is the super exciting part. Hex is embracing being a digital card game like none before it and they’re leveraging being digital only into some cool features.

Socketing – Bling out your cards! Some cards have sockets. You can put gems into these sockets to modify the abilities of your cards. Gems come in two flavors (major and minor). You have access to all the gems, though a single deck can only play 4 of a specific gem. Gems require you to have thresholds of their associated color to turn on – so no putting Sapphire flying gems in your mono-Ruby agro deck. It sounds like we may get new gems from time to time, and it’s unclear if they’ll add to or replace the current gems, but this is what we have for now.

Double Backs – flip that poo poo! Since the cards in Hex are virtual objects, they can have multiple “backs.” Flipping the card once will show its back, but you can flip it again to see the Double Back. Double Backs track card stats (tournament wins, damage dealt, etc.). Cards will level up with use and ultimately transform into full art versions (Foiling may or may not happen, it depends on whether they come up with a version that looks good digitally).

Gear up with equipment! In PvE you can earn equipment for your champion to wear. Like cards, equipment has varying rarities, and some will only drop from specific raid bosses or dungeons. You can use equipment to modify specific cards. You have limited slots for your equipment, so you’ll need to decide if you want to go in deep on a specific card or if you want to tweak several with single pieces.

Economy: Basic explanation of costs - how the AH works, average price ranges

Guild: Hexagoon related info will go here. Again, I will reserve the name as soon as they let me (I think being a Grand King let's me get in earlier than lower tiers). This will grow to include more info as guilds are implemented

Getting Started:
When you start, you can pick one free starter deck. I think most goons (myself included) recommend the Orcs deck, but feel free to grab whatever sounds fun. You can then use your deck against the AI in a series of trials to unlock additional free cards. Do not buy additional starter decks. It is cheaper to just get the cards you want from the AH or (for commons and uncommons) for free from goons.

Check the official forums for some budget decks:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=37984 The Op here lists the content of the starters. The thread is dedicated to looking at budget options.
Official FAQ: http://f31812b0b389f16c3943-bb9edd4f1582b9b60c1682bd9d280aa0.r48.cf2.rackcdn.com/HEX_FAQ_1-3.pdf
Need Cards? : Join the Guild and/or Ask goons! See Post 2
What is good? : Here's a set of deck lists from a recent tournament https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/131Ea9cHc-FcMOFiRLEnElTGc64XEobxV-y7L-734XCs/edit#gid=0
What should I buy/sell at?: This site will give you all the data you need to make informed auction house decisions http://hexsales.net/search

Links: Goon streamers, useful sites, etc. (Ask to be added here if you stream or have a site)

LightReaper's Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/lightreaper (Streaming 5-7 days a week in GMT)

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
:siren:PvE content:siren:

Frost Ring Arena - This is the first piece of PvE content. In the arena, you will battle 15-20 rounds of opponents with a boss fight every 5 rounds. Additionally, you can randomly fight the dragon Uruunaz at any point in round 11-14 and 16-19.

When you first play the arena, you will have to go through the beginner rounds. Rounds 1-4 are fought against enemies with reduced health, and the general consensus is that once you beat round 5 once, you don't gain much by doing it again. Fortunately, once you beat it you are allowed to skip rounds 1-5 in all future arena challenges, and you should do so.

The most essential thing to know about the arena is that right now, the best thing that can happen to you is getting paired against Uruunaz. An average arena run gives something in the neghborhood of 6900-9500 gold (depending on if you have the dungeon crawler bonus from the kickstarter). Uruunaz gives you a bunch of cards, gear, and a whopping 100,000 gold (200k w/ dungeon crawler :psyduck:). This means that you want your deck to be able to reliably beat Uruunnaz because every time you kill him, it's like getting 10-20 arena runs worth of gold in one shot. There are no hard numbers on his appearance yet, but I would estimate it's in the ballpark of 5-10% of arena runs.

Each potential enemy you can face is described here: http://www.hexprimal.com/hex-frost-ring-arena-guide/
And here is a list of the potential gear you can find as drops in the arena: http://hextcg.com/arena-pve-card-and-equipment-guide/

Goon Decks to get you through the Arena.
If you would like to add a deck you can PM me or post it in thread. It should be able to go 20-2/15-2 or better about 90%+ of the time. Please include your Uruunaz track record. Finally, if you find a deck here that is not performing ask about it in the thread - we can either see if you might be playing it wrong or if it should be removed from this list.

Low Cost Robots - Grim
Uruunaz Rating: 0/0
Grim Notes: As long as I have 1 resource and not too-many Scrap Welders in hand then I call it playable

Champion: Bertram Cragbeard
4 Gearsmith
4 War Machinist (w/ Tinkerer's Robe equipment)
4 Construct Foreman
4 Electriod
4 Charge Bot
4 Mimeobot
4 Scrap Welder
4 Pterobot

4 Construction plans: War Hulk (w/ Hulk Helm equipment)
4 Constuction plans: Hornet bot

2 Hex Geode
9 Sapphire
9 Ruby

Skarn/Harpy Combo - Karnegal
Uruunaz Rating: 2/2
Karnegal Notes: Equipment makes a big difference here and you should be able to get it all for under 50p at at AH. You can have success without it, but it definitely makes the deck more consistent. Reptilian Faceplate in particular can randomly give you game-breaking cards.

Champion: Wyatt the Sapper
4 Archmage Wrenlocke (Gloves of the Archmage)
4 Burn
4 Crackling Bolt
4 Crackling Wit (Benjamin's Orb)
4 Heat Wave
4 Kindling Skarn (Reptilian Faceplate)
4 Oracle Song
4 Ragefire
4 Salt Harpy (Briny Robes)

10 Ruby Shard
10 Sahhpire Shard
4 Shard of Innovation

Mono Ruby Aggro - Mirificus
Uruunaz Rating: 0/0

Champion: Poca
19x Ruby Shard
4x Crackling Vortex

4x Kindling Skarn (Reptilian Faceplate)
4x Lightning Elemental (Electric Flail)
4x Arena Regular
4x Psychotic Anarchist (Combat Trail Blazers)
4x Stink Troll

4x Burn (Conflagration Handguards)
4x Crackling Bolt
4x Crushing Blow
2x Ruby Aura
3x Gore Feast

Guilds are not currently implemented. However, if you need staple commons/uncommons I and other goons will be happy to mail you some for free if you tell us what you need.

Goons who will be your friends (also includes time zones and some people's trade wants/haves)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai6sxA02g4p-dFpJTm9IQ2F6ckhlRXc3b25kV1dOUFE&usp=sharing#gid=0

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 6, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Magic to Hex conversion guide.

If you’ve played Magic before, Hex is going to be very familiar, but there are some important differences you need to be aware of in order not to get stomped.

Shards and Thresholds: In Magic you play lands and tap them to produce specific colors of mana to pay for your spells. In Hex, you play shards. A basic shard will give you one charge (towards using your champion ability), give you one resource, and will increase the associated threshold by 1. If you play a wild shard you will get 1 wild threshold.
From here it gets interesting. All resources in your pool are neutral. They do not have a color (shard) affiliation. So, on turn one, if you play a Sapphire shard you will have 1/1 resources and 1 Sapphire Threshold. If you play a Ruby shard on turn 2, you will have 2/2 resources, 1 Ruby, and 1 Sapphire threshold. This is where it gets wacky. You can now play 2 cards that have cost 1 Ruby Threshold 1. Once you meet a threshold, you can play any number of cards that are at or below that threshold so long as your total resource pool is sufficient to pay their resource (casting) cost.

It’s also important to note that your resource pool does not empty between phases. At the start of your turn your resource pool will refresh to its maximum. When you play a basic shard, it will increase the current pool and the maximum by 1. Any unspent resources from your turn will persist through your opponent’s turn for activated abilities and quick actions (instants).

So, if you start your turn at 5/5 resources and play a 2 drop, you will go to 3/5 resources. If you play a shard, you’ll go up to 4/6. If on your opponent’s turn, you play a quick action for 3, you’ll go to 1/6. Then, at the beginning of your next turn, you will got back to 6/6 resources.

Combat Tricks and permanent boosts: One of the big shifts from Magic is that a lot of Hex combat tricks permanently alter your cards’ stats. This tends to make these cards significantly better in limited. A +1/+1 and flying buff can win you a combat and leave you with a buffed flier. This helps mitigate the downside of combat tricks (your opponent removing your creature or having one of their own) because you’re permanently improving your card if it works.

Permanence is also quite different in Hex than Magic. If I mesmerize your creature (can’t untap during your untap phase), that rules text is added to that card for the remainder of the game (unless you use a spell or ability to revert it). That means that if you bounce and replay the creature, it will still be unable to untap. Even if a card goes to your graveyard or is shuffled back into your deck, it will retain any changes.

Hex to Magic Keywords, Abilities and Terms: Here is a list of Magic to Hex jargon, you’ll see a lot of Magic vets using them interchangeably, but the people who have never played Magic will be using the Hex terms. I’m trying to convert my language, but I played Magic from 1996-2014, so it’s a process.

Creature – Troop
Exile - Void
First strike – Swiftstrike
Flying – Flight
Haste – Speed
Indestructible – Invincible
Instant – Quick Action
Lifelink – Lifedrain
Mana - Resources
Power – Attack (ATK)
Sorcery – Basic Action
Hexproof - Spellshield
Stack, the – Chain, the
Tap – Exhaust
Toughness – Defense (DEF)
Trample – Crush
Untap – Ready
Vigilance – Steadfast
King Burgundy - KingBurgundy

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 29, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Wait, I don't understand - reading your op it sounds like you have to pay for cards for PvP, full stop. How does it work?

Edited my question

Edit 11/7/2014: Since this is the first reply, I think I should come back and say my thoughts about the game so that people don't get scared away by these posts. Yeah, the game is not particularly f2p-friendly at all right now without the PvE, but I've put in ten dollars and this ended up being my primary videogame of the last week and a half. I spend most of my time doing drafting tournaments and have so far gone infinite, with almost a thousand cards in my collection, a ton of soon-openable chests for the PvE gear, and about 2000 platinum worth of various assets up for trade, which is way more than the ten dollars I started with. The possibility for this kind of profit may become even higher with the release of the second set of cards and the growth of non-backer population, so I think this is a very good time to get started on the game if you have a mind for competitive card games.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 8, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

MrBims posted:

Can you 'cash out' using the auction house? And how viable is it to stay completely (or near-completely) f2p playing competitive?

See the op for info on cashing out.

PvE mode is the F2P mode. PvP is certainly pay to play. We don't know what the PvE economy will be like in the future, so it's possible that you'll be able to grind PvE loot and sell it for PvP cards.

The meta is pretty small right now, so it's hard to say if it will be affordable in a year or two. Goon, Sigma-X has made an orcs deck that is very budget friendly and has preformed well so far. The only real money cards in it that I can think of are in the sideboard and can be taken out. Overall, costs will be cheaper than games like Magic but more than something like Hearthstone or Netrunner.

MrBims posted:

Wait, I don't understand - reading your op it sounds like you have to pay for cards for PvP, full stop. How does it work?

PvE cards and PvP cards are two separate things. PvP cards can be used in both formats, but PvE cards are PvE only. PvP cards come from packs they cost money. PvE cards come from the AH or grinding, they can be obtained for free.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

MrBims posted:

You do. If you want pvp cards, you have to buy packs at two dollars a pop, or you can buy them off of the auction house for currency you pay real money for. It's basically MTGO at this point. Later, when PvE comes out, there will be free to play missions that let you earn cards. These cards won't be available for competitive pvp.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Oof. With a market already saturated with quality f2p alternatives, I really didn't expect that.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

MrBims posted:

Can you 'cash out' using the auction house? And how viable is it to stay completely (or near-completely) f2p playing competitive?

You can sell off all your cards for plat or gold, and you can buy plat for a $1=100p rate, but there is no way within the game itself to turn p back into $.

It's a collectible card game so there is going to need to be some investment. There is no way to gain pvp cards currently besides the free pack you are given at start. So adding to or increasing your card pool can only be done with money. That being said, it is relatively easy to go pretty close to infinite with drafting. Packs are selling for about 1.5 in the auction house, and you need 3 packs plus 100 plat to enter a draft, if you go 3-0 in comeptitve regularly you can play pretty much for free. This is much easier in Hex as opposed to MTGO due to the much lower cost for entry.

PvE will eventually make it into the game which is going to be your primary f2p environment where it is you and other players vs AI. But pvp is not designed to be nor will it likely ever be f2p in a competitive constructed environment, again if you are very good you can probably "go infinite" in draft and have little expenditure beyond your initial drafts required for learning curve.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
A pack of cards is about $1.50 on the AH. So a draft will cost you about $5.50

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MrBims posted:

Edited my question

I think you get a freebie starting deck (pick orcs)? Theoretically you can gain "gold" (the cheap in game currency that doesn't take $$$$) and then buy cards on the Auction House for gold but it would be incredibly slow.

For new players the best strategy to build collections is probably to play drafts or maybe sealed.

If you must buy a constructed deck, get the Orc starting deck and then buy a few more copies of the "Gore Feast of Kog'Tepetl" card and some extra Throat Cutters and Te'Talca Orc Gladiators and you'll be able to throw together a reasonably competitive deck for pretty drat cheap. You can play as much as you want with that deck against AI or other players for free.

EDIT:

Here's a thread on the official game forums with effective low-cost decks:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=37984

There's some minimal cost investment necessary even with these guys, but the prices are significantly cheaper than Magic: The Gathering Online overall -- you can make a competitive deck that will consistently win matches for under $10 and maybe even under $5.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 28, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

MrBims posted:

Oof. With a market already saturated with quality f2p alternatives, I really didn't expect that.

It's important to note this game is not really F2P. ( You get a free starter deck and after doing starter trials some per-determined packs to make your deck better. ) Constructed tournaments and Limited drafts cost money. You can take your deck to the proving grounds and challenge players though.

Once PVE is in, it will be more F2P friendly.

Edit: Also as someone who has played just about every F2P digital card game, none of them compare to Hex. The best way to look at it currently without PVE is it's a cheaper, and better in my opinion, alternative to MTG.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 28, 2014

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

MrBims posted:

I would also point out that if you friend some goons the likely hood of getting a full playset of commons for free is highly likely just by having folks give them to you. They are virtually worthless monetarily, and you can't play with more than 4 copies of the same card in a deck. You can also probably pull a playset of uncommons out of goons too, might not be able to get a full uncommon playset from the same player but you could definitely scrounge it around, as uncommons are also almost universally monetarily worth pennies.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Liking the new OP, super-pumped that things are progressing toward for-reals Open Beta

edit; also we have in-game trading so goons looking for commons should have no trouble getting a playset of Set 1 (we are still waiting for Set 2 to come out which should happen soon after for-reals Open Beta)

Grim fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 28, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh, also this:

http://f31812b0b389f16c3943-bb9edd4f1582b9b60c1682bd9d280aa0.r48.cf2.rackcdn.com/HEX_FAQ_1-3.pdf

For some reason that document is very hard to find but it's the actual rules errata list for Set 1. A good read if you want a rather technical explanation of exactly how everything works and why that weird card interaction was or wasn't a bug.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, also this:

http://f31812b0b389f16c3943-bb9edd4f1582b9b60c1682bd9d280aa0.r48.cf2.rackcdn.com/HEX_FAQ_1-3.pdf

For some reason that document is very hard to find but it's the actual rules errata list for Set 1. A good read if you want a rather technical explanation of exactly how everything works and why that weird card interaction was or wasn't a bug.

Thanks for the links moving them into the OP (I've never seen the FAQ before)

EDIT: If you want to be added to the OP for goons to friend you (until guilds are out), post here with your SA name and Hex Name

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 28, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The reason I got into Hex is because it's tactically complex like a real TCG should be - I stopped playing magic ~10 years ago because I had no money but I loved the gameplay, Hex scratches that same itch for me (while also being cheaper + having mechanics you could never do with a physical tcg + etc)

Get in, choose a starter deck (I really like the Orc starter but you can check them all out here; https://hextcg.com/starter-decks/), play some games against the AI to get the jist of things, come back and tell us what you think :)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Some Numbers - Dominara, though I don't know how much I'll be around. I stopped logging in sometime in August and only got back in because I had a VIP ticket.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Gross Dude - Unicornography I'll happily give away free commons and uncommons.

Gross Dude fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 29, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

In as joestar.

The base game owns bones but I stopped due to a lack of content (not surprising since PvE and actually getting more cards in-game without paying isn't in yet.). I'll come running back as soon as more of the MMO hooks are implemented.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I looked at the Shin'Hare Militia card and was instantly sold on at least trying it. Name MrBims.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

MrBims posted:

I looked at the Shin'Hare Militia card and was instantly sold on at least trying it. Name MrBims.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Getting in on the ground floor on this sweet new thread :) Good job Karnegal.

You can hit me up at LightReaper in game for some free commons/uncommons if you're just starting out, and feel free to add me to the list of players in the OP Karnegal. Would also appreciate you pimping my twitch channel, I stream 5-7 days a week GMT evening time and I'm not too shabby at this game!

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Ground floor. I'm Disappointment in game, resident thread optimist.

I don't really stream or anything, but I do post in-depth event trip reports that no one reads and can help anyone who needs with commons and bad deck advice.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Also in on the action. One of the goon Grand King backers - you can find me in game with the same name. I was streaming a lot of limited back in alpha and early closed beta. Real life got super real and I had to put Hex on the back-burner.

That said, I've been getting back into it, and I'll likely be up and streaming and lot of limited environment stuff in the near future. Hit me up for commons and uncommons at your leisure, I should have most of them. And those that I don't shouldn't take too long to fill, since I'm positive in packs from when I started (because I'm a champ :smuggo:), and I'll probably be cracking packs for kicks and rares.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Gross Dude posted:

Gross Dude - Unicornography I'll happily give away free commons and uncommons.

I spelled my name wrong in the original post, but I fixed it.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Daraken - Daraken. Shocking, I know.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

KazigluBey - KazigluBey . Just started out, went for Dwarves, liking things thus far.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
In as Fleshmire noobs can feel free to hit me up for commons uncommons that I've already finnished a playset of.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
In as Slifter, not super active due to lack of content. When things get interesting I'll be around more.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I can also be hit up for commons. I don't think I have enough spare uncommons to give out; you're free to ask, but chances are good I'll say no.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
So how much does a T1 deck cost in this game right now? Ignoring whatever the cheapo RDW equivalent is.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I just played against a deck full of Lixil, Time Ripple, Murder, Countermagic and Midnight Shepherds, using the starter Shin deck. That was the least fun match I've had of any card game in a very long time. My opponent consistently had more actions to do in my turn than I did, it was just thirty minutes of waiting for an Onslaught card that never came and just watching the cards on the field shrink so small as to be indistinguishable.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 29, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Equilibrium posted:

So how much does a T1 deck cost in this game right now? Ignoring whatever the cheapo RDW equivalent is.

Hrm. I haven't done much pricing lately because I have almost a full play set, but at a guess, looking at the current meta:

You can build a very effective "gorefeast" based deck for as little as $10, but the average cost for top tier competitive deck would probably be closer to $30 - $50. The two most expensive "chase" legendary cards are ~$15-20 each or so right now I think, though, but they're not required for all the t tier decks. You could probably blow as much as $100 on a single deck if you were really trying.

(Downside of the gorefeast decks are they're generally aggro based and thus vulnerable if they get stalled out).

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

MrBims posted:

I just played against a deck full of Lixil, Time Ripple, Murder, Countermagic and Midnight Shepherds, using the starter Shin deck. That was the least fun match I've had of any card game in a very long time. My opponent consistently had more actions to do in my turn than I did, it was just thirty minutes of waiting for an Onslaught card that never came and just watching the cards on the field shrink so small as to be indistinguishable.

It's the equivalent of playing a Magic Starter Deck against something from the competitive standard environment. Sure, you can win, but it's certainly not likely.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm. I haven't done much pricing lately because I have almost a full play set, but at a guess, looking at the current meta:

You can build a very effective "gorefeast" based deck for as little as $10, but the average cost for top tier competitive deck would probably be closer to $30 - $50. The two most expensive "chase" legendary cards are ~$15-20 each or so right now I think, though, but they're not required for all the t tier decks. You could probably blow as much as $100 on a single deck if you were really trying.

(Downside of the gorefeast decks are they're generally aggro based and thus vulnerable if they get stalled out).

BD control which is arguably the best deck, currently runs 4 copies of both Angel of dawn and Vampire King which are both ~15 apiece which is $120. That being said the meta is pretty open at the moment.

Big top tier decks at the moment:

Mono Sapphire Control - 4 copies of Mastery of Time (L), and 4 Menacing Gralks (R) Possibly 4 of the Legendary wizard that lets you draw when you cast actions.
Mono Blood Control - Probably should be running Vamp Kings as well as Life Drains, but can get by with out the vamp kings.
Blood Diamond Control - Previously mentioned 8 chase Legendaries.
Tupact - This one is fairly cheap as well more money spread across more cards as it uses a number of non-chase rares
GoreFeast - Also pretty cheap I think your main rares are Gorefeast which are a couple bucks a pop.

Gorefeast I would argue is in the worst spot right now too. It requires the getting that damage out fast, and is pretty weak against BD, MBC, and MSC due to extinctions and gralks shutting down your whole line. That being said it can run out T4 wins in optimal situations reliably.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Brunellus
I can hook up new folks with some commons and uncommons. Tell me a bit about what you're trying to build and I'll try to throw you a few helpful rares.

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
Started playing this about a month ago. Did a few drafts and as an old MTG player this is basically the online CCG I have been waiting for. IGN Xobraix feel free to add me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Here is Stovetop posted:

BD control which is arguably the best deck, currently runs 4 copies of both Angel of dawn and Vampire King which are both ~15 apiece which is $120. That being said the meta is pretty open at the moment.

Big top tier decks at the moment:

Mono Sapphire Control - 4 copies of Mastery of Time (L), and 4 Menacing Gralks (R) Possibly 4 of the Legendary wizard that lets you draw when you cast actions.
Mono Blood Control - Probably should be running Vamp Kings as well as Life Drains, but can get by with out the vamp kings.
Blood Diamond Control - Previously mentioned 8 chase Legendaries.
Tupact - This one is fairly cheap as well more money spread across more cards as it uses a number of non-chase rares
GoreFeast - Also pretty cheap I think your main rares are Gorefeast which are a couple bucks a pop.

Gorefeast I would argue is in the worst spot right now too. It requires the getting that damage out fast, and is pretty weak against BD, MBC, and MSC due to extinctions and gralks shutting down your whole line. That being said it can run out T4 wins in optimal situations reliably.

Yeah, that seems about right. To put some numbers on that, a Mastery of Time right now would run you somewhere around $8-$9 and a Menacing Gralk would be $1.50-$2.00. A single Gore Feast card is about $1.50 - $2.00. Last time I checked Life Drains they were around $2.00.

Here are some decklists that did well in the September tournament:

https://hextcg.com/september-vip-undefeated-decklists/

All that said I think most of the action right now is in draft rather than in constructed deck play. Not completely sure why that is but suspect it's that draft is more accessible to new players.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

MrBims posted:

Hex is trying to be the one quality CCG alternative. It really isn't a F2P game and I don't think they market it as such. It is a free to play as Magic the Gathering is.

The game is fun but the client is a bit buggy and a lot of the stuff promised in their kickstarter (doublebacks, PVE, etc) are still absent.

You can build a T1 deck for somewhere in the vicinity of $160 I believe. You can buy platinum, their in-game currency that is supposed to translate into cents, at a discount, by buying a discounted gift card that their merchant service will take. It varies month to month, their main forums have a thread about it.

The most expensive T1 deck runs 8 cards that run ~$15 each, 8 cards that run ~$3 each, and then some very cheap cards. I am working from memory and prices may have shifted in the last month as people are coming into the game in larger numbers.

If you are any good at card games you can play drafts for very, very cheap - a draft with packs from the auction house is about $5-$5.50, with a pack costing $1.30-$1.50 of that - you can win packs for playing, and thus make it very cheap. If you are an average player in the swiss queues you'll effectively be paying about $4.00 a draft, because you'll be winning a pack on average, and you'll be keeping the cards you drafted (some of which are worth money, but which I am not counting in these estimated costs/winnings).

This is in comparison to MTGO drafts which are closer to $10 each, including average winnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy - KingBurgundy

----

I'm on about once a week right now for a draft, and a bit extra on VIP weekends. I'm sure it will be a lot more once things like the PVE are in.

• Locked thread