Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I wonder why it has the part about voiding the card first. I can't think of any implications that has unless there are going to be cards that react to being voided/voiding other cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Thoom posted:

I wonder why it has the part about voiding the card first. I can't think of any implications that has unless there are going to be cards that react to being voided/voiding other cards.

I'm not sure I even understand the card. So the target card is voided, but if you bring it back from the void to your hand, you can play it for free? Or you play it for free, but it's immediately voided?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
The voiding feels tacked on to prevent a negative interaction with another card. Either from the current sets or a future set.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
it seems just like an awkward clone of a magic card so they tacked on that clause because magic uses it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The card gets played automagically, the voiding is just bad templating. Not a very good card, honestly. A 3-drop X/1 without evasion is unlikely to get in very many hits over the course of the game and there's a lot of potential for misses or just general awkward situations (Talyson is the only creature on the board, you flip Ruby Lance, gg). He's no Narset.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure I even understand the card. So the target card is voided, but if you bring it back from the void to your hand, you can play it for free? Or you play it for free, but it's immediately voided?

When you hit a guy, immediately the top card of your deck goes into the void and then is played from the void. If you can't cast it, it stays in the void, you don't get to draw it or whatever.

The whole voiding thing is pretty much a holdover from the same way that Magic templates things, because if you don't, you get a lot of awkward edgecase interactions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ah, so it's that way to avoid it being a "Draw" effect basically, so that it doesn't trigger things like Incantation of Ascendance?

Shame. I am having a ton of fun lately with a Chimes/Ascendance/Ragefire/Fulmination deck. It's not Tier One but it's very, very Johnny. Just had a game where I managed to chain six straight extra turns via Chimed MoT's, then closed out the win with a 20/20 Lightning Armada.

On the other hand I've had a couple of losses today against newbie Shin'Hare decks (Heat Wave can only do so much!)

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Yeah, there's that. There's also the fact that if you choose not to play it for whatever reason, the permanent change to cost would be a problem if it goes to the graveyard. There aren't many things I can think to do with it off the top of my head, but like people said it's more preventative medicine than anything else

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Vincent Valentine posted:

Yeah, there's that. There's also the fact that if you choose not to play it for whatever reason, the permanent change to cost would be a problem if it goes to the graveyard. There aren't many things I can think to do with it off the top of my head, but like people said it's more preventative medicine than anything else

Er, it doesn't say the cost changes to zero, it says to put it into play for free, ala Angel of Dawn--the cost doesn't change there, it just goes into play for free.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The other interaction I can think of is things like Skarn, effects that trigger when cards are "played", i.e., played from your hand. That would keep the card from triggering that kind of effect.

Seems like a decent card to be buffed with Tunneling but it would take more deck-stacking effects like Captain of the Dragon Guard to be really effective.

Can cards in the Void be targeted? If not then voiding the card first then playing it from the void could prevent counters.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 5, 2014

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The other interaction I can think of is things like Skarn, effects that trigger when cards are "played", i.e., played from your hand. That would keep the card from triggering that kind of effect.

Seems like a decent card to be buffed with Tunneling but it would take more deck-stacking effects like Captain of the Dragon Guard to be really effective.

Can cards in the Void be targeted? If not then voiding the card first then playing it from the void could prevent counters.
Well Angel of Dawn doesn't currently go on the chain either. And now this conversation is making me want to try Captain of the Dragon Guard in B/D control.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

LightReaper posted:

Well Angel of Dawn doesn't currently go on the chain either. And now this conversation is making me want to try Captain of the Dragon Guard in B/D control.

Yeah, it doesn't, but supposedly it should, that's just a bug that hasn't been fixed for forever. Or at least that was the story last time I saw discussion of it on the forums.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

LightReaper posted:

I cracked an Angel of Dawn P1P1 about 6 months ago and drafted a Captain as well.

Casting the Captain after my opponent killed my Angel felt as good as you'd expect.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Look at this goofy rear end draft deck

Got a T-Hex to sub in for the Honeycap as a 3rd to last pick

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I just started playing as 'ninb'. I'm just messing around w/ an orc deck and a few orc cards and removals I bought on the AH. It sounds like if I want to get more cards as a new player it's best to do swiss booster drafts, is that right?

This guy did an EV analysis for draft types :aaa:
http://hextcgpro.com/should-you-play-in-competitive-or-swiss-drafts/

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pawn 17 posted:

I just started playing as 'ninb'. I'm just messing around w/ an orc deck and a few orc cards and removals I bought on the AH. It sounds like if I want to get more cards as a new player it's best to do swiss booster drafts, is that right?

The article bases everything on an 8-4 payout, which doesn't exist yet, so I'm really confused as to why he bother publishing it at all.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Some Numbers posted:

The article bases everything on an 8-4 payout, which doesn't exist yet, so I'm really confused as to why he bother publishing it at all.

It includes 5-3-2-2 as well, and the resulting math isn't different from 8-4 in shape, just in magnitude.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Some Numbers posted:

It was published like 6 months ago.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Thoom posted:

It includes 5-3-2-2 as well, and the resulting math isn't different from 8-4 in shape, just in magnitude.

It includes a footnote about 5-3-2-2 basically saying "no one should do this, because Swiss and 8-4 are both superior," which isn't wrong, but seems to miss the point.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Pawn 17 posted:

I've been doing a mix of swiss and competitive drafting. Started with ten dollars and a pack from Grim, and now I have 800 commons and uncommons and still drafting, though I'm sometimes two or three bad tournies away from not being able to continue without needing an influx of funds or packs. I think that legendary and rare card prices are trending downwards in a way that is making infinite drafting less possible than it was last week, but it is still definitely a good way to start a collection.

Don't go straight into drafting - I suggest watching some videos from streamers drafting and reading up on the current meta first.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Some Numbers posted:

It includes a footnote about 5-3-2-2 basically saying "no one should do this, because Swiss and 8-4 are both superior," which isn't wrong, but seems to miss the point.

That's not what it says. It says swiss is superior to 5-3-2-2 in the situations where swiss would be superior to 8-4, and 8-4 is superior to 5-3-2-2 in the situations where 8-4 would be superior to swiss. But that goes both ways: if 8-4 is superior to swiss given your win rate, so is 5-3-2-2.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea that article was released before drafting was so it was being based on assumption from other games - also I believe the original article had semi-competitive with a 4-3-2-2 payout which I imagine would be worse than swiss

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that math's been done for Magic Online a few times.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

MrBims posted:

I've been doing a mix of swiss and competitive drafting. Started with ten dollars and a pack from Grim, and now I have 800 commons and uncommons and still drafting, though I'm sometimes two or three bad tournies away from not being able to continue without needing an influx of funds or packs. I think that legendary and rare card prices are trending downwards in a way that is making infinite drafting less possible than it was last week, but it is still definitely a good way to start a collection.

Don't go straight into drafting - I suggest watching some videos from streamers drafting and reading up on the current meta first.

OK thanks. Is the article in the OP still up to date enough for the meta? (http://www.hextechs.tv/articles/tiers-of-joy-a-comprehensive-look-at-the-metagame/)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

MrBims posted:

I think that legendary and rare card prices are trending downwards in a way that is making infinite drafting less possible than it was last week, but it is still definitely a good way to start a collection.

I think the current value is kind of impressive considering how many KS packs there were and how many free cards are given away everytime someone gets a draft ticket.

Pawn 17 posted:

OK thanks. Is the article in the OP still up to date enough for the meta? (http://www.hextechs.tv/articles/tiers-of-joy-a-comprehensive-look-at-the-metagame/)

That's a July article and still somewhat out of date, here's one that contains what most people consider tier 1 decks. ( Missing the Midnight Judgement deck though, but some people don't consider it a tier 1 deck. ) http://hextcgpro.com/wurtil-wednesday-welcome-to-beta-tier-1-is-on-your-left/

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Playing Chimes Burn is a good way to have a nervous breakdown, godamn. Fun like no other deck in constructed is right now.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

LightReaper posted:

Playing Chimes Burn is a good way to have a nervous breakdown, godamn. Fun like no other deck in constructed is right now.

I don't think what happened with the Peek was a bug. They both resolve simultaneously, so you tried grabbing the same Ragefire twice.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Tamba posted:

I don't think what happened with the Peek was a bug. They both resolve simultaneously, so you tried grabbing the same Ragefire twice.
I'm not sure I buy that. If you cast a spell that gets Chimed, you get the option to choose a different target for the second spell, allows you to time ripple two permanents for example. Peek isn't technically targeting in the same way other spells are, but it should in theory follow the same rules of being treated as a new copy of the spell.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

LightReaper posted:

This sounds interesting. List me?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

This sounds interesting. List me?
here

Ctrl + F for Bazou for the list, I've got a modified side board but my main deck is identical.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've been putting together a Chimes deck myself to screw around with in case Set 2 isn't out in time for this months VIP constructed, except I ended up creating a kind of Midnight Judgement frankenstein instead

It uh... it's not good, but it's been pretty fun while I was testing it out!

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=10284

quote:

Champion: Kranok

Troops
3x Living Totem
3x Lixil, the Deathless Gem
1x Loregoyle
4x Ascetic Aspirant
3x Xentoth's Inquisitor [Prime Blood Orb of Cruelty]

Spells
2x Adaptable Infusion Device
2x Call The Grave
4x Repel
2x Soul Marble
3x Circle of Preservation
1x Pact of Pain
4x Relentless Corruption
1x Secret Laboratory
2x Judgement
1x Chimes of the Zodiac
1x Resurrection

Resources
6x Blood Shard
11x Diamond Shard
1x Ruby Shard
1x Sapphire Shard
3x Shards of Fate
1x Wild Shard

Reserves
3x Crazed Rummaging
4x Reversion
4x Life Siphon
2x Midnight Shepherd
2x Necessary Sacrifice
Everything is built around Relentless Corruption & Ascetic Aspirant, with plenty of dumb concessions made along the way

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

LightReaper posted:

here

Ctrl + F for Bazou for the list, I've got a modified side board but my main deck is identical.

Hmm, I'm pretty close, but I still need two more Mastery of Times.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Grim posted:

I've been putting together a Chimes deck myself to screw around with in case Set 2 isn't out in time for this months VIP constructed, except I ended up creating a kind of Midnight Judgement frankenstein instead

It uh... it's not good, but it's been pretty fun while I was testing it out!

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=10284
Everything is built around Relentless Corruption & Ascetic Aspirant, with plenty of dumb concessions made along the way

This is the variant I've been playing with:

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=10155

It just seems a shame not to include Incantations of Ascendance in any deck that's using Cerebral Fulmination. It's pretty strong against most things but is vulnerable to blood/diamond, which isn't a good thing to be vulnerable to. It has a lot of stuff in there to counter aggro strategies, which may be less necessary in the current meta.

The sad thing is that Drowned Shrine of Ulthar in Set 2 is going to make card-draw decks a lot weaker. I may sidebar in some imp hoodlums, not sure.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Joined as Virulent.

I picked the Dwarf Genius deck and I'm having a lot of fun with it after a few tweaks.

I've only played a few games so I really don't know too much at the moment. How do you flip cards to the double back to see individual card statistics? I had three treasure chests and just rolled them. I didn't get anything from them, I can't open then and they are still in my inventory so what should I read to understand what they do?

I'm interested in building a Shin'hare deck (thanks for the advice in the OP to not buy decks outright) so if anyone feels generous enough to donate a few commons I'd greatly appreciate it.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Helical Nightmares posted:

Joined as Virulent.

I picked the Dwarf Genius deck and I'm having a lot of fun with it after a few tweaks.

I've only played a few games so I really don't know too much at the moment. How do you flip cards to the double back to see individual card statistics? I had three treasure chests and just rolled them. I didn't get anything from them, I can't open then and they are still in my inventory so what should I read to understand what they do?

I'm interested in building a Shin'hare deck (thanks for the advice in the OP to not buy decks outright) so if anyone feels generous enough to donate a few commons I'd greatly appreciate it.

Doubleback doesn't exist yet, and chests can't be opened yet.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
:siren:Tournament Update:siren:

I got the last IGN I needed. So I did the matchings! I had two pretty good timezone clumps, each with 4 people in them. So the first two rounds should be easy for you all to schedule. Within those clumps, I used random.org to generate who was playing who.

The format is SA name (IGN name).

First round:
Planedriver (Avecbox) vs. Blazing Zero (Zeroh)
MrBims (MrBims) vs. Padomyme (Xobraix)

Sigma-X (Clark) vs. Mikujin (Mikujin)
Vilgan (Vilgan) vs. Some Numbers (Dominara)

Important reminders!

Post the winning move of each game, or have your opponent post his concession.

Limited edition sleeves for the best two writeups! Put some effort into your storytelling!

You have four days to arrange a time! (so by November 10th) If you opponent hasn't responded to you after four days, they are *Bye*. Just post here. Note that the scheduled time can be more than four days from now. I just want to make sure people are talking to each other. For example: You can schedule to play on November 11th, no problem. But there has to be an agreement reached by the 10th.

You don't need to tell us when you're scheduled, only if you've failed to schedule.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Vilgan, let me know when you're free; I'll work around your schedule.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I don't know how viable it would be, but I was thinking about trying out a Wild/Saph constructed deck focusing on Dreamer and giving it spellshield. Here's what I came up with, probably need to work in some Time Ripples. http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=10280

Helical Nightmares posted:

Joined as Virulent.

Sent you a ton of commons, enjoy!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Afgad posted:

:siren:Tournament Update:siren:

I got the last IGN I needed. So I did the matchings! I had two pretty good timezone clumps, each with 4 people in them. So the first two rounds should be easy for you all to schedule. Within those clumps, I used random.org to generate who was playing who.

The format is SA name (IGN name).

First round:
Planedriver (Avecbox) vs. Blazing Zero (Zeroh)
MrBims (MrBims) vs. Padomyme (Xobraix)

Sigma-X (Clark) vs. Mikujin (Mikujin)
Vilgan (Vilgan) vs. Some Numbers (Dominara)

Important reminders!

Post the winning move of each game, or have your opponent post his concession.

Limited edition sleeves for the best two writeups! Put some effort into your storytelling!

You have four days to arrange a time! (so by November 10th) If you opponent hasn't responded to you after four days, they are *Bye*. Just post here. Note that the scheduled time can be more than four days from now. I just want to make sure people are talking to each other. For example: You can schedule to play on November 11th, no problem. But there has to be an agreement reached by the 10th.

You don't need to tell us when you're scheduled, only if you've failed to schedule.

Just let me know who to send the codes to - i'll save a step and send them directly to the winners instead of to you then to them. Unless Sigma wins, screw that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
So my client patched today, supposedly to fix the priority bug, and whelp, not fixed woo woo!

• Locked thread