Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought it was fine. It's dumb in the right ways for wrestling, and the promo segments being written and shot like telenovelas is perfect. I'll watch it next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love how the presentation is basically Iron Chef except Mexican wrestling. They even have a Chairman Kaga character.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Watched it. That was a pretty good main event. I'm amazed they had fake biker go over the lady, especially after giving her a video package and him the jobber entrance. The first match was awful. They need to stop cutting every two god drat seconds, it's worse than WWE and I found myself actually disoriented a few times. The backstage segments are amazing.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Someone put the main event on YouTube if you have yet to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwyyAza3jag

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I'm not a huge fan of these camera angles. The commentators aren't amazing (unlike Mexican football announcements.)

I do like Puma Luchas though.

.... Wait Johnny Mundo won? Lucha Underground is unwatchable.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Did someone say one of the corporate goons is B-boy because that's pretty loving cool.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Daniel Bryan posted:

Thanks.
I have limited hope for the commentators to grow into a great duo, and I hope they stop cutting to them (especially with the much worse camera quality) so often.

It's pretty funny to see Ricochet apparently interpreting "lucha" as "do more unnecessary flips".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hate Striker but Vampiro didn't bother me.

The setting and weird cinematic approach is interesting and sets this apart.

The roster seems reasonably talented including a mix of people I recognize and people I'm curious about. So that's good. Then again there's some people in reocgnize and have no desire to see so that's not good. But you take the good with the bad.

Hey, I'm in. I much rather spend an hour watching a wildcard like this than the stagnant stuff WWE and TNA are serving up. Something as simple as the owner browbeating Chavo for failing to take out Blue Demon and teasing bringing in someone dangerous is just a little interesting story to keep me interested.

I am highly amused by the Cuban wrestler who got a guy from Kentucky to honor Aztec culture. It makes me want to bring Prince a Puma (with the jaguar spirit animal) to my TEW game.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Wazzu posted:

Thanks.
I have limited hope for the commentators to grow into a great duo, and I hope they stop cutting to them (especially with the much worse camera quality) so often.

It's pretty funny to see Ricochet apparently interpreting "lucha" as "do more unnecessary flips".

Lucha Underground is not even a little bit about lucha

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

oatgan posted:

Matt Striker has apparently trained really hard to find and replace any mention of "wrestlers/wrestling" with "luchadores/lucha libre".

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Ivelisse wasn't on the first show, correct? I don't give one red gently caress about anyone on this roster aside from her and Ricochet.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i'm kind of excited for pentagón jr but i guess he's not gonna be doing the "cutting up guys' foreheads w/ fan-provided broken beer bottles" stuff he does on the mexican indies

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Did anybody see who they ended up with to call the Unimas version of the show? I seem to remember trouble landing on a Spanish announce team was a key issue that pushed back the show launch.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hugo Savinovich and Vampiro.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Daniel Bryan posted:

That was excellent

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

oatgan posted:

The rumors floating around ~newz sitez~ was that the first tapings were agented by Chavo who was pushing for a more US TV focused ring style and after bad feedback appeared online the next few tapings switched to a more traditional Mexican style of wrestling.

I'm pretty interested in seeing if that is true or not.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I liked the commentary because it wasn't two dudes jerking each other off and they were actually story telling the match.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I like Striker because he makes it seem like a sport and tries to have a reason for everything the wrestlers do.

Vampiro though...brother. Brother. Brother.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

EugeneJ posted:

That was excellent

NitroMorrisonMundo still can't hit the split-legged corkscrew moonsault. Though I swear half the time is that his opponents don't lay far enough from the corner.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I missed the first episode, so thanks to the dude who posted the main event. Prince Pumas is so drat smooth, and I forgot how much I miss the Shaman of Sexy. The announcing was fine but I could do without the random cuts to an upshot of a sweaty Matt Striker.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

coconono posted:

I liked the commentary because it wasn't two dudes jerking each other off and they were actually story telling the match.

i liked that aspect of it but something about it was still just really bad

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spermgod posted:

That something is called Matt Striker.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can't wait for Yoshi Tatsu to show up in this so Matt Striker can continue listing off his collection of animes.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
at least they probably wouldnt call their japanese stable The Yellow Wave like CMLL did

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Spermgod posted:

Not too much emotion and the way they speak makes them sound like they're scripted.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 3, 2014

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
also the CHECK OUT THAT TOP DOWN VIEW YO ITS SO COOL parts were as jarring as the camera angles themselves

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I never even liked the top down view in ladder matches and such. It's weird. The editing also sucked in this all together, with so many line jumps that I often got confused about where poo poo was happening in the ring.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
AJPW used to use a overhead kinda 3/4 view that was great for tag matces cause you could see everything. if they want unusual camera angles they should copy that.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

HulkaMatt posted:

Not too much emotion and the way they speak makes them sound like they're scripted.

I only watched the main event but I thought it was kind of corny how they kept bringing up the 100k cash prize. Otherwise I thought it was a significant step up from non-Regal WWE commentary, but that's obviously a perilously low bar.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grozz Nuy posted:

I only watched the main event but I thought it was kind of corny how they kept bringing up the 100k cash prize.

If you watch it in the context of a Mark Burnett show (like Survivor or The Apprentice) it makes more sense. Basically they're treating it like a reality show similar to The Contender, it seems.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you watch it in the context of a Mark Burnett show (like Survivor or The Apprentice) it makes more sense. Basically they're treating it like a reality show similar to The Contender, it seems.

Isn't the money only the macguffin, for lack of a better term, in the first episode? Cause he gave it to Ezekiel Jackson at the end.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Isn't the money only the macguffin, for lack of a better term, in the first episode? Cause he gave it to Ezekiel Jackson at the end.

I may have misread or misheard but I thought they were doing that every episode.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ADR says he's going to be on Lucha Underground in 2015.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

I may have misread or misheard but I thought they were doing that every episode.

I thought it was just a "signing bonus."

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
If this was TNA, they'd do it every week.

And then do nothing with the people they gave it to.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

If this was TNA, they'd do it every week.

And then do nothing with the people they gave it to.

Anyone who wins it should just not show up again for a three months because they don't need the money and are on vacation now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
At least with a cash prize we should be seeing less DQ endings.

At least until ADR comes in and doesn't need it. Because he's a Mexican aristocrat, you see. But of course, you already know that.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
"The Lucha Underground television show produced roughly 8,000 viewers for El Rey Network on Wednesday."

Most watched show ever on El Rey.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
For a cable channel which apparently needs a set top box, three decoders and a warp whistle to access, 8k viewers sounds like a solid amount.

They really need to get the El Rey shows on Hulu asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
I just wish it was in Time Warner Cable's El Rey VOD section at this point. It'd be a start, anyway.

• Locked thread