Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

TheJoker138 posted:

I want Havoc to show up and be very disappointed with his son.

Havok is a woman! She seems a bit young to be that guy's mother though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
They could always really stretch it and use Johnny Devine as his his dad, he was Havoc in TNA when he was in that terrible Serotonin stable.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

Apparently she's the go to women's wrestler of SOA rip offs.

If she was an SOA ripoff, someone would have beaten her to death mid-angle just as it looked like she was about to do something that even remotely threatened the club's status quo.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

If she was an SOA ripoff, someone would have beaten her to death mid-angle just as it looked like she was about to do something that even remotely threatened the club's status quo.
bro

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's accurate but there's really no reason to subject innocents to the mental and emotional problems of Kurt Sutter in non SOA threads. I mean, they're just wrestling fans. They're not prepared for that level of depraved, no talent, hack writing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
*tweets about 'cunts' for several hours*

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
next week has Fénix vs Drago vs Pentagón Jr. so that should be fun. looking forward to week 4 also just for the sheer wtf factor of Ricochet vs. Ezekiel Jackson in a street fight

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Well, it was better than Impact, I'll say that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

fart blood posted:

Well, it was better than Impact, I'll say that.

So is literally cutting off your own genitals. That's some faint praise.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
So is this any good at least? Is it a good competitor to ROH or something like that?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Another Person posted:

So is this any good at least? Is it a good competitor to ROH or something like that?

It's really good, you should watch it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Watching it now, and wow do they need to get an audio engineer to look at commentary setups. Vampiro sounds like total poo poo, their gear needs some fiddling. He sounds all breathy and unclear, because the mic is just too close to his breath.

Liking it all so far, it is taking it all as seriously as it needs to be. It is like watching a TV show, rather than a sport, and I like that. The production outside of that audio issue is just such a refreshing change. It looks like a movie representation of a wrestling show, rather than the wrestling I am used to.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

in zero universe is lucha underground competition to ROH both in audience or quality but i have fun watching it every week and really thats all i ask for from wrestling

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, as soon as I started watching I realised this is totally different altogether. I had no idea what to expect going in, so I went for the first lower level televised show I could think of. This seedier feeling, but way more exciting. I also am really loving the production. It all feels so warm and glowing, compared to the usual sports entertainment cold but clear lighting, and all of the camera angles are tight and full of action. Don't get me wrong tho, I am not saying it is amazing anything like that. I am saying I like it, probably because it is so different.

What sort of budget is this running on? Aside from the walkie-talkie commentary setup, it all looks very professional. It is shot more like a drama than a sport tho, which is very weird. I expected it to look like something three dudes put together in a basement.

e; also I think I am in love with Prince Puma

e2: what the gently caress, googling just told me puma is ricochet, haha, thought I recognised him

e; dunno why, but I found this funny as gently caress

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 8, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Just caught episode 2 since I was busy Wednesday.

I'm really enjoying this so far, and I originally expected it to be TNA level bad from what I heard before it aired.

It may not be lucha, but it is cheesy fun and I've honestly loved almost every backstage segment so far. As far as sports entertainment goes I'm enjoying it a lot more than what the WWE's been putting out. It's also only an hour long so it never drags. The actual wrestling's been a mixed bag but the Ricochet matches have been fun.

Ransack
Aug 9, 2006
Matt Stryker - "The crowd is literally on it's feet!"

Crowd shot shows everyone in the audience politely sitting and watching the match.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
29,000 viewers this week.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

that's up pretty significantly, I think Meltzer said the debut episode was like 18k

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

For a niche show on a network no one has that's not bad at all.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Another Person posted:

e2: what the gently caress, googling just told me puma is ricochet, haha, thought I recognised him

I mean, the tattoos are kind of a dead giveaway

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

I mean, the tattoos are kind of a dead giveaway

I've only seen a couple Riccohet matches (which were good), and every other wrestler has bad tat syndrome, so I kinda forget which one has which tats all the time. I basically no longer pay attention to tattoos anymore. Doing it just destroys the illusion of any wrestler as a cool guy or a badass when you realise they have the shittiest tattoos on the planet.

Now for the real question: What is it that draws pro wrestlers to bad tats?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Another Person posted:

I've only seen a couple Riccohet matches (which were good), and every other wrestler has bad tat syndrome, so I kinda forget which one has which tats all the time. I basically no longer pay attention to tattoos anymore. Doing it just destroys the illusion of any wrestler as a cool guy or a badass when you realise they have the shittiest tattoos on the planet.

Now for the real question: What is it that draws pro wrestlers to bad tats?

Being a professional wrestler is a poor decision, one that is worse than bad tats, so it's more that people with bad tats are drawn to pro wrestling than the other way around.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Cardboard Box posted:

that's up pretty significantly, I think Meltzer said the debut episode was like 18k

Ah hah, and that's only the 18-49 audience, which last week was only 8,000. This is a tripling of the audience.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jesus, even Lucha Underground promotes better than TNA.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
source on the ratings?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Imagine Lucha Underground triples their viewership every week and leaps past TNA.

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000
This is a really good show, I thoroughly enjoy it. It's a breath of fresh air to have a more cinematic style that isn't LIVE, it allows you to do alot more with the product storyline wise. Robert Rodriguez shoots all these vignettes and backstage stuff, its all pretty cool. I cant wait for the episode where they all get trapped in the temple and have to wrestle the zombified crowd until daybreak.

The commentary isn't great but nowhere near as bad as Cole and Lawler, and they actually try to put over whats going on inside the ring, which is also nice for a change.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fart blood posted:

Imagine Lucha Underground triples their viewership every week and leaps past TNA.

Don't tease me like that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Ah hah, and that's only the 18-49 audience, which last week was only 8,000. This is a tripling of the audience.

what would have caused that, better advertising? word-of-mouth?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
One thing I find is that the matches kind of wash over me rather than actually getting me engaged in them. I think it's mostly down to the extremely stylized directorial style - it takes me out of the action. Hopefully they can do something about that without messing up the entire vibe of the show.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

fart blood posted:

Imagine how many viewers they'd get if El Rey was actually on more than two cable networks. That's also just the El Rey audience, not the Unimás audience.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alain Post posted:

what would have caused that, better advertising? word-of-mouth?

I actually think Internet buzz helped. Pure speculation, mind.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
how come the UniMás ratings haven't been spoken of at all?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Spermgod posted:

how come the UniMás ratings haven't been spoken of at all?

It aired two days ago on Unimás, they probably aren't out yet.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Spermgod posted:

source on the ratings?

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/Other_News_4/article_81687.shtml

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Luigi Thirty posted:

It aired two days ago on Unimás, they probably aren't out yet.

as far as i know we never got ratings for the first week on there either

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I actually think Internet buzz helped. Pure speculation, mind.

It probably helped that people who were panning it on the internet turned around talked up how great it was.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Spermgod posted:

as far as i know we never got ratings for the first week on there either

Nobody reports on Unimás ratings without making you pay $$$ for it that I can find.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I watched the first main event because as it turns out the dude with a MorrisonMundo avatar is a massive JoMoMu fan. I really liked it, the match had great pacing and a fun finish and the commentary actually talked about what was going on in the ring, so I genuinely felt engaged. That said, I don't understand the Striker nails on a chalkboard thing. He was horrible on Raw but I always figured that was Vince in his ear making him go crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
The only thing I didn't like about Striker on this was that he was giving a very very basic delivery of play by play which seemed oriented towards people who were watching wrestling for the very first time and didn't know the rules or how the whole thing actually works.

Which I assume is definitely the case.

• Locked thread