Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So this was worth watching then? Is it better than the poo poo WWE has been putting out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

oatgan posted:

It's a pretty stupid show with a solid main event and the promise of getting even stupider in the coming weeks. It's only an hour long so it won't be much of a time investment to figure out if it's your kind of dumb.

can't believe wwe passed on Prince Puma

I love dumb wrestling as long as it's fun and not whatever the gently caress it is TNA has been doing for the last however many years. I'll check it out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

oatgan posted:

All of the backstage segments are basically telenovellas about organized crime and briefcases full of money. The opening match between Chavo and Blue Demon Jr was so bad they had to very obviously edit out portions of it and it's still 50% botched. Vampiro is the good half of the commentary team.

I love it.

Well this sounds great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Watched it. That was a pretty good main event. I'm amazed they had fake biker go over the lady, especially after giving her a video package and him the jobber entrance. The first match was awful. They need to stop cutting every two god drat seconds, it's worse than WWE and I found myself actually disoriented a few times. The backstage segments are amazing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spermgod posted:

i liked that aspect of it but something about it was still just really bad

That something is called Matt Striker.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I never even liked the top down view in ladder matches and such. It's weird. The editing also sucked in this all together, with so many line jumps that I often got confused about where poo poo was happening in the ring.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you watch it in the context of a Mark Burnett show (like Survivor or The Apprentice) it makes more sense. Basically they're treating it like a reality show similar to The Contender, it seems.

Isn't the money only the macguffin, for lack of a better term, in the first episode? Cause he gave it to Ezekiel Jackson at the end.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

I may have misread or misheard but I thought they were doing that every episode.

I thought it was just a "signing bonus."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

If this was TNA, they'd do it every week.

And then do nothing with the people they gave it to.

Anyone who wins it should just not show up again for a three months because they don't need the money and are on vacation now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

oatgan posted:

i'm not sure why those two things are related

ADR loving hates Mistico, and vice versa, so it's likely that unless they're offering enough money for them to get over it, they might not want to work at the same place with each other.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

oatgan posted:

This actually isn't true at all, though.

Isn't it? I've heard it hear a ton of times, and there's all those times ADR tried to rip off his mask when he was Sin Cara.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Well, he did say that Chavo Sr. "gave birth to" Chavo Jr. tonight. It's just the waiting game.

This was actually 100% accurate. The Guerrero's are a weird family, ok?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I want Havoc to show up and be very disappointed with his son.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

fart blood posted:

Well, it was better than Impact, I'll say that.

So is literally cutting off your own genitals. That's some faint praise.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Another Person posted:

So is this any good at least? Is it a good competitor to ROH or something like that?

It's really good, you should watch it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

For a niche show on a network no one has that's not bad at all.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nerokerubina posted:

if you've ever watched the show actually on el rey (specifically, the commercials) basically the entire rest of their content consists of B-tier kung fu movies. they'll probably be fine.

Hey don't forget about From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Angular Landbury posted:

Their tendency to require most of their shows to be 11 minutes long would be a delightful alternative to the 3 hour Raw.

Edit: Eric Andre takes more impressive bumps than anyone in modern wrestling.

Every show being one match would be great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

RZApublican posted:

If you like Striker's commentary then you'll be pleased to learn that's he's teaming with JR as commentary for the Global Force Wrestling/NJPW PPV.

When is this, by the way? I need to make sure I have it free to watch.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

Was it the Beyonder or the Collector reference that Striker made about Lucha Vince and Vampiro went "I dont know what that means"

Beyonder. He compared Dario to him, and Lucha Underground to the Secret Wars. Then a week later Prince Puma had to teach Dario how to poop, so it was pretty accurate, really.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm getting caught up right now, and I have to say I think Son of Havoc might be one of my favorite heels ever. I hate his stupid loving guts because he's a total dick, not because he's boring in the ring, and every time they bring out a lady, a mini, or an exotico to punch him in the face I get really happy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

El Rey itself is a hilarious network since aside from Lucha Underground, as far as I can tell all it shows is old martial arts flicks, lovely grindhouse movies, and re-runs of Miami Vice. It's perfect.

It's also got that From Dusk Till Dawn series.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LU has two great top faces with Morrison and Puma, but Big Ryck wasn't really doing it for me as a top heel, and Mil Muertes didn't really seem like he was it to me either. Del Rio coming in as Dario Cueto's rich rear end in a top hat friend seems like it might be exactly what they need.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LU is, like Hoodslam, one of the things I'd go out of my way to do while on a trip to LA.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Hoodslam is about 8 hours north of LA because it's in the bay area not LA and now i hate you

Whatever, I'd make the drive cause that's still like 20 hours closer than it currently is to me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

RZApublican posted:

Who's the mysterious asian woman that keeps appearing randomly in the background? She's been in like every episode so far.

Tonight she was at ringside during I think the Sexy Star match, wearing a Lucha Underground staff shirt and lanyard.

In universe? No clue. Who's the performer playing her?

Also no clue.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Danny loving Trejo just showed up :aaa:

Are you watching old episodes or did he come back tonight?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HogX posted:

Holy poo poo I'm on the episode with an exotico. I would have never thought they'd do that, I love LU.

That's the match where I became 100% sold on what they're doing with Son of Havoc. It's just so satisfying watching minis and exoticos and women beat the gently caress out of him. He's a great heel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Doesn't Russo hate foreign guys? So is he going to job out everyone but Morrison and Big Ryck? And probably Big Ryck too, actually, cause he's black.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Having Russo do the anti-lucha heel faction thing would actually probably be alright. If he's not in a position of any power, I think he could probably fill that role pretty well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Another Person posted:

Yup, agreed. Put the dude on as an on air personality, with no power at all. Make him a manager or some poo poo for some guys you want to draw mad heat.

And then just tell him to go out and talk how he always talks. People will hate his loving guts.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lucha Underground and NJPW will fill the hole in my heart that the WWE has left behind.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Is there a way to watch LU online legally?

Not yet, but it's going up on amazon instant and itunes soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

oatgan posted:

it's because vince russo lies about everything all of the time

He didn't lie about luchadores all being boring little garbage people that no self respecting AMERICAN would ever want to watch :colbert:

• Locked thread