Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
In Memoriam

June 19, 1992 - October 26, 2014

Today's Game

Today in Baseball History
  • 1953 - Red Barber resigns from the Dodgers broadcast booth and takes a job with the rival New York Yankees.
  • 1954 - Major league owners vote down the sale of the Athletics to a Philadelphia syndicate. A week later Arnold Johnson buys a controlling interest in the Athletics from the Mack family for $3.5 million and moves the team to Kansas City.
  • 1958 - Construction began on the new ballpark for the Giants in San Francisco. The rocks in the area resembled candlesticks.
  • 1961 - Ground is broken for the Flushing Meadows stadium to be later called Shea Stadium, the future home of the New York Mets.
  • 1979 - George Steinbrenner announces that Billy Martin is fired (again) as a result of his barroom fight with a marshmallow salesman. Dick Howser is named to replace Martin.
  • 1981 - The Los Angeles Dodgers, behind Pedro Guerrero's five RBIs, beat the New York Yankees, 9-2, to win the World Series in six games.
  • 1989 - The Oakland Athletics completed a sweep of San Francisco in the World Series with a 9-6 win over the Giants.
  • 1995 - The Braves won their first World Series since moving to Atlanta with a 1-0 win over Cleveland in Game 6. Tom Glavine and Mark Wohlers combined on a one-hitter and David Justice homered in the sixth inning.
  • 2001 - With his seventh inning three-run shot off New York's Andy Pettitte, Matt Williams becomes the first player in World Series history to hit home runs with three different teams. The Diamondback third baseman homered in the Fall Classic for the Indians in 1997 and with the Giants in 1989.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
I am overwhelmed with Game 6 dread.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Embrace pain, embrace suffering, embrace all that is bad.

Let's go the Giants, bitch.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Giants can't win tonight. Then there's no more baseball. Go Royals.

EDIT: also, nice thread title. Wearing my Cards hat has been a bit sadder the past couple days.

Caseman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 29, 2014

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Should've named the GDT after Bud Selig

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ambassador of Funk posted:

I am overwhelmed with Game 6 dread.

Me too, for different reasons.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I don't know if any of you saw what Johnathan Coachman just did on ESPN live from KC, but it was pretty incredible.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Crazy Ted posted:

I don't know if any of you saw what Johnathan Coachman just did on ESPN live from KC, but it was pretty incredible.

What did he do?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I hope the Royals win today and then game 7 goes to an unprecedented 2,000 innings

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

What did he do?
I don't know how to describe it, but it was like he harkened back to his days working for WWE and he threw on a pair of shades and a World Series jacket in front of a live audience in some big sports bar and practically cut a wrestling promo for Game Six.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Tigers in three.

Oh god help me I'm dying.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Spoeank posted:

Tigers in three.

Oh god help me I'm dying.

Just keep posting those Barry pics.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Just keep posting those Barry Bo pics.

If you can't beat em, join em. Go Royals.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

I don't know how to describe it, but it was like he harkened back to his days working for WWE and he threw on a pair of shades and a World Series jacket in front of a live audience in some big sports bar and practically cut a wrestling promo for Game Six.

So if the Royals are down in the ninth

BAH GAWD THAT'S DON DENKINGER'S MUSIC :bahgawd:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

If you can't beat em, join em. Go Royals.

When I was little I didn't think Bo breaking a bat over his leg was anything special and I was confused what the big deal was.

Just sittin here wondering what kind of excruciating pain that would cause me if I attempted it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

And yet you'd still end up more ambulatory than Bo Jackson

Go royals

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Go Royals.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

FairGame posted:

And yet you'd still end up more ambulatory than Bo Jackson

:drat:

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
According to twitter, the national anthem will be performed by the Kansas City symphony

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
Chickpea hasn't missed yet.

http://teamcoco.com/video/chikpea-world-series-chikcenter

Royals can't lose.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Fox just vomited Giants Dynasty talk everywhere. Congrats, Royals in 7

fluffer muffle
Oct 15, 2010

RE: RUN SUPPORT

Spoeank posted:

Fox just vomited Giants Dynasty talk everywhere. Congrats, Royals in 7

I saw that.

Congrats Royals.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
:911:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why is Dave Foley leading the Kansas City Symphony?

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
This is why I wont turn on the TV until I need to watch the Giants Celebrate in the 9th

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

that was a nice tribute to Oscar. :unsmith:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
gently caress yeah, symphony orchestra.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
The best anthem yet in my opinion.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

This is baller. Replace all crappy local celebrities singing the anthem with symphonies.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I like symphony anthems.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
yeah that was pretty good

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Can we just keep the Symphony out there? Have them do all the stadium music and batter walkups all game?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

By far the best Anthem. No more singing.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Can we replace GBA with like.. Dvorak's New World Symphony or something in the 7th?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
please get nick swisher off my tv

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
there are lots of good anthem singers out there, plus you could even do symphony plus anthem singer :captainpop:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Let's go Giants bitch, in the name of Barrold

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That was a very good SSB.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan