Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You said you were alright with the guy you fought that showed his dick to his sister's kids, and that you were one hundred percent in the wrong for the pranks you pulled on him. How were you(or anyone else) able to get past the "child predator" aspect? If I knew someone like that, even in prison, it'd be hard for me to not have anything but contempt for them. Did not physically abusing any kids make it easier on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007

The Valuum posted:

Well there was the 1 original shipment of coke, then something like 8 packages that had either weed, oxy, or both. If they had both that was 2 charges. I don't think they knew about the package before this point.

A guy I was in county with used to be a CO at a level 4 prison. He ended up getting like 10 years so he's gonna be doing time in a level 4. I'm sure it all depends on you handle yourself. Most people are really gonna dislike any ex-police. Prison COs for the most part aren't that bad, they're just getting a paycheck.

Good thread. I guess it's good timing because I never visit A/T.

Shameful secret time: I'm a CO at a Med custody NC prison, been working for a few years. Ironically I'm always debating with a few fellow COs about law-enforcement/military(a rediculously large percent of staff is former/active)/the legal system, war on drugs, ect. My friends & family still can hardly believe what I do, I'm a tiny white boy(5'10' 185) with a drug charge & DUI. Plus I've done bartending/waitstaff work for nearly 20 years, which is traditionally really far from a law abiding lifestyle. But we must all grow up eventually or fall through the cracks. Shortly after the birth of my second child I knew bartending had to go, the lifestyle was murder on my marrige, and it had 0 benifits besides cash. 6 months later I'm walking into a prison and going "Holy poo poo! This is nothing like I expected.... also these assholes got it really loving good!" Paycheck sucks considering the bullshit, but bennies are significant. Still keep my bar job around for a few days a week, cash in hand really helps considering State employees get paid once a month.

My facility: Medium custody State owned facility in Eastern NC. We house approximately 700-800 inmates at a time, and have a heavy focus on rehabilitation & pushing education-trades. Probably 65-70% of inmates have Murder/Attempted Murder on their sheets, but drug convictions are a large percentage as well(with some obvious overlap), waaaaaay too many sex crimes too. We're constantly criminally understaffed to the point of having to supervise 70-150 inmates per CO in housing, and that number gets worse if you draw yard duty. Equipment(especially the radios) are busted all the time, the place is fairly new but falling apart, and we don't even have towers(in fairness, we couldn't man them if we did, we barely have heads to put in the pods).

Reading over the thread there was a bunch of poo poo like "No loving way that would fly here", but quite a bit is pretty universal. I've got tons of stories, and will delve deeper into inmate relations but it's getting late.

If anyone has any questions for "bad guys of prison", I'll be happy to tackle the other side of the coin....

[edit] pruno is loving disgusting, and that poo poo will take paint off cars.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I did a few days once on a mini range (I was refused bail on a bogus, later dismissed assault charge) and this thread really takes me back. Thanks for posting it.

The thing I remember was how heavily it was stressed on me to shower daily, because the other prisoners really hated it when some new guy was afraid of "dropping the soap" and would instead stink up the whole place with his dirty self. I heard some really funny stories about forced showers that even the guards would turn a blind eye to, because they didn't want to smell that poo poo either.

Was that ever a problem in your level 1?

Oh, and I remember getting together every night to watch the news (I was an instant celeb because I made the top story at 6 o'clock) followed by COPS.

e: Best of luck, hope you don't end back there.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

PT6A posted:

How do you feel about ex-convicts getting judged for the poo poo that they did? I was working on a project with a business, and they found out one of the guys they'd hired had been convicted of sending a picture of himself masturbating to 12- and 13-year-old sisters, and then asking them for nude photos and (unconfirmed) propositioning them for sex (he was 24 at the time). I'm a fairly open-minded guy, but as much as I believe people deserve a second chance, I wouldn't want to work with a guy who thought that was okay. I think the chomo aspect has a lot to do with it for me, personally, because I'd have no problem working with a guy that did time for robbery or assault or even manslaughter, as long as I figured he was rehabilitated*.

* Also, I reckon this guy wasn't rehabilitated. He might have stopped going after kids, but he was still a total creepy motherfucker to women in general, and it totally made sense when I found out he'd done time for being a sexual predator.

I don't see how someone that commits sex crimes of that nature can be made normal again. They might be scared into not doing it again but I don't think you can change something so fundamental as who you are attracted to.

As far as second chances, I think the current system is wayyyy to harsh. I'm not saying people should be able to do 10 years, get out, and immediately get a job as a teacher or bank teller. I think the rejection of felons should ever be much more mild than it currently is (weird way to describe it I guess, I think people will get what I mean), or they should give a more realistic and accessible way to have your felonies expunged after you finish parole.

WickedHate posted:

You said you were alright with the guy you fought that showed his dick to his sister's kids, and that you were one hundred percent in the wrong for the pranks you pulled on him. How were you(or anyone else) able to get past the "child predator" aspect? If I knew someone like that, even in prison, it'd be hard for me to not have anything but contempt for them. Did not physically abusing any kids make it easier on them?

This is a good question! I ended up being alright with him because I slept 3 feet away from him. The problem in prison is you're stuck with these people, it's hard to hold a beef against a guy that you're with 24/7. I've seen people do it and it just keeps boiling over and usually turns into a fight. It's just compromise. When I said I was in the wrong I mean it was unprovoked. My friend and I were just loving with him because he was a chomo. This guy wasn't our friend, we just tolerated him.

And yes, he did have it a little bit easier because he only had an exposure case. He told people he was "pissing in public" which is a classic line, but a lot of people actually believed him because of the actual exposure charge.

Dirty Karma posted:

Good thread. I guess it's good timing because I never visit A/T.

Shameful secret time: I'm a CO at a Med custody NC prison, been working for a few years. Ironically I'm always debating with a few fellow COs about law-enforcement/military(a rediculously large percent of staff is former/active)/the legal system, war on drugs, ect. My friends & family still can hardly believe what I do, I'm a tiny white boy(5'10' 185) with a drug charge & DUI. Plus I've done bartending/waitstaff work for nearly 20 years, which is traditionally really far from a law abiding lifestyle. But we must all grow up eventually or fall through the cracks. Shortly after the birth of my second child I knew bartending had to go, the lifestyle was murder on my marrige, and it had 0 benifits besides cash. 6 months later I'm walking into a prison and going "Holy poo poo! This is nothing like I expected.... also these assholes got it really loving good!" Paycheck sucks considering the bullshit, but bennies are significant. Still keep my bar job around for a few days a week, cash in hand really helps considering State employees get paid once a month.

My facility: Medium custody State owned facility in Eastern NC. We house approximately 700-800 inmates at a time, and have a heavy focus on rehabilitation & pushing education-trades. Probably 65-70% of inmates have Murder/Attempted Murder on their sheets, but drug convictions are a large percentage as well(with some obvious overlap), waaaaaay too many sex crimes too. We're constantly criminally understaffed to the point of having to supervise 70-150 inmates per CO in housing, and that number gets worse if you draw yard duty. Equipment(especially the radios) are busted all the time, the place is fairly new but falling apart, and we don't even have towers(in fairness, we couldn't man them if we did, we barely have heads to put in the pods).

Reading over the thread there was a bunch of poo poo like "No loving way that would fly here", but quite a bit is pretty universal. I've got tons of stories, and will delve deeper into inmate relations but it's getting late.

If anyone has any questions for "bad guys of prison", I'll be happy to tackle the other side of the coin....

[edit] pruno is loving disgusting, and that poo poo will take paint off cars.

For the most part I had no problems with COs. I hated my fellow inmates more to be honest. There's a HUGE difference between police and COs. Now there's occasionally COs that are total dicks that enforce arbitrary rules way too hard IE: Wearing a thermal without a white t-shirt over top, going to chow with a sweat shirt under your coat, wearing kitchen gloves on the pullup bars. For the most part though they're very regular guys and I don't blame them for breaking up fights or tripping about smelling smoke. The vast majority aren't trying to hem anybody up.

Also you bring up a good point I kinda glossed over, people would be surprised at the CO/Inmate ratio. A 160 man unit has 2 COs but often 1 is gone, sometimes both are gone. For the 1700 man yard there's maybe 4-6 COs working, often there's huge blind spots for significant amounts of time.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I did a few days once on a mini range (I was refused bail on a bogus, later dismissed assault charge) and this thread really takes me back. Thanks for posting it.

The thing I remember was how heavily it was stressed on me to shower daily, because the other prisoners really hated it when some new guy was afraid of "dropping the soap" and would instead stink up the whole place with his dirty self. I heard some really funny stories about forced showers that even the guards would turn a blind eye to, because they didn't want to smell that poo poo either.

Was that ever a problem in your level 1?

Oh, and I remember getting together every night to watch the news (I was an instant celeb because I made the top story at 6 o'clock) followed by COPS.

e: Best of luck, hope you don't end back there.

That's more a county jail thing, although there's definitely some stinky people in prison. It's rare but people aren't afraid to say something.

Thank you!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Did you meet any other goons or redditors in there? Is internet culture prominent? Memes, inside jokes, web 2.0 humor etc.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
You mentioned a prejudice against educated people. Can you expand upon that? Are we talking high school completion? Did you encounter any inmates who had advanced degrees, like a Masters or PhD? If you didn't, what would you assume their treatment would be like?

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

WYA posted:

Did you meet any other goons or redditors in there? Is internet culture prominent? Memes, inside jokes, web 2.0 humor etc.

No, not at all. A lot of these guys have never sent a txt message.

Oil of Paris posted:

You mentioned a prejudice against educated people. Can you expand upon that? Are we talking high school completion? Did you encounter any inmates who had advanced degrees, like a Masters or PhD? If you didn't, what would you assume their treatment would be like?

People just assume you're soft if you are articulate. The way you speak actually has more to do with it than the education. There was some guy that claimed to be a doctor, I'm not sure though. There were people with degrees but they were rarely from like a state school, typically it was from placed a step or two up from DeVry or something. Mostly though people will just think you're the type of person that isn't willing to fight.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Oil of Paris posted:

You mentioned a prejudice against educated people. Can you expand upon that?

*expound

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Sounds like you could've used some GED tutoring.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007

The Valuum posted:

As far as second chances, I think the current system is wayyyy to harsh. I'm not saying people should be able to do 10 years, get out, and immediately get a job as a teacher or bank teller. I think the rejection of felons should ever be much more mild than it currently is (weird way to describe it I guess, I think people will get what I mean), or they should give a more realistic and accessible way to have your felonies expunged after you finish parole.

For the most part I had no problems with COs. I hated my fellow inmates more to be honest. There's a HUGE difference between police and COs. Now there's occasionally COs that are total dicks that enforce arbitrary rules way too hard IE: Wearing a thermal without a white t-shirt over top, going to chow with a sweat shirt under your coat, wearing kitchen gloves on the pullup bars. For the most part though they're very regular guys and I don't blame them for breaking up fights or tripping about smelling smoke. The vast majority aren't trying to hem anybody up.

Also you bring up a good point I kinda glossed over, people would be surprised at the CO/Inmate ratio. A 160 man unit has 2 COs but often 1 is gone, sometimes both are gone. For the 1700 man yard there's maybe 4-6 COs working, often there's huge blind spots for significant amounts of time.

i'll be the first to admit, like everything else in America, the system is broken beyond repair. 95% of people have done something that would land them in prison. Most just get lucky enough to not get caught and knock that poo poo off early in life. Drug charges are perticularly heinous. The world's stigmata against the word "felon" doesn't help either, whether you view incarceration as punishment or rehabilitation, either way when your time is over it should be over. Parole/Probation aside, you've served your time & are viewed as rehabilitated, now you're saying I can't get a job because no one will hire a felon? gently caress, family's gotta eat, back to the streets.

Saddest part is the people who truly get "instatutionalized" after a stint. Low-Med custody is more akin to summer camp than what people think of as prison. Suddenly they get out, life is hard especially with a felony, can't find work, miss your "friends'" & a job you've done for years. Spoken with a lot of people that were recently released, and lack of routine was the biggest shocker to them. They went from everything being scripted everyday, with people in place to make sure of it, to nothing. Alot can't get over that initial hurdle of setting their own schedule and sticking to it. If I had $5 for every person I saw in Intake within 3 months of being released, well I wouldn't have to work anymore.

COs are human, like everyone else(inmates included). There's assholes, people power-tripping, liars, thieves, criminals and rampant laziness(oh god, so so lazy). Most are decent enough people just trying to support their families though. "We run the prison, but Inmates own it." is a common expression for a reason. I have rules I gloss over and rules I enforce harshly too, and it all seems arbitrairy until it's not. Mostly I take issue with people rather then specific rules, and it's always the same people breaking the same rules over and over. If I tell you every loving day to take your buds out before speaking with me, and you want to ask me something... TAKE YOUR GODDAMN EARBUDS OUT FIRST!!! Blaaaarg. I reserve most of my anger and petty retaliation for idiots like that, and anyone that commits a serious crime while inside. Though due to being Med security, most of what I'll gently caress you up for will get you shipped to Closed, so that solves itself.

Myself personally, I don't check anyones sheet unless it's flagged a Security Risk or you give me a reason too. I don't want to know what you did, I don't want to know what the police wrote in there, I'll view you as a decent person who hosed up a bit but is trying to make ammends until I'm forced to change my opinion. Granted, still won't let you walk behind me, but other then that.... Some COs read all of them, I'd end up hating way to many people. The vast majority of pediphiles become known about because a CO read his file and passed the info along.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Oil of Paris posted:

Sounds like you could've used some GED tutoring.

Is my writing that bad?

Yeah, Dirty Karma, the amount of people that come back is staggering. Prison is a place of chronic gently caress ups. After spending so much time with these people though I feel like a lot of it is just pure greed. I can kind of understand when someone says "I was down and out so I broke into abandoned buildings to steel scrap metal" as opposed to "I was down and out so I broke into this dudes house and took all this consumer electronics and loaded them in the back of my truck".

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Sex between inmates and COs?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

The Valuum posted:

Is my writing that bad?

I was talking to the guy who thought he knew some poo poo about expand vs. expound

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

photomikey posted:

Sex between inmates and COs?

This is very rare, especially now a days. A lot of people claim to have done it back in the day but I was always doubtful. My friend Jake was the only person who had paper work confirming he had a sexual relationship with a CO. She worked nights or something and they were loving. An inmate is more likely to have sex with a non-CO state worker. For example an outside contractor employee that runs the chow hall, a nurse, etc.

A lot of people would be hesitant to have sex with a CO because if you get caught she's most likely going to claim you were raping her. Although if given the opportunity I'm sure 99% of the guys would go through with it.

My friend that's done 20 years said it was more common back when people could just walk in and get a job as a CO and there was a lot of employee turnover. Now a days most of the people have been working there for a while and it would be throwing away a career as opposed to throwing away a job.

Oh yeah, there was one CO that ran the chow hall that got caught getting a blowjob from an inmate. He was suspended for a while then came back, but now that I think about it I stopped seeing him soon after. I have a feeling the other inmates might have teased him so bad he quit.

Oil of Paris posted:

I was talking to the guy who thought he knew some poo poo about expand vs. expound

Oops, my bad.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

On the few occasions where I've been in a position to make hiring recommendations, I've always made a point of recommending felons if they applied. On average, I found them to be more likely to have a decent work ethic and less inclined toward interpersonal drama. I think having the experiences they have gives them some perspective.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Oil of Paris posted:

Pls expound upon why you believe that

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I'm not going to poo poo up this thread entertaining your BYOB bullshit just so you can learn different uses of words

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Oil of Paris posted:

I'm not going to poo poo up this thread entertaining your BYOB bullshit just so you can learn different uses of words

:confused:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Great thread! How common were cell phones? It seems like those would be hard to sneak in and keep using without a charger. Would anyone need a cell phone if they weren't coordinating illegal stuff?

This might be a dumb question but if most of the drugs were mailed in, wouldn't that lead to a ban on letters? Or would that be impossible to implement?

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Great thread! How common were cell phones? It seems like those would be hard to sneak in and keep using without a charger. Would anyone need a cell phone if they weren't coordinating illegal stuff?

This might be a dumb question but if most of the drugs were mailed in, wouldn't that lead to a ban on letters? Or would that be impossible to implement?

I've never seen a cell phone. Everyone says they have devices on the fence that detect cell phones. I was somewhat doubtful of this but -everyone- says it. They consider cellphones to be escape paraphernalia so they do take it seriously. Prison phone calls are $3.50 for 15 minutes and some people talk on the phone all loving day, so if you have a guard in your pocket or something it can actually be economical to pay him $500 or something to smuggle you in a phone.

I think they view letters as too much of a fundamental prisoner right to ban them, along with visits. I think the administration didn't realize the scope of the suboxone coming through the mail. It took them a year to realize they were putting it behind stamps. I even saw people melt down suboxones and paint them on home made greeting cards. To be honest I'm not exactly sure if they mixed it in the paint or just mixed it with a little water and put it on after. There would be like 4 hearts on a homemade birthday card and the red paint of each heart had one suboxone in it. This was actually a good idea and worked but people wouldn't really buy them due to uneven dosing. The guy that was running the operation was honest in the fact that each heart contained a whole suboxone. The problem was they weren't evenly distributed so one $10 piece of the heart might be way stronger than the other.

EDIT: The only way to get a cellphone in would be from a CO/state worker. Drugs come in via gatepass from people shoving them up their asses, so I suppose if you could convince the smuggler to fit a cellphone up his rear end that would be possible too.

IMO if someone did have a cellphone they'd get told on so fast.

The Valuum fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 4, 2014

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Is HIV a big problem with all of the drug use and sex?

Are the COs ever attacked by inmates?

Is there an Asian gang?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

The Valuum posted:

I think they view letters as too much of a fundamental prisoner right to ban them, along with visits.

In Ohio anyway, I believe visits can be taken, or at least suspended. I've seen mail withheld, but it was in cases where the inmate was most likely to hurt themselves with it (I've seen some unbelievable paper cut wounds). Official court/government letters are the exception and they would always be delivered or at least read verbatim to the inmate

Speaking of self-mutilators, how was the average mental health of where you were located? As in, did it seem like a storage house for people that would have been better off in a legit mental hospital? Any jail or prison I have seen in Ohio seemed to have a disturbing number of real insane people. I once saw a guy being lead to the infirm who had literally dug half way through his arm with a single staple he found in a packet of court paperwork. People like that don't belong in a 'regular' prison, they are a danger to everyone and the regular prison setting cannot be helping their mental conditions one bit.

I also once saw the most staggering, full size wall mural painted in human poop, with the title "Texas Tea" wrote in large font at the bottom.

Incarcerated is no place to be ya'll

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 4, 2014

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

The Valuum posted:

"A bunch of tattoos although only one is any good", yeah that's prison ink for you. I have the outline of a 5 point star with my mom's name misspelled underneath it. The dude doing the tattoo got stabbed before he could finish.

Was this being done in stages, or literally do you have a line where the guy fell over after getting stabbed?

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

laxbro posted:

Is HIV a big problem with all of the drug use and sex?

Are the COs ever attacked by inmates?

Is there an Asian gang?

Hep C was rampant, seemed like all my friends had it. I never heard of anyone having HIV but I doubt they would share it if they did.

Inmates attacking COs was more of a problem 10+ years ago. Although there was a kid in my unit that swung on an officer. He was on LOP, which means you can't leave your cube or go outside. In some units they take your TV while you're on LOP but not this one. However the kid was being a poo poo head and constantly leaving the cube and this CO named Cross was getting agitated from it. Cross is one of the COs that you don't really want to gently caress with like that. He's really lazy and hates it when inmates make him do his job. He also had a huge peev towards out-of-places (being in the wrong hallway, wrong cube) so this kid wandering on on LOP pissed him off. After multiple warnings the kid kept leaving so Cross took his TV. The inmate flipped out and attacked Cross. Keep in mind the kid inmate was probably 130lbs and Cross was 300lbs. During the wrestling Cross broke his ankle or something though. The moron was about to go home too, they ended up giving him like 7 extra years or something.

This is a bit of a tangent but the average inmates view of said situation always made me angry. People said poo poo like "Man, they finna fry that boy", like what the gently caress do you expect? You swung on the police! People would act like they boated the kid on on bogus charges or something. Is 7 years excessive for what happened? I think so. However he had to know it was coming. What did he think was gonna happen? He would win the fight and the CO would just never bring it up? Where did he picture himself being 2 hours from throwing that punch? I think the punishment was excessive but he knew drat well what was going to happen. If I draw an arbitrary line in the sand and say "If you cross this you lose 7 years" it might not be fair, but you'd have to be a loving moron to cross it.

Is there an Asian gang? Heh, my friend Talon was half Asian and half German. He looked fully Asian though. He told me about how the only other Asian guy on the compound walked up to him and said "are you pure?" and when he told him about his German heritage he walked away. I always thought it was funny, you'd think he wouldn't be so picky. Other than them the only other Asian was a super old child molester.

Dr.Caligari posted:

In Ohio anyway, I believe visits can be taken, or at least suspended. I've seen mail withheld, but it was in cases where the inmate was most likely to hurt themselves with it (I've seen some unbelievable paper cut wounds). Official court/government letters are the exception and they would always be delivered or at least read verbatim to the inmate

Speaking of self-mutilators, how was the average mental health of where you were located? As in, did it seem like a storage house for people that would have been better off in a legit mental hospital? Any jail or prison I have seen in Ohio seemed to have a disturbing number of real insane people. I once saw a guy being lead to the infirm who had literally dug half way through his arm with a single staple he found in a packet of court paperwork. People like that don't belong in a 'regular' prison, they are a danger to everyone and the regular prison setting cannot be helping their mental conditions one bit.

I also once saw the most staggering, full size wall mural painted in human poop, with the title "Texas Tea" wrote in large font at the bottom.

Incarcerated is no place to be ya'll

I meant they wouldn't/can't take visits from inmates as a whole. Yeah they take visiting privileges all the time. One substance abuse ticket and you lose them for 30 days, your 2nd and you lose them for 2 years (I think), 3rd time you lose them permanently. If you get a smuggling ticket you lose them permanently too.

I've met some nutters, but not the self mutilating kind. I mentioned the earlier post about the full blown retarded guy "Roger". Why they had him at a regular prison and not a medical joint was beyond me. I guess some just slip through the cracks.

Ohio prison is off the chain compared to MI. In MI everyone is scared to lose their parole or to get a ticket that would look bad in front of the parole board. In Ohio you just have a straight up date, as long as you don't catch a case you're going home on that date. Although the parole board is bullshit it does create an incentive for people to behave. In Ohio (and many other states) the lack of a parole board means people don't give a gently caress and do dumb poo poo since it isn't effecting their out date.

olylifter posted:

Was this being done in stages, or literally do you have a line where the guy fell over after getting stabbed?

We finished the outline and had to wait a few days for it to heal before I finished. The dude doing it was a (white) Latin Count. Someone rode onto the compound with knowledge regarding the Latin Count testifying in court. I don't know if he had paperwork or if they just took his word for it. I believe the Latin Count testified about an assault that happened outside a bar. Either way it was enough to convince the rest of the Counts to get him off the compound. Last I saw of him he was running across the yard up to control center.

Little note: If you absolutely cannot be housed with a certain inmate or be around a certain state worker you will have a "Spawn" in your file. For example if Bill testifies on Fred, they will both have spawns and will never be at a prison together. Another example would be if you're uncle works at <prison whatever> you will have a spawn for that prison.
Having a spawn for a state worker is -way- more common than having a spawn for another inmate. I think they're just more on top of it.

Also I forgot to mention this, figure you guys will find it funny: People play dungeons and dragons in prison! I actually almost wanted to start playing, until I took a closer look at the prison dnd crew...100% sex crimes. There was one guy that tried to get a non-sex crime DnD game going but there wasn't enough people. They make little spinners out of cardboard since you can't have dice.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Valuum posted:

People play dungeons and dragons in prison! I actually almost wanted to start playing, until I took a closer look at the prison dnd crew...100% sex crimes. There was one guy that tried to get a non-sex crime DnD game going but there wasn't enough people.

This is honestly kind of hilarious. It reminds me of how many sex offenders are also trekkies.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Thanks for taking the time to write out this thread. I hope everything works out for you, and you kick the drug habit. I'll send something cool to your buddy inside when I can. If I can make one recommendation to you it's this: find a sport you enjoy doing. I'm not talking about lifting weights, but join a mens softball team or something like that. I can promise you it will help you straighten up.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

The Valuum posted:

Also I forgot to mention this, figure you guys will find it funny: People play dungeons and dragons in prison! I actually almost wanted to start playing, until I took a closer look at the prison dnd crew...100% sex crimes. There was one guy that tried to get a non-sex crime DnD game going but there wasn't enough people. They make little spinners out of cardboard since you can't have dice.

I'm not sure why this never took off. You think it provides at least a little form of escape and burns up a lot of time. I never saw anyone playing it though. But then again (and I'm in no way saying everyone in prison is stupid) the average inmate in my part of Ohio is certainly of 'below average' intelligence. Don't get me wrong, I knew some brilliant fuckers, but they were usually federal inmates.

Those guys also had it good, if you decide to go back to prison, shoot for a federal joint. Supposedly they had there own flat screen in there cell, as well as were able to purchase PS1's (this was also 5+ years ago). I know if you came into jail with a red uniform ( high risk or federal), you automatically were hosed with less, and if you were federal, the guards would treat you well. If the dude felt they were 'wronged' they would call up there case worker or whoever and the feds would be calling the jail wanting to know what happened, or to see the inmates problem was corrected. So the guards tended to put up with more poo poo from federal's , as well as listen to their complaints

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 4, 2014

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Cell phones are by far and away the biggest threat to Prison security we routinely face. They've always been a problem but then earlier this year this happened... http://news.yahoo.com/nc-inmate-charged-kidnapping-das-father-210909318.html Basically a high ranking Blood ordered and orchastrated the kidnapping of a NC District Attourny's father, all while locked up in Closed custody with a cell phone. poo poo got real, real fast. Congress pushed through laws(in like 2 weeks, crazy fast) adding an additional 7 year felony charge to any inmate possessing a phone, and even worse for anyone caught bringing them in. I forget my phone is in my pocket and walk in, I get cuffed instantly and stay that way until a cop gets there to take me to jail. Period.

Cell phones allow unmonitered communication, gang planning, staged riots/fights, prison to prison real time, internet access, and a thousand other issues. Hell, just the ability to get a call out to your friends after finding out you're being transported that night is scary enough reason to clamp down.

There's still a poo poo ton out there though, we just found one last week in fact. Was a bit surprising, since it was one of the nicest, most upbeat lifers I've ever met. Was a dog trainer too, and those guys almost never get in trouble. Sad, but thems the breaks. A month ago we caught a guy coming through visitation suitcasing 2 iPhones...and the charger! We still have the XRay up in the breakroom.

Charger was unnecessary though, Canteen sells batteries and inmates can certainly rig those up. Inmates are scary like that, I can't even begin to describe how resouceful and talented the combination of Human Ingenuity, bordom and literarily unlimited free time can make some people. A cell charger is nothing.

Mail is an Inmate Right, period. Guys in Seg still get their mail. Hate your job and wanna get fired? Withhold mail for a couple days...

[edit]. Yep, we got a few D&D groups too. Dice, rulebooks, maps and the whole works. The GM stays up all night drawing maps and making minatures, then they play all day. No idea when he sleeps... Yes, almost entirely made up of sex crimes as well.

[edit2] Sex between Inmates and COs is super rare, it's a double standard but female COs are watched like hawks. Doesn't stop inmates from trying though, since there's basically no punishment to them if they get busted balls deep. Inmates are legally non-consentual beings to staff, any relations unless it can be PROVEN Inmate assault is considered rape by staff.

Assault on Staff is fairly rare at my camp as well. We had a guard hospitalized last month, but it had been almost 6 months previous to that. Our camp is extremely cushie in quite a few ways that makes people think twice before doing something that will instantly get them shipped out. I wouldn't work Closed custody in this state, pay is way to low to deal with that poo poo(literally).

Dirty Karma fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 4, 2014

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Dirty Karma posted:

I forget my phone is in my pocket and walk in, I get cuffed instantly and stay that way until a cop gets there to take me to jail. Period.
Holy poo poo, that must have happened to someone at some point, no?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I always wondered how my boy would call me from a cellphone while in prison. I'll ask next time we chill.

Kidswhoneedjobs
Jan 16, 2013

Dr.Caligari posted:

If the dude felt they were 'wronged' they would call up there case worker or whoever and the feds would be calling the jail wanting to know what happened, or to see the inmates problem was corrected. So the guards tended to put up with more poo poo from federal's , as well as listen to their complaints

why was that? Is it just that non federals didn't have case workers to pursue their case or is there more to it? I can get why the Cos who directly worked with them would want to keep them on their good side but I don't see why the actual administration would care more about them

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Dr.Caligari posted:

I'm not sure why this never took off. You think it provides at least a little form of escape and burns up a lot of time. I never saw anyone playing it though. But then again (and I'm in no way saying everyone in prison is stupid) the average inmate in my part of Ohio is certainly of 'below average' intelligence. Don't get me wrong, I knew some brilliant fuckers, but they were usually federal inmates.

Those guys also had it good, if you decide to go back to prison, shoot for a federal joint. Supposedly they had there own flat screen in there cell, as well as were able to purchase PS1's (this was also 5+ years ago). I know if you came into jail with a red uniform ( high risk or federal), you automatically were hosed with less, and if you were federal, the guards would treat you well. If the dude felt they were 'wronged' they would call up there case worker or whoever and the feds would be calling the jail wanting to know what happened, or to see the inmates problem was corrected. So the guards tended to put up with more poo poo from federal's , as well as listen to their complaints

I had my own flat screen, they're restricted to 13 inch ones though.

Dirty Karma posted:

poo poo about phones

Yeah I've heard other states have a bigger problem with cell-phones. That's insane they shoved them up their rear end during a visit. I've seen people rig up all types of crazy poo poo, home made soldering guns, etc. People figured out ways to re-charge regular batteries with the limited resources. My friend Jimmy Fix-It could put a (wired) remote control in your TV! All he used as a homemade soldering gun and an old pair of headphones.

They withhold mail occasionally where I was at. Especially when they first figured out about the suboxone. There were tons of people who had birthday/holiday/gift cards sent in that never got them. I also never got one letter from a friend. When I was originally in county years ago the day I was released they handed me a stack of mail they had been holding. The common theme tends to be it's always non-family member mail (girlfriend, friend etc).

I was wondering if you are jaded with your job. People would always say "Man <female co> is a total bitch, she used to be nice" and I'd think "Yeah 6 months of dealing with these assholes every day I would be too". By the end of my time I had a heavy dislike for most of my fellow inmates and I can only imagine it's worse for a worker. A lot of those guys think that because they're in prison they're paying the COs salary, or that COs are obligated to do this or that for them. People used to walk into the counselors office like "Hey I need you to look up a misdemeanor case I have in Oakland county" then walk out, like they were her boss or something.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Kidswhoneedjobs posted:

why was that? Is it just that non federals didn't have case workers to pursue their case or is there more to it? I can get why the Cos who directly worked with them would want to keep them on their good side but I don't see why the actual administration would care more about them

Non-feds did have case workers, but they were state inmates in a state facility, so they really had no one to 'appeal' to. The feds were paying to house inmates there, and the administrators wanted to keep that sweet fed money flowing. Other than that it just seemed like the marshals cared more about their inmates. But then again, those guys didn't have petty charges

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 4, 2014

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Valuum posted:

Everyone says they have devices on the fence that detect cell phones. I was somewhat doubtful of this but -everyone- says it.

I dunno, seems quite possible from a technical perspective. You could use one of these (or multiple and triangulate the position of the cellphone to boot) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSI-catcher

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Dr.Caligari posted:

Those guys also had it good, if you decide to go back to prison, shoot for a federal joint.

This is very bad advice imo.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

feedmegin posted:

I dunno, seems quite possible from a technical perspective. You could use one of these (or multiple and triangulate the position of the cellphone to boot) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSI-catcher

I didn't so much doubt it from the technical side but from the price. There's 40 something prisons in MI and if they're gonna put that in one of them they're going to put it in all of them. Some of those prisons only have like 100 people in them (unsecure level 1 camps) so it just seems unlikely fiscally.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Dirty Karma posted:

A month ago we caught a guy coming through visitation suitcasing 2 iPhones...and the charger! We still have the XRay up in the breakroom.

The Valuum posted:

That's insane they shoved them up their rear end during a visit.

As I read Dirty Karma's post, I just assumed I read the x-ray comment wrong. I thought maybe it was worded strangely, or had a typo, or was missing a word or two, but then I got to The Valuum's reply and that confirmed my suspicion. What in the actual gently caress??? Not one but two iPhones up their rear end? I'm having trouble comprehending the logistics of that. Of course, my eyes shot down to the iPhone sitting on my desk next to my keyboard as soon as I read that post. I understand organs are surprisingly pliable in some cases, but I don't see how the pain of inserting and removing hard plastic objects with those dimensions would be something anyone could work through in a visiting room, with other people around, all while on camera. That's not to mention the discomfort those people would be in the entire time they have those things shoved up there between loading up and delivery... Focusing on this is goony as hell but that would almost be admirable if it wasn't so hosed up.

How much scrutiny are people under in the visiting rooms? Are there multiple tables set up for inmates meeting with family? While it's obvious a lot of things get smuggled in, I'm always surprised at the volume of things that do get passed through. Drugs seem straightforward enough. But in the case of cell phones, I could definitely see something like the old flip-phones getting through being stashed up an rear end with a lot of effort, but iPhones seem a bit... much. I'm assuming cameras are everywhere in the visiting rooms? Doesn't a visitor putting their hand(s) down their pants (I'm assuming a woman with a skirt might be a little more useful in this case) and passing off an object as large as an iPhone to an inmate require enough motion to where that would be easily noticed? Especially as the inmate then has to then insert it up their own rear end after receiving it unnoticed, and somehow avoid walking funny the whole way back.

I'm sorry I'm going on about this but seriously, those people are just begging for some internal injuries and infections. I can't imagine what kind of excuses someone would have to come up with in the prison hospital ward after some mrhands.avi-level poo poo like that. Even funnier that you say that phones get people ratted out so quickly. Just think, all of that effort, all of that pain, for nothing. Hope she felt sorry enough for you to give you some good 30-second phone sex after her daily life gets interrupted, bud, that is if you could even get it up while sitting on the toilet making GBS threads out blood, trying to focus on anything other than the pungent aroma of your own fecal matter being pressed up against your face...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Once again, we see a thread where posting goatse would actually be on-topic.

Slipping an iphone into a condom, tying it off and keestering it is well within the capabilities of a dedicated con.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

Once again, we see a thread where posting goatse would actually be on-topic.

Slipping an iphone into a condom, tying it off and keestering it is well within the capabilities of a dedicated con.

I think it's understandable to be shocked, but yeah I think I over-emphasized that maybe a little too much, heh. I know it's perfectly do-able, my main question is how it goes unnoticed. Not one but two iPhones up the butt requires two people moving around in an environment where they both are in theory watched like hawks, while their backsides are stuffed full. Also, I'm not sure how they remove and insert these objects into "less accommodating environments" without arousing suspicion in an area where people are supposedly looking out for this very thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

dinoputz posted:

I think it's understandable to be shocked, but yeah I think I over-emphasized that maybe a little too much, heh. I know it's perfectly do-able, my main question is how it goes unnoticed. Not one but two iPhones up the butt requires two people moving around in an environment where they both are in theory watched like hawks, while their backsides are stuffed full. Also, I'm not sure how they remove and insert these objects into "less accommodating environments" without arousing suspicion in an area where people are supposedly looking out for this very thing.

Let's assume you like Angry Birds a lot. You have nothing but time and a butt hole. You're going to end up with iPhones up a butt. One vs two iPhones really isn't that much of a difference. I'm surprised it wasn't four.

You could probably do actual maths to work out breadth vs width to get maximum iPhones to be butt diameter ratio but I don't care enough for this. Someone could probably photoshop iPhones into the Goatse hole to show how this could work.

• Locked thread