Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Digital-Smoke posted:

I have a question for people who have been to prison. I came home last October and I'm still having problems fully adjusting. my girlfriend constantly complains that I don't show my emotions. I won't laugh or smile in front of people and I could be boiling mad and no one would know. e dry time she brings it up I apologize and tell her I'm not even aware that I'm doing it. another thing is crowds. I still tense up and feel very uncomfortable. like something bad may happen. I won't go in her fridge, I make her do it. I simply refuse to touch other people's stuff even if they give me permission a million times. the only time I seem to be really happy is when I'm alone with my dog duke. or if in around my friend of over a decade. he just got out of prison. when we are around each other it's like talking to one of your bros on the yard and not like someone you've known half your life. I feel like prison has left me an angry and incredibly broken person.

You didn't ask a question, you will probably not get answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Digital-Smoke posted:

I have a question for people who have been to prison. I came home last October and I'm still having problems fully adjusting. my girlfriend constantly complains that I don't show my emotions. I won't laugh or smile in front of people and I could be boiling mad and no one would know. e dry time she brings it up I apologize and tell her I'm not even aware that I'm doing it. another thing is crowds. I still tense up and feel very uncomfortable. like something bad may happen. I won't go in her fridge, I make her do it. I simply refuse to touch other people's stuff even if they give me permission a million times. the only time I seem to be really happy is when I'm alone with my dog duke. or if in around my friend of over a decade. he just got out of prison. when we are around each other it's like talking to one of your bros on the yard and not like someone you've known half your life. I feel like prison has left me an angry and incredibly broken person.

It's pretty clear you're asking how to adjust and be normal after a lovely experience like prison. I'm sure the goony shithead above me would realize that if he had an ounce of empathy in his cheeto-dusted body.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Digital-Smoke posted:

Congrats on being out for nearly a year. Lots of people don't make that.
Seriously, go talk to a therapist. Persons getting out of prison can have mild to serious PTSD or just need some extra help. It isn't a sign of weakness and what you're dealing with is something most people getting out of prison experence to some degree and is a leading reason why people go back.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ithaqua posted:

You didn't ask a question, you will probably not get answers.

Lol you retarded

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Digital-Smoke posted:

Have you talked to your friend about this? How long were the both of you in for?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Digital-Smoke posted:

Sounds like PTSD.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Digital-Smoke posted:

I'm being serious when I saw this is what therapy is for: prison time is a serious crisis for a lot of people and its not uncommon for people to get out a little bit changed (not for the better) from what they once were. You need to talk to someone about this in a neutral setting and come to terms with what has happened and make sense of what is and get adjusted for what is to come.

Oh, and screw that goon that said "you didn't ask a question" because he didn't read between the loving lines and have a little empathy for another human being. Some people just like to be callous dicks on the Internet because it makes them look tough or pretentious or some poo poo.

Edit: I actually started as a CO about six months ago (went through the training academy in that time as well) and I already have some stories to tell.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 25, 2015

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

In light of recent news how would Jared fogle be seen/treated in prison realistally?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

stringball posted:

In light of recent news how would Jared fogle be seen/treated in prison realistally?

The feds probably have a high profile unit.

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45
According to some prisoners vice talked to there are a couple of federal prisons that are mainly filled with paedophiles. He'll probably get sent to one of them.

Tim posted:

"As far as the Subway guy goes, if he is sent to any USP [United States Penitentiary] other than Tucson, then he will be hurt or worse once he lands in there," a prisoner we'll call Tim who's been inside for over two decades tells VICE. "However, things have changed for chomos in the past few years... Prisons have so many of them that they make certain prisons, such as USP Tucson and [medium-security facilities] such as Marianna, Florida, just for them. If you are not a chomo and go to there, they tell you up front, 'If you put your hands on one, then you are getting ten more years.' They screen everyone going to those places."

The facilities in Tucson and Marianna have special housing units for sex offenders, and others, like FCI Forrest City, have informally become safe havens, which suggests the BOP has learned to house sex criminals with caution.

"I think the Bureau is tired of paying for all of the hospital bills and perhaps lawsuits over them getting smashed everywhere they go, so they have whole prisons of them," Tim says.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Judging from the stories in here, even if he got put in a regular prison he'd probably be segregated into another unit. Kid diddlers are the lowest of the low and being so famous would make it even worse for him.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

Judging from the stories in here, even if he got put in a regular prison he'd probably be segregated into another unit. Kid diddlers are the lowest of the low and being so famous would make it even worse for him.

Even in County they are segregated. The cell across from mine was full of chomos and every time they lined up for chow nearly everyone in the adjacent cells would yell at them through the door.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GlassElephant posted:

According to some prisoners vice talked to there are a couple of federal prisons that are mainly filled with paedophiles. He'll probably get sent to one of them.

Interesting that those two facilities are in Arizona and Florida.

Being a pedo is called "old white man's disease" inside.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

stringball posted:

He'd be segregated from everyone else for his crimes. Pretty much any prison nowadays has a separate unit for the sex offenders. Him being a celebrity as well might complicate things and special attention could be given.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/i-ate-like-a-prisoner-for-a-week-%97-heres-what-happened/ar-BBm9sTp

This seemed pertinent, and its even about the MI system. tl;dr is prison food is poo poo.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah fogle would be ripped apart. Recently in Australia there was a reasonably high-profile 90's actor (prettymuch the local equivalent of danny tanner in full house) who was jailed for molestation of his child co-stars among others, and even being seperated from the general prison population he was still bombarded with containers of poo poo and piss when he walked through common areas.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I know there was at least one goon here who knows Valuum on a personal level... any idea what's up with him? Even on Facebook, folks are all "dude, where are you?" :(

I couldn't make it through that entire write-up because, dang if you're gonna whine about getting a real orange and canned sardines, you ain't seen poo poo when it comes to jail food. I never saw any fresh fruit or protein-on-the-bone during my stay.

Digital-Smoke
Feb 14, 2013
he is probably going to a max depending on how long he gets, that being said he probably will only get probation. the system is unusually lenient on rapist and pedophiles.

also even if he does go to prison he will be in a high profile unit. high profile units are were they place famous people, rapists, snitches and crimes that got a lot of publicity. but he will still come into contact with other inmates for commissary, packages, meal times, vocational, and rec. so there are plenty of opportunities for people to get him. for the most part at least in ny state prison, people would leave him alone. ny state made it a hate crime to hurt these guys anymore. so in less he's mouthy he'd be fine, besides jokes and name calling. there's also the chance someone might extort him because he is pretty famous and I'm assuming he has a lot of money.

and prison food is disgusting, it's mostly reheated quick chill meals prepared at other prisons and then frozen. when it gets to your facility it is boiled in a giant tank and served. there is maybe one meal I'd eat on the outside. that is Jamaican beef patty with steamed cabbage, white rice, cake and chocolate milk. the rest of the meals are putrid. soy soy and more soy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Digital-Smoke posted:

he is probably going to a max depending on how long he gets, that being said he probably will only get probation. the system is unusually lenient on rapist and pedophiles.

Last I heard they said minimum 5 years, maximum 11.5 according to the recommendations in the plea deal.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I know there was at least one goon here who knows Valuum on a personal level... any idea what's up with him? Even on Facebook, folks are all "dude, where are you?" :(

I couldn't make it through that entire write-up because, dang if you're gonna whine about getting a real orange and canned sardines, you ain't seen poo poo when it comes to jail food. I never saw any fresh fruit or protein-on-the-bone during my stay.

In a relatively liberal town I saw fresh fruit but no unground meat during the month I was in. The biggest problem for me was the portions. I'm 6'2" and take a lot of fueling. Could never get enough calories from the food they gave us. Went from 180 to 165 in that month even though I ate every bit of food I could get my hands on.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

RandomCheese posted:

and even being seperated from the general prison population he was still bombarded with containers of poo poo and piss when he walked through common areas.

In our prison, that's called "gassing"(why, I don't know) and it's a serious offense - you'll get more time for gassing another prisoner, and the DA will prosecute for assault if you gas a CO or free staff.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hey op, sorry if it has been asked before, but this thread has more pages than the bible:

Do you think that prison told you some kind of lesson about what you did, apart from "don't get caught next time"? You are probably not selling drugs anymore, is it because you have a genuine fear of being locked up again or for some other reasons?

If you were to design a perfect prison system, that only cares about lowering reoffending rates, how would you do it?

Is there some other kind of punishment besides prison that would have made you stop selling drugs?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

Hey op, sorry if it has been asked before, but this thread has more pages than the bible:

Do you think that prison told you some kind of lesson about what you did, apart from "don't get caught next time"?

Half a dozen accounts of "you dumb rear end, you should have done THIS" which are then either applicable in your life or not based on your decisions.

Also, this thread has 41 pages.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
One more page and we're 10% of the way to 420. Awwww yeah :2bong:

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

waitwhatno posted:

Is there some other kind of punishment besides prison that would have made you stop selling drugs?

I'm inclined to think that the OP would have stopped selling drugs if he received the death penalty.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Your inclination is wrong. Generally people do crimes based on their probability to be caught regardless of punishment.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it doesn't matter the punishment if you think you can get away with it

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I'm inclined to think that the OP would have stopped selling drugs if he received the death penalty.

Its OK, I got the joke.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Personally, I don't think jail/prison is enough of a deterrent to prevent drug dealing (maybe for the things desperate people do for their fix like assaults/robberies). I think governments need to look at the reason WHY people turn to drugs and focus on treatments rather than punishments. But I don't want to turn this thread into a drug debate.

JnnyThndrs posted:

In our prison, that's called "gassing"(why, I don't know) and it's a serious offense - you'll get more time for gassing another prisoner, and the DA will prosecute for assault if you gas a CO or free staff.

"shitbombing" here, it's basically something inmates do only if they REALLY loving hate someone and don't give a gently caress about the consequences. It is a charge if you do it here as well and even if its a tiny splash into solitary confinement you go until the system works the incident through.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Mr. Wookums posted:

Your inclination is wrong. Generally people do crimes based on their probability to be caught regardless of punishment.

No, I meant that if he were dead, he couldn't sell drugs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Noctis Horrendae posted:

No, I meant that if he were dead, he couldn't sell drugs.

He could sell to ghosts though.

:ghost:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Amazing thread. I'm blown away that even conservatives are starting to talk about our bullshit prison system. For the recently released goon - man I'm sorry you feel so crappy. PTSD/agoraphobia/anxiety disorders are hellish. I hope you can get some help. Being scared of footsteps is no way to live, trust me.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Amazing thread! Rooting for ya, Valuum. Going through life on drugs isn't pretty, even if it doesn't kill you straight away, I know.

If you feel like you could use some concrete tips or encouragement to quit for good, see us in the addiction/recovery thread!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I know it's a bit of a necro, but I'm legit curious to know how the OP is doing (just read the whole thread over the course of a week or so). Hope everything is still cool and alright.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
We all kinda assume the worst at this point.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Isn't he searchable by his MDOC number? I feel like that came up earlier in the thread.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I guess we won't know for sure unless he turns up again, but people like Valuum are tough as old leather. To drug criminals, there's no point in killing someone who'll turn up to be a customer another day, so unless he has overdosed I'm pretty certain he's okay.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I don't have first hand contact with the guy like some goons did, but I think it's more likely that he's back in jail. IIRC, he was using throughout his initial stay and he was still using when he was out and being drug tested randomly on probation.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dillbag posted:

I don't have first hand contact with the guy like some goons did, but I think it's more likely that he's back in jail. IIRC, he was using throughout his initial stay and he was still using when he was out and being drug tested randomly on probation.

Yeah very much doubt hes been killed, he kept saying hes using, he probably got caught

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Yeah very much doubt hes been killed, he kept saying hes using, he probably got caught

Not to mention he was using his real name and goons doxx people for the prettiest reasons.

That was really dumb.

• Locked thread