Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'd liked to visit the Guggenheim museum and the American Museum of Natural History in NYC. The latter has a nice dinosaur display and other seasonal events. IIRC some of the other museums are free or encourage you to give a donation by the entrance.

Hmm--the NY Public Library has some displays on the lower level of some old books and famous relics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Three personal favorites:

Peabody Essex Museum, Salem MA - Primarily concerned with the China trade, whaling, etc, covers Salem's past as America's main tradeport with the Far East. Pretty much a witch-free zone. Awesome collection of 19th-century Polynesian folk art and weapons, and an entire authentic Chinese house.

Air Force Museum, Dayton OH - Pretty much every American military aircraft you can think of.

Alexander Graham Bell Museum, Baddeck NS Canada - Fascinating archive of a multitalented guy.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

BlueBayou posted:

SF doesnt have a museum of natural history .....

The California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park consists of an aquarium, a planetarium, and the Kimball Natural History Museum.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 13, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The family and I visited the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Fla this summer and it was awesome. It was a Blue Angels practice day so it was super busy, but it was a very nice (and free!) museum to visit. We were already at the beach nearby for a week, so we made a little half day trip out of it. The Blue Angels were awesome, and even the kids liked the museum.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
City Museum in St. Louis is some world class weird poo poo. It is a 10 story former shoe factory converted into an enormous salvaged materials, rebar and rough-finish concrete climbing/sliding gym mosaic art project built out of dragline cranes, scrapped jets, fire engines, industrial presses, decorative brick cornices, and twinkie-baking trays, with secret passages, helical slides that go down the central air shaft from the roof to the subbasement, a life-sized concrete right whale that you can climb in the mouth and out the rear end of, aquariums, sloths, old mechanical pinball machines, a ferris wheel on the roof, and three bars. And it is open till midnight on weekends. It is comprehensively bonkers, everybody I've ever taken there has said "This is insane, how is it legal".

St. Louis also has an excellent free art museum, an excellent free history museum, an excellent free zoo, and a pretty good for free science museum in Forest Park.

And there is an Arch, which is more impressive in person.

The Science and Industry in Chicago has had a major facelift in the last few years, and is pretty strong now days.

The Sackler-Freer gallery in DC is nice. It is one Robber Baron's collection of east asian art, part of the Smithsonian on the mall, and it is always empty. The collection is great, but the greatest part is that it is dead empty. After spending a few hours with the sharp-elbowed school groups at Natural History, or Air and Space, it is awesome to chill out, and not see another human being besides the 80 year old docents for a bit.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 13, 2014

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh are all very good. I'm behind some wacky work firewall right now so I can't get the actual sites to load, just wikipedia.

Dinosaurs, son.

Natural History Museum posted:

Carnegie Museum of Natural History, located at 4400 Forbes Avenue in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, was founded by the Pittsburgh-based industrialist Andrew Carnegie in 1896. It maintains an international reputation for research and is ranked among the top five natural history museums in the United States.[1]

The museum consists of 115,000 square feet (10,700 m2) organized into 20 galleries as well as research, library, and office space. It holds some 22 million specimens, of which about 10,000 are on view at any given time and about 1 million are cataloged in online databases. In 2008 it hosted 386,300 admissions and 63,000 school group visits. Museum education staff also actively engage in outreach by traveling to schools all around western Pennsylvania.

The museum first made history in 1899 when its scientists unearthed the fossils of Diplodocus carnegii.[2] Today its dinosaur collection includes the world's largest collection of Jurassic dinosaurs and its Dinosaurs in Their Time exhibition offers the third largest collection of mounted, displayed dinosaurs in the United States (behind the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History and the American Museum of Natural History). Notable specimens include one of the world's only fossils of a juvenile Apatosaurus, the world's first specimen of a Tyrannosaurus rex,[3] and a recently identified species of oviraptorosaur named Anzu wyliei.[4]

The submarine they mention is actually in the river and you can go in and check it out.

Carnegie Science Center posted:

The Carnegie Science Center, located in the Chateau[1] neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, opened in 1991.[2]

With a history that dates to October 24, 1939, the Carnegie Science Center is the most visited museum in Pittsburgh. Among its attractions are the newly constructed Buhl Digital Dome (which features the latest in projection), the Rangos Omnimax Theater, the Miniature Railroad & Village, the USS Requin (a World War II submarine) and roboworld, touted as "the world's largest permanent robotics exhibit" with more than 30 interactive displays featuring "all things robotic", including the first physical home for Carnegie Mellon University’s Robot Hall of Fame.

Under the leadership of Robert Wilburn, Buhl Science Center merged with the Carnegie Institute and a new $40 million Carnegie Science Center was constructed.

Hey you know that Campbell's soup picture guy. There is some very weird poo poo there, because Warhol.

Andy Warhol Museum posted:

The Andy Warhol Museum is located on the North Shore of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in the United States. It is the largest museum in the country dedicated to a single artist.[2] The museum holds an extensive permanent collection of art and archives from the Pittsburgh-born pop art icon Andy Warhol.

The Andy Warhol Museum is one of the four Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh and is a collaborative project of the Carnegie Institute, the Dia Art Foundation and The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts (AWFVA).[3]

The museum's main entrance is located on 7th Street
The museum is located in an 88,000-square-foot (8,200 m2) facility on seven floors. Containing 17 galleries, the museum features 900 paintings, close to 2,000 works on paper, over 1,000 published unique prints, 77 sculptures, 4,000 photographs, and over 4,350 Warhol films and videotaped works. Its most recent operating budget (2010) was $6.1 million. In addition to its Pittsburgh location the museum has sponsored 56 traveling exhibits that have attracted close to 9 million visitors in 153 venues worldwide since 1996.

If you're into that kind of thing...

Art Museum posted:

The Carnegie Museum of Art, located in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is an art museum founded in 1895 by the Pittsburgh-based industrialist Andrew Carnegie.[1] The museum holds a distinguished collection of contemporary art, including film and video works.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 14, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Even if you don't have kids, I was fascinated by the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester, NY. It's got a giant collection of vintage board and video games, many of them playable, and basically chronicles the history of toys and play in just about every context.

If you do have kids, this place is a no-brainer. There's a pretty good re-creation of Sesame Street, books everywhere (the whole museum operates as a library), and a bunch of rotating exhibits. When I was there, there was a huge thing about the history of comics.

quote:

The Strong’s International Center for the History of Electronic Games® (ICHEG) collects, studies, and interprets video games, other electronic games, and related materials and the ways in which electronic games are changing how people play, learn, and connect with each other, including across boundaries of culture and geography.

As a result of ICHEG’s efforts, The Strong’s collection of video games, other electronic games, and electronic game-related historical materials is the largest and most comprehensive public assemblage in the United States and one of the largest in the world. At 55,000 items and growing, the collection includes games and the platforms on which they are played, game packaging and advertising, game-related publications, game-inspired consumer products and other items that illustrate the impact of electronic games on people’s lives, and personal and business papers of key individuals and companies in the electronic game industry.

This was one of the coolest things I've seen in any museum, and my daughter had a blast in this area. It's a large, elaborate play grocery store:

quote:

At The Strong’s Wegmans Super Kids Market exhibit, kids run the store! Cruise the aisles and fill a grocery cart with colorful products that look amazingly real. Visit the toddler organic farm, Market Café, and a variety of other highly interactive store environments that offer dramatic role-playing opportunities and encourage healthy eating habits.

Explore the Market Café replete with prepared meals, a sushi bar, and a coffee bar—just like the real grown-up Wegmans!

Shop for organic and gluten-free products at Nature’s Marketplace.

Discover the expanded toddler area, where little ones can pick, count, sort, and weigh organic veggies; gather eggs; crawl through a raised hoop house; and sit under the apple tree.

Cruise the aisles with child-sized shopping carts and scan bar-coded products at working check-out counters.

Work in deli, meat, seafood, and bakery departments and make brick-oven pizzas.
Produce a commercial or cooking show at the WKID-TV station.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One
If you were ever planning a trip to NYC I would second other peoples suggestions of the MET and AMNH.

Also if you particularly like paintings (european artists especially) then the Frick Collection is an absolute must. It's fairly small compared to other museums in the city but but their collection is fantastic.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Yale Peabody Museum in New Haven, CT is awesome. Also the Boston Science Museum is great.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Bip Roberts posted:

Museum of Jurassic Technology.

Even knowing exactly what I was getting into when I went to that museum, while I was walking through it, I just sorta thought "This place kinda sucks" and it didn't really CLICK for me.

Then I watched a David Lynch movie a few days later and thought "MY GOD IT'S GENIUS"

Also, don't forget the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Cleveland itself is loving terrible, so you should visit it while like, on a roadtrip to not-Cleveland. The museum is also more of a "collection of artifacts from rock artists", but you can see really sweet poo poo like the outfits that The Beatles wore on the Sgt Pepper's cover, Brian Wilson's original hand written lyrics to God Only Knows, and Bootsy Collins' funkatastic outfit and bass guitar :whatup:

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 16, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

The Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh are all very good. I'm behind some wacky work firewall right now so I can't get the actual sites to load, just wikipedia.

When I was in college I lived right down the street from the Carnegie Art and Natural History museums (which are actually in the same building), and a good friend of mine worked there as a guard. He was a huge pothead so I'd meet up with him to smoke and then just wander all over the museum for a couple hours, especially the Art half. I must have explored some part of it or another once a week for a couple years. It was an amazing resource.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Slo-Tek just convinced me that there is a reason to go to st Louis. Can't wait.

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*
The two big art museums in Minnesota were already mentioned on the last page, but if history's your thing, the Minnesota History Center is pretty cool too. They have an amazing archive and they currently have an exhibit that showcases old toys from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

On the aerospace route, if you're in the PNW, Museum of Flight just south of Seattle is a stunning collection that's probably the best in the region. Art museums in Seattle proper are pretty legit as well, though I would say it's not worth a dedicated trip out to the PNW for just these few when you can drive/road-trip between cities on the East Coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

skipdogg posted:

The family and I visited the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Fla this summer and it was awesome. It was a Blue Angels practice day so it was super busy, but it was a very nice (and free!) museum to visit. We were already at the beach nearby for a week, so we made a little half day trip out of it. The Blue Angels were awesome, and even the kids liked the museum.

I highly recommend this one too. I didn't think I was going to enjoy it much the first time there, I enjoy flying but I'm not a plane jock; plus I was a kid and wanted to get the gently caress out of there and back on the road to disney world. But then my family spent the whole day there, all of us utterly engrossed. It's an extremely well set up museum and has a ton of awesome exhibits. It's interesting not only because of the various planes there, military and civilian, but also because it tries to give you a taste of what these various time periods in naval aviation were like.

It's inside of a military base however so have all your poo poo in order before you get there. Most Americans aren't used to dealing with military checkpoints. These days you'll probably get ID'd going in. There will be an extremely polite guard with a large gun. Don't be an idiot and everything will be fine.

• Locked thread