Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

A couple of my favorite museums are Storm King and the Dia Beacon.

These are both in the Hudson Valley area, about an hour and a half north of NYC.

Storm King is outdoor, open air museum. The Dia Beacon is indoors. But both of them feature art on a huge scale.

The artwork at Storm King is particularly interesting in the way it interacts with the natural landscape. But some of the pieces at the Dia Beacon are incredible as well, sculptures and in a few cases paintings that completely dominate a space and you are essentially inside of them.

Drewski posted:

San Francisco has some killer museums too. Natural History, SFMOMA...

And of course the Exploratorium!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

That's more of a thing where it's really expensive to fly transatlantic so for the time being I'm staying in Europe.

Well you said you were "never to return" to the US.

It is a bit odd that you can't afford a plane ticket from Europe to the US (which is not that bad if you plan it in advance and use a budget airline) but you can apparently afford to travel all over the US going to all kinds of museums? How does that work?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

The Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh are all very good. I'm behind some wacky work firewall right now so I can't get the actual sites to load, just wikipedia.

When I was in college I lived right down the street from the Carnegie Art and Natural History museums (which are actually in the same building), and a good friend of mine worked there as a guard. He was a huge pothead so I'd meet up with him to smoke and then just wander all over the museum for a couple hours, especially the Art half. I must have explored some part of it or another once a week for a couple years. It was an amazing resource.

• Locked thread