Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HiipFire posted:

I'm the guy who gets to shiv a guy

Confirming, and wow is that post dumb.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HiipFire posted:

I'm the guy who gets to shiv a guy

Confirming, and wow is this post terrible. From 0 to "please don't throw me in dat briar patch" in nine words.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Whoops. I'm on my phone and the first time I tried I got a Failed message. Didn't look again before reposting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm happy enough to vote CPig on the basis that I think the assassin would want to joke vote to look active. Any of us could vote for the King in joke phase to throw off the scent - and possibly did, ahaha - but if the assassin votes in seriousness and inadvertently votes for the King we'll be onto him immediately. Not that we should at once jump down his throat for it, as he would twig that he'd voted for his target, but I do think our best bet is to look for the person who is looking for the hole in our voting.

##vote Pig

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CapitalistPig posted:

I'm not the assassin you dimwits.

This may or may not be true, but it got a couple of people to coattail on me so it's all good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

:redhammer:

Shut up, you're dead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I think Dragonatrix's post was weird but honest. I also think the assassin is one of the people voting for him right now. Kumba especially reads like he's fishing for a response. EXAKT and Mushroom were quick to hop on the Pig bandwagon too, which would be sensible for the assassin as he doesn't want to vote for anyone without at least one vote and preferably two, but I prefer Kumba.

##vote Kumba

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

i was wondering when some dumbo would come and vote me for that, lmbo

jedit your reasoning is hilariously short sighted

"the assassin doesn't want to vote for anyone without at least one vote"

*votes the guy who just put the first vote on someone*

I listed two competing strategies for the assassin. One is to throw around votes until someone slips that he's voted for the King; the other is to jump on other people's wagons because he knows that person won't be the King. I think the former is more likely than the latter, is all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mushroom was already on my list of suspects, but I agree.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

I told you guys, I didn't actually read my role PM. I figure if I'm a guard, knowing the identity of the king is just gonna make me overcompensate on pretending not to know. If I'm the king, I don't want to end up acting differently. And if I'm the assassin, what better way to blend in than by not acting like the assassin?

Except if you don't know who the King is, you end up acting like the Assassin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm in the same boat as EXAKT on this. I would prefer Kumba, but Mushroom looks bad for a different set of reasons that I outlined before voting Kumba in the first place.

##vote Mushroom

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Well, guess I'm not the King, then.

Don't like how many people were suddenly 'convinced' by Kumba restating an old case.

Are you going to throw that at me? Because I said you were bandwagoning long before Kumba did.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Right, back to plan A.

##vote Kumba

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

be warned, if you kill me, i will come back stronger than ever before

So you are the assassin, then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I don't know if we know what Asiina is, but as she was added to the game rather than replaced in odds are fair she's not the Assassin. Of course, Met could have forgotten to send an Assassin PM and had to add a new player because literally everyone knew who the King was.

Kumba, you would not be voting for me if you were a good guy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

Asiina is literally a jester fyi

Is there evidence for this? You and Asiina saying it don't count.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

blacknyte posted:

I'm having trouble getting excited for this game and did not realize that would be the case when I signed up. It's actually against our interest to do traditional scum hunting because: 1) there is only one scum; and 2) every time we make a case on someone who isn't lynched and isn't the assassin, then we give the assassin information on who isn't the king.

Kumba is either the assassin or not the king. I think he's the assassin because he's casting out random nets to see if anything moves while also trying to stay alive. If he votes/cases multiple people as the assassin, he gets information on who isn't the king based on our responses. He just needs to get lynched. If he flips guard, then we need to immediately lynch someone that he cased, not cast out more cases on multiple people and give the assassin more information.

Except the assassin is getting information from us being lynched anyway. A much better idea is to not lynch either of us, at least not yet, because then the assassin has to wonder why we aren't being lynched. Is it because one of us is the King?

You're right to cast doubt on me, though, because we cannot allow anyone including the King to be above suspicion. It makes it harder to find the assassin early, but the longer the game goes on the more likely it is that all the remaining targets have had a strong failed push on them. The only thing we can't afford to do is let it go to LYLO; at that point the last Guard will know who the assassin is, but the King will not. If the Guard votes first the assassin will kill the third player and if the King votes first and wrong he'll be outed.

So, with all that in mind:

##vote blacknyte

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

It's exactly what the guards should be doing too, though. Prod random people with a vote and see how they / the thread reacts. That's the definition of scumhunting.

If we prod by voting for the King then no matter who we are, any abnormal thread reaction - for or against - will indicate that the person we voted for is the King.

Mathematically our best chance is chaos: have the lynch leader determined randomly each day, then have him determine a random lynch victim from all remaining players including himself. The lynch leader would be picked by the previous chosen victim before we lynch him, so nobody would get to be lynch leader twice running. With only one bad guy there's no threat of teamwork on that front. However, because the Guards know who the King is they would of course be able to secretly exclude the King from their lists. The only way we lose is if the assassin is picked as lynch leader and he randomly picks the King.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Before anyone turbos me: we should pick a lynch leader as blacknyte suggested, preferably at random excluding Kumba (and me too, if you like). The more candidates we have, the less likely we'll pick the assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jesus, people were bad in this game.

Met, I think the problem with this setup is that there's no incentive for good guys to play. As blacknyte said, we could have started by picking someone at random and lynching at random and had a 12 in 13 chance of winning, whereas any attempt to win through skill reduced our odds.

I actually have a similar setup that I'm going to run now this is done. The main differences are that there is a scum team who also have an incentive to find the Assassin, and the King is hidden at the start of the game.

• Locked thread