Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
there was a zsz server but it required native mod installs and i dont think i want to install mods that arent mutators. also there were no good servers in general. did not spy a single instagib ctf facing worlds. nobody was on rats maps. no standard dm or lms either. very sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I wonder why nobody's playing this awful turd.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Ragg posted:

:colbert:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

THE PENETRATOR posted:

did not spy a single instagib ctf facing worlds.

All is lost.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fenrir posted:

All is lost.

Flaming clownass.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

THE PENETRATOR posted:

there was a zsz server but it required native mod installs and i dont think i want to install mods that arent mutators. also there were no good servers in general. did not spy a single instagib ctf facing worlds. nobody was on rats maps. no standard dm or lms either. very sad.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/specksunreal

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I tried playing some last year, and had similar results.2K4 is also on it's last legs, I wonder what they're playing now.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
perhaps the new free Unreal game by Epic will bring this shooter back from its untimely grave

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
RIP good multiplayer FPSs :(

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

perhaps the new free Unreal game by Epic will bring this shooter back from its untimely grave

It'll be poo poo no one plays like the other one, because not only does no one want to play arena shooters anymore, but no one wants to play a lovely one.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

last time i tried playing ut99 like half the servers with anyone on them were giant bathroom map, giant kitchen map, or giant living room map

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

last time i tried playing ut99 like half the servers with anyone on them were giant bathroom map, giant kitchen map, or giant living room map

UT players have serious brain damage and probably were not loved by there parent's, so this is unsurprising.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Wormskull posted:

UT players have serious brain damage and probably were not loved by there parent's, so this is unsurprising.

You really have a hate boner for this series.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had fun with the imps on ZDRs 2k4 server

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I had fun with the imps on ZDRs 2k4 server

Too bad the Auth thread for it got gassed now no one will know what they have to do to play on it.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Pay no heed to 'Wormskull' for he opted to play UT briefly in the heyday of his favored series, Quake, which he later picked up when Quake Live came about.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Truly a pitiable gamer filled with regrets.

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!
Never understood the rivalry between the 2 series.Q3A had some things that I liked over UT99, and vice versa.What kept me playing UT were the maps, they seemed a lot more varied, also the soundtrack was drat near perfect.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I enjoyed both UT and quake :)

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i did not like quake 3 for the reason that when i played it i was bad at it, and it did not have assault. however looking back, it was good, and i should have played more.

edit: quake 1 and 2 were better than unreal tho

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Was this the game where the AI would "learn" as you played? I remember some (fake) story where a guy left an AI vs AI server up for like 10 years and they just got bored and stopped shooting each other.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

crazkylo posted:

Was this the game where the AI would "learn" as you played? I remember some (fake) story where a guy left an AI vs AI server up for like 10 years and they just got bored and stopped shooting each other.

That was a quake 3 server and the bots had hit a memory limit. Some retard misinterpreted it all as some Wargames poo poo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lamebot posted:

That was a quake 3 server and the bots had hit a memory limit. Some retard misinterpreted it all as some Wargames poo poo.

Perhaps the lesson here is that war will only ever truly end when we have done it for so long our memory is filled with nothing else.

Makes you think.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

crazkylo posted:

no however bot difficulty was on a scale from 0 to 1000 and each "campaign" mission had the difficulty increase until u finally fought the robot guy who had 1000 and was really hard

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
i played ut99 instead of q3 during the time they were really popular and i dont regret it one bit :cool:

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I played both, they were both awesome in their own way.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Parallax Scroll posted:

Long live Levelord!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

UT2k4 was the last good arena shooter and the new one being good literally depends on the community, since they will be doing 80% of the development while a skeleton crew just gives them tools and guidelines.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I want it to be good, but I'm fairly worried about new UT. Their video on CTF made me think they're going to try and chase the esports money and make changes that make the game more of a spectator sport while disrupting the gameplay flow (e.g. breaks every single time a flag is capped).

The Flak Cannon looks pretty kickass (although I think it should be matte), and at the very least we'll get an awesome soundtrack out of it.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that if there is some toggle for it, but i would be sad if every ctf match turned into de

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Oh if it can be toggled off it would be fine, and if it wasn't toggleable, but was the only design decision that disrupted gameplay, I could live with it. I'm just worried that they're going to approach every aspect of the game that way, and the multiple minor annoyances could become a big problem.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lamebot posted:

Pay no heed to 'Wormskull' for he opted to play UT briefly in the heyday of his favored series, Quake, which he later picked up when Quake Live came about.

I didn't really know Quake was a thing until Quake Live and now that I know of it, I have no use for UT.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
Too bad you don't have the balls for CS:GO, huh?

Best Regards,
RG

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

RichardGamingo posted:

Best Regards,
RG

lol

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

richard gamingo ftw

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
eye opop

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

RichardGamingo posted:

Best Regards,
RG
go back to nofriendo, gamingo

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Great Joe posted:

go back to nofriendo, gamingo

get the gently caress out of here great joe and stop slandering gamingo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muddream
Oct 13, 2014

UT has always been an arena shooter with guns that are not only situationally better, but plain better aka a bad game series.

ONS_Torlan, however, is the greatest game demo of all time and i have the utmost respect for the gamers keeping it alive.

• Locked thread