Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

THE PENETRATOR posted:

no however bot difficulty was on a scale from 0 to 1000 and each "campaign" mission had the difficulty increase until u finally fought the robot guy who had 1000 and was really hard

Xan, literally an aimbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

muddream posted:

UT has always been an arena shooter with guns that are not only situationally better, but plain better aka a bad game series.

but every arena shooter is like this. you start off with a crummy default weapon and you can find stuff that's an upgrade from that or you can find the sniper/rocket launcher

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

UT2k4 good arena shooter

lfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

but every arena shooter is like this. you start off with a crummy default weapon and you can find stuff that's an upgrade from that or you can find the sniper/rocket launcher

Hmmm, sorry about the ones you been playing. In Quake the machine gun still has quite a number of uses even after you've found a rail gun, lightning gun, and rocket launcher.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

zen death robot posted:

Quake vs UT arguments are like xbone vs ps4 threads only like 15 years older

Boo frickedy hoo.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I hate ut2k4 like ut99 but rather play q3. there was this mod for q2 called Capture! that was ctf and jailbreak mixed together, more games need bad ideas implemented right away.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

zen death robot posted:

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

zen death robot posted:

It was dumb then and it's dumb now.Both games are good, and if anything compliment each other.To me neither game was truly better than the other.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Casanova posted:

It was dumb then and it's dumb now.Both games are good, and if anything compliment each other.To me neither game was truly better than the other.

Actually UT was way better than quake, assault, team dm, ctf, instagib

Quake 3 had none of that at launch

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

It's always weird to see everyone rave on about Quake 3. We played UT99 for ten years as _the_ arena shooter at lan parties because 2k4 was a bit lovely and Q3 just never appealed to us, it was... worse? A bit poo poo? Not as fun? UT has the best music, best maps and best M-M-M-M-MONSTERKILL yell, that was well enough

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Actually UT was way better than quake, assault, team dm, ctf, instagib

Quake 3 had none of that at launch

Lmfao.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Naxuz posted:

It's always weird to see everyone rave on about Quake 3. We played UT99 for ten years as _the_ arena shooter at lan parties because 2k4 was a bit lovely and Q3 just never appealed to us, it was... worse? A bit poo poo? Not as fun? UT has the best music, best maps and best M-M-M-M-MONSTERKILL yell, that was well enough

lmfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Spectacle Gamers ahoy! UT is very epic and Quake, the single best FPS mechanically, ever made, is trash! lol! Love when the guy yells "Holy poo poo" when I change the settings and then play on the green and brown variation of the rectangular 2-level warehouse dm map.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wormskull I want you to admit paying a monthly fee to play quake is loving retarded

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
hm however, we can for certain say, hldm was the best

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean seriously... Load outs in an arena shooter? Regenerating HP? Easy bunny hops (hold space lmao)

Seriously dude, quake live is poo poo

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Wormskull I want you to admit paying a monthly fee to play quake is loving retarded

It's the only place people in the USA play quake outside of deep web underground poo poo and a bunch of quake world people who have been playing for 40 years, that's on there last leg anyway and, since the duel, classic mode TDM and classic mode CTF in quake are still the best versions of those things, I don't mind paying to be able to play it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I mean seriously... Load outs in an arena shooter? Regenerating HP? Easy bunny hops (hold space lmao)

Seriously dude, quake live is poo poo

The "easy bunny hops" is almost entirely innocuous. All it means is that someone brand new moves 1/3 rather than 1/5 or 1/6 as fast as someone who played it longer. The other stuff either only happens in certain modes or can be turned off.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wormskull posted:

The "easy bunny hops" is almost entirely innocuous. All it means is that someone brand new moves 1/3 rather than 1/5 or 1/6 as fast as someone who played it longer. The other stuff either only happens in certain modes or can be turned off.

I thought the only way to turn it off was to pay? Because when I downloaded it those were the only modes available

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Duel is always in classic mode, and duel in quake is where it really shines even though the tdm and ctf are the best versions of that. Yea I guess you have to pay for classic mode but then you could just pay for a copy of quake 3 and download osp or cpm or whatever if you want to. And all that aside, whether QL is worse now than it used to be doesn't change that q3 and team based q3 are head and shoulders over other games in the modes they offer. UT has uhhh bombing run and that onslaught mode that people pretend to remember being cool but it was always garbage which is clear once they try it again.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Both of the games are dead anyway so we have to look at them like some kind of museum exhibit... And the Museum Guide has ruled the following: Quake is way awesomer than UT. If you like UT then whatever but don't kid yourself about it being better than Quake in any way except I guess if you put a high value on announcer voices or game modes that are fun the first time you do it.

"Quake was ... Not as fun?" - Fucktard who doesn't know how clocks work and just stumbles around the stupid rear end rectangle and giant featureless mountain maps.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

UT is win but i do agree quake is the better fps

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!
Anybody saying Q3A was garbage is crazy, the game still has the best movement in any FPS, that was one of the things I like about it over UT99.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope
install ut2k4, install strangelove redeemers, start game of bombing run, play nuclear quidditch

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

gets angry about people having good memories of UT in 2014 AD

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I was bad at bunnyhopping and diagonal movement acceleration so I like UT better

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Have you ever been shot by a real gun

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

medibot posted:

install ut2k4, install strangelove redeemers, start game of bombing run, play nuclear quidditch

lol

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
ut99 ctf pick up games left a warm feeling in me for years after its death to brave the slow death spiral of tribes as i played that obsessively.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

THE PENETRATOR posted:

hm however, we can for certain say, hldm was the best

no gauss gun in hl2dm was a grave sin that gaben will have to answer for at the pearly gates

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Both games are good, but I have more fun playing UT deathmatch than I do playing Quake deathmatch

also RichardGamingo just got off his 6hr if a friendly IK could take care of that tia

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fellis posted:

Both games are good, but I have more fun playing UT deathmatch than I do playing Quake deathmatch

also RichardGamingo just got off his 6hr if a friendly IK could take care of that tia

Dual wielding extreme amounts of fail. Incredible.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Lamebot posted:

no gauss gun in hl2dm was a grave sin that gaben will have to answer for at the pearly gates

rest in peace. half life 2 dm.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

rest in peace. half life 2 dm.

i think people still play that for the bizarrely complex puzzle maps

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
if it was reskinned hldm people would have actually played it

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
when half life: source came out i tried playing mp on it but the new engine hosed it all up

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i prefer ut but if you like quake better i respect your opinion

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Wormskull posted:

It's a poor fix for a problem (huge skill gap between experienced and new players) that should have been fixed by implementing proper matchmaking. It's a crutch that makes it less likely new players will ever learn strafe jumping, and if they decide to go play duel it's not even there.

Even loadouts were a better idea, although when I lucked into joining a classic DM server I realized how much I missed the gameplay that results from having to scrounge for good weapons.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Loadouts and the 5 second respawn time on weapons almost completely destroy the point of TDM in the game. 1v1 is classic mode by default last time I played so whatever about that. New people are either going to seek out how to move quick or they won't bother regardless of if they can move slightly quicker just holding down the button and it's still way slower, as in slow enough that anyone serious about playing the game is going to learn how to really do it. I don't think it's that great of a fix but I also think it's not worth bringing up to complain about, for the reasons mentioned above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Especially in light of poo poo like the loadouts, the respawn time changes, the respawn clocks, even the nerf to the LG and the implementation of HMG is more worthy of scorn IMO.

• Locked thread