Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What's the good word on this. Looks sort of cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
reminds me of the souls series but I haven't heard anything yet, although it does look cool

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Apparently it's too easy or something.

It looks kinda interesting but people are reporting all sorts of frame rate issues so I'm gonna wait and see if that gets fixed.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I don't really know anything about it other than some Souls fans are calling it a ripoff of the Souls games which is really funny to me given how much the Souls series "borrows" from everything else.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It looks like, "Well what if not broke brained japs made a soul game," for better or worse. All the soul games are too easy so, that's a ridiculous complaint.

Dec 26, 2012

i remember seeing alpha/beta footage and being unimpressed but i cant remember why. might be cool i guess?

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Apparently people that own the console versions are having tons of performance issues, frame rates dipping below 20. The games thread had a number of people voicing these and other issues, but they got called poo poo posters and trolls lol.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
it has a staggering number of technical problems and they had to release a 5 gb day one patch on consoles that didn't fix any of them

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
every other game these devs made is poo poo so i dunno y anyone expected it to be good

like their last 3rd party action rpg has the same issue of not getting over 20fps on pc lol

Dec 26, 2012

koolkal posted:

like their last 3rd party action rpg has the same issue of not getting over 20fps on pc lol

which was this

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
blood knights

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

it is exactly a Souls game only with a few interesting twists and even worse technical performance, and apparently it also plays a little slower? So if you thought Dark Souls was too slow of an action game maybe Lords of the Fallen will just make you mad

Also no online of any kind and you play a set character and it tries to have a story and cutscenes and poo poo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Harrow posted:

it is exactly a Souls game only with a few interesting twists and even worse technical performance, and apparently it also plays a little slower? So if you thought Dark Souls was too slow of an action game maybe Lords of the Fallen will just make you mad

Also no online of any kind and you play a set character and it tries to have a story and cutscenes and poo poo

welp thanks for saving me 50 dollars

Dec 26, 2012

maybe the performance can be patched. i dont know how you get slower than dark souls though while still being interesting

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Harrow posted:

I didn't find any real value in the online features for the souls games and don't give a poo poo about it being a set character. The technical issues are reason enough to stay away for now though.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

this sounds terrible. i love souls poo poo but won't be giving this a try because it reminds me too much of god of war or some bullshit like that, with the mad tuff bald guy as main angsty protagonist

Dec 26, 2012

yeah if the gameplay is good and it runs fine i really dont give a poo poo about the rest

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Story driven RPG with combat and various mechanics similar to Dark Souls sounds neat.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

b-but the best part of souls games is they don't have a real plot and you have to piece it together from item descriptions
:goonsay:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

b-but the best part of souls games is they don't have a real plot and you have to piece it together from item descriptions

i agree with the intentions behind your post but i will also say that honestly it isn't true there is a very real and obvious plot and it's only the backstory of the world (which you do not have to care about) that is handled such, and anyway the games are trash except Demon's Souls is my new opinion

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

they have a great plot that is told through the environments rather then big dumb anime cutscenes ala metroid prime

dark souls but with ugly graphics and a big dumb story with cutscenes sounds kind of bad

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i agree with the intentions behind your post but i will also say that honestly it isn't true there is a very real and obvious plot and it's only the backstory of the world (which you do not have to care about) that is handled such, and anyway the games are trash except Demon's Souls is my new opinion

Yeah I should have said (back)story. The games do have plots. I thought about that after hitting post.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i am glad you made the consideration at all and i thank you for your honesty

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

they have a great plot that is told through the environments rather then big dumb anime cutscenes ala metroid prime

dark souls but with ugly graphics and a big dumb story with cutscenes sounds kind of bad

The graphics look really good, at least I find. There's some really cool nvidia gameworks poo poo going on in it in regards to various effects and stuff - or so they claim.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

The graphics are p. good actually, but the artstyle is really Diablo 3 and/or Darksiders with big ol' shoulders and poo poo. That's probably down to taste, but the graphics technically look real nice (if the game runs of course)

the big dumb story with quest objectives on the screen and boring bald guy protagonist kinda makes me less interested, but also there are still apparently optional areas or areas you can go to out of order so at least it's not totally linear.

Still not a full-price buy i don't think, even if it is good

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFlQ9CtLi-0

:eng101: Cool Fricken Effects!!

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
More compelling and richer content *large bald guy in armor roars*

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I played about an hour of this. It's certainly slower in a "tanky" sort of way, and it works for the Darksiders kind of look. The roll feels hosed though, as if it's 4-way instead of analog. Not too sure what's up with that. When a hit connects it's pretty satisfying, it's got a real good Bonk! It looks pretty good visually. That's about it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
looks GBS

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

It looks like it apes a lot of the facets of the Souls games without an underlying understanding of why those mechanics are there from the way everyone's describing it. At the very least they seems pretty earnest and upfront about what they're trying to do. Probably a good title to wait for 50% off in a Steam sale or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gumdrop Larry posted:

It looks like it apes a lot of the facets of the Souls games without an underlying understanding of why those mechanics are there from the way everyone's describing it. At the very least they seems pretty earnest and upfront about what they're trying to do. Probably a good title to wait for 50% off in a Steam sale or something.

There are a couple of tweaks to the formula that I kind of like (from the standpoint of not having played it yet, of course).

You can build up an XP multiplier the longer you go without tagging a checkpoint, so playing riskier gives you more XP. Your "bloodstain" that holds your dropped XP when you die actually leaks XP over time, so there's even more urgency when it comes to retrieving it. But as another wrinkle to that, standing near it gives you a buff that restores a little of your health, energy, and mana over time, so if you died to a tough enemy it might benefit you to not pick up your XP right away and use the proximity buff to make that tough enemy easier for you. Of course you also risk leaking more XP from it and/or dying again and losing it permanently so it's more risk/reward.

Also there's a "perfect timing" system with melee hits that lets you consume less energy per swing if you time your button presses exactly instead of mashing and armor is apparently actually useful. And in some ways the way it handles magic is maybe better, in that it's very clearly there to supplement your melee fighting and not to replace it (unlike in Souls where it either makes things really easy/boring or, in DS2's DLC, becomes real close to useless because the games are built around melee) and you have spells no matter what your build is.

(I really like magic so I'd also like to see a future Souls game or Bloodborne just plain have more interesting-to-use magic than the current Souls games do, but Bloodborne might not have spells at all and that's fine too)

That's probably dragged down by all the bad ideas (boring art design, boring main character, pretty obvious plot, no online), but I'll give it credit for trying new things.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

I.N.R.I posted:

looks GBS

This.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

wtf...

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
it looks like a game made by the ind of dimwits who come up with stuff like fable, darksiders, skyrim etcetera.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
maybe im biased since i watched the 3 monute video of the gfx guy describing freaking sparks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

it looks like a game made by the ind of dimwits who come up with stuff like fable, darksiders, skyrim etcetera.

it is insanely generic looking

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I looked at the games that had the bald criminal space men and i said i want a game that has a bald criminal magic man

Dec 26, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

it is insanely generic looking

yeah for sure

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Any game with a background more than a expository plot is more interesting, IMO, so in essence I agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think it looks kinda cool, but I probably won't buy it since I got to much on my plate right now.

• Locked thread