Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mine was Castle of the Winds

I never got very far in it since it was a roguelike and I was a dumb kid, but to me it was the coolest game I can remember playing

every other game I owned was pretty static, but this game had different levels every time I played! Also you had different weapons and armor that could have stats. And it wasn't even ascii!

Also I was a really big chips challenge fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I remember that one. I think for me it was wolfenstien with my dad because he didn't want me to play video games alone. I killed hitler with my dad.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

holy loving poo poo im not the only person who played Castle of the Winds as a kid

edit: and chips challenge holy shitttttttt

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Wasn't chips challenge loaded into some store bought IBM computers? I remember playing that one too.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also I love looking back at that photo now and realizing they probably used MS Paint for a lot of the art

pretty sweet spraypaint effect on the river

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I taught myself how to read playing dragon warrior 3 with my dad when I was 5, so probably that

Beating that game with him over the Christmas break was awesome

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

BERGfu posted:

Wasn't chips challenge loaded into some store bought IBM computers? I remember playing that one too.

i remember playing it from like a 50 Windows Games install or something, it was the star of the show

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im playing this again tonight now

BERGfu posted:

I killed hitler with my dad.

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I taught myself how to read playing dragon warrior 3 with my dad when I was 5, so probably that

both legitimately cool and touching stories

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Oh, a big one I have fond memories playing: Zork: Grand Inquisitor, which I played because it was bundled with a DVD drive my grandpa bought.

i stayed up ALL NIGHT playing that thing, i had never seen anything like it, it blew my loving little kid brain

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
crystalis was the poo poo, yo

now its just kind of poo poo but I still love it for all the hours it entertained me as a kid

oh and heavy barrel was good too

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Final Fantasy III VI on SNES and Puggsy on Sega Mega Drive.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

I am really glad Zork: Grand Inquisitor is actually possible to play again thanks to GOG

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dexters Secret posted:

I am really glad Zork: Grand Inquisitor is actually possible to play again thanks to GOG

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I played a lot of bomberman as a kid and still do as an adult.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
As a thirteen year old i played a ton of 10 player bomber man on saturn

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

also i gotta mention Super Mario RPG because it's one of the few games I actually beat more than once, I think I played through it three times as a child

as an adult I have Super Mario RPG Revolution for LEGAL ROMS ONLY http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/611/

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In high school hauling everyone's tv and xbox into a room and playing 16 player link halo 1 and then halo 2, every weekend

Smoking a ton of weed and finishing smt 3 senior summer before college too

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I would try and fail to play legacy of the wizard when i was like 4. I just remember picking the dog a lot since he was immune to enemy damage.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
lots of good gamer memories

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

In high school hauling everyone's tv and xbox into a room and playing 16 player link halo 1 and then halo 2, every weekend

Smoking a ton of weed and finishing smt 3 senior summer before college too

holy gently caress I hosted a halo tournament in my garage one time

like we had all kinds of daisy chained power strips and big rear end CRTs and wires everywhere

pretty fun

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Castle Adventure

I still remember the opening jingle.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eonwe posted:

holy gently caress I hosted a halo tournament in my garage one time

like we had all kinds of daisy chained power strips and big rear end CRTs and wires everywhere

pretty fun

This was every weekend at different houses and we are pizza and drank bawls

Best time of my life. So much screaming about rockets, everyone had a profile. It was awesome

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Conker's Bad Fur Day on my N64.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Best time of my life. So much screaming about rockets, everyone had a profile. It was awesome

I met my best bud doing this with halo 1 and he's very cool

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Same, but I played Quake 5 years earlier.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

RIP lan parties

Powercrazy posted:

Same, but I played Quake 5 years earlier.

Fun memory of quake was people naming themselves whatevername's penis so when they got a rocket kill it was whatevername's penis splattered so and so.

GewuerzKahn
Jan 7, 2014

My opposable nipples are hurting me.

BERGfu posted:

I remember that one. I think for me it was wolfenstien with my dad because he didn't want me to play video games alone. I killed hitler with my dad.
Woah

As kid my father introduced me into gaming with Wolfenstein 3D.
Later we laughed at the first torture scene in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Goog times

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I remember picking up the Flamethrower at a Halo 1 LAN party one time and killing the host of the party over and over with it named *HIS NAME* sucks until he threatened to find out who it was and kick them out

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

I think the first game I beat without anyone's help was Crash Bandicoot: Warped

The start of my gaming career

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BERGfu posted:

RIP lan parties

Fun memory of quake was people naming themselves whatevername's penis so when they got a rocket kill it was whatevername's penis splattered so and so.

This proud tradition was accepted by ID and formalized into Quake2 and Q3A with more personalized kill feeds.

loving owned. Actually I think Quake at launch has that as one of it's main features. %player ate a pineapple, %player was shafted, %player ate %players lightining rod, %player was nailed, etc.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Donkey Knog 64, Super Mario Sunshine, or Doom

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I named myself AIDS at halo parties

You were killed by AIDS

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

You were killed by AIDS

%player ate AIDS lightining rod

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
maybe the incredible machine?

got a lot of good video game kid memories

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BERGfu posted:

%player ate AIDS lightining rod

haha

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I guess for multiplayer it would be either Melee or Double Dash. I was a teenager when SW Battlefront came out so I don't know if that counts.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
multiplayer with my best friend at our mutual friends house

his parents would give us a giant dollar-store tin of potato chips and wed play all day

mega man battle network vs, smash and melee, gamecube gauntlet, custom robo, gotcha force, mario party 1 2 and 3, goldeneye, battletanx

and the mac daddy of four player co-op, crystal chronicles

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Sonic 2 on the Genesis. It was the first game I played, and it was the only one I had for a long time so I would try it over and over until I could beat it regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Donald duck's playground for the Commadore 64

• Locked thread