Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That was a pretty lame mystery, but holy poo poo that huge scene where Sherlock tells Watson about how tedious maintaining his sobriety has become was loving grade-A television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That was a pretty lame mystery, but holy poo poo that huge scene where Sherlock tells Watson about how tedious maintaining his sobriety has become was loving grade-A television.
Yeah, that scene is exactly why I stick with this show.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized the thematic connection between time dilation and Sherlock's sobriety. God, I'm an idiot.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
On a lighter note, Sherlock turning his prodigious mental talents to the analysis of "Twilight" was utterly hilarious to me.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Still really like this show and the "tedious existence" scene was better than network TV deserves.

One thing I really wish the writers would do though: stop ALWAYS making Watson the restatement of exposition character.

I understand that this is network TV and they need to dumb things down sometimes. I agree that the best way to do this is to have a character explain the obvious to members of the audience who need everything explained in concise and easy to understand english. It's just especially bad that in this season, it seems to ALWAYS be Watson who makes the restatement.

It makes her character into the voice of the stupid, which goes against how she is otherwise portrayed, especially now that she's supposed to be good enough to do this work on her own. It's a disconnect when in one scene she's a mentor to Kitty and then in the next she's the one saying "this door was forced open!" when they approach a broken door.

I wish they would spread this around a bit. Kitty is supposed to be the junior: use her. In the first season, the police were often made to appear slightly foolish so why not use them again? Even Sherlock could restate things and Miller would find a way to make those restatements plausible.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

johntfs posted:

On a lighter note, Sherlock turning his prodigious mental talents to the analysis of "Twilight" was utterly hilarious to me.

Someone already did that (and it was glorious). The results were largely as expected: :itwaspoo:

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 9, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Best part was Sherlock offering the idea of a Bella/Edward/Jacob threesome as the obvious solution and then regretting that it wasn't to be.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!

Emy posted:

Nebulous future spoilers?: https://twitter.com/ELEMENTARYStaff/status/553387967377457153

I'm very okay with this. Interesting that it says "Irene".

Finally!

I think they phrased it that way to avoid a fundamental spoiler of the show if you've seen no episodes at all.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Just catching up on this week's episode, not only was the tedious existence scene great, but I also love that Watson slept over and Sherlock got to delight in waking Joan up like he used to.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
Yeah Sherlock spending time to learn the bugle to do that was great. :3:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It was a pretty good episode. The case was boring, and it seems like they squandered a good idea. The supporting cast was weak, and while the implications of the case were sinister it did not seem like anyone cared all that much about it. Luckily, they brought back Alfredo and addressed the lack of involvement with the program in a compelling way (thanks to great performances by the main cast, well, Sherlock anyway).

I wonder if they're going to address the mounting criticism of twelve step and AA at some point. It's become so popular to poo poo on the program, even the variants that forgo the "belief in a higher power" bit, that I doubt Sherlock would not have heard of it. While I'm sure critics have some good points, getting caught up in that would give Sherlock a good intellectual "out" and allow him to sabotage his own sobriety.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Am I the only one expecting that professor and the think tank group to be revealed as a stronger, more compelling 'Big Bad' by the time this season ends or the next one begins. Having a 3rd party alienate Sherlock from his sobriety seems to be the sort of machinations which would be perfect for their end goals of eliminating him as a potential threat.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Dead Snoopy posted:

Am I the only one expecting that professor and the think tank group to be revealed as a stronger, more compelling 'Big Bad' by the time this season ends or the next one begins. Having a 3rd party alienate Sherlock from his sobriety seems to be the sort of machinations which would be perfect for their end goals of eliminating him as a potential threat.

I don't know if you're the only one, but that plotline seems extremely unlikely. The think tank cares about stopping "Skynet" not Sherlock. As long as they don't actively murder people or perform other serious crimes, Sherlock doesn't care about them and the professor knows this. The professor's already had one run-in with Sherlock. This resulted in his student going to jail for murder, himself on the radar of Sherlock and the NYPD and his group being further discredited in the eyes of the public. Essentially, this is a case where Sherlock had a chance to get the guy for murder and wasn't able to nail him so the guy got away with it. Figure the guy isn't going to take another bite at that particular apple.

One thing about Elementary is how oddly realistic it is. Figure there's no big conspiracy to destroy Sherlock's sobriety. He's just dealing with the same stuff as other addicts. He's a dynamic, quotable guy, so stuff he said in meetings got quoted, that's all.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I see your point. I just assumed that Sherlock is such a talented variable they can't anticipate in the future WHEN their interests would conflict, so it may behoove them to consider moving towards discrediting him. A relapse in his sobriety would be an excellent initial start.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I hope they don't bring those guys back, they were not that interesting.
It deed feel an awful lot like they were setting up something down the line though.

johntfs posted:

He's a dynamic, quotable guy, so stuff he said in meetings got quoted, that's all.

I figured it was also sort of the writers nudging the fourth wall and giving a shout out to the fan community/tumblr gifs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's one of the rare shows where references to the "real world" don't seem pandering, they seem grounding. Tumblr exists and it's not inconceivable that someone would create such a blog.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pick posted:

It's one of the rare shows where references to the "real world" don't seem pandering, they seem grounding. Tumblr exists and it's not inconceivable that someone would create such a blog.

To be fair, that bit is pretty much stolen wholesale from the show with Rumpleneck Dumplestink.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Biomute posted:

To be fair, that bit is pretty much stolen wholesale from the show with Rumpleneck Dumplestink.

No, it's not. It's just a logical modern-day adaptation of what the old stories were, basically journal/diary entries of John Watson.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ashpanash posted:

No, it's not. It's just a logical modern-day adaptation of what the old stories were, basically journal/diary entries of John Watson.

While I see that celebrity/putting your life on the web stuff is a big part of our pop-culture, I don't think it's so big that it's a given that a show translates "biography" -> "blog".
People still write them in book format, and people still keep private journals and diaries as well. Sherlock (the series) did do that, and also made a conscious effort to keep the series grounded in that kind of modern reality, with a fan club and blogs/social networks playing a big part (Jim Moriarty discovers Molly Hooper after she's mentioned Sherlock on her blog, and uses her to get to Sherlock). I mean, that's hardly somewhere a crime/procedural has to go, even if the written word plays a part (Grimm has avoided it). So, I think the "criticism", as it is, is fair.

Wally P
Jun 3, 2007
spoon!

Biomute posted:

I'm not familiar with Sherlock the series, so ultimately I don't know. It doesn't particularly ring true given how Elementary has included the internet pretty consistently (True Romantics, Everyone, the conspiracy theorist forum the name of which is escaping me...). Of course, unless all of those things have direct parallels to Sherlock or something.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter whether or where they cribbed it from. Much more of an issue is whether something like this is uncharacteristic for the show and sticks out, and I don't think it does.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Yeah, I feel there is a direct parallel, but I don't think it's an issue or anything. It still works! It is just not "rare" or in any way unique to Elementary if the other modern Sherlock Holmes show did the same thing. The show has done plenty more original things, and certainly has its own flavor and style going on, but if one wanted to highlight that, I don't feel this particular example is the best one.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 15, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:siren: S3 E10 Seed Money :siren:

While Kitty tries to find a runaway teen, Sherlock and Joan work a case in which the murder of a brilliant bioengineer looks to be at the hands of a drug cartel. Also, Joan makes a major life decision but worries it will impact Sherlock negatively, not knowing that Sherlock has big news of his own.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I do sort of think they'd benefit from moving away from always-murder. Has there been a non-murder episode this season?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I wish they would, but apparently CBS stands for [insert some clever initialism that implies that old people love watching tv shows about murders].

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ashpanash posted:

I wish they would, but apparently CBS stands for [insert some clever initialism that implies that old people love watching tv shows about murders].

old people like seeing other people die. it makes them feel better about getting old/closer to death themselves.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Did the last episode just end with Sherlock and Joan talking at the rich guy's bedside? My recording just cut off.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ashpanash posted:

Clearly Bogus Suicides, or Clandestine Back-alley Slaughters.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Cadavers Beguile Septuagenarians

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

10 Beers posted:

Did the last episode just end with Sherlock and Joan talking at the rich guy's bedside? My recording just cut off.

Yeah, the last 30 seconds are Joan offering to move back in if it would help Sherlock, who replies that it would only be temporary anyway so it's OK, he'll be fine.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well it seems like the Kitty arc is finally going to take center stage.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

qbert posted:

Well it seems like the Kitty arc is finally going to take center stage.

I hope she doesn't die :ohdear:

Actually I hope she goes S1 Sherlock on the guy and captures / tortures him.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Elementary S3: "YOU HAVE APPROACHED ODIN."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The man who solved the goddamn elevator magnet murder in like five minutes wouldn't need Gregson to tell him why he didn't want Kitty there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I smell another interesting moral conundrum coming up. Yessss.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I really liked that episode. I hope they don't write Kitty off. I'd also like it if they focused more on how Joan has been changed by Sherlock; casting her only as the anchor does her a disservice.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Some Kitty-centric episodes will be nice. She could use the development

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Actually I hope she goes S1 Sherlock on the guy and captures / tortures him.

:black101:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The man who solved the goddamn elevator magnet murder in like five minutes wouldn't need Gregson to tell him why he didn't want Kitty there.

Sherlock knew the significance of the marks on the dead girl's back, Gregson was just saying it out loud so we knew. And to just say it out loud because people like to explain themselves?

I'm really worried about Kitty. :(

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hollylolly posted:

Sherlock knew the significance of the marks on the dead girl's back, Gregson was just saying it out loud so we knew. And to just say it out loud because people like to explain themselves?

I'm really worried about Kitty. :(
No I mean even before he's shown the marks on the dead girl's back he should instantly know why Gregson wouldn't want Kitty there the second he's told to come alone.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

hollylolly posted:

Sherlock knew the significance of the marks on the dead girl's back, Gregson was just saying it out loud so we knew.

A few pages back I was complaining that Lucy Liu was always the master of the obvious who would hold the audience's hand and explain everything aloud but this time it was Gregson so I was fine with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's just inherent to the show format. Maybe they could make it a little more natural, but stuff has to be communicated to viewers somehow.

• Locked thread