Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Annakie posted:

I'm so excited for the return of Elementary :dance: Great OP Hollylolly, most important character (Clyde) well represented. (Needs more Ms. Hudson and Alfredo though, maybe?)

My biggest gripe about last season will always be Joan and Mycroft's relationship. It felt cheap and unearned. Rhys Ifans is fine but I really hope they drop or seriously lessen any ongoing thing between Mycroft and Joan.

As I recall it, one of the plot-lines from the episode was that Mycroft has to run a gas station in Bucksnort, TN and otherwise avoid any further contact/communication with Sherlock and Joan lest they all be brutally murdered by French people.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Not really a specific character, but I hope Everyone is still a thing this season. I sort of wish this show was on ABC so we could've heard Jonny Lee Miller sing Let It Go in the pink prom dress. Also, Everyone set up one of the cooler moment on the show - Watson defusing danger from the mole by showing that he was being watched by Everyone.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Bruceski posted:

I assume Kitty either is or used to be evil and her past will catch up soon.

I don't know if she's evil, but I do sense a strong aura of Jason Todd about her. I doubt she makes it through mid-season.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Neep posted:

I want more Moriarty. I hope they didn't blow their Moriarty load too soon. The one off episode with her from season two was good as well.

I think I just really like Moriarty in just about any Sherlock incarnation.

I got pretty sick of Moriarty in the BBC Sherlock, but I love her on Elementary if for no other reason than she inspired the line, "The woman is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma that I've had sex with."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

hollylolly posted:

I dunno about Kitty dying, but there is a strong possibility she just can't hack it with Holmes. Her demeanor is pretty tragic and she's moved across the ocean with a genius crazy person. That isn't something normal people just do, Joan aside.

Thought it was a solid mystery, and now Joan has a nemesis all to herself. I do appreciate that they showed us Clyde in the first five minutes or so. The roosters probably got turned into stewtaken to the farm.

The roosters were taken to a petting zoo, as I recall.

As for Kitty, I recall a line from Rick and Morty that goes something like "You don't agree to have a theme park built inside you if your life's going great." I doubt you choose to become Sherlock Holmes' student/slave/sobriety crutch if your life's going great either.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

This episode really made me thing that Lucy Liu should have been Sherlock Holmes for the start, she has really grown into the role of a detective.

I kind of like the dynamic as it is. Sherlock isn't just a great detective, he's an extremely odd human being who is very British and walks a razor edge between genius and madness. I don't know that Lucy Lui could pull off the level of bombastic British craziness that it takes to portray Sherlock. I think they were smart to cast who they cast in the roles that they cast.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

I really feel like this show doesn't want to fridge her, and with her backstory it would be unusually sinister for a show that ultimately is pulling for kindness. But that means they have to do something with her, they can't keep relying on "funny circumstances are allowing Holmes and Watson to work together this time!"

Holmes and Watson didn't work together this time, at least not on the main case. I do wonder if Joan was in the meeting with Kitty just to support her or if Joan is also a survivor of a sexual assault. I don't this (the latter) is true but I almost hope it is just to have Sherlock wreak some horrible revenge on the perpetrator.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 15, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
"Just ride it out. If he starts hitting things, use the fire extinguisher on him."

Kitty's existence as a character is validated just because it allowed for that scene.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I kept thinking it would circle back to Melinda, Borstein's partner/assistant, who killed him to eliminate the profit-sharing and plant the idea that the AI was advanced enough to willfully commit murder (and thus be a true AI which would be worth a lot of money). I'll bet that Holmes kept a copy of the Bella program.

Also, kudos to Elementary for bringing in Raffles.

I will say that I longed for a Michael Emerson/Harold Finch cameo, but I understand why they didn't do it. As perceptive as Sherlock is, he'd certainly be aware of and active in the situations involving PoI's plotlines and I really don't want to see Elementary Person of Interest.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
There's no indication that this is a two-parter or even that we'd see the professor again in the future.

If you'll think back to the fourth episode of season 2, it had a similar ending when the parricidal ex-pen pal of Holmes chooses to confess to a crime she didn't commit to spare the sexually abused kid the trial and ugliness she went through.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I don't see it as a clear loss, but it was very much a partial one. The professor is unlikely to be able to recruit another student devoted enough to go to jail for him and even if he did, he knows he's on Holmes' radar now and will be unlikely to pull off another murder without being caught and having his work interrupted by jail time.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Maera Sior posted:

I'm really not sure why we got that Gregson plot. Every time they move away from Sherlock and Watson I want to change the channel.

We got the Gregson plot to learn that Gregson has a daughter who is also a police officer and to learn that Kitty is capable of quietly terrifying an abusive police officer into quitting the force and fleeing to Hobokan, which is awesome.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Still Fluxing posted:

I know some Sherlock fans (grudgingly) watched the pilot and then immediately dropped it because Joan and Sherlock weren't besties from the moment they met. But as long as you're aware that their relationship will grow as they get to know each other better, you're golden.

One of the parts I liked best about Elementary was seeing the Holmes-Watson relationship morph from mildly antagonistic professional engagement to mentor/student to true friendship. As far as the differences between Sherlock and Elementary, they feel like a divorced couple. Sherlock got the London setting, male Doctor Watson, 221B Baker Street and all the trapping of the Conan Doyle series. Elementary got its soul. In Sherlock Benedict Cumberbatch plays Sherlock Holmes. In Elementary Johnny Lee Miller is Sherlock Holmes.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Mr. Fowl posted:

I think this is a case where someone really just wanted to kill somebody, anybody. Even when it came to calling the authenticity of the map into doubt, it could have been done without murder.

Murder wasn't necessarily part of the crime. It was part of the cleanup. Streep-child wasn't Moriarty and had to let the thief and forger see her face to employ them. She killed the thief (and eventually would have killed the forger) to keep from being turned in or blackmailed.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
It's times like this in a show that reveal that we as viewers are essentially horrible, sadistic people.

Holmes is in a really good place with his addiction and personal situation, even being able to take on and help another person. Watson has taken Holmes' lessons to heart and become a successful private investigator and consulting detective. She's even in a long-term relationship with someone, even if there are a few bumps in the road of love. Gregson and Bell seem to be mostly doing well from what we've seen. Even Kitty, Holmes' damaged protege is clearly if slowly healing from the horrors of her past. These are happy people, or at least content people.

Happy, content people are dull to watch and the showrunners know this. And that is why Kitty is likely to suffer some horrible fate that ricochets through everybody's life. Sherlock will likely go on some vengeance trail and even relapse. Joan will lose her boyfriend as she tries to help him put his life together again.

Ultimately, Kitty must die horribly so that we can be entertained.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Biomute posted:

Kitty is going to use the skills she's being taught by Sherlock to brutally murder her kidnapper and almost gets away with it. Sherlock, who's seemingly stopped going to meetings/interacting with his sponsor will likely relapse (unless he already has, addicts lie after all). Sherlock has essentially created a new Moriarty and will burn himself trying to catch her as his sobriety goes to poo poo. The shock of losing two friends while her boyfriend is off in Denmark will finally make Watson lose perspective and she goes chasing after them. She's ultimately the one to solve the case and catch kitty, but in her effort to keep her two friends from killing each other she's neglected the relationship beyond repair. Throw in some kind of analogy for how Sherlock got Bell shot and her transformation is complete.

Except that Sherlock's sense of justice/morality is unconventional at best. Kitty murdering the man who kidnapped and raped her would probably be somewhat okay in Sherlock's eyes. The only way I see him going after Kitty is if she murders an innocent person (either she somehow kills the wrong man or causes deaths in addition to that of her target).

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Biomute posted:

Did he not comment on that kind of scenario though, or was that the other Sherlock? I remember something about him being very into hard justice, but that murder was somehow a clear moral line that he would neither cross himself nor tolerate from others.

The was probably the other, other Sherlock. As Narmi notes below Miller's Sherlock intended to torture Irene's killer to death. Whatever he said, it was clear to me that the only way Moriarty survived encountering Holmes was by being Irene.

Meanwhile, whatever his stated opinions about murder, Cumberbatch's Sherlock shot a guy in the brain to stop his blackmail. He was also pretty fine with letting Mary go be happily married to John despite killing a bunch of people and shooting Sherlock in the gut.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Scorchy posted:

I was wondering why he was flipping out on the FBI profiler guy, then on rewatch I noticed the bookshelf behind him was filled with books written by himself.

drat, I missed that. For my part I kind of liked the Blake Tanner character, or at least the idea of him. Holmes needs an enemy/foil in law enforcement and one of his stated objectives during this episode was to humiliate Blake Tanner. Humiliating a Special Agent in Charge of the FBI seems like an excellent way to acquire a powerful enemy.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

inklesspen posted:

This site may be helpful.

• Rumblesack Crimpysnitch
  • Beetlejuice Candygram
  • Bunsenburner Clombyclomp

I think it'd be fun if Jonny Lee Miller and Benedryl Cumberbun guested on each others' shows at some point. Perhaps each could play an actor who was going to portray Sherlock Holmes in an unauthorized biopic movie.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

VDay posted:

Ophelia Lovibond is a Benedict Cumberbatch-tier name.

Now I want to see them do a movie together.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
One of the plot points in the first season episode, "Rat Race" involved Watson realizing that a text from Sherlock wasn't actually from him. I think she says something like "It didn't read like it was composed by a nine year old on a sugar rush, so I knew it wasn't from you."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

You are a nerd posted:

You forget that they weren't willing to condemn him because he was crooked, they condemned him because he was crooked in a way that directly affected other police officers, a distinction worth making even if it's still more than you'd otherwise expect from CBS and their bevy of cop shows for old people.

to be fair, Elementary has been pretty unflinching when it comes to police criminality and incompetence. The first season had an officer framing Bell by shooting a drug dealer and Bell's brother. Season 2 had them taking down the head of the Demographics unit as a mafia plant.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

So, also because they were crooked in a way that directly affected other police officers?

The first case's officer was crooked in a way that murdered one person and attempted to murder another person all in order to frame a third person who happened to be a police officer. In the second case, the officer used his position to help cover up crimes committed by a mafia family. There's no real evidence that he endangered other officers.

Finally, in a repeat from the second season that airs again this coming Thursday, Holmes calls out an officer whose poor performance allowed a serial killer to stay free.

Elementary isn't The Wire by any means, but it generally treats police officers as people who are doing a difficult job but are nonetheless far from immune to criminal behavior and incompetence.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
:siren: S3 E9 The Eternity Injection :siren:

Watson, Holmes and Kitty investigate a nurse's disappearance.

This needs to be pinned on page one since it's a new episode.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 8, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
On a lighter note, Sherlock turning his prodigious mental talents to the analysis of "Twilight" was utterly hilarious to me.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Best part was Sherlock offering the idea of a Bella/Edward/Jacob threesome as the obvious solution and then regretting that it wasn't to be.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Dead Snoopy posted:

Am I the only one expecting that professor and the think tank group to be revealed as a stronger, more compelling 'Big Bad' by the time this season ends or the next one begins. Having a 3rd party alienate Sherlock from his sobriety seems to be the sort of machinations which would be perfect for their end goals of eliminating him as a potential threat.

I don't know if you're the only one, but that plotline seems extremely unlikely. The think tank cares about stopping "Skynet" not Sherlock. As long as they don't actively murder people or perform other serious crimes, Sherlock doesn't care about them and the professor knows this. The professor's already had one run-in with Sherlock. This resulted in his student going to jail for murder, himself on the radar of Sherlock and the NYPD and his group being further discredited in the eyes of the public. Essentially, this is a case where Sherlock had a chance to get the guy for murder and wasn't able to nail him so the guy got away with it. Figure the guy isn't going to take another bite at that particular apple.

One thing about Elementary is how oddly realistic it is. Figure there's no big conspiracy to destroy Sherlock's sobriety. He's just dealing with the same stuff as other addicts. He's a dynamic, quotable guy, so stuff he said in meetings got quoted, that's all.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I loved that it turned out the pot growing doctor preferred to continue working with the drug cartel that murders its enemies by burning them alive in tires instead of going with the agri-business. Presumably the cartel is more honest and ethical.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
True, but it's still funny to consider the idea that working for a vicious drug cartel is better than working for a major agri-business firm, bee-murdering bastards that they are.

Meanwhile, suggested thread title change: "Inner Me is now soiling himself."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

BreakAtmo posted:

I REALLY doubt that will be mere coincidence. That would be extremely lame in a way that I don't see this show doing. Joan's hiring must be directly due to her friendship with Kitty, somehow.

It's not like Joan, Sherlock and Kitty have been masked superheroes. Investigating Joan can turn up Sherlock and Kitty.. It's likely the insurance guy was telling part of the truth. His company worked with Joan a couple of times and he thought she'd be a good hire so he looked into her and found Sherlock and Kitty, at which point he hired Joan while planning to eliminate Sherlock and Kitty.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Biomute posted:

It kind of sucks that this rich insurance CEO is the bad guy, surely with his resources he can travel to some dismal country and murder people for fun there all he likes. They better come up with a compelling reason for why he chose Kitty as a victim in the first place.

Kitty was there. Kitty was vulnerable. Kitty fit his victim profile type. What more compelling reasons do you need?

Also, rich strangers going to "dismal countries" might end up raped and murdered before they get a chance to rape and murder their own victims. Serial killers like safety too.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Biomute posted:

Something that explains the added risk and that explains the change in MO. This guy has apparently been good at covering his tracks before, but suddenly he's all about leaving messages and giving Watson a job? I could buy some basement dwelling crazy or mobster doing this thing, but if he's going to turn out to be a semi-mastermind rich gently caress type I can't get it to scan. I'm sure there's some crazy Guantanamo Bay poo poo where rich monsters can go and do their thing, but as Sherlock said this guy has made it personal. Why? If it's something lame like "the one who got away/stalked kitty from afar during college" I'll be disappointed.

Kitty got away and damaged the guy's hand in a permanent way when she did. The guy is making it personal. As Sherlock notes, that's a mistake that they can capitalize on.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I love the way Elementary shows the ways that relationships between men and women can be deep and affecting but still non-sexual.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

Seeing as how they are in New York they must have bigger fish to fry than Kitty. Doesn't the boss care about the clearance rate? Demote the crime into a misdemeanor and move on.

Kidnapping somebody and burning his face off is not something that can be turned into a misdemeanor. However, Gregson can send an extradition request to Great Britain and Holmes' old colleagues who will quietly lose it or be "unable to locate the suspect."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Oroborus posted:

I hope it is Moriarty of all the guest characters I enjoy that one the best.

I love that Natalie Dormer's Moriarty has had more impact with less appearances than the Moriarty on Sherlock, who has appeared in some form or another in something like six of the nine total episodes of that show.

I have to admit that I'm both sad and grateful that she didn't appear while Kitty was around.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

hollylolly posted:

This episode was soooo good. Marcus and Sherlock team up? Moriarty enters the fray? Cute de-extinct baby animals?

"It isn't my world. It's our world."

Poor Joan. :( she needs a good cry.

I love that Elementary understands that a villain like Moriarty is best used sparingly. Thus far we've had six appearances by Natalie Dormer as Moriarty. Two were voiceovers. One she appeared as Irene briefly at the end of an episode. The next episode she mostly spent as Irene. There's only been two episodes where she appears onscreen as Moriarty for any length of time, "Heroine" and "The Diabolical Kind."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I thought one of the interesting bits was the sister's implication that even if the killer's plan worked and she got the five million, the killer would likely burn through it in a couple of years or and be right back where she was before putting her death plan into motion.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
If this episode had been on the BBCs Sherlock we'd have had Bumbledore Cabbagepatch try to "recover" his memories by shooting up with various weird chemicals and having half the episode take place in "drug vision" or something. If they were weapons, Sherlock would be some goofy anime sword that's all glowy fireworks and Elementary would be a stiletto that punches straight to your loving heart.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Hey, Hackers reunion. Also, holy poo poo what happened to Fisher Stevens' hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Maybe his character will turn out to be Australian.

• Locked thread