Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I wasn't quite into season 2 because of all the drama, but I rewatched season 1 recently and still think it's great. I think the writers watch a lot of other formulaic procedurals and just enjoy loving with people's expectations as to what to expect in a mystery show. Like that pizza delivery scene. And that actor who show up early on with 2 lines of dialogue is absolutely not guaranteed to be the culprit at the end, he usually just never appears again.

Also really like the earth tone palette and the wardrobe in this show of all things, Holmes insisting on buttoning all his stupid shirts all the way to the top just makes sense somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Pick posted:

I also liked the guy who wouldn't give a DNA sample because it was a violation of his civil rights was completely innocent. :monocle:

And in "The Red Team" how the conspiracy nut was just murdered by a friend (as discovered by the police without Sherlock's assistance), it just informed them of another set of murders. And in the bitey serial killer one how the guy who ran from the police only did so because he got freaked out.

My favorite remains the DNA doctor murderer who only appeared as a painting on the wall until the end scene cause he was sick the whole time.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Bruceski posted:

I'm not sure whether it bugs me or not that nobody commented on Holmes clearly drawing Watson's attention to the shower. She made the connections herself, but he made sure she saw it. With the bullet trajectory strings in the elevator (which I assume were tracked to the grooves) I assume he solved the case within five minutes and played dumb for the rest of the show.

Yeah he absolutely did figure it out as soon he walked in the room, him not swooping in to solve it was his way of showing he cares. Also had to laugh at Miller holding the coat hangers in the same awkward pose for the entire scene.

The murder method was a little ehh, it would have affected most of the stuff in their pockets as well as the elevator itself, but whatever, that's the convoluted Doyle-esque poo poo I come to the show for so I can't complain.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

It reminded me of the anthrax episode where I was annoyed at myself for not figuring it out first.

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh man they're doing a version of this story. I'm hyped.

Yeah I think it was one of the better short stories. For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Orange_Pips

I was scoffing a little at it, but the beads metabolizing into GHB was actually a real thing that happened :psyduck: : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bindeez

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

There was heavy stuff going on with Kitty's scenes and with the math guy, but in between that I must have bursted out laughing 4 or 5 times at various points. Just the whole thing with Watson being horrified at the thought of Sherlock and her being the parents to Kitty, oh man.

e: Also Sherlock continuing to wake Watson up in the worst ways despite not living together any more.

"...Hello?"
"You've had sex."

Scorchy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 14, 2014

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

I don't think it needs a second part, it's already a good ending if you accept that the AI themes were the main thoroughline and the murder mystery was secondary.

The end scene he comes back around to talking to the computer, but instead of questioning the computer's humanity, now he's questioning his own humanity on whether to turn the guy in. His Turing test ending inconclusively is mirrored in the episode ending inconclusively. It took a minute to digest it afterwards, but I thought it was very interesting.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Pick posted:

This one was pretty cute in terms of character plot stuff, but ultimately the core crime was kind of daft. Why not just ask to see the map, that you own, and quickly scratch out the tiny part of it with sandpaper or something? They can't really charge you with damaging something you own, even if it is on permanent loan. Even if they wanted to, I doubt they'd risk angering a donor, and even if they did, the crime would only be property damage and not super murder.

Wasn't it because it was already scanned and put online? She just replaced it with a fake map that was the same, then drew attention to it (with the murder), calling the authenticity into question and making it inadmissible in court. She didn't want to be traced back to doing anything to it since her family owned the land.

Scorchy fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 5, 2014

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

mushroom_spore posted:

Someone involved in the making of this episode really, really does not like Criminal Minds. :laffo:

I was wondering why he was flipping out on the FBI profiler guy, then on rewatch I noticed the bookshelf behind him was filled with books written by himself.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Great episode. The long scene where he confronts the blogger guy, wow.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Well the timing on this episode :geno:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/nyregion/two-police-officers-shot-in-their-patrol-car-in-brooklyn.html?referrer=&_r=0

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

I'm gonna be sad when Kitty inevitably leaves, I've been digging this weird separated parent thing they have going, Holmes as the overly protective dad and Watson as the cool mom.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Kitty dying, bad guy escaping, Sherlock relapsing, mid-season cliffhanger! would have been what any other show would have done. That, or the bad guy getting loose and getting the upper hand on Kitty, and then Sherlock riding to the rescue in the nick of time or something dumb like that.

At its heart it's a show about recovery and redemption. Sherlock just has a talk and leaves her to it. In the end they give Kitty the opportunity to make her own choice, and it's satisfying because it's not some cheap manufactured drama, it's the summation of 12 episodes worth of character development that leads up to it. They didn't even linger on any catharsis for Kitty on melting the guy's face off, they just skip to the aftermath, and it plays to the theme about recovery being a forever ongoing process rather than a moment of triumph. Pretty tremendous casting there getting Ophelia Lovibond for the role, she's consistently nailed it throughout. Only thing I didn't like was it felt like there scene missing for Kitty to say goodbye to Watson.

I don't know what they got planned for the second half of the season I can already sense a huge come down after this arc.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

I honestly thought the whole March vs Watson revenge thing was going to be the running plot for the back half of the season so I got caught off guard by the ending. But of course it makes sense for this show, it has always preferred internal demons rather than criminals as the arch villain of choice for its characters.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

I love the shot at the beginning when the detectives were done interrogating him and leave him alone in the room, and the camera lingers on him uncomfortably long as he sits there digesting. From that point on his body language completely changes, he's usually manically twitchy and bouncing up and down, but instead throughout the episode he's almost completely still and unmoving in every scene. Tremendous stuff.

Also love the callback to Doyle's Holmes' use of street urchins to deliver messages, but instead here it's because he had sold his phone for drugs, and because the street urchins had drug connections.

The mystery left much to be desired though, I mean they didn't even show the resolution... of how the guitarist's music got stolen.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Fedule posted:

So the episode was great and everything but both Elementary and Person of Interest have this week featured scenes in which someone cottons on to a lie by noticing that someone has told it using the exact same sentences on multiple occasions. Come on, guys.

Ironic when you think about it, really.

I think Elementary did it in the first season with the subway pusher episode.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Always makes me feel awesome to figure out the mystery just before they solve it.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

The mystery was so convoluted (so much so that they even comment on it) but at the end they mostly pulled it out? The kidnapping being the first plan and the bee genocide being a fallback option kinda made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Confirmed renewed for season 4, yay

• Locked thread