Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
In Honor Of
Allan Huber "Bud" Selig
Commissioner of Baseball Since 1998
(Acting Commissioner 1992-1998)

Today's Game

Today in Baseball History
  • 1931 - Lefty Grove, winner of 31 games for the Philadelphia A's, is named AL MVP. He led the league in strikeouts for the seventh straight season and topped all pitchers in winning percentage, ERA and complete games.
  • 1942 - Branch Rickey, the architect of the St. Louis Cardinals' farm system, resigned as the team's vice president.
  • 1969 - Tom Seaver, who won 25 games to help lead the Mets to one of the most unlikely championships in baseball history, is voted the NL Cy Young Award winner.
  • 1975 - Fred Lynn, who led the league in runs, doubles and slugging percentage for the AL champion Red Sox, is the overwhelming choice as AL Rookie of the Year. The Red Sox rookie recieves 23.5 out 24 possible votes.
  • 1991 - Buck Showalter replaces Stump Merrill as the Yankee manager.
  • 1991 - Braves skipper Bobby Cox becomes the first person to be named the Manager of the Year in both leagues when he is selected by the BBWAA as the National League's top field boss. The 50-year old former third baseman, who won the AL honor with the Blue Jays in 1985, led Atlanta to their first pennant, after the team finished with the worst record in baseball during the previous season.
  • 2006 - Silas Simmons, the oldest baseball player who ever lived, passes away at St. Petersburg's Westminster Suncoast retirement community in Florida. The 111-year old was a southpaw hurler in the Negro Leagues for 17 years and played for the Homestead Grays, New York Lincoln Giants, and Cuban All-Stars.
  • 2008 - Playing three innings at Citizens Bank Park, the Phillies complete the first-ever suspended game in World Series history, beating the Rays, 4-3, in Game 5 to win the Fall Classic.

* Believe it or not this was the most respectable photo of Selig I could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
It's all over after today

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

I believe.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
ugh, did this have to be a bud selig gdt

my buzz is shot

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

Every time kid rock sings 'I was born free' everyone do a shot.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Poonerman posted:

ugh, did this have to be a bud selig gdt

my buzz is shot

Considering that the Wild Card was Bud's creation, I'd say it's entirely appropriate for the end of this series.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Odds Bumgarner comes on in relief?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Won't be posting much as I'm out being social trying to score along with the Royals.

Go Royals.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I hope Bud Selig gets beheaded

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Come on Royals!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

100% if the Royals get any offense going?

So, like 45% maybe. Or less.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I honestly can't remember the last time I've been so nervous.
Go Royals

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

as likely as the sun coming up tomorrow

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

i think its basically a sure thing unless the giants are blown out or hudson throws a no hitter

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I hope Bud Selig gets beheaded
a little much, but its a foundation.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Poonerman posted:

What is this "tomorrow" of which you speak?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
gently caress the giants go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcIKh6sBtc

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Poonerman posted:

I hope it won't happen but it is assured. Much like everything in sports and life.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
This is the coin-flippiest game of the coin-flippiest World Series.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

Won't be posting much as I'm out being social trying to score along with the Royals.

Go Royals.
Pretty greedy hoping for two things that you've been waiting for your whole life to happen in the same night, dude.

fluffer muffle
Oct 15, 2010

RE: RUN SUPPORT

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Pretty greedy hoping for two things that you've been waiting for your whole life to happen in the same night, dude.

Brutal.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Today in Baseball History
  • 1975 - Fred Lynn, who led the league in runs, doubles and slugging percentage for the AL champion Red Sox, is the overwhelming choice as AL Rookie of the Year. The Red Sox rookie recieves 23.5 out 24 possible votes.
How do you get a half-vote?

ArseMan
Jun 7, 2003

Jeg kan ikke snakke norsk, men jeg fortsatt elsker mitt fedreland :norway:

Everblight posted:

How do you get a half-vote?

One dude must have split his vote between Lynn and some other guy.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Go the Royals

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

In Honor Of
Allan Huber "Bud" Selig
[u]Commissioner of Baseball Since 1998
(Acting Commissioner 1992-1998)
I like that he was the interim Commissioner for six loving years.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

An opera singer? :getin:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3oMa0LQh4s

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Anthem putting me to sleep

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

So stoked for game 7 baseball.
Go Royals.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
This is not an orchestra. :colbert:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Opera gently caress yeah.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Good anthem

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
Let's see if I got that sweet sweet Game 7 regdate. Also hello everyone and let's root for 20+ innings. Maybe it'll only delay the offseason by a couple hours but hey, I'll take it.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Jesus lady, ease up a bit on the vibrato.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has anyone an HD stream?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
gently caress You San Francisco.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

William T. Hornaday posted:

Actually she was just singing behind an invisible box fan.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Go Royals, but I really just want to see an awesome game.

Game 7s own.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Go Royals! (been on the train since Game 1......, of the World Series)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

William T. Hornaday posted:

I'm not sure if you've ever heard opera before, but that's kind of a thing with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Roooooooooooooooooyals

• Locked thread