Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
~$800 is the magic number for jeep trucks. There are enough datapoints on this forum for me to make this statement.

Also my $800 MJ is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
MJ update, sans pictures.

Sunday, I went to a buddy's house to use his mig welder and put new floors in. Was using the smallest mig wire he had, but it was still too big for the sheet metal I was doing, so I burned quite a few holes. An afternoon of cussing, grinding, and putting out fires when poo poo got too hot, the basics were done. Despite local auto parts stores saying on their website that seam sealer is available in store, it is not anywhere I've gone, so I have to wait for it to come in the mail. I haven't drove it since Sunday and when I went to move it today, I discovered that my keys are not on the keyring anymore, so I don't know what the gently caress. I can't find the spare set, but I didn't go crazy looking either.

I purposely did not take pictures of the welding because it looks like straight dog rear end, but the panels are solid and not quite as springy as the structural carpet that was there before.

My passenger floorboard is a sheet of ice right now, so in the next day or two once I am done reading up on what brand is best, I'll be ordering new window seal kits and installing them. Rear sliding window leaks a bit, I'm tempted to just use black caulk for now because I have never used the rear sliding windows on any trucks I've ever owned so it doesn't need to be functional until I can fix it properly/find a solid rear window.

Rear passenger tire has a slow leak, too slow for soap test though, so I might just slime it and see if that works, never tried the stuff.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Sandbagger SA posted:

~$800 is the magic number for jeep trucks. There are enough datapoints on this forum for me to make this statement.

Also my $800 MJ is awesome.

Same here. $800 on the comanche I built for my brother.

And yeah, to the OP: Jeez man.

This was all the rust on the truck (see footwell). I wirewheeled it off. At some point it makes more sense to just buy a non rusty truck out west/south than fix one local to you.

Edit: With white paint so you have some idea of what the metal should look like.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 19, 2014

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Boring thread update yay

Floors are nearly done, just need a little more seam sealer to touch up a couple spots I missed. Pics coming when it's all done.

Changed the trans fluid because it was nasty when I dipped a finger to check the fluid level. Found bits of synchro gears in the bottom of the drain pan, but not having trouble shifting so it must not be that bad. This trans is getting pulled once I find a suitable replacement since my input shaft bearing is shot. Below are pics of the trans fluid and magnet on the plug.

I spent $175 last night on new window seals, inner and outer shifter boots, as well as some seals for where the shift lever enters the top of the trans, since they are all either missing or torn to shreds. Got shipping notifications from both companies today, hoping to get them before the weekend.

Also, just a pic of the stuff I do at work. That 90 is for 16" schedule 40 pipe. The flanges on the pallet are fuckoff huge, can of pipe dope laying there for scale. Stainless pipes in the background are 8" schedule 40, not sure about the rusty one. I don't have certs to weld for the refinery, so I mostly help with field measurements, cut pipe, prepare joints, hold things in place while the welder does his thing, and install the pipe when it's done.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Today was a good day, except for the rain. I went over my parents house to use their garage again and got some work done.

First up was transmission boots and whatnot. When I pulled the console, I saw that the floor pan and trans boots were both hosed, so I ordered new ones, as well as a few other parts and now they went in.

Links to the parts I used (copied from a teamcherokee forum post):

1. Inner boot
- http://www.quadratec.com/products/52106_03.htm
- #52078970AC
3. Boot
- http://www.quadratec.com/products/52109_02.htm
4. oil Seal
- http://www.quadratec.com/products/52118_022.htm
- #4864226X
5. Bushing
- http://www.quadratec.com/products/52111_02.htm

Before I started:

Unscrewed boot from floor pan, cut remains off with a knife, pulled shifter handle out:

Place shifter in bench vise, hammer with brass punch to separate 2 parts:

Clean up parts with solvents and an old toothbrush. I also replaced that plastic cap on the end of the shifter with a new one but didn't take a pic:

Install the hard rubber ring that the large slotted ball rides on. This was missing when I took it apart, I'm so glad I ordered a new one.
Before:

After:

Grease the large 1/2 ball on the lower half of shifter handle and cuss at that retaining cup for 5 minutes getting it to lock in:

Install trans shifter boot, which was somewhat of a pain to get it locked into the groove around that opening, surprisingly:

Install floor pan boot. The part I ordered is slightly different than original, so I had to orient that half moon cutout differently to get the holes to line up. Easy enough:

Before I put the upper half on, I put a little bit of anti-seize in the socket. It was way too hard to get out before and I had to let it sit for a few minutes with some kroil.

Figured out why I didn't have am/fm signal on my radio. This connection here had a rusty spring as part of the assembly and the rust was (I think) stopping it from making a good connection. Once I threw that spring away, everything worked great. Still don't understand why they did it that way but it works now so whatever.

I really need to pick up more of those black raven gloves, this black goop from the shifter socket won't come off with gojo and a brillo pad.

iForge fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 7, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Good work. Those jeep radio connectors are so stupid. Our 95 always had issues and my sisters TJ is a bitch access wise to plug back in.

I love those black gloves since my nails were getting hosed up working on cars every weekend.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Gojo and a brillo pad is my usual go-to when I have greasy hands, but I'd much rather save the effort and use the nitrile gloves. I have big hands, and they are the only ones I've found that make the double extra large gloves that don't rip the second you look at something sharp.

One other thing I forgot to mention, I can no longer hear my input shaft bearing rattling now that all that rubber is in, so it must not be as bad as I thought. Still want to get a spare ax-15 though.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Bought new window wipes a couple weeks back, because mine looked like a bunch of hillbilly teeth. Finally got around to installing them. Super easy, but the quality of the new seals was disappointing. They were manufactured by Rugged Ridge.

As you can see in the picture below, they are pretty flimsy and the window tends to fold them in when it rolls down. Not sure what i'm going to do about that.

And they were cut a bit short, so they leave gaps on the ends.

I put a call into TeamCherokee where I purchased them to see if they are willing to send me another set.

Also, Kastein gave me a spare ax-15 for AI:SS. I need to put a new output seal and pilot bearing(FC69907) on it and it is ready for battle.

Coming in the next couple weeks or so:
Building a dana 44 rear for the MJ.
re-gearing my front dana 30 to match the new D44.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Pic is kinda blurry, but I picked up this set of 5 for $125 today. One tire is brand new and good to use as a spare, the others are trash. Time to start looking for a set of used tires in decent shape.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Those rims will look great on your MJ

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

This thread has languished far too long. Winter has kept me indoors but its getting a little warmer and I am employed again, so it's time to whip this MJ into shape. There are some things to fix, some upgrades to be made, and poo poo to drive over/crash into.

3 month plan:
New front and rear axles installed and all 4wd issues fixed. Big shout out to Kastein for helping me acquire these.
Bedliner interior.
Fix leaking rear window.
Remove whats left of my rocker panels and weld new ones in.
Swap the trans I have in currently to one that doesn't have a failing input shaft bearing.
4.5" lift on front and rear.
New tires that aren't egg shaped and alignment.
Possibly a roof rack to get the spare tire out of my bed.
Body work and paint (maybe)

In the mean time, I'm working on poo poo like tearing down this 375-ton low pressure chiller so it can be removed and replaced. The piece on the pallet weighs north of 2,000lbs. My work partner is hiding in the first picture to give you an idea of how big it is.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Today I got to working on the MJ a little. Partly out of necessity, and partly to get off my rear end and start getting it set up how I want it.

Adiabatic and I have twin MJs!

After my trip down to Adiabatic's house for his birthday, one of my idler pulleys decided to start giving up the ghost and was whining like hell, so I wanted to get that settled before it went pear shaped and left me stranded. I also decided to do the serpentine belt while it was off since it was in the beginning stages of developing cracks. $66 later and I have new parts that went in very easily, aside from me having some trouble getting my hands past the fans to maneuver the belt into place. No pics of this because it's boring work.

While I was out getting parts, I stopped by the steel supplier and bought materials to fab up a new rear bumper. The main body will be 2"x6" tube steel with an integrated trailer hitch and 1/2" plate mounting brackets and recovery tabs and will hold up to any abuse I will throw at it. After I got the belt and pulley sorted out, I set out to pull the old saggy hitch and bumper off. I broke all but one of the bolts because they were too rusty, but I'm not reusing those holes so I don't care. The mounting brackets will pass through slots cut in the tube steel and stick out for recovery tabs so any strain on the tabs is transferred directly to the frame of the truck. This will make for very sturdy points to drag my dumb rear end out when I get stuck.

Old saggy bumper:

Half-assed drawing to illustrate my plan.

Current state: Tube steel for the bumper is under the truck

This is as far as I got today. Tomorrow will consist of a lot of measuring and layout so I can make the brackets, mount them, tack weld everything where I want it, then pull it off and I'll get it welded up some time this week. I still haven't figured out what size hardware I'm going to use, but it is going to be grade 8 for sure.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Forgot to put this in the other post, but when I was under there I noticed that my fuel line was resting on the drive shaft. I replaced the tank back in November, and either forgot to clip the lines back up, or the clip failed I'm not sure. I'm just glad it didn't wear all the way through.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That would not have gone well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rotate the hose 90' and move it along to polish the next section.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Haha good idea Cakefool!

World's slowest bumper build continues. Today was the first day I got to doing anything on it aside from layout work. I cut the tube to size, torched a few holes for the hitch receiver and mounting brackets/recovery tabs after a lot of careful measuring and marking. The mounting brackets run through the tube and serve as recovery tabs, so any pulling on them goes right to the frame. I'm going to double them up to beef up the recovery tabs, but didnt bother taking a pic of those pieces. Everything is ready to tack up for final welding once I drill the holes in the frame for the mounting bolts and pick up hardware for it. The receiver is a $15 HF part that Kastein tipped me off on. I was going to buy something more expensive and cut it up since I didnt know HF made this, so thanks Ken! Plan is to have it all welded up and ready for paint by Friday and hopefully mount it Saturday

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Bumper is complete. Its not 100% perfect but its 1000x better than what was on there before so I'm very happy with how it turned out. Next up: Trans swap.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Awesome bumper!

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Thanks Sandbagger!

Did a little work on the MJ today.

Chrysler used this lovely 90 degree oil filter adapter on some, if not all of these engines. It is not needed, as the oil filter fits just fine without it, and it just becomes another place for oil to leak, because it is not easily serviced while doing an oil change. Mine was leaking a tiny bit when I bought the truck and I wasn't going to do anything about it, but it has steadily gotten worse, to the point that I have to put oil in daily, so it was time to eliminate it.

The internet told me that it takes a T60 torx bit to remove it, but mine was hex. My largest allen key was too small, so I started trying to fit bolt heads in there until I found the correct size. It was 9/16" and I remembered that a 3/8" allthread coupling takes a 9/16" wrench so I dug one of those out and used it. Took a 2 foot piece of pipe and almost breaking my wrench to get it off, but I got it.

Next, that male-male adapter seen in the bottom of this pic gets taken out of the filter adapter housing and screwed into the block

Shot of the filter adapter minus the male-male adapter

New filter installed! No leaks, and plenty of clearance.

I also pulled the lovely plastic bedliner out that I have been meaning to trash for a while. I'll take pics once I clean the bed, I don't think it has ever been out so its absolutely filthy underneath. A little bit of paint rubbed off here and there, but no rust!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Pretty slick on the all thread coupling.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

angryrobots posted:

Pretty slick on the all thread coupling.

Thanks! It was kind of a stroke of dumb luck that I remembered that.

Any movement on getting your 87 MJ swapped over to 4wd? AI needs more Comanche heroes!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Wait there's another one? I knew about Sandbagger, me, you, and kastein. Who else?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

iForge posted:

Any movement on getting your 87 MJ swapped over to 4wd? AI needs more Comanche heroes!

I've got most of the parts to do it: axles, linkages, transmission, tcase, shifters.

The engine doesn't overheat randomly anymore and the coolant system doesn't grenade or blow pints of antifreeze through the exhaust.

My most pressing concern at the moment though is fixing the whole "rolling electrocution hazard" bit. The PO had a classic case of MJ C100+brake fluid= failure. Kastein might end up with a spare harness though and I'm still keeping an eye out otherwise for a donor harness.

It'll be super nice when I can do fancy things like turn on my map light or use the heater.

Adiabatic posted:

Wait there's another one? I knew about Sandbagger, me, you, and kastein. Who else?

Oh- woops. Oh well. This is my excuse to update everyone on my MJ.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 1, 2015

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

iForge posted:

Thanks! It was kind of a stroke of dumb luck that I remembered that.

Nah it's still just holding down the shop floor. I'm hoping to start wrecking out the 2000 xj in the fall.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
More Comanche goodness:

I threw on the rims and tires that Slow as Fast gave me in exchange for beer. :glomp:

This is the result of about 40 minutes of wire wheeling and epoxy paint spraying. I will say that if you ever remove a lot of rust from a set or rims and repaint them that you should ABSOLUTELY have them balanced before you drive them on the highway.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Got to do a little offroading at work on Friday. And by offroading, I mean I got my work van stuck in the mud. Ground felt firm enough when I drove in there, but after about an hour of work, I noticed the rear tires had sunk in a good bit. Cue me spending an hour with a chain comealong, shoveling gravel under the tires, trying to get up on some old plywood that was leaning against the fence, and destroying some aluminum screen filters before calling a tow truck to come winch me out.

I got new tires from the MJ, but I realize now that I never took a picture of them mounted on the rims. :doh:
Hoping to get the time to swap them on tomorrow. They are Firestone Destination A/Ts

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Good tires, I have them on my Tundra.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

Yeah, I was surprised at how capable they were on my mother's Axiom.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I got tired(heh) of riding around on egg shaped BFG KM1s so I started poking around looking at new tires for the MJ. Initially, I ordered a set of 4 tires from Treadwright, and after being told that they shipped 3 times on 3 different dates, got lies and a runaround every time I called. I left voicemails and called repeatedly over a period of 2 weeks and never got a call back or explanation. I was finally told that they didn't ship and they wouldn't be able to make more for another 3 weeks. gently caress that and gently caress them. Took me forever to get someone on the phone with the authority to cancel my order. I do not recommend them PERIOD, unless you're cool with being lied to repeatedly and don't care how long it takes them to ship your tires.

Anyway, I called my buddy and ordered some Firestone Destination A/Ts through his shop. 4 tires mounted and balanced for $536 with a $70 mail in rebate that knocks it down to $466.
Old and busted VS new hotness

Baby's got a new pair of shoes!

The jeep is scary quiet now. Ive been driving on oval mud terrains since I bought it in September of last year, and for the first time I can actually hear the engine over 15mph. So happy with how they look on the new rims too. :dance:

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, I was surprised at how capable they were on my mother's Axiom.

angryrobots posted:

Yeah I have them on my Dodge Ram and they are great in all weather conditions. It is 2wd with a limited slip rear and I never get stuck in winter. Ever.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Back in December, I posted some pictures of me replacing the shifter boots and whatnot on the Comanche. The boots (that I bought NEW from Quadratec) are already split, the plastic bit on the end of the shifter disintegrated and fell inside my trans never to be seen again, and the window seals (teamcherokee) are already splitting. I need to sort out warranty poo poo with them because that is seriously horse poo poo.

I am late posting this, but a couple weeks ago I started swapping the trans to the one Kastein gave me for AISS. The input shaft on mine had been making noise, more on that in a bit. Trans swap went sucessfully, all things considered.

Driveshafts, crossmember, and transfer case removed.

Metal filings stuck to the magnet on the AX15's drain plug. I changed the fluid maybe 7 months ago and the magnet was just as bad, I think the old transmission is a little worse than I expected.

Old transmission, transfer case, and "new" transmission. The one I will be installing is the top one that isn't covered in oily gunk.

Bellhousing bolts removed. Note that when the P/O swapped this in, he only used one dowel pin.

Clutch assembly removed. You can see the pilot bearing there inside a bushing inside the end of the crank. The transmission that was in the truck was a 1988-1991 with the small pilot tip (19/32") on the input shaft. The engine came out of a 1994 Cherokee which uses the larger (3/4") tip. I don't know if he left the old bearing in or put a new one of the wrong size, but he failed to change this bearing over to smaller size when he swapped the engine in, so that means that with the smaller tip going into a larger bearing, a difference of 5/32", the end of the shaft had 5/64" of play in any direction from center until it would touch the bearing. The bearing is there for a reason, the shaft is not supposed to have play in it, period. The end of the shaft being unsupported is what killed my input shaft bearing. We are talking about a $8 part here and a quick google. Dumbass.

The old bushing and bearing looked like they were installed with a sledge hammer, and while I was able to get the old bearing out, I could not get the old bushing out. I pressed the bearing out of the new bushing that I bought and installed it in the old one and moved on with life.

Everything went back together well, aside from me getting two bolts holding the bellhousing to the engine, crawling out from under the truck to get a longer extension and realizing that I forgot to put the throwout bearing and cross-arm in. :doh: I got them back in and got the rest of the truck put back together. The last thing I found was that the P/O had sealed the lovely old donut gasket at the manifold flange with JB weld and it all fell out when I took it apart, so another $10 for a new donut gasket and the swap was 100%.

Two days after I got everything back together, I drove the truck over 1,000 miles to be on the service crew for Slow_Is_Fast at the New England Forest Rally and the transmission worked great. Another P/O hackjob fixed.

As Kastein put it quite eloquently, the P/O of this truck deserves to be beaten with a tube sock full of padlocks.

iForge fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 22, 2015

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

iForge posted:

As Kastein put it quite eloquently, the P/O of this truck deserves to be beaten with a tube sock full of padlocks.

Glad to see everything went back together fine.

I loving hate P/Os

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

iForge posted:

Two days after I got everything back together, I drove the truck over 1,000 miles to be on the service crew for Slow_Is_Fast at the New England Forest Rally and the transmission worked great.

Way better than the brakes :v:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

New England Forest Rally.

I must say, having never been on service crew for a rally race, I didn't know what to expect going up to crew for Slow_Is_Fast and his sister/codriver Angie but it was an amazing time. I met a lot of really cool people and learned a lot. I did scrape by with what I brought, but if I am invited back next year, I will be more prepared as I was missing a few metric sizes that I needed. Instead of my usual style of intermixing text and pictures, I am just going to dump all the pictures at the end. Adiabatic is Wes, Slow_Is_fast is Dan, and ChrisGT is Chris. I am not sure if Jake is a goon actually, so Jake is Jake. Dan's dad was awesome as well, cooking/buying us food the whole time and helping out a ton during the whole event.

Wes and I were invited to crew for Dan for NEFR a while back and we happily accepted. Plans were made, emails sent, and the wheels were in motion. Wes and I decided to drive up together, but in separate vehicles because we both wanted to bring our Comanches. This turned out to be an excellent idea, twin white MJs on a safari to the frozen north in search of truth and fun.

Wes being in Virginia and me being on the Delaware/PA border, meant that he had a 4.5 hour head start to meet me at my house. We met up at my house at 10am as I was just finishing loading all my stuff. After talking briefly, we headed to WaWa for fuel, food, and cash. The trip had begun. Having stocked up, we hopped on I95 for a bit, took 322 into New Jersey, and headed up the Jersey Turnpike. Somewhere just south of New York City, Wes overheated. We bled the air out of the system, refilled it, and moved on. I was in lead at this point and in the midst of a maze of interchanges, onramps, and offramps, the gps on my phone poo poo out. Knowing that we were headed for the George Washington Bridge, I followed signs as best I could as Wes wondered what the hell I was doing. We made it through and pressed on through Connecticut.

Somewhere north of Bridgeport on 15 in moderate traffic, another overheat. We pulled over, popped the hood, and heard tires screech and a bang. A new Cherokee was driving by and presumably eyefucking our jeeps and rear ended a KIA in front of him. After a phone call to Kastein for some advice, we headed towards Bridgeport to find an auto parts store to get a kit for testing for exhaust gases in the cooling system. Test came back negative, we ate at a Taco bell, and decided to drive ~15 miles, find a hill to bleed the system on, and continue our journey. We found a small but suitable hill behind a service plaza and bled the system, got fuel, and continued. We made it to Newry, Maine without any further issues.

We arrived at the ski resort where the rally was based around 11pm and parked at the condo weary from the road. We ate, drank some beer, and passed out. The next morning was the Park Expose. We registered as service team members, hung out with Dan for a bit, and when it was time for him to head off to race, we went to the service park and set up our area. First day was brutal for a lot of teams. There were a lot of crashes and broken cars being towed in as we waited for Dan to come in. Aside from a couple loose suspension bits and a broken headset jack that was easily fixed, there were no issues with his car. The other teams, however...

Fabio is a friend of Dan and I'm not sure if that is his real name or a nickname. Fabio blew his engine and was towed back. Dan had a spare engine and gave it to Fabio under the condition that if it worked when they installed it, they would settle up with money later. If not, no big deal. Fabio's team set to work on swapping the old motor, with a lot of help from Wes, some from Chris, and a little bit from me. They had some issues getting it apart, but ultimately got everything swapped to the "new" engine and were able to race the second day.

Rob from Rez Racing. Rob is another friend of Dan's that had engine trouble during the first day and had to do a motor swap. They ran out frantically for parts and came back to the condo complex somewhere around 10:30pm with a used engine and supplies. Wes, Chris, and I went outside to drink and help them with the swap. Old engine out, swap parts from old to new, new engine in with a lot of horrible jokes, farting, and general silliness that comes with the delirium of being exhausted from a hard day. Slowly, the team and spectators tapered off as it got further and further into the morning hours, until only a handful of us remained. We got it running, albeit with extremely high idle, and set out to figure out why. While one of the Rez guys was adjusting the TPS by loosening the screws and tapping it with a screwdriver as it ran, the engine abruptly stalled and would not restart. Panic mode. We checked everything. Resistance check cam sensors: Good. Spark? Nope. Injector impulses? Nope. Fuel pressure? Nope. Power to the ECU? Yes. After way too much time looking for a problem, I found it. Someone did a lovely job splicing the wiring harness where it comes from under the intake manifold up to the coil pack, and the electrical tape was no longer insulating the solder joints from each other. It is 4:30am and I gave them the bad news. Fried ECU. After putting things back together, and disappointed that after all that work we couldn't get Rob's car back on the road, I stumbled back to the condo and passed out for ~3 hours before waking up for day 2.

Day 2 was held somewhere that I can't remember in New Hampshire about an hour away from Newry. A lot more cars got wrecked or broke down, and a lot of teams packed up and headed off to spectate. Sadly Fabio wrecked his car and was not able to finish the race, but he had fun doing it. Another uneventful day in our service tent, as all that was required was a bolt check and slight tightening of locknuts on the front struts. The pistons were a bit loose but still serviceable. The second time I went out for gas for Dan's car, my rear passenger drum started locking up under light braking. Long story short, I should have maintained my brakes better, but the temporary solution was to cut the brake line, clamp it shut with vise grips for the ride down the mountain and back to Newry, then weld it shut at the condo so I could get home to Delaware and fix it properly.

After the last service of the day, we packed up everything and headed to greet Dan at the end of the last stage. From there, it was the long and tiring ride back to the condo. After this, Chris informed me that my brake lights were not working anymore. Tail lights lit up, blinkers and 4 ways worked, but they did not light up when braking. God drat stoplight switch. We headed back to the awards ceremony, then back to the condo and got stupidly drunk while making bad jokes and playing a drinking game involving a drift trike and a water bottle slalom in the condo parking lot. A great end to a great rally.

Part 2 is the journey home, I'll write it up tomorrow evening.

Bonus picture of Wes after getting kicked in the nuts by the guy on the right.

iForge fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 22, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks for the profile pic!

Good write-up. Aside from a suspicious lack of mention of your new favorite rally team, very accurate depiction of events!

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Thanks for the profile pic!

Good write-up. Aside from a suspicious lack of mention of your new favorite rally team, very accurate depiction of events!

hahaha I completely forgot about that! I'll put it in part 2

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Every time I see those names on the rally car I get a laugh. A and D Fuckit

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Great write up John and thank you for all your hard work.

Photographer posted his pics today, so my writeup will be done tonight.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Slow is Fast posted:

Great write up John and thank you for all your hard work.

Photographer posted his pics today, so my writeup will be done tonight.

Thank you Dan! It was awesome coming up to crew for you and I am grateful for the opportunity! I can't thank you enough for a great weekend.

Now, an addendum to my previous post. I forgot to mention that sometime in between figuring out that I had braking issues and the end of the day, I parked the jeep on one side of another rally crew's area since they were packing up and I thought would be leaving soon. I got distracted, fell asleep for a little while, and woke up to see that they were still there and moved it immediately. I don't remember who noticed it, but I was asked why I had a Nick Roberts sticker on the truck and not a SiF Motorsports one. They could have towed me out of there or worse but they were good sports about it and all they did was put their sticker on my truck. It is there to stay.

The journey home.

Sunday morning came and it was time to go meet up with Kastein (Ken) to help strip parts off a moose damaged Subaru Justy. Wes and I got up way too early, said our goodbyes, and hit the road. My brakes were not 100% but manageable and we headed for Allenstown, NH to meet Ken at the seller's house. The seller had some affinity for grafting Justy parts with motorcycles and he purchased this car for the purpose of cutting the back end off for his second Justycycle build. Having no use for the rest of the car, it was all for sale. Instead of pulling literally every part off what remained of the car, Ken and the seller agreed on a price and we took the whole thing minus radiator, radio, and alternator. Ken cut the remainder of the car into two pieces and we loaded the front end into Wes' MJ and the rest into mine. Having no crane or hoist, we had to get creative but we did it. The Justy was loaded and we headed for Massachusetts.

We got to Ken's house with no issue, other than dodging idiot drivers. We did get a LOT of strange looks and horn honks on the trip as you could imagine. His neighbors were less than impressed to see more car parts arriving. We decided that it was too hot and went to the local Chinese buffet to eat and cool off before unloading the car parts. With the parts unloaded, Ken started going around his yard and slinging random Jeep parts into both of our trucks. After hanging around and talking a while longer, it was time to hit the road and head for home.

I had some braking issues on the way to Ken's and almost rear ended Wes' MJ at one point, and figured out that I only had one front wheel braking. This meant that I had the front right and back left wheels with brakes. I could still stop fine with a bit of planning, but I'd be screwed in a panic stop. It was late Sunday at this point and there would be no parts stores open. We pressed on, and I drove from Connecticut to Delaware with my 4 ways on, allowing a huge amount of room in front of me at all times. Certainly not the right thing to do, but I wanted to get home.

Connecticut had bad traffic and Wes overheated again. There was no air in the system but his electric fan was not coming on. We changed routes and found a road with less traffic and kept going. New York traffic was congested and extremely stressful knowing that I did not have good brakes, but with a lot of cussing at people tailgating me and cutting me off, we made it through. The drive down the New Jersey Turnpike was easy but we were both beyond exhausted. We said our goodbyes by phone when my exit was nearing as Wes wanted to press on. I stopped for gas in South Jersey before heading for the bridge to Pennsylvania and ultimately home. It was 1:00am when I got home, having left Maine about 18 hours previous. It was a trip that I will never forget, and hope to make again next year. With less cooling system problems and less brake problems. Thank you again Dan for an awesome weekend.

Le Dump:

The seller's Justycycle project.

Waiting for Wes to back up his truck.

Loaded.

Hellaflush

Wes lost a leg.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

what the gently caress you dumb fucks had way more fun than i did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Man, you NEAI guys get up to some antics. Looks like an awesome weekend.

• Locked thread