Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oh man I can only imagine how exhausted ya were after all those miles limping a truck with issues. Overheating and no brakes, the way of the Comanche!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
One thing I forgot to add to my post:

Behold, a video of Kastein cutting the Justy in half!
https://vimeo.com/134251545

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

iForge posted:

One thing I forgot to add to my post:

Behold, a video of Kastein cutting the Justy in half!

Typical Ken, angry look at the underpowered tool.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Not enough swearing and things being thrown awkardly

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BRB, moving to New England.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

There is something so satisfying about cutting a car up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This should be Ken's new av.

My son saw this pic and was all :aaa:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Minor update. Went down to Richmond, VA to hang out with Adiabatic, Terriblerobot, and a couple other goons and Terriblerobot and I hit a junkyard before meeting up with everyone else. I scored a headliner for the MJ in great shape, sun visors in great shape, an electric radiator fan for Adiabatic, and some other things that will have to wait to be revealed.

We found this Legacy that had been underwater for quite some time :barf:

But MJ update, I finally have a headliner and sun visors that don't look like they belong in the junkyard. I had a really hard time taking pictures due to the sun, so sorry about the image quality.

Before picture:

After picture:

Old visors: :barf:

One thing Kastein might be able to tell me... I used the existing plastic anchors for the new end clips and the visors don't match up. When I replaced the one on the dodge, the hinge bar slid in and out but these don't seem to do that. Are my factory holes off center or am I just doing it wrong? Had a really hard time getting a picture of it so I had to do some photoshop fuckery.

iForge fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 19, 2015

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Horse Divorce posted:

I remember you posting this, remarking that the PS pump cap needed fixing double quick.

9.5 months later, I finally found a cap in the junkyard that will work. I don't know if these have a habit of falling off or something, but they were missing on every jeep I looked at until this weekend when I found 3.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

iForge posted:

One thing Kastein might be able to tell me... I used the existing plastic anchors for the new end clips and the visors don't match up. When I replaced the one on the dodge, the hinge bar slid in and out but these don't seem to do that. Are my factory holes off center or am I just doing it wrong? Had a really hard time getting a picture of it so I had to do some photoshop fuckery.

I am honestly not sure. I've had a hell of a time getting any sort of visors other than the ones that came with a truck to line up with anything but the headliner that came with a truck. It seems they changed stuff over the years, like I was saying one time I put a headliner and visor clips in and the original visors from the truck were like 3 inches too short to reach them. So basically I have no idea.

Interior/trim options and year splits and such are really, really not my strong point.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Wasn't some of the poo poo a parts bin raid? Like an Oh gently caress we just ran out of poo poo during this production run, just go find something and make it work?

I know Chrysler was awful about doing dumb poo poo like that.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Thread update time! Time to build a limited slip Dana 44.

One of my new years resolutions is to get this drat axle built that I've been talking about since I got the truck, so it is time. It came in pieces but everything is there despite a scare with missing carrier bearing caps. I bought all the bearings and shims and whatnot several months ago and made no more progress. I live in an apartment now and it is my first time living somewhere without a garage or even a driveway so I carried it into my apartment to build it here. It is completely degreased but the rest of the parts are not, so they will have to wait to come in.

I have never done one, so I will learn as I go.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Built my first rear end last year. I'm sure there are tons of guides for Danas out there, so read up as much as you can first.

Take your time, check your work, and make sure you're well prepared before you start. I wouldn't call the process 'hard', but it's not easy. Good luck man. You got this.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Jeep update:

Slowly pressing forward. I finally have a decent place to work on vehicles again, courtesy of a goonfriend (absentmindedwelder) who rents some shop space about 45 mins away from me. The past few weekends have been working through the hangover trying to get some bodywork done. I forgot to take pictures of certain steps, but here is what I have. I was using a Lincoln HD125 that I bought on craigslist that had lovely HF wire in it for the wheel well. I switched to good quality flux core wire for the floor pans and the welds came out so much nicer.

Wire wheeled the lovely bondo out of the rust hole in the drivers rear wheel well:

Marked and cut out the rusty metal. I had to cut it back a bit farther than the rust holes to find metal thick enough to weld to:

First patch panel boogered in:

Heavy first coat of fiberglass bondo. I had never worked with the fiberglass stuff before, it is supposed to be stronger than the regular stuff, but its a pain to get smooth with a spreader. All it needs is final sanding now, but this is the last picture I have for now

While that was curing, I set up to fix a hole in the tailgate. I missed a few pictures but you get the idea:

Next up is the passenger floor. After wire wheeling it, I found a lot of pinholes so I cut out more metal than it looks like I needed to.

18ga patches welded in and seam sealer spread on top and bottom. I didn't bother smoothing out the hammer marks on the curved piece because it will never be seen once I put down the sound deadening mat.

To end the day, I installed these spot lights that I bought a few weeks ago. Still need to aim them, but they look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You're doing a ton of work to this little bastard. Nice job all around.

• Locked thread