Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This means you have the resources to take on the remaining Chinese factions, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Kavak posted:

So how far are we gonna push this, until we run out of conquest objectives? I'm enjoying the batshit nature of this campaign, but I miss the in-game documents and storyline of the CSA run.

I haven't finished the game yet but I am getting close to where I think its natural end would be. Thinking maybe fifteen updates in total though that might get condensed more because I'll cut down on the detail of minor wars because there's nothing interesting to say about me stomping out weak nations. I'd rather save the updates for bigger more interesting wars. Another motivator is that I could use a break from the more creative writing. December is a busy month and I don't want the quality of updates to suffer because I'm trying to finish it quickly.

Grizzwold posted:

Wow, I have NEVER seen the soviets do that well in the Russian civil war. Did nobody help the Whites?

No, I think they got abandoned pretty much. I have been leaving out foreign stuff so that this doesn't end up being super long.

paragon1 posted:

This means you have the resources to take on the remaining Chinese factions, right?

Yes, but as you'd expect from Kaiserreich, things don't exactly go to plan.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

I haven't finished the game yet but I am getting close to where I think its natural end would be. Thinking maybe fifteen updates in total though that might get condensed more because I'll cut down on the detail of minor wars because there's nothing interesting to say about me stomping out weak nations. I'd rather save the updates for bigger more interesting wars. Another motivator is that I could use a break from the more creative writing. December is a busy month and I don't want the quality of updates to suffer because I'm trying to finish it quickly.

Sounds good, I understand wanting to avoid burnout and especially being busy.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Plus I don't know nearly enough about Mongolia or Asia in general to write anything interesting. How much could I possibly come up with about crazy Sternberg and horses?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Kavak posted:

So how far are we gonna push this, until we run out of conquest objectives? I'm enjoying the batshit nature of this campaign, but I miss the in-game documents and storyline of the CSA run.

Do not listen to this man, continue leading the mad baron to victory over the entire world.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013
Just wanted to say I'm greatly enjoying the LP. Got me to give Darkest Hour another try and I'm having fun. After a failed attempt as the American Tyrant I had a semi successful (screw you CSA for conquering Tunisia before me :argh:) run as the Italian Federation that really highlighted how little I know about the naval side of things in this game. I'll be looking forward to seeing how you handle that in future updates so I can get a better idea for my own games.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Do you get cores on all that land as the Mongolian Empire? If not what is your TC hovering at, it has to be terrible.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

rakovsky maybe posted:

Do you get cores on all that land as the Mongolian Empire? If not what is your TC hovering at, it has to be terrible.

Nope, there are a few events that will give me cores on parts of Southern Siberia but for the most part no cores. Right around here it started to go significantly over TC.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Strayed posted:

Just wanted to say I'm greatly enjoying the LP. Got me to give Darkest Hour another try and I'm having fun. After a failed attempt as the American Tyrant I had a semi successful (screw you CSA for conquering Tunisia before me :argh:) run as the Italian Federation that really highlighted how little I know about the naval side of things in this game. I'll be looking forward to seeing how you handle that in future updates so I can get a better idea for my own games.

Navy in DH is really simple if you want to cheese it so you can be done with it.

Do you have lots of IC and time? Build 15 CV and 15 DD with torpedoes. Will destroy loving everything. At least I think that's how the carrier deathfleet went.

Not a lot of IC and time? Build 30 subs with torpedoes. Actually, build about 270 of them. Will wreck most stuff and is much cheaper to replace, so you can just throw deathstack after deathstack at the enemy and blockade them entirely.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Navy in DH is really simple if you want to cheese it so you can be done with it.

Do you have lots of IC and time? Build 15 CV and 15 DD with torpedoes. Will destroy loving everything. At least I think that's how the carrier deathfleet went.

Not a lot of IC and time? Build 30 subs with torpedoes. Actually, build about 270 of them. Will wreck most stuff and is much cheaper to replace, so you can just throw deathstack after deathstack at the enemy and blockade them entirely.

I don't think DDs with torpedoes are really useful, since the carriers gently caress up any surface ship before the DDs can even dream about coming in range. I'd rather fit them with ASW.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

TheMcD posted:

Do that even if you have a lot of IC and build even more subs. Nothing kills a nation's navy better than several deathstacks of subs interdicting the seazones in front of their ports. e: Or instead of building even more subs, build even more other stuff.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 15, 2014

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I thought it was heavy cruisers with torpedoes you were supposed to spam. I recall reading in one of the threads around here that they're immune to subs for some reason and can slaughter just about everything else.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Grizzwold posted:

I thought it was heavy cruisers with torpedoes you were supposed to spam. I recall reading in one of the threads around here that they're immune to subs for some reason and can slaughter just about everything else.

30 CAs are fine against a lot of enemy fleets but you're hosed if they have CVs.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

build superheavy battleships.

do it. DO IT!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Well as far as Mongolia goes...

CSA I will probably use submarines for immediate need because carriers take absolutely forever to build, though I would like those in the long run.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 16, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Wait, Mongolia doesn't even start off with Russo-Japanese naval tech?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Wait, Mongolia doesn't even start off with Russo-Japanese naval tech?

Mongolians haven't given a toss about naval theory since Kublai Khan wanted to add Japan to the empire.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

Mongolians haven't given a toss about naval theory since Kublai Khan wanted to add Japan to the empire.

The Mongols have fine craft for sailing upon the grass sea.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

Related: an end goal of this Mongolia LP is to annex Japan.

Completion not guaranteed.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Chief Savage Man posted:

Related: an end goal of this Mongolia LP is to annex Japan.

Completion not guaranteed.

Future update title: And Then We Built IC For Five Years

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Chief Savage Man posted:

CSA I will probably use submarines for immediate need because carriers take absolutely forever to build, though I would like those in the long run.

Personally I modded back in vanilla ship construction times. The longer times to train land divisions are just kinda annoying but it's pretty absurd that it takes three and a half years to build a carrier even with the shortened construction time research during the height of WWII.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Since the Mad Baron gets an event chain to be Ghengis Khan why is there no event chain for the American Tyrant to be Julius Ceasar?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Because gently caress Douglas MacArthur forever, that's why.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Besides, as this LP is showing, von Ungern-Sternberg actually is Genghis Khan reborn.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Communist Zombie posted:

Since the Mad Baron gets an event chain to be Ghengis Khan why is there no event chain for the American Tyrant to be Julius Ceasar?

Isn't there? I thought MacArthur had the option to be an American Caesar if he wins the war.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah there is literally an event option for him to say "MacArthur... sounds like a good name for a dictator!"

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Is there any option to try and preserve the American democracy or are things too far gone?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

AdventFalls posted:

Is there any option to try and preserve the American democracy or are things too far gone?

Yes, in Mongolia land, the election goes forward, Reed wins, MacArthur eventually coups, the war plays out, MacArthur wins, and now I am seeing democratic elections with MacArthur running as a Republican. I think the war itself is inevitable but even if MacArthur acts like a tyrant, it's possible for a restoration of democracy.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Yes, in Mongolia land, the election goes forward, Reed wins, MacArthur eventually coups, the war plays out, MacArthur wins, and now I am seeing democratic elections with MacArthur running as a Republican. I think the war itself is inevitable but even if MacArthur acts like a tyrant, it's possible for a restoration of democracy.

I was wondering about that, too! Obviously the CSA is the superior option, but given how totally hosed the USA seems in Kaiserreich I was wondering if something that even vaguely resembled OTL USA could emerge.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chief Savage Man posted:

It is technically possible to avoid the war, but it is an oversight. If you elect Long and stay moderate on his reforms, the war just never triggers.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rincewind posted:

I was wondering about that, too! Obviously the CSA is the superior option, but given how totally hosed the USA seems in Kaiserreich I was wondering if something that even vaguely resembled OTL USA could emerge.

I know that MacArthur can decide to restore democracy to the US, but I couldn't remember if there was an option to make him a dictator instead.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I know that MacArthur can decide to restore democracy to the US, but I couldn't remember if there was an option to make him a dictator instead.

There is. A principled USA player can restore it to being a proper democracy, but the country can end up as a National Populist military-police state just as easily depending on the choices the player makes.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Speaking of a moderate Huey Long, what are the American Union State's options if they win the war? I know the ministers are largely German-American Bund and Business Plot people, but is it possible to dial back the fascism?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

RZApublican posted:

Speaking of a moderate Huey Long, what are the American Union State's options if they win the war? I know the ministers are largely German-American Bund and Business Plot people, but is it possible to dial back the fascism?

Yeah, but you have to stomp out a coup. According to one guy a few months ago (May have actually been Chief), choosing those options dislodges Huey Long from government and breaks the event chains. I have the sinking feeling he may have been the first person to win the war as the AUS and see those events as they were intended.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kavak posted:

Yeah, but you have to stomp out a coup. According to one guy a few months ago (May have actually been Chief), choosing those options dislodges Huey Long from government and breaks the event chains.

IIRC, when I played I stomped out the coup and stayed relatively moderate as the American Union State, while keeping Long in the government.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What are all of the different results of the civil war and its aftermath?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Rincewind posted:

In the bigger picture, there's really not that much difference - sometimes there's no further conflict, sometimes a war with the Entente over New England/PSA, sometimes the winner allies with the Entente/Internationale/Mitteleuropa (?). As for the internal things, there can be no coexistence between USA/CSA/AUS - one will stand in the end. If PSA/NE still exists, all will attempt to reunite, taking war if necessary. Only USA will maybe leave those two alone, and I think only Democratic USA will do it. For the end result of the USA/CSA/AUS conflict, there's basically USA Democrat, USA Dictator, CSA RadSoc, CSA Syndie, CSA Totalist, AUS Conservative and AUS NatSoc, though most can be a bit more fluid with events making slider moves and such.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rincewind posted:

A multitude, it's probably best to list them by country:

USA
  • If the war started with either a democrat or republican president leading the USA, they will still be leading it when the war ends, though the initial republican guy will die at some point if the war goes on too long. Elections resume as normal after the war.
  • If elections were suspended prior to the war, MacArthur is running the show, and can choose to remain dictator after the US wins or transition the country back to democracy, wherein he starts as president with elections to resume on schedule. MacArthur can also rise to power in the US if Long or Reed win the 1936 election, push their respective policies too hard, and resist when MacArthur leads the army to unseat them.
  • Whichever path the US takes, after they win the war they have to contend with reuniting with New England, reuniting with California, and trying to get Puerto Rico, Guantanamo Bay, and the Panama Canal back from the Entente.
    CSA
  • The CSA has a similar election system to Britain, France, and Southern Italy, which means your choices of government range from social democrat to totalist.
  • If the event fires where the CSA and the AUS ally out of desperation, you have to deal with them after the US if gone, which means more war.
  • In addition to the usual deciding what to do with New England and California, the CSA also has an event that allows them to declare war on Mexico if Mexico isn't syndicalist.
    AUS
  • The AUS faces a coup that can put Fritz Kuhn and the other hardcore fascists in power, which the player can either let happen or stop. If stopped, and with more moderate choices in other events, the AUS can end up as kind of a way, way more right-wingish populist version of the US than the outright dictatorship it starts as.
  • As always, the usual stuff about trying to get New England and California back.
    California
  • If California survives the war, it can be a military dictatorship or just another democracy in terms of government.
  • In terms of foreign policy, California can throw in it's lot with the Entente, Germany, or get on good terms with the US as a puppet state.
  • Uniquely among the American factions, California has claims on two Mexican provinces, and can go to war over them.
  • In the event California conquers the entire country, there is a reconstruction event for other areas of the country. It's all very unfinished though, so there will probably be more in a future version of the game.
    New England
  • New England can choose to throw in their lot and ally with the US, which aside from being attacked if one of the other factions goes to war with Canada, is the only way they usually end up fighting in the civil war.
  • Most of the factions want New England back, but New England can choose to remain independent, in which case they will stay that way, but unfortunately there are not many events for them.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I aways thought it be funny if the CSA post 1952 could be headed by this guy as a hardliner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Part Four: October 1937-April 1939
Research updates have been removed for brevity. Mongolia is focusing on cavalry tech, mobility doctrines, logistics and industry projects.

The war against Siberia had been an enormous success but hostilities were ongoing with Russia. The Whites had a narrow band of territory between the Mongols and Reds still under their control, as well as a shrinking power base around Tsaritsyn.

The Russians were attempting to flee the Reds and find supplies in newly Mongol territories. This was not acceptable and the fighting continued as the Mongols pushed the Whites out of what had been Siberia proper.

The Russian troops were using older equipment than what the Siberians had fielded. Less than a thousand men of what had been a ten thousand strong division remained, evidence that the Russian Civil War had been terribly bloody and starvation was taking hold.

The first contact between the Reds and Mongols occurred near Berezniki. The Reds had been riling up their men with promises of spreading Bolshevism all the way to the Pacific, and so the presence of Mongol invaders was deeply resented. The exhausted troops were in no condition to bring the fight against the Mongols and the Khan also ordered his men not to engage Reds. Managing the expanse of Siberia would be enough trouble for right now without expanding even further into Russia. And so, a tense peace reigned along the new border.

The Khan had one remaining goal. The resource-rich city of Chelyabinsk was still in White hands and its productive mines ought to be kept out of Red hands.

The speedy Mongol cavalry secured the city before the ragged Red infantry, along with areas to the north and south. The Khan looked upon a map of the area and pronounced that the advance would stop. He liked the border where it was.

Besides, the new territories were restive and partisan attacks were taking a large toll on the infrastructure. A garrison was already in place in Omsk but there would need to be many more.

Developments in the east demanded the Khan's attention. The German and Qing Empires had agreed to allow the AOG territories of southern China to be fully incorporated into the empire, making the Qing a very large foe.

Luckily, the Qing were busy dealing with their new territories and Pu Yi did not follow through with a plan to attack Mongolia.

This was likely due to rapidly increasing tensions between the Qing and Japanese over Manchuria. It turned out to be a prescient decision by Pu Yi as the Japanese launched a massive surprise attack on China and German possessions in Asia. An alliance was signed between the Qing and German Empires, and so plans for an attack on Qing were shelved for the time being.

The White Russians were losing control of their last territories and they elected to recognize Mongol gains in the Urals.

The end of the Siberian war freed up the hordes for another operation that required the utmost speed. The newly enlarged Qing Empire was obviously planning on absorbing the warlord territories in Yunnan province. The Khan decided to attack in order to keep the Qing from having even more power.

The terrain was rough, mountains and jungles but the Yunnan Clique was not expecting an attack by Mongolia. Their forces were arrayed to defend against the Qing and so the back door was left wide open, so to speak.

The cavalry aimed to penetrate deep into the territory and capture the important cities of the region, rather than get bogged down in battles of attrition in such horrid terrain.

The Khan himself took control over the northern sector, swatting aside the outdated infantry of the warlords easily.

A supporting unit moved south in the direction of Chengdu, the hope was to create a pocket in the north to destroy enemy forces. The Yunnan unwittedly assisted this plan by moving into the undefended Mongol city of Lanzhou, which could be easily cut off.

The southern sector was not going as smoothly. An attack into the jungles near Burma was coming up against heavy resistance.

The supporting unit took on an ambitious task, driving towards the city of Chongqing and creating a larger pocket than just the far north of the clique's territory.

While Yunnan resistance was making the capture of the border areas difficult, another unit was able to move towards Kunming with no resistance.

The enemy forces that had captured Lanzhou were encircled and destroyed, as expected.

This victory was marred by the news that a unit in Tibet was forced into a long retreat into undeveloped Tibet. It was a significant delay at a time when none could be afforded.

The terrain was rough, with the exception of a small plain around Chengdu. Good progress had been made, but cracking the nut of resistance in the jungles near Burma would be very difficult.

Perhaps the Mongols had tried to do too much too fast.

The southern sector attempted to relieve the north by cutting off their supply lines.

The Khan had redeployed to the south and decided to attempt to beat back the Yunnanese attack into Tibet.

The encircled unit in the north saw an opening to potentially escape as very large amounts of enemies massed to their north and west.

They didn't, and thirty thousand starving Mongol horsemen surrendered when faced with resistance. The Khan was furious.

But not as furious as he was when Qing troops began moving into Yunnan territories. The Qing had offered the Yunnan warlords powers and protection from the Mongols in exchange for turning over all the territory the Mongols had not captured. The Mongols could advance no further without attacking the entire Qing empire. Once again, Pu Yi and the Khan were at the precipice of war, and once again, both blinked, extending the tense peace indefinitely.

The Khan made up for this disappointment by granting settlement rights to all of his troops in the area around Lake Baikal and renaming the area "Far Outer Mongolia".

Nothing satisfied the Khan quite like bloodshed and so his personal horde went on an expedition south towards the Himalayas. Nepal had benefited quite handsomely from the Indian troubles, and their territories were rich and well populated. More horsemen would be needed if Qing was to be taken on.

The horde made an arduous trek through the Himalayas through Lalung-La pass, surprising the Nepalis who were sure that the Mongol hordes couldn't make it through the tallest mountains in the world. They were completely unprepared and were swept out of Kathmandu with ease.

As the Khan marched towards Kathmandu, news arrived that the long tense situation between the Kazakhs and fundamentalists had boiled over. Central Asia was in turmoil, and Mongolia was in a prime position to benefit.

The Khan offered Nepal a similar deal as he had the Tibetans, and they accepted.

The Bhutanese were also easily convinced of the benefits of vassalage to the Khan.

As the Khan marched through the Himalayan kingdoms, the rest of the hordes began to prepare for an operation in Alash Orda. When the Khan arrived, the operation commenced. Alash Orda was the first on the chopping block.

One horde was tasked with racing towards the important city of Astrakhan. The Reds and Cossacks ought to be kept away from it at all costs.

The Kazakh capital was relatively close to the Mongol border and would be easy to capture.

Minor resistance materialized on the road to Astrakhan.

After the capital was taken, it was necessary to evict Alash Orda from Tashkent, which they had captured from the Turkestanis.

This task was complicated when the city was encircled, meaning that the Khan would need to fight Turkic forces to make it to the city.

Speed was of the essence, as the Reds had finally finished the Whites.

A point was made to secure Astrakhan before the Reds decided to move in.

Indeed, the rhetoric of the Reds had not changed. Their territorial goals were massive, from Germany to Manchuria, including Outer Mongolia itself. War was certainly coming and the Central Asian conflict had to end soon.

The Cossacks capitulated without a fight to the Bolsheviks. The Khan had contemplated a possible quick strike into the territory through Astrakhan in order to establish a power base on the Red's southern flank. It was not to be.

The Mongols assaulted their way towards Tashkent, making no distinction between Turkic or Kazakh unit. All of Central Asia would belong to Mongolia, as it once had.

Tashkent was the main goal and Bukhara beyond was also important, as the Turkic center of power.

The Turkic forces were an odd array of mountain troops, horsemen and footsoldiers. They were exhausted from fighting the Kazakhs and so the well rested experienced and modern Mongol cavalry overwhelmed them with ease.

The northern unit was also involved, moving south towards Lake Ural.

The Mongols sped towards their objectives, as news came in of the Totalist state in Georgia electing to join with the Soviet Union.

Tashkent fell to the Turkmen and the Kazakhs surrendered to the Mongols.

Turkestan had gained some unimportant territory from the Kazakhs from this deal. It was no matter, it would all be Mongol soon enough.

Tashkent and Bukhara were the objectives.

The assault was blindingly quick across the steppes, so quick that it got cut off.

The first attempt on Bukhara from the south was pushed back by a counterattack from the southwest.

The Turkmen secured the ancient city of Samarkand once again.

A new attempt was made from the north. There were no defenses and the terrain lent itself to cavalry.

The city fell. Central Asia belonged to the Khan.