Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Looking forward to this. Is this just going to be a USA > CSA game, or do you plan to show off other nations down the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Interesting that you went after AUS first - usually in the AI's hands they tend to crack down on the syndies. I like the political backstabbing spin it puts on MacArthur's motives.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Guess Mexico's gonna get a taste of the revolution sooner rather than later. Can't let that slide.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Very interesting result! Mexico practically owes it to themselves to join the Entente at this point...

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Rincewind posted:

Also, I've only ever seen KR in LP-form since I don't have DH, but I assume that in KR-world all of these huge global wars aren't also paired with vicious industrialized genocide, which makes it rather less dark than our own history right off the bat.

I feel like a lot of that is sorta sanitized simply cause you're playing a game, at the end of the day. There's precious little reference to the holocaust in Hearts of Iron (and I am definitely not pushing for there to be,) and I imagine the same might kinda hold true for KR - atrocities simply happen behind the screen of game mechanics and events. It would take a storyteller, in a format like this, to really flesh that sort of thing out - and honestly, who would want to think up their own alternate history genocide, or a slew of monarchist purges in French occupied Germany, political death squads marching around second Civil War era United States wiping out whole towns who don't agree with them...

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 5, 2015

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

There actually are events in KR for atrocities and the like, from anti-semitic violence in French North Africa to various 'Terror' events for factions that have civil wars. There's an event chain for the Dominican Republic massacring Haitians, and the aforementioned concentration camps in Mittelafrika. But no holocaust.

HOI2 and vanilla Darkest Hour certainly gloss over the atrocities (except for the Rape of Nanking) in the interest of making the game as much about the nitty-gritty of fighting the war as possible, but KR doesn't take the same approach in general.

Ah, I stand corrected, then. Unfortunately.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Niclas, eh? That's a rare result. What's going on with Britain, anyway?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Damocles project? I might've missed this if it was talked about earlier. I'd have to assume nuclear weapons, right?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

Yeah those racist imperialist monarchies sure are the good guys when set against the modernising leftists, good analysis.

Well, they can be modernizing leftists. They can also be hideously oppressive Stalinist (RE: totalist) dictatorships run by secret police and state paranoia, which would certainly make them a lot less appetizing as good guys. This is, again, the thing about Kaiserreich - anyone can be the "good guy," anyone can be the "bad guy," or neither, or both, etc, in our historically biased democratic-leaning perspective on things.

I agree though that it's a little skewed to automatically chalk up the communist stand-ins as bad guys.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

This could be from any one of the AARs I've seen with custom events, but I think North Italy, Carlist Spain, and Ireland have the potential to form a Catholic League. Am I wrong, Kavak?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Yeah, and none of those countries are exactly heavy weights. I can see them as being an attractive ally to the Entente or Mitteleuropa, though. Sorta like a package deal.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Pretty sure the guy just declares himself "Napoleon the whateverth."

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

If it were the main game I'd agree with re-declaring war, but this is just an intermission, and a hilarious turn of events, at that.

(but seriously yeah that should be fixed)

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Saw this happen in an AAR, actually - I think the PSA gets the chance to re-declare the United States. Not sure what other options there may be.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Great to see this return. I keep sorta hoping for something to come along that the CSA can't handle, though. I hate it when games become steamrolls.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Look, are there gonna be boats or not? Jesus.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

The Crown Atomic is pretty much the gold standard of Canadian LPs, so I'd prefer to see something non-Canadian (or Entente, for that matter.) Let's go Japan. :japan:

That, or a Mitteleuropa aligned Australasia.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Changing my vote to Carlist Spain. For maximum Catholicism.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Loeb CL posted:

Thanks! You were 100% correct!

If anyone's curious, here's what happens:

Once Goering is out, you choose between Ernst Jünger, the German author, and Joseph Kasa-Vubu. If you choose the latter, you can then choose between aligning with the syndicalists, staying in the German sphere of influence, or isolationism.

Regardless of your choice, the country is renamed Centroafrika. The flag is the red-black-green Pan-African flag with a red star in the middle of the middle (black) stripe. The HoS is Joseph Kasa-Vubu and the HoG is Patrice Lumumba. (Incidentally, the chief of the army is Mobutu, despite being six years old in 1936.)

If anyone wants to play this through, start as Mittelafrika and enter event 55605 into the console. It's pretty cool that even after hundreds of hours of playing, Kaiserreich still manages to surprise with things I've never seen before!

While we're on this subject, that exact event chain cropped up, incidentally, in a pretty good CSA AAR on the Paradox forums. They broke up into Bantu Federation, Benikongo, and Namibia. Most, I think, promptly joined the Internationale.

I'll reiterate that the AAR is pretty well written, depicting the SACW as a messy, traumatic affair filled with bloodthirsty militias roving the country, not dissimilar to the Spanish Civil War OTL.

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 27, 2016

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

B, A.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Honest ABE.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

A
BAC

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

BB

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

ABC, and join the Entente when possible.

No compromises with enemies of democracy. You should all be ashamed!

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Obviously yes.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

One of the more realistic results I've ever seen for Lawrence's coup - of course, maybe I shouldn't speak too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

That sounds worthy of an AAR itself!