Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Earlier this week, GOG and LucasArts/Disney teamed up and released a great batch of games to buy on GOG.com. Included in that batch are two great games. X-Wing and TIE Fighter. For those who are not familiar with them, they are flight sims set in the Star Wars universe. They are critically acclaimed and many publications rank TIE Fighter as one of the best PC games EVER. They are ten bucks a pop but worth it. X-Wing is available on GOG in both the original floppy version containing the base game and both expansion packs, Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing, and the Collectors Series edition which is the same game but ported to the X-Wing VS TIE Fighter engine. This is a Windows game. It's up to you which one you want to play.

TIE Fighter is a slightly different story. GOG released the 1994 edition of TIE Fighter which contains the base game plus the first expansion pack, Defenders of the Empire. THIS IS NOT THE COLLECTOR'S EDITION CD-ROM. It does not have the second expansion, enhanced resolution, and full voice-overs. GOG also released the Collector's Series which like the X-Wing counterpart is the same game but ported to the XVT engine. This DOES contain the second add-on Enemies of the Empire. If you want to play the complete game, this is the one you'll want.

The games:

X-Wing

X-Wing was released in 1993. In this you are a rebel pilot who joins their ranks just a few months prior to the Battle of Yavin. You join in the Battle of Yavin. The expansion packs released later, Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing take you right up to when the Rebels set up base on the ice planet Hoth.

Playable craft:

X-Wing

-Average speed
-4 lasers
-Torpedoes
This iconic ship is your bread and butter of the game. It can do a bit of everything.

Y-Wing

-Slow
-2 lasers, 2 ion cannons
-Torpedoes
You'll use this one when taking on capital ships and missions where you have to disable stuff. It's slow speed makes it not ideal for dogfighting. It can take a good bit of damage too.

A-Wing

-Fast
-2 lasers
-Concussion missiles
The A-Wing is used for recon missions and it can hold its own in a dogfight. It is not idea for taking on capital ships. It's also made of glass so be careful.

B-Wing

-Average speed
-3 lasers, 3 ion cannons
-Torpedoes
The B-Wing effectively replaces the Y-Wing for disabling ships and taking on capital ships. It's a bit faster than the Y-Wing so it's a little better at dogfighting.

TIE Fighter

Released in 1994, this sequel takes place right after the Battle of Hoth. However, you now take on the role of an Imperial Navy pilot! The game and add-on packs Defenders of the Empire, and Enemies of the Empire, take you right up to before the Battle of Endor. It also features fan favorite Thrawn and at one point you fly wingman for Darth Vader himself. As mentioned, this game is amazing and rated as one of the best PC games ever.

Playable Craft:

TIE Fighter

-Decent speed
-2 lasers
-No shields
-May be equipped with warheads
The TIE Fighter is the first ship you use and also the weakest. It's fast, but not too tough. Great for dogfighting but don't go up against any capital ships

TIE Interceptor

-Fast
-4 lasers
-No shields
-May be equipped with warheads
Basically an improved version of the TIE Fighter, it's faster with more firepower.

TIE Bomber

-Slow
-2 lasers
-No shields
-Always comes with warheads
It's slow and not that great in a dogfight. It's best for taking on capital ships. No shields though, so keep your distance.

Assault Gunboat

-Decent speed
-2 lasers, 2 ion cannons
-Warheads
-Shields
This is a very versatile craft and you'll use it for a variety of missions.

TIE Advanced

-Fast
-4 lasers
-Warheads
-Shields
Now we're cooking with gas. This bad boy is fast and packs a punch. It's great at dogfighting and since it has shields and warheads you can take on capital ships too.

TIE Defender

-loving FAST
-4 lasers, 2 ion cannons
-Warheads
-Shields
Holy gently caress this ship is a one man death machine. This thing dominates in dogfighting and you can engage (and disable) bigger ships. Seriously this thing is like a pilot's wet dream

Missile Boat

-Decent speed
-1 laser
-Two pairs of warheads. (One advanced concussion missiles, one your choice)
-Shields
-SLAM (Doubles your speed at the cost of laser energy)
This thing is a hoot to pilot. The advanced concussion missiles, along with tractor beam, let you just blow up fighters all fuckin day. The other bank can be used for whatever you want. Load that puppy up with rockets or bombs, and you can take on several capital ships.

For those playing for the first time (either game) do the flight and combat training available so you can learn how to play. Read the manuals, and consult the keyboard reference card.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Man oh man I wish they had made a mission designer for Tie Fighter :(

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I've played a bit of X-Wing 98 with a Logitech G350 controller and its worked great so far. Game owns, space combat sims own.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
For people who didn't have these back in the day, do they hold up without nostalgia specs on? My go to space fighter sim is Freespace 2, so I'm concerned that these may feel too much of a step back from that.

Also, which of the two would be recommended?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Austen Tassletine posted:

For people who didn't have these back in the day, do they hold up without nostalgia specs on? My go to space fighter sim is Freespace 2, so I'm concerned that these may feel too much of a step back from that.

Also, which of the two would be recommended?

Definitely TIE Fighter. But it will probably feel a bit primitive compared to Freespace 2.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
If you're only getting one, get Tie Fighter. I think they hold up just fine compared to FS2, especially if you're a fan of the Star Wars universe, but they also play a bit differently/more simply.

....and beaten.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Tie Bomber is actually more maneuverable than an X-wing, though slower. You still wouldn't want to try dogfighting in one though (that laser placement goddamn)

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

RentACop posted:

The Tie Bomber is actually more maneuverable than an X-wing, though slower. You still wouldn't want to try dogfighting in one though (that laser placement goddamn)

I really liked the missions that forced you to use a Bomber in an Interceptor role -- I think it was defending Thrawn's inspection of a new outpost. It was challenging, but not to the level of being impossible or frustrating.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
The main thing tie fighter is missing is some kind of counter-measures against missiles. Dodging missiles, even if you can do it consistently, is annoying as hell. You'll spend half your mission time in the later mission flying in tight circles

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Tie Fighter made me skip classes for two straight weeks when it was released back in loving 1994. 20 years! :silent:

It's one of the best games ever. Buy it, people. Now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Excuse me but I think you'll find A-Wings are actually the best at taking out capital ships :v:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Now, I know they aren't on GoG, but XvT (At least BoP) and Alliance are still great games and worth your time.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Definitely TIE Fighter. But it will probably feel a bit primitive compared to Freespace 2.

It's simpler, but I think it's the better game, at least mechanically. Freespace had a power system, but it was nowhere near as integral or interesting to work around, and that system really made the Xwing series sing. Freespace is a lot more straightforward point and shoot space brawler, it's great, but in my eyes the guns feel a bit piddly. Freespace has the better mission design by far though, and it's atmospherics, even now, are fantastic.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 30, 2014

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Has anyone had any luck getting a controller or mouse to work in the 1998 tie fighter version? I managed to get it to boot past the you need a joystick stage by using vJoy to emulate my 360 gamepad as a joystick, but i havent been able to work out how to rebind controls so the control scheme is assinine, im getting a fancy joystick sometime next week but i want to play now :(.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Kibayasu posted:

Excuse me but I think you'll find A-Wings are actually the best at taking out capital ships :v:

they sure are friend, they sure are :cool:

Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*

A real highlight of TIE Fighter is its soundtrack, which reinforces the game's overarching theme of morally ambiguous military protectionism through a rearrangement of the Imperial March motif into a bombastic Red Army-esque anthem to martial heroism. There's a terrific update that converts the MIDI to modern music technology on Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/laserschwert/sets/tie

The Secret Order Briefing is a favourite of mine, which, over the course of only one hundred and six seconds, transitions seamlessly from militaristic marching tempo to Sith male voice choir to quiet harp punctuations and solo violin. It's really quite lovely:
https://soundcloud.com/laserschwert/tie-fighter-secret-order?in=laserschwert/sets/tie

Let's get anime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU

Gutrot fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 30, 2014

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Tried playing this for a bit but reconfiguring my gamepad was a real problem. It's been so long since I played this, I can't really remember what the important buttons are. :( The clunkiness of the config screen didn't help...

Any suggestions for a button layout? PS3 controller.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

TIE Defender

This ships is basically when you were a kid and you were drawing Star Wars dogfights with your friends and invented your own ship that was described as "my ship has missles sheilds flies super fast kills everything and no one can beat me because it's the best and I'm the best and star wars is awesome darth vader".

Then your friend came back with

Jose Oquendo posted:

Missile Boat

And said "my ship has a tractor beam and all kinds of missles and goes even faster than your ship and will kill you because it does"

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
So if I have a budget of $100 and want the best joystick possible to play these games on, and eventually want to use it on my Mac, what joystick should I buy?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Anything? Tie Fighter's control scheme aside from movement and shooting is really quite keyboard based. I'm using a 18 year old Sidewinder Precision Pro to play mine.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Tie fighter is the best star wars game and one of the best games of all time. bought it and had a quick run through the obstacle course to try and remember the controls and then the first mission where I got one shotted by a shuttle. tried again and completed all the mission goals and managed to blow myself up in the explosion of the last shuttle. good times.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which version of TIE Fighter (if any) has the cool iMuse music rather than the not as good CD version?

I beat the original DOS version on hard using keyboard+mouse, I was an idiot as a teenager.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Sakurazuka posted:

Which version of TIE Fighter (if any) has the cool iMuse music rather than the not as good CD version?

Only the early versions of both XW and TF have iMuse. The later editions use John loving Williams samples on loop.

And yeah, you have to look out for wreckage when you're dogfighting--which is a nice touch compared to some other sims that explode things into vapor. BWings especially love to turn into shrapnel grenades when blown up.

What really sucks (its actually kinda cool) is how random the explosion is. It can just blow up into nothing, fall apart, or hurl a fuselage bit RIGHT AT YOU.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 30, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Megadyptes posted:

Tie fighter is the best star wars game and one of the best games of all time. bought it and had a quick run through the obstacle course to try and remember the controls and then the first mission where I got one shotted by a shuttle. tried again and completed all the mission goals and managed to blow myself up in the explosion of the last shuttle. good times.

Yes always remember to put some space between you and the ship you're about to blow up (especially when in an unshielded ship).

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
"Gamma 1 is the Emperor's stool pigeon!"

Best mission, best game, TIE Fighter stole my free time for months and months on end.

micpp
Jul 21, 2007
One shall stand, one shall fall
There's a patch available at http://www.savingcontent.com/2014/0...flight-stick/7/ that fixes up the music in the CD version of TIE Fighter a bit... unfortunately it doesn't do the interactive iMuse things but it does put an approximation of the original music during the combat sequences instead of just stuff out of the films.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

micpp posted:

There's a patch available at http://www.savingcontent.com/2014/0...flight-stick/7/ that fixes up the music in the CD version of TIE Fighter a bit... unfortunately it doesn't do the interactive iMuse things but it does put an approximation of the original music during the combat sequences instead of just stuff out of the films.

Someone really needs to do this for X-Wing because goddamn

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Wtf, how come this hasn't been posted yet?

http://lparchive.org/Tie-Fighter/Update%201/

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

For the greater glory of the Empire, DESTROY EVERYTHING

Man so happy these got a re-release. Still have my TIE Fighter disc and X-Wing floppies somewhere but never could be arsed to gently caress around and get them to work. Well that and I don't have a floppy drive anymore.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Bubbacub posted:

Wtf, how come this hasn't been posted yet?

http://lparchive.org/Tie-Fighter/Update%201/

:toxx: if they ever make tie fighter 2, i'll do another LP :toxx:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
My only problem is, I no longer have a Joystick :smith:

Everyone of those things pulled to the right, it was a pain in the rear end.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Asked this in the GOG thread and never got a definitive answer; is there any way to make a throttle rig actually control your speed directly? The game recognized my throttle just fine, but it only slides between 0/25/50/75/100 states rather than smoothly up and down. I know there's a keyboard command to increment speed a point at a time, but I'd like to get it working all through the HOTAS.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm surprised they haven't tried a remake/reboot/sequel to this series in a long time, considering how amazing it could look with today's graphics. I suspect one is coming down the pipe now, hopefully.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Asked this in the GOG thread and never got a definitive answer; is there any way to make a throttle rig actually control your speed directly? The game recognized my throttle just fine, but it only slides between 0/25/50/75/100 states rather than smoothly up and down. I know there's a keyboard command to increment speed a point at a time, but I'd like to get it working all through the HOTAS.

Barely an answer, but with a 360 controller, holding B down while pulling up/pushing down on the left stick does pretty much this. So it's possible, I guess?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cross-Section posted:

Barely an answer, but with a 360 controller, holding B down while pulling up/pushing down on the left stick does pretty much this. So it's possible, I guess?

What does that map to in-game? If there's some kind of toggle that switches an axis to be mapped directly to throttle, I should be able to kludge something together that will work.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

So, RE: Tie Fighter

What's the difference between the 1994 and 1998 versions? I know about the iMuse soundtrack thing, but what else?

Sazabi_Master
Sep 14, 2014

I came here to laugh at you.
Man, this was definitely one of my favorite games back in the day, I highly recommend it to anyone who's into sci-fi/flight simulators and lookin for something retro. I even remember turning the lights off to set the mood :hehe:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I remember doing that back in the day and it getting easier and easier as the framerate improved on our 386dx as I blew up each ship. Y-wing was the superior killer of Star Destroyers though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hungry Bit posted:

So, RE: Tie Fighter

What's the difference between the 1994 and 1998 versions? I know about the iMuse soundtrack thing, but what else?

Graphics (your ships are actually textured; rebel squadrons like Blue One will actually be blue), voiceovers for briefings and the like, a whole 'nother set of campaigns (which brings the total up to either 13 or 14) to play through.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
For when XWA comes out, here is a guide to make it look cool and work with more modern hardware including joysticks.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/16/xwing-alliance-upgrade/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ericthegreat
Mar 13, 2004
BRING IT ON
Anyone on Windows 10? I see the exe running in task manager but the program never spawns a window.

• Locked thread