Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Nebalebadingdong posted:

He's an old man, maybe he wasn't yet aware he'd been captured :v:

"Where are we going?"

"Just get in the car spaceship, Grandpa!"

Edit: Where's my co-marketing deal with Saitek / Logitech / Thrustmaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sure Palps can throw lightning around, but he couldn't do poo poo to stop Lando and Wedge from destroying the Death Star. It would have gone kaboom regardlss of how much torture and scenery chewing he did. I can totally buy him being vulnerable on a pleasure liner.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
That's the SECOND rescue-Prelude to Endor. The first(The final mission of the first game) he's been snatched by Zaarin from Coruscant and he's on one of a bunch of Assault Transports, you need to find him, disable it before they hyper out, and keep it safe until friendlies capture it(As the enemy is perfectly willing to kill it if they can't have him).

As to how? Pick your reasoning-overwhelmed, insulated armour, whatever. Though how the Imperial Royal Guard slipped up that badly is a bigger question, especially if you consider they're all meant to be utter bad asses. How they got past the fleets kept at Coruscant is another.

Still, it's a fine capstone to your career at that point. You flew with Vader and Saved The Empire!

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 31, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

when I was a kid I remember one year (this was like 1998 or something) for Christmas my parents bought a two volume Lucasarts collection for my older brother, sister and myself. In this package came Dark Forces, Full Throttle, The Dig, Afterlife, both Rebel Assaults, that Behind the Magic Star Wars CD, Monkey Island 1 & 2 (with Curse demo), a big demo CD that had demos for things like Indiana Jones and XvT but most importantly it had the demo for Outlaws. All of these were included but the diamond of the collection was the TIE Fighter Collector's CD :allears:

It wasn't until I was older that I learned how old TIE Fighter was but man was that game sooooooo much fun. The thing that really sucks about this is that my brother took all of those games at one point about 8 years ago and most of the games have disappeared :(

I mean, I'm not shook up about the loss of The Dig since I never actually got very far in that game, or Full Throttle because I beat that game so many times that I can remember it still but I will always miss TIE Fighter. See I wasn't very good when we first got it, mainly because I was still like 8 years old at the time so flight sims were kind of difficult and not too long afterwards we got a new computer that had issues running the game. Because it was still the DOS version we had to install it juuuust right on our new Win98 computer or it would just give us a nice STACK OVERLOAD message everytime we would fire it up, that and if we did get it running it was usually my brother's turn so I would just watch him play. I guess what I am trying to say is that if the version that I grew up with is not what is available for purchase right now, I will gladly sit back and wait for that one to come along.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
You must be misremembering because I got that same collection and it does not have Tie Fighter. That was the volume before or after that one.

Still an excellent collection though.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Still, it's a fine capstone to your career at that point. You flew with Vader and Saved The Empire!

"We expect word of our victory at Endor soon!" Poor debriefing officer.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Especially after all the work you did to set it up.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I do wonder if the release of these two games might give us a new one. It has to be selling shitloads and the successes of EVE Online and Star Citizen (lol) prove that there is a valid market for space shooter sims. The fact that Disneys gaming division almost immediately signed on for releasing the older stuff after the buy out shows that they think differently than Lucasarts.
Now I just need Alliance. While Tie is certainly the better game I still prefere XWA for the proper story. Also it's so much prettier and you can roll without holding down a button. :v:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Bloodly posted:

That's the SECOND rescue-Prelude to Endor. The first(The final mission of the first game) he's been snatched by Zaarin from Coruscant and he's on one of a bunch of Assault Transports, you need to find him, disable it before they hyper out, and keep it safe until friendlies capture it(As the enemy is perfectly willing to kill it if they can't have him).

As to how? Pick your reasoning-overwhelmed, insulated armour, whatever. Though how the Imperial Royal Guard slipped up that badly is a bigger question, especially if you consider they're all meant to be utter bad asses. How they got past the fleets kept at Coruscant is another.

I'm sure that the Emperor was scheming something up that involved a complex plan and probably Mara Jade. He was only PRETENDING to be captured.

That or he forgot his space Metamucil that day and they caught him with his pants down

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lodin posted:

I do wonder if the release of these two games might give us a new one. It has to be selling shitloads and the successes of EVE Online and Star Citizen (lol) prove that there is a valid market for space shooter sims. The fact that Disneys gaming division almost immediately signed on for releasing the older stuff after the buy out shows that they think differently than Lucasarts.
Now I just need Alliance. While Tie is certainly the better game I still prefere XWA for the proper story. Also it's so much prettier and you can roll without holding down a button. :v:

There was a Star Wars space sim in the work that got canned before it really got anywhere. Admittedly it was a MP only joint and primarily PvP, but that still doesn't exactly bode well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Anyone else play TIE Fighter as a child before ever hearing of Star Wars or even knowing what it is? Weird experience to see the movies years later and realize you were playing the bad guy all along.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Orv posted:

There was a Star Wars space sim in the work that got canned before it really got anywhere. Admittedly it was a MP only joint and primarily PvP, but that still doesn't exactly bode well.

It was loving terrible, I was in the beta.

You played the galactic starfighter mode in TOR? Like that, but significantly worse.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Space sims all went to being sand box games for some reason. I dunno if anything good came out after the Freespace 2.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ShineDog posted:

It was loving terrible, I was in the beta.

You played the galactic starfighter mode in TOR? Like that, but significantly worse.

That's a damning comparison if ever I've heard one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
This re-release makes me wonder if Rebel Assault will ever get released.

I know it's not a great game, (I'm pretty sure over half the missions are "fly into the super-structure/interior of this big ship/space station/factory to destroy it a la Return of the Jedi"*) but I had fun playing it because it was the first game I ever played on CD-ROM.

We had an old, crummy, Gateway 2000 when I was a kid. a 3x86, 4 MB of RAM, and ran Windows 3.0 (yeah, 3.0...not even good enough for 3.1.)

It could run the floppy versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter...barely. One day, my brother bought Rebel Assault, not knowing it was a CD-ROM game.

So it sat on our shelves for literally YEARS before we could finally play it. It was 1996/1997. That old crummy desktop was still around, but my parents bought a computer for my brother when he went off to college, so when he came home on winter break, I could finally play that drat game, as well as all those other cool games he had (that's also when I learned about emulation and was in absolute shock and awe that there were actual Nintendo games right there on his computer.)

FTR, I was still using that same old Gateway computer in 1999/2000 when I was a senior in high school. By this point, it no longer even had Windows 3.0 (an accidental format of the C: drive by myself...), and the printer had long since broke so I couldn't even use it to type/print out stuff for school, but it ran Dos 5.0 (maybe only 4.0?) and I only used it for playing old games I downloaded from abandonware sites from my high school's computers.

*Edit: Actually, that may have been more Rebel Assault II...that's the one with the absurd "stealth TIE", right?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 31, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Rebel Assault was a pretty big deal when it was released for PC, so I could see it being released by GOG.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Rebel Assault was a pretty big deal when it was released for PC, so I could see it being released by GOG.

I could never get past the third level in that game, no matter how hard I tried.

Personally, I'd hope if they do release it, they just package it with RA II and call it a day. I wouldn't mind paying ten bucks for them together, but sure as poo poo wouldn't buy them for ten each.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I could never get past the third level in that game, no matter how hard I tried.

Personally, I'd hope if they do release it, they just package it with RA II and call it a day. I wouldn't mind paying ten bucks for them together, but sure as poo poo wouldn't buy them for ten each.

I played Rebel Assault II first and man did I love it. I hope they're both in the next batch.

choobs fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 31, 2014

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to an x wing vs TIE fighter re-release in the hopes of some multiplayer dogfight action the likes of which I haven't seen since 56k modems were hot poo poo.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
From what I recall when setting up X-Wing Alliance with a wired 360 controller there is a bit more flexibility with assigning the axes (whereas Tie Fighter only recognizes 1 specific set of flight and throttle axes)

On the driver side of things I use BetterDS3 and made the left and right flights of the right stick into buttons, as well as all the shoulder buttons. Then back and forth on the right stick are a manual throttle, while you can assign full/zero/match throttle hot keys.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Can't seem to find an answer on GoG or any other site, maybe you guys can help. I'm running Windows 8 (unfortunately) and every time I launch the game, it runs perfectly except that my desktop flashes in and out. It's extremely prevalent on the menus, and happens every so often while in the actual game. Also, is there a way to run the game at a higher resolution/in a window? Really looking forward to playing these again, X-Wing was my favorite as a kid even though TIE is objectively better in almost every way.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Is anyone able to confirm that X-wing comes with the CD collectors version and not the disk version? The OP and a few people here say that it is the CD version, but on the GOG forums people are saying it's only the disk version.

Unlike most of, all of my nostalgia is reserved solely for X-wing. I probably played that game more than any other as a kid, breaking more than one joystick along the way. I never bothered picking up TIE Fighter, though, as I didn't have any interest in playing as the bad guys and I didn't realize it was a sequel that had a number of improvements over X-wing until years later.

I'll probably get them both to finally experience TIE Fighter for myself, but I really want to relive some of my memories flying for the rebels first.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

GoldenNugget posted:

You must be misremembering because I got that same collection and it does not have Tie Fighter. That was the volume before or after that one.

Still an excellent collection though.

Well like I said we got two collections, the adventure game one and then I guess a more Star Wars oriented one since I believe that was the collection with the Behind the Magic tour CD and the Rebel Assaults.

Shame X-Wing wasn't really mentioned in the collections, but then again quite a FEW Lucasarts games I didn't learn about till I was in high school, like Sam and Max Hit the Road, IJ and Fate of Atlantis and X-Wing :v:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

davecrazy posted:

The 360 gamepad works right out of the box.

Ohmygod ohmygod YES!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hannibal Smith posted:

Is anyone able to confirm that X-wing comes with the CD collectors version and not the disk version? The OP and a few people here say that it is the CD version, but on the GOG forums people are saying it's only the disk version.
It comes with the original floppy version and the version from the 98 collection that uses XWvT graphics and crap music. It does not have the original CD version.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Lodin posted:

It comes with the original floppy version and the version from the 98 collection that uses XWvT graphics and crap music. It does not have the original CD version.

I just bought X-Wing and found this. I updated the OP to reflect that.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I can't wait for GOG to rerelease Starwars Rebellion so once i have captured all the systems except the alliance base planet again, i can go around the galaxy with my three death stars just destroying all the planets except Coruscant and watch the "insufficient maintenance penalty" randomly destroy one of the 2000 droids inside death stars at the insane speed of ONE random unit per day*. Worst un-modded starwars game ever but so close to be a decent game.

*well, sometime the computer get lucky and randomly destroy one death star.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 31, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Toplowtech posted:

I can't wait for GOG to rerelease Starwars Rebellion so once i have captured all the systems except the alliance base planet again, i can go around the galaxy with my three death stars just destroying all the planets except Coruscant and watch the "insufficient maintenance penalty" randomly destroy one of the 2000 droids inside death stars at the insane speed of ONE random unit per day*. Worst un-modded starwars game ever but so close to be a decent game.

*well, sometime the computer get lucky and randomly destroy one death star.

Ah, Rebellion...so fun to play multiplayer until someone figures out how overpowered commandos are, and then it becomes a lesson in scorched-earth combat.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I still have my Rebellion disc around here somewhere, not that it'd be worth the hassle to get it running.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

OAquinas posted:

Ah, Rebellion...so fun to play multiplayer until someone figures out how overpowered commandos are, and then it becomes a lesson in scorched-earth combat.
Well, how else would you blew up those dual planetary shields and be able to bombard planets with 6+ stormtroopers/calamari troopers. Rebellion was basically "Turtling the game".

I am still convinced that the game was rushed to release, with the unmodded game having stuff like all-randomized hero stats going from 0(poo poo) to 100(godlike) regardless of the character (and you can end up with an army of totally useless heroes, that's always fun), the force being a random roll for each recruited hero and the total unbalance in term of recruitment with the empire being poo poo at recruiting because Vader is the only recruiter on the darkside and Palpatine is only good to sit on coruscant to give the galactic wide fleet commander bonus, mysteriously unable to recruit heroes or even train new discovered dark jedis. And with the tech research heroes being found like all the normal hero you can basically spend 200+ in-game days recruiting before having your first research hero while mon mothma and luke could be super lucky and recruit all their research heroes in 50 days.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 31, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

There are a couple of more-or-less indie space sim shooters out there in development, one even with a pseudo-2D engine. Plus one or two *really* well-made mods for OpenFreespace. But no, the indie/kickstarter/steam golden age has sadly not yet revived the sleeping beauty that is this genre :smithicide:

Star Wars Rebellion was totally rad, hilariously buggy (gently caress if I could ever figure out how to use the tacked on "3D" combat engine properly) and with plenty of unbalanced poo poo that never got fixed. But oh man, oozing with theme and cool poo poo.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

Star Wars Rebellion was totally rad, hilariously buggy (gently caress if I could ever figure out how to use the tacked on "3D" combat engine properly) and with plenty of unbalanced poo poo that never got fixed. But oh man, oozing with theme and cool poo poo.
And the most insanely fugly characters art of the whole franchise in what plays basically like a paradox style game. Yes captain uglyshanololookalike i will send your force-sensitive rear end to spy on coruscant with 20+ bothans in diversion mode.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

Well, how else would you blew up those dual planetary shields and be able to bombard planets with 6+ stormtroopers/calamari troopers. Rebellion was basically "Turtling the game".

I am still convinced that the game was rushed to release, with the unmodded game having stuff like all-randomized hero stats going from 0(poo poo) to 100(godlike) regardless of the character (and you can end up with an army of totally useless heroes, that's always fun), the force being a random roll for each recruited hero and the total unbalance in term of recruitment with the empire being poo poo at recruiting because Vader is the only recruiter on the darkside and Palpatine is only good to sit on coruscant to give the galactic wide fleet commander bonus, mysteriously unable to recruit heroes or even train new discovered dark jedis. And with the tech research heroes being found like all the normal hero you can basically spend 200+ in-game days recruiting before having your first research hero while mon mothma and luke could be super lucky and recruit all their research heroes in 50 days.

I really wanted to love Rebellion but gave up on it early because it was so poorly executed. Awesome idea and I totally pre-ordered it but just couldn't deal with the bullshit. Was there ever a mod community out that tried to fix the game?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Rhandhali posted:

I really wanted to love Rebellion but gave up on it early because it was so poorly executed. Awesome idea and I totally pre-ordered it but just couldn't deal with the bullshit. Was there ever a mod community out that tried to fix the game?
The mod community created a hero, troops and spaceship editor. So you could basically fix balance problems like "the emperor can't recruit or train force sensitive" by opening the editor and changing his options in two clicks or stuff like "i recruited a diplomatic oriented character and he starts at 5 diplomacy" by editing all the files of the characters to be "40 minimum in the character obvious favorite skill" instead of having random number between 0 and 40 for all characters in all skills. So no more "i got a 5 combat 3 infiltration 3 diplomacy 0 leadership hero!".
You could also basically replace all the characters with heroes from the EU if you wanted to. Couldn't add more characters to the hero limit sadly. And you couldn't add more events like the Luke and Leia ones.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The hardcoded hero limit is such a bullshit thing too, programmers :argh:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Atomizer posted:

You jelly? :smugdog:

I still remember picking up a shareware/demo of TIE Fighter that I probably played a dozen times. It was a modified version of a mission from the main game. You had to cover an Escort Carrier that was unloading TIE Advanced fighters, Tour 2 Mission 5. Is it sad that I remember that after 20 years?

Most of my games are on Steam now, but I kept the original copies of all the cool poo poo like that: all the Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series, Planescape Torment, Fallout series, Deus Ex, Freespace series, Unreal series, original Half-Life with expansion, Homeworld, the entire C&C series including expansions, Jagged Alliance 2, System Shock 2, Mechwarrior 2-4 with expansions, Doom series, the entire Warcraft series.... I still remember going out to buy some of those games. Hey guys, remember expansion packs? :unsmith: Our first PC was a Packard Bell 50 MHz 486DX with I think 2 MB RAM (later upgraded) and a 400 MB HDD. Ah, those were the days....

Anyways, I've pondered getting rid of those old games, especially since getting them to run can be almost impossible. I do have old hardware and a box full of Voodoo 3-5 PCI & AGP cards though.

And yes, that is the recalled Red Alert 2 box with the 9/11 cover art. :911:

Getting back on topic, I still remember playing through TIE Fighter. I think it took me at least 3 months, playing after school. I never could get into X-Wing; it just felt so primitive having played TF first. I played some of the XvT stuff, but it felt kind of slapped together. I didn't get far in X-Wing Alliance; way back in the day I was really into flight and space sims (anyone remember Strike Commander?) but by the late 90s I was getting into FPSs, RTS games, and RPGs like Fallout. And now I play World of Tanks.... :smithicide:

I have all those games (not the boxes), and I had a Packard Bell 50MHz 486SX with 4MB of RAM :smug: I had the special demo floppy. Before you could play the game, you had to sit through an ad screen for a Dodge Neon. I played XvT on MSN Gaming Zone. Too bad there's no replacement for that. I could never get X-Wing Alliance working on my computer by the time I got that. Maybe in VMware these days or something.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I do remember Rebellion being previewed in Star Wars Insider (which was actually a magazine on shelves amazingly) along with Jedi Knight and (hah!) the Masters of Teras Kasi.

I also remember in the manual for Rebellion they had Han Solo get captured by bounty hunters. I never, at any point, had him get captured by them successfully. He always killed them. Rebellion was really criminally easy once you knew what to do.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man, I played Tie Fighter when I was like 10 or something. The Assault Gunboat was forever in my mind as the raddest thing around, and I always lamented it not showing up in any other Starwars game I played.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I genuinely did not like the Assault Gunboat. Not a great fighter or something to assault cap ships despite having shields and ion cannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

I also remember in the manual for Rebellion they had Han Solo get captured by bounty hunters. I never, at any point, had him get captured by them successfully. He always killed them. Rebellion was really criminally easy once you knew what to do.
Yeah, there is also a line in the manual about not being able to find "Han, Leia, Chewie and Luke if they are at Jabba's Palace". I guess it was cut.

• Locked thread