Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Civilization: Beyond Earth has made me crave strategy games again. Beyond Earth was fun for a few hours, but games just take forever. I have pets to feed, dishes to wash, meals to cook, homework to do, friends to do poo poo with, etc.... and a game on 'Quick' takes like a full fuckin' day. that is loving crazy bananas to me

This seems to be a problem with a lot of turn-based strategy, they are just so slow and plodding, and I'm wanting something more bite-sized that I haven't played before. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

advance wars

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Valkyria Chronicles never took me very long and lol if you can't break FFT or any of its iterations (without 1.3 of course) in half easily.

Devil Survivor is all right as well on the 3ds.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

protip: the PSP version is slow as gently caress, fair warning op

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Endorph posted:

advance wars

played that already

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

have you played all of them

a lot of people skipped days of ruin

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Endorph posted:

protip: the PSP version is slow as gently caress, fair warning op

you can fix this pretty easily now

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

i'd like to add another parameter to consider, not required but: are there any quick turn-based strategy games that feature unit production (during a game)?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Dexters Secret posted:

Civilization: Beyond Earth has made me crave strategy games again. Beyond Earth was fun for a few hours, but games just take forever. I have pets to feed, dishes to wash, meals to cook, homework to do, friends to do poo poo with, etc.... and a game on 'Quick' takes like a full fuckin' day. that is loving crazy bananas to me

This seems to be a problem with a lot of turn-based strategy, they are just so slow and plodding, and I'm wanting something more bite-sized that I haven't played before. Any suggestions?

Maybe gaming isn't for you.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Devil Survivor OVERCLOCKED is very fast and streamlined because you have so few units. Some real rear end strategy to be had in that game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

Devil Survivor OVERCLOCKED is very fast and streamlined because you have so few units. Some real rear end strategy to be had in that game.

it's also extremely good.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Pike and Shot

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
heroes of might and magic

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fellis posted:

heroes of might and magic

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
i'm playing homm 3 right now, and i suck at it because i don't know how much "a lot" or "a pack" is and how strong monsters are

I might need to read a manual jesus christ

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

also they buffed the poo poo out of necromancer units and they are all the enemies in the campaign im playing

*exhales slowly through teeth like im about to say gently caress but don't*

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fellis posted:

also they buffed the poo poo out of necromancer units and they are all the enemies in the campaign im playing

*exhales slowly through teeth like im about to say gently caress but don't*

Curse the poo poo out of them; they all have low base damage unless they hosed that one up

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Here's a hint: Dragons are strong but skeletons are weak.

A lot is more than a pack

You can take on any monsters as long as you believe in yourself

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

The ones that were loving me up were Vampire Lords, because when they do damage they regen and can gain troops back from that and I lost the DPS race because the enemy spellcaster had blind and i couldn't dispel it fast enough.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

i take it heroes of might and magic 3 is the best one?

Dec 26, 2012

Fellis posted:

i'm playing homm 3 right now, and i suck at it because i don't know how much "a lot" or "a pack" is and how strong monsters are

do it, the homm3 manual is actually very useful and good

Dexters Secret posted:

i take it heroes of might and magic 3 is the best one?

yeah

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

the game is kind of fugly lookin'.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Dexters Secret posted:

it is best viewed through a haze of nostalgia

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
turn based games were made for slow people who want to take a long time doing things like thinking of every move

they are not quick

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Third World Reggin posted:

turn based games were made for slow people who want to take a long time doing things like thinking of every move

lol, i hear ya man, chess grandmasters are fuckin slow baby retards

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Aston posted:

How about NO!! People that claim old games are good because of "nostalgia" are noobs!!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sir AIDS posted:

How about NO!! People that claim old games are good because of "nostalgia" are noobs!!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

It is good without, but better when it transports you back to a time when your heart was still filled with wonder at the world

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

"Homm 3 is ugly" is not a statement I thought I would ever hear or read in my time on this earth.

Also you could try Disciples 2, op.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 31, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aston posted:

It is good without, but better when it transports you back to a time when your heart was still filled with wonder at the world
Uh, I'm a gamer. My heart is always filled with wonder, idiot.

Dec 26, 2012

Aston posted:

you will find it is best viewed with your eyes, on your screen

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
why would you play that gay rear end homm poo poo when you can play this

pikes and guns, what else do you need

Dec 26, 2012

that does look cool as hell

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
unity of command is pretty fun and also quick
ace patrol

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 31, 2014

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Fellis posted:

It's been a while since I placed but there's a skill that lets you better estimate how many units a dude has in his army.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Makai wars was nis's best game

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Dexters Secret posted:

I definitely like the drawn visual style of 2 more but i understand they were trying to be next-gen 3d models and the game is really good

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I also recommend conquest of.elysium 3

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Casual console peasant: the movie: the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
More tactics than strategy, but Frozen Synapse is pretty fun and quick to play.

• Locked thread