Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Thanatosian posted:

I think my word was probably most secure, Strong Mouse's a close second.

Yours is just like a name, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Also Hal, submitting your word in the list wasn't quite as effective as you suspected, though I can't take credit for the catch.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Just so I can see where we at

Votecount for Day 4

MildManeredManikin (3): winvirus, Power of Pecota, winvirus, merk, winvirus
winvirus (2): MildManeredManikin, Rarity
merk (2): Thanatosian, Thanatosian, Thanatosian, ActingPower, Rarity, Rarity
EXAKT Science (1): ActingPower, ActingPower, winvirus, Strong Mouse, Power of Pecota, Rarity, Rarity, winvirus, Power of Pecota
Thanatosian (0): merk, winvirus, Power of Pecota, winvirus, Power of Pecota, merk
Power of Pecota (0): MildManeredManikin, Thanatosian, ActingPower, EXAKT Science, Thanatosian, ActingPower, EXAKT Science, MildManeredManikin

Not Voting (2): EXAKT Science, Hal Incandenza

There are 10 living players. The elimination is based on a plurality vote!

The current deadline is November 13th, 2014 at 9 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 hour, 9 minutes.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Power of Pecota posted:

Yours is just like a name, right?

As far as I know, yeah.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

As far as I know, yeah.

You still think merk was the biggest threat? After MMM's admitted to have been sitting on 13 for awhile now?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well, as a man of my word, let me declare my loyalty now: ##vote winvirus

Nothing personal, but I really have next-to-nothing to go on on who I think is closest order-wise. And since it's either you or MMM... Well, sorry, bro.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

winvirus posted:

You still think merk was the biggest threat? After MMM's admitted to have been sitting on 13 for awhile now?
Now that I know that? No, merk was probably not the biggest threat. You were right on that, but you weren't exactly pushing MMM as the threat until the very last.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
STOP THE GAME

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
THE WINNER OF CODEBREAKER, ON DAY 4...

IS THANATOSIAN!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to Thanatosian on his victory in the game!

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Oh, fucker.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

MMM :mad: I had the solution already.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

winvirus posted:

MMM :mad: I had the solution already.

no you didn't :twisted:

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I just needed day 5 to roll around....ughufhgubghufhhh

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Poque posted:

no you didn't :twisted:

Wait, my preload was wrong?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

By the way, my guess today before MMM's nuclear option, I had 13 correct words, 10 correctly placed. For anyone who cares.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Well played Thanatos, you deserve it after that bailout last night.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

winvirus posted:

Wait, my preload was wrong?

Yuuuuup.

The correct code:

code:
KATYDID
SHUCKLE
SCAPULA
VERTIGO
TANGENT
KENDALL
RHOMBUS
NEPTUNE
TRIDENT
GLASGOW
ARCHERY
ARSENIC
AXOLOTL

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

WELP I SCREWED THIS ONE I have so much egg on my face

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
If we had made it to tonight, I was going to say that since somebody had gotten to 13 words and the point isn't "who can be here at noon tomorrow the fastest", that people could preload their Day 5 guess. Those guesses would then simultaneously/instantly parse as D5 started and there could possibly be multiple winners. To prevent a mass-claim during the night, I would've closed the thread.

But it didn't come down to it!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Most representative moments of this game for me:
- Trying to trade ActingPower winvirus' word, ActingPower submitted winvirus and already traded
- Spending 2 guesses trying to isolate KATYDID and after getting it down to Instill/Katydid Rarity telling me her word's Katydid as our first communication of the day.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah, I was way behind. Playing sneaky really didn't work here.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I am cool because I picked KATYDID out of the list of the guessed words immediately and when Hal gave his list to merk I picked out TRIDENT immediately

So I am glad I had all words in mostly right positions on d4 after only talking to four people. Well see ya

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Katydid was a random guess. Good game all.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

merk posted:

I thought you were bluffing on that since you were connected to Rarity on D2! drat.

Like it blew me away that people thought the game was going to be about guessing the words at first, the game was theoretically entirely about placement.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

I wonder how things would have played out if you hadn't guessed it

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I had 12 words and 11 positions before MMM posted his list (drat you, merk!). It was a coinflip.

I bribed THE gently caress out of EXAKT Science. He was going to pick up the torch if I went down (i.e. I was going to full info dump to him if it looked like I was going down).

I needed the extra guesses and extra vote to stay alive, I figured there was a very good chance I would go down, so it seemed like a good-on-all-sides deal. Offered ActingPower something similar, too. I was not expecting it to end today.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Poque posted:

I thought you were bluffing on that since you were connected to Rarity on D2! drat.

Like it blew me away that people thought the game was going to be about guessing the words at first, the game was theoretically entirely about placement.

I love the graphical representation of today's pity party between Rarity and me~

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Merk, Winvirus, PoP: no hard feelings, I hope? That was hella fun.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Power of Pecota posted:

I love the graphical representation of today's pity party between Rarity and me~

Why did you choose to talk to me? I didn't realise you'd done that.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Of course not! Well played, man :)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Things I loved:

Nevermore revealed his placement on D1 and I saw it right away and I wasn't sure if anybody else did.
winvirus traded it to stay alive, since people were possibly voting for him, and that was a smart move.
Three people guessed "CHICAGO" on D1 so I probably talk about the city way too much.
Nobody seemed to notice that somebody had a "within one" placement for day 1, which was ActingPower misplacing his own word.
EVERYBODY KEPT GUESSING "SALVOES" AND I DIDN'T GET IT

I'd love to hear what people thought worked and didn't work about the setup and the game itself. I have a lot of ways I could modify it for future runs:
  • Players pick their own codes
  • Nobody knows their own segment's placement
  • Line of communication on D1 / No OOT communication at all
  • Number of guesses per day increases as the game goes on
  • Reveal the lowest number of each pice of info each day
  • Give a histogram of correctly placed words each day
  • Identify people who don't make a guess
  • Reveal a player's best guess (numbers, not actual guess) when they are eliminated

Things like that.

I loved how Day 1 went because it really was just throwing you all in there. It was a bit of a social experiment, knowing that the remainder of the days would have information to gather and potential alliances made.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Thanatosian posted:

Story of my mafia career: being right about who to lynch for days and people not doing it.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Poque posted:

THE WINNER OF CODEBREAKER, ON DAY 4...

IS THANATOSIAN!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to Thanatosian on his victory in the game!

Well done, very well done.

I wrote URANUS in the doc.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Also I was thinking about the elimination being based not on votes, but on performance with the guesses, but I haven't really played around with that enough to know how it'd go. It'd be kind of like The Mole, and people would probably be a lot more stingy with their word since there isn't the threat of being eliminated by the others.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Thanatosian posted:

I had 12 words and 11 positions before MMM posted his list (drat you, merk!). It was a coinflip.

I bribed THE gently caress out of EXAKT Science. He was going to pick up the torch if I went down (i.e. I was going to full info dump to him if it looked like I was going down).

I needed the extra guesses and extra vote to stay alive, I figured there was a very good chance I would go down, so it seemed like a good-on-all-sides deal. Offered ActingPower something similar, too. I was not expecting it to end today.

Yeah, I was perfectly happy to do it. I honestly wasn't playing to win at all. It was way more fun to watch the wheeling and dealing happening in-thread, and conspiring with Than the last two days was fun as heck. Seriously, well done, mate :hfive:

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Well, fun game! Glad to be a part of it. Back to obscurity for me! *vanishes*

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Nope, well played~

Rarity posted:

Why did you choose to talk to me? I didn't realise you'd done that.

ActingPower said he didn't get your word from you and Somber just got booted, I assumed you were playing a similar game to what I was doing and we'd be able to team up. Then it ended up I already had your word and we couldn't communicate with anyone else, haha.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Who the hell put eight words in at once? Had to have been MMM, right?

I don't think I ever submitted more than five actual words in a guess, aside from the day 1 random words. Just put in "FILLER" for the rest, because I didn't want any noise in my results, and I felt like once I'd confirmed words, I didn't need them anymore; they just got filed away.

Also, when I said I had six words and everyone was like "WHAT?! SIX WORDS!?!" I was very confused, because I had decided that no one would believe me if I claimed five, because it would be too low. I had eight, and was reasonably sure I wasn't the most.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Poque posted:

Nobody seemed to notice that somebody had a "within one" placement for day 1, which was ActingPower misplacing his own word.

I actually forgot that merk got KATYDID on D2, I assumed that was the within 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

EVERYBODY KEPT GUESSING "SALVOES" AND I DIDN'T GET IT
This is what I understood to have happened (though people could have lied):

ActingPower tried some of the words on the list that had been tried before. He gave the list to some people (he implied just me, but I strongly suspect there were others) to narrow down. "SALVOES" was one of the three words we had a name for, so I submitted that and the two from Hal. In order to narrow down the position, I think it had to be guessed the next day, too (since if it were the other word, we would have known the position).

• Locked thread