Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MUMMY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

SPYDER

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

THE CROW FLIES AT MIDNIGHT

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Whoa, I thought there was going to be a night zero communication submission, this kinda shakes things up.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Nevermore214 posted:

Hrm. Withholding my vote for now. I'd like to see how things shape up. I'm not a tester, a joker, or a lurker. I don't know where that leaves me, but I can't help but feel that Byers just alienated a few people, including myself. As well, I don't trust Somberbrero.

I guess I'll find out soon where the leaves me.

I'm kinda curious why you'd feel alienated by what Byers said - why don't you think you'd be considered a tester?

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Somber, have you watched the Genius Game?

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Nevermore214 posted:

I read into it too much. Basically, anyone who's a Tester but has middling skill can side either way (if we choose to separate ourselves by Byers v Somberbrero) and be relatively safe for the early game. I jumped the gun. Sorry, Byers.

The way I interpreted it is that if you're trying to win whatsoever, you're a tester. Jokers are just trying to slow others down, lurkers aren't doing anything but keeping their information guarded.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Nope! It looked good + cool though.

You're pretty much suggesting the announcer's alliance from season 2, which made the season lovely + boring

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

winvirus posted:

I hit 0 for 13 on my word list. Rip

I whiffed on everything but my personal word too

I had no idea how Poque could resist using CORNCOB

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Strong Mouse posted:

Why would you put your own word in your submission. You know what and where it is, you should try to figure out other words. From what people have put in the thread, and my own submissions, I am working at writing a list of words that aren't correct.

Though it's mostly so I don't guess the same words multiple times.

I didn't think much of today's submission because it's guessing random seven letter words and any pings are going to be dumb luck.

I'll tell you that if I was going to guess another word it would have been "warthog", feel free to guess that on your list and see if you get anything from it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

MildManeredManikin posted:

I was thinking about that. Winv and him already have The De Facto Alliance and he's implied merk will want to be part of it and PoP seems to like the idea as well.

Following Byers' proposition for voting gives everyone a chance to play, following Somber's doesn't.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Well, that's completely untrue.

Somberbrero posted:

Just as a point of order, my goal isn't the elimination of all superior players. That's impossible to determine and has some weird connotations. I do think that I would probably lose any kind of logic puzzle game to you, winvirus, or merk, so it seems like poor play to try and work around that. I don't know anyone else here well enough to make that kind of determination about them, but I'm willing to take my chances because I signed up for this

How can you write this and pretend to want anything other than the first three boots to be Byers, winvirus, and merk?

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

I'm not? My point is that regardless of who we vote, we are all ultimately only voting to advance our own position in the game and break the code.

If you ever watch Genius Game, congrats on being Gura.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Here's my whiffs:

CORNCOB
FIREMAN
THUNDER
BUTTERY
PHANTOM
BARRELS
POTHOLE
RADICAL
GUMBALL
FRONTAL
BURRITO
GORILLA

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Frontal Gorilla Burrito and Buttery Phantom Barrels are both available for band names btw

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Who guessed "Tictock" btw

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

winvirus posted:

Nevermore, if you read the post at the top of this page.

It somehow stood out to me in the doc but not on that list. vOv

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

##vote Nevermore I missed his positioning slip too, but I'd rather lock down that slot/word combo than not.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Strong Mouse posted:

I was bored, so I made a Spreadsheet with all the words that I know haven't worked. You can add your own if you want.

merk posted:

PoP you should call me

Donezo

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Hi my inbox is cleaned out now, although I'm kinda exhausted (I'm doing a lovely temping thing and had to get up at like 5:30 this morning for it)

Somberbrero posted:

The out of thread communication has me really worried. This game is going to be super susceptible to ringleading, with enough contacts I would be concerned about a D3 or D4 solve from someone well-connected. I'm leaning towards Pecota for today because of that reason.

No vote for you today Winvirus, happy birthday.

Two people submitted me, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with that as the case.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Right, but because of the way out-of-thread communication works in this game, the people you're partnered with PM-wise early on are going to be your natural coalition partners throughout the game.

Which puts you and Rarity on a team with this mysterious third person, and PoP, Winvirus, and Byers on another team. Clearly, both of those are possibly larger than that, but I hope not, because otherwise I'm hosed. Or maybe I hope so, because then I get to be kingmaker? Who knows. Or maybe the third is a connection between those two groups...

Thanatosian, who are you communicating with?

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

winvirus posted:

I have not heard from PoP

And sorry MMM I read it backwards

Doing it now, I wanted to hear if you were in first~

It was sent off to merk though.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

on phone, inbox cleared, have more to say soon
##vote EXAKT Science

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

I just saw Birdman, will be back soon~

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Was it good.

BIRDMAN was very good, I'd highly recommend it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Which three chumpos didn't submit a guess?

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Poque posted:

Byers2142's code segment is: GLASGOW.

btw in memoriam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utsHE5xWges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BshxCIjNEjY

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

I'm pouring a shitton of time into Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and eating at a tapas place tonight~

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

*opens PM box*
*two moths fly out*

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

I'm definitely not the person with the most information right now, one of those three D2 connections was Byers (whose information everyone has) and both of my connections today still haven't even responded to my PMs. (pps if either of you are reading this, please respond even if you just want to tell me to pound sand or something)

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

That kind of makes me want to vote for one of them.

If they're sitting on enough words to just be able to give them away, that doesn't really bode well for those of us who aren't recipients of their largesse.

Well, your six words is more than what I've got so by that metric

##vote Thanatosian

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

How long after the start of a day would you wait without hearing from someone you have an open line of communication with before assuming they don't want to exchange information? It's been over 24 hours, I assume they've had a chance to send a PM if they wanted to.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Strong Mouse posted:

See, I'd also like this. Sure, voting for somebody with a lot of words may be good, but there could be people out there with as many or more. I'd rather see how other people are doing first.

And I think getting rid of liars is more important.

Strong Mouse, I'm guessing you were talking to Somber D2 re: this

Strong Mouse posted:

I kind of want to see what Somber says when I talk to him out of thread, so ##vote winvirus to keep my hope alive.

At this point in the game, I don't really think anybody is more of a threat than anybody else.

Did he tell you anything about who else was in contact with him? There should be a pretty short list of who potentially lied to him if that's really the case.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Strong Mouse posted:

See, I'd also like this. Sure, voting for somebody with a lot of words may be good, but there could be people out there with as many or more. I'd rather see how other people are doing first.

And I think getting rid of liars is more important.

Strong Mouse posted:

So the person who lied was either me or Hal, and I'm not lying when I am talking OoT

Is there a reason you aren't voting Hal off of this?

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Rarity posted:

AP, MMM, it's up to you guys. Pick the side you think you have the best chance of winning with, I guess.

It's pretty slimy to pretend ActingPower's on the sidelines here.

Well I'll just post this in the thread then.

These were the communication lines on the first day we could speak:

Thana told me ActingPower stonewalled him and never responded. This is clearly not true, since Somber gave out the same word that Thano gave me.

I think either it's AP's word that AP gave to Thana and Somber or it's Thana's word that SP basically stole, shared to his rarity/somber alliance and then somber passed it off as his word.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Why is there all this high-horse nonsense rhetoric going on when the goal for everyone should be to vote the strongest player?

Rather, why is there all this high-horse nonsense rhetoric going on when the goal for everyone should be to obtain code words?

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlt5Wa13fFU

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

ActingPower posted:

Hey, I remember this song from one of the AMV Hell videos!

You should watch The Genius, it's used amazingly in season 3.

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

One more person after those two would make the amount needed.

Hal? PoP? Merk?

What's in a vote swap for me? Thanatosian's been pretty outspoken about me being on his poo poo list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 3, 2007

Also, gently caress it, I'll give you poo poo if you do that.

Would you contact me tonight?

• Locked thread