Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

I will play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Hmm. Interesting. So lynching someone simply prevents them from winning the game. It's basically a popularity contest as far as lynches go.

We could always agree to no-lynch, though, right? To give everyone still a fair shot at winning?

It seems like it's just a "oh no, x is too close to a solution, we should vote him gone" instead of an information gathering tool.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

My word is ZYZZYVA, owned

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Realtalk Byers I see no reason for you to hint or reveal your word right now.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

But yeah since it's plurality if there's no votes at all during the day would anyone be lynched? I simply don't see a reason to necessarily lynch someone before any private contact at all, or even later in the game. If anything we should only lynch even days to get both the word and the placement.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

And yet this game is potentially unwinnable if the final two both bitterly hide their words since there are like you said millions of words that are seven letters long.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Ahh, I missed that part.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

Poque said no theme. I tried several common seven letter words in my guess today, a few random ones, and several that were similar to my word, all were bad. That's what I'm saying, it's effectively random right now, hence pushing for talk.

Any chance you'd post the words that didn't work? :v:

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

EXAKT Science posted:

There are no doubt several of us who, based on our code segments, are in a prime position right now.

What do you mean? People with uncommon words?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Strong Mouse posted:

It is the name of something, and that name comes from having mashed two words together.

TITFUCK confirmed

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Also if there are words that are in the solution that aren't in the dictionary that's kind of bullshit tbh

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Why should any of us trust any information anyone makes public? I know that my first inclination was to lie about the theme and content of my code segment.

Exakt, from our mafia experience I think you would have a decent social game and a good head for this stuff, but I'm weirded out by your prime position comment. And upon preview, I'm even more weirded out by you soft-claiming your code segment.

Winvirus can you convince me that there is any scenario in which we were both in the final two that you would not win?

The scenario where you somehow had more information than me, which wouldn't happen, because I'm smart, social and competitive. But you're playing Day 39 Survivor when it's only Day 1, so I agree with Byers that trimming the dead weight is likely the best initial strategy.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Yeah, I think games and riddles would be fine since everyone would have an equal shot. You just can't be like "my word is 73726262738484836262626 I will give you the cipher so you know I'm legit" or some poo poo

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

We could, of course, simply mass claim words, since there are what, something like 500,000,000 orderings possible? Unless my math is way off

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

Yes, but it takes me two days to get the exact position once I have a word, and I think with a bit of imagination I can decode two words' positions at a time. The possibilities reduce fast.

That's a very good point.

I will join in for my (our) obvious survival, also.

##vote Somberbrero

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You're right that you don't want to bring strong players to the end, but at the same time, if the strong players just keep eliminating strong players they won't have a majority anymore. If Byers sees me as part of his group of strong players, he would want my assistance in trimming dead weight players before turning on me or before I on him.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I like how you call it a "de facto alliance" when you literally forced that situation. You're targeting players like me, and Byers, and merk, and etc, through your own admissions, because you believe they're stronger or smarter than you. When you literally name multiple players you think are threats they will all fire back at you. You can't call it a de facto alliance when you've literally engineered this situation. Stop spinning garbage.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I hit 0 for 13 on my word list. Rip

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

There's no deadline tonight? Gee I feel silly for submitting my word list already :v:

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Rarity, if you sincerely believe "winvirus, you just won The Genius Game, it's someone else's turn" is actually valid reasoning, then I really don't know what to say. I play games because I am competitive and it's fun to play to win. I don't win often, but if I do, it shouldn't preclude me from winning again at a totally unrelated game, because that's several magnitudes of dumb

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

And, as was previously stated by someone, very accurately, my vote on Somberbrero is defensive in nature. I am open to other candidates.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Eliminating lurkers in this game is vastly different than eliminating lurkers in mafia, MMM.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Can I change teams to Third Way.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Hal you should Contact Me tonight and I'll tell you my word !!

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

You're going to tell him your word just for contacting you?

Well, I mean, the subtext is that we would share our words, mutually. We would still have leverage after that in regards to which position it is in.

Each player gets two pieces of leverage: their word, and their position. Their word is much more valuable, since position can be bruteforced, but position can give you an end-game edge.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

the best (worst??) breadcrumb

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Rarity posted:

The problem with this strategy is that you're relying on every surviving player to have revealed their words. Do you really expect that's going to happen?

It's certainly possible. What precludes it from happening? Someone bitterly withholding their word, maybe, or lying about their word, but both of those mean that player *must* get to the endgame, since otherwise others will similarly withhold information.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Similarly withhold information from the perpetrator*

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

you know you've been in TG too long when you just start assuming any + every game bans editing of posts and just never do it out of habit

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Wait, Nevermore, you managed to actually guess a word? So you have two words, now?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I added mine to the list, Mouse. I figure why not. If we have an actual big database of words that don't work, it's easier to call someone out if they're lying about their word.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

Who guessed "Tictock" btw

Nevermore, if you read the post at the top of this page.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Can we get a votecount?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I would still prefer we come to a majority consensus on who we should lynch, and there's a lot of people whom we haven't heard voice a lynch candidate.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

I'm also down to vote whoever guessed 'SECOND' and 'VOLUME.' :eng99:

...You already are. :doh:

I was never very good at counting :(

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I am inclined to find last-minute voting/vote-switching to be in poor taste, personally. I don't know if that's common in the mafia games on these forums, but given that real life exists, and it doesn't provide an opportunity for people to defend themselves or convince people to vote for others, I think it sours the spirit of the game.

I recognize it's a fairly significant mechanical advantage, but given the constraints of playing this kind of game on a messageboard, in the name of sportsmanship I feel like giving people at least 3-4 hours is the right thing to do.

Though, if we get eight votes in in the last hour, I'm sure as hell not going to bring a vote-knife to a vote-gun fight.

You could prevent that by unvoting Byers so they wouldn't be able to last minute switch to him. Just a thought.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Personally, all else being equal, I'm inclined to vote for people who don't vote. I feel like it's the bare minimum for participation in the game; quite literally the least you can do.

I think this is a fair strategy, as well, because it's essentially a form of lurking.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I'll be around at the close of day, and if there are shenanigans, I may very well do that.

You would have to do it right now, or else they could both switch, putting him at 3, and then you unvote, putting him at 2, and due to tiebreaker rules, he would still be lynched, rather than the switcher (Somber/Rarity)

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

so which is somb, should I be eliminated because I'm a threat, or because I'm dumb and submitted six letter words, or is it you're just grasping any reason to have me eliminated because you simply don't like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I would prefer to be the day 2 lynch, so that you'll have both my location and my word, and not just my word.

Perhaps we should vote out someone who has inadvertently revealed their location.

It's just a thought.

##unvote
##vote Nevermore

• Locked thread