Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

For reference, I'm pretty sure the combat with Bangerz and Mash will also end the moment you select "Fight" and before you can choose any abilities.

And PS: Don't forget to bug your party members first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The checkpoint there is a nice little setpiece. Your first piece of evidence that Dhoulmagus is bad news, you just walk up and uh, drat, someone turned these doors to splinters. They don't make a cutscene out of it either - they just let you take from it what you will.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I thought you said "hug the mourners" and I think that would be sweet of Yangus to do.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I do hope that guy won't have to wait too long for his bag. It's already been a few days.

Also, great timing on that update. :golfclap:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

When I came to this point I was like "Game, why the hell are you making me fight children?"
Also: Hi Trunks.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

More friends! They're nocturnal. My scrounging around for overworld chests has burned the afternoon.

Saw this first while scrolling down; somehow mentally merged "funghouls" and "drackmages" into "fuckmages." ok that's my story

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

loquacius posted:

Saw this first while scrolling down; somehow mentally merged "funghouls" and "drackmages" into "fuckmages." ok that's my story

Hey, you stole my post! :mad:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

loquacius posted:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Funghouls is a great enemy because that is my go-to swear.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Silegna posted:

When I came to this point I was like "Game, why the hell are you making me fight children?"

Because bangers and mash is delicious. English food on the whole is terrible, but bangers and mash is practically Irish in its delicious sausage and potato goodness.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ddegenha posted:

Because bangers and mash is delicious. English food on the whole is terrible, but bangers and mash is practically Irish in its delicious sausage and potato goodness.

...so you're saying you'd rather the game make you EAT children? :gonk:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

...so you're saying you'd rather the game make you EAT children? :gonk:

Well he did say it was practically Irish.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Boomerangs are useful in the early game, but even a high investment in their skill tree they'll lose their advantage in time. I never really used them, I put all his points into courage/swords/spears. The spear tree has a couple skills vital for metal slime farming as does Yangus' Axe tree.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
So I gotta ask, are the scary bull mask dudes an old design from past Dragon Quest games? Because I seriously don't know what the hell is up with them, they're so incredibly outlandish compared to other npcs. :stare:

e: oh, I've sunk about a hundred hours into this game, I know they're common npcs. They're just so odd compared to other npc designs, on account of looking less like a normal person and more like something out of Hellraiser.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 6, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Rabidredneck posted:

Boomerangs are useful in the early game, but even a high investment in their skill tree they'll lose their advantage in time. I never really used them, I put all his points into courage/swords/spears.

Yeah, I never really got the appeal of the boomerang tree personally. You can (and should!) still use boomerangs with 0 points invested in them, and the other trees are generally better in boss fights and against tough normal enemies. That said, a veteran could beat the game with 0 points invested in any skill on any character, so really it doesn't matter that much.

ManlyGrunting posted:

So I gotta ask, are the scary bull mask dudes an old design from past Dragon Quest games? Because I seriously don't know what the hell is up with them, they're so incredibly outlandish compared to other npcs. :stare:

Yeah, I believe they've shown up in tiny pixelated sprite form before. They're one of the standard Random NPC Types in this game, so we'll be seeing dozens of them (or just one, with a knack for accents and beating us to where we're going).

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I think they started in Dragon Quest Monsters, as I remember them is Dragon Quest Monsters Joker.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zurai posted:

Yeah, I believe they've shown up in tiny pixelated sprite form before. They're one of the standard Random NPC Types in this game, so we'll be seeing dozens of them (or just one, with a knack for accents and beating us to where we're going).

Nah, they're cousins. Like Nurse Joy, but bound by a love of bodybuilding and cattle more than a specific profession.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

Silegna posted:

I think they started in Dragon Quest Monsters, as I remember them is Dragon Quest Monsters Joker.

They appear in DQ6 too

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I think they've been around since DQ1. DQ3 at the latest.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I was gonna say, one of them was a very early boss in DQ3.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008

Raitzeno posted:

I was gonna say, one of them was a very early boss in DQ3.

You might be thinking of Kandar, the masked guy holding an axe.

I always refer to the thugs as "s&m guys."

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Another little detail I like from this game: when you go back to fight a boss that has already wiped you out (rememeber, there's no game over, you go back to the last inn with half your money) they'll have unique dialogue acknowledging they kicked your rear end before.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

MightyPretenders posted:

I think they've been around since DQ1. DQ3 at the latest.

Oh you are right. They are in DQ2:
http://spritedatabase.net/file/7119

BTW are there any good DQ manga? I have DQM+ and it is pretty fun.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

How I stalked some dude with an exposed nipple and stumbled upon the zenithian sword.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mkwong98 posted:

Oh you are right. They are in DQ2:
http://spritedatabase.net/file/7119

BTW are there any good DQ manga? I have DQM+ and it is pretty fun.

Dai no Daibouken is really good and basically the only DQ thing I've seen to completition. Made by Riku Sanjou, the guy behind Digimon Xros Wars, Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger and Kamen Rider W/Drive, if you know any of those series.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

I thought this was buzzfeed for a second.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This is a hell of a lot better than my LP.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You never answered my question. I'm right now only at the end of DW3, so I don't know, but do cursed equipment still show up in this game? If so, what happens when Eight tries to put them on?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Cursed equipment has a built-in negative effect for anyone who equips it, depending on the item- that's what Benediction is for in the church, to remove that. However, our curse-immune hero can equip it without any effect whatsoever- when the game says he's immune to curses, he's straight up immune to curses.

not that there's any reason to because most cursed items can be turned into better, noncursed versions.

e" \/\/Are you sure? Because I think I can remember equipping eight with a cursed item and the game outright giving a "the curse disspitates from Eight" message, to paraphrase. I could swear that Eight is immune to curses that are on weapons/armour.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 6, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Well, he's immune to the "lose a turn" part but he's still open to the "horrible side effects" part. Though it's hard to tell when it's 2/3 through the game before I even find anything cursed Eight can equip and every cursed item makes some incredible swag when alchemized.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There is definitely cursed equipment in DQVIII, and I believe the Hero is immune to equipment curses.

e: that's what I get for leaving tabs open

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ManlyGrunting posted:

e" \/\/Are you sure? Because I think I can remember equipping eight with a cursed item and the game outright giving a "the curse disspitates from Eight" message, to paraphrase. I could swear that Eight is immune to curses that are on weapons/armour.

It'd be easiest to show with the Ruinous Shield since it undermines itself via boosts to magic damage but the time I could get one would be around

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Next update will be wrapping up Tyran Gully before we scoot off to the final dungeon.

so you'll just have to trust me.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Who made this and why? :psyduck:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Who made this and why? :psyduck:

It's apparently based on a thread from 2chan.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alistair's murder hangs heavy in the halls of the Albert estate.

Random pilfering and theft isn't shenanigans, right?

Ah, cheese. DQ8 has an intricate cheese system. Alas, all we can access is the basic cheese.

Our new mission: tell anyone she said so.

: "Not only am I the son of the Chancellor to a large and prosperous kingdom, but I'm also the lovely Jessica's fiancè. Yes, that's me! She lost her brother recently, so I came here today to comfort her. But I seem to be faced with an unexpected obstacle to our love. There are some brats in front of her room who won't let me in. Ah, the sea of true love is strewn with the flotsam of despair!"

Lorenzo is as foppish as his outfit implies. Though, that story about a fiancè from a large kingdom, I swear I've heard it before.

: "Sadly, my family is currently in mourning. No one is permitted to set foot outside the house. I'm afraid that my daughter is less than happy about this arrangement and has confined herself to her room. She's even asked those boys to stand guard at the door. I'm sure I don't know what's got into her."

Indeed, Bangerz and Mash are here to block the door. Let's pilfer anyway.

Indeed, a mouse.

It runs into this hole in the wall.

Hmm, well, we have one item at our disposal that can handle this!

Before that, pilfering. This seed boosts MP, and will more than likely end up inside Yangus.

The third basic restorative, it cures paralysis for the whole party. It'll be quite a while before anything paralyzes.

Munchie is our vital operative for tiny holes in walls.

Go Topo Go!!

This is our first Munchie segment, where Eight's noble mouse must cause some sort of minor mischief.

In this case, we go downstairs in Jessica's alarmingly large room.

But it seems the lady in question isn't even here. Where is she?

So Munchie uses the broom to get up to the desk.

The other mouse does all of squeaking.

It's theft for a good cause I swear.

Munchie can't climb up the steps, but he can go up the railing.

He also has an action roll for... uh... I don't think the action roll does anything.

So uh, Jessica has a letter saying she's missing. Maybe we ought to show Bangerz this.

But but but, I have the key item!

Wait, I have to use the key item. Right.

Jessica's Letter

'I don't know who will find this letter. But please consider it my last will and testament. For by the time you read this, I will already be gone. I am going to the tower in the east. I will not return until my brother's death is avenged. Mother, I'm sorry for the damage I've caused to our family's reputation. But this is about something far bigger than tradition. I must follow my heart, no matter the consequences. Please forgive me. And to Bangerz and Mash, I'm sorry for lying to you. I hope you'll forgive me as well. Signed, Jessica.'

"She's been in her room the whole time! So how could she give you a letter?"
: "I dunno. It sounds sorta real to me."
"... ...Okay! Fine! I'll check her room!"

Man it'd be really funny if she was just standing behind a curtain to gently caress with us.

"Gimme that letter!"

"But if she really did go to the tower, she'll end up just like her brother Alistair! This is bad... This is REALLY bad... We've gotta do something! We've gotta get her out of there!"

Eh sure let's go with it. I mean it's not like event flags will trigger themselves.

I guess the in-universe explanation is that Eight is just a really heroic guy.

"Okay! We've gotta hurry! To get to the tower, go left down the path outside the village!"

Man why won't this child engage in life and death conflict with us.

"Listen, Mash. Whatever you do, don't let Jessica's mum find out where she went!"
: "Yessir, Bangerz!"
"Good! Come on! We've gotta hurry!

Yangus does not like this kid at all. He's having trouble putting up with him.

Bangerz wants us to head straight to the tower. Unluckily for him, we tend to wander and ramble.

Trode just wants to get that jester really, really bad.

Yangus finally has an axe to demo its first ability!

It does the damage of a regular attack without costing MP so there's no real opportunity cost to it.

Hey, it's guys like that one from the waterfall cave!

They're hardy enough for Yangus to demo Helm Splitter's defense decrease in action.

Hammerhoods tend to wiff attacks by falling over.

Those they land though really rip into your HP. Or maybe that's just my lack of armor purchases catching up with me.

They can also psyche up, though they lose tension on wiffs.

Yangus reaches his short-term axes goal with Hatchet Man.

Sums of cash from chests in DQ games tend to be disappointing, though every bit helps right about now.

Let's try this cheese out!

Meanwhile, Yangus preps his Hatchet Man. IIRC it's 50% abject failure, 25% regular damage,

and 25% critical hit. It may sound tiny, but 25% is vastly higher than the regular critical hit rate.

Mice like cheese, right?

Do they all breathe fire when given cheese?

It may seem insignificant, but, remember, basic cheese. Cheeses can do some crazy things.

I hate this game sometimes.

Fencing Foxes are another one of the fellers around here.

Their main thing is the ability to cast Fizzle, the silence spell.

Their other ability is to get wrecked by boomerangs.

The game has an AI system. It's mostly unecessary but it does have one trick - it can respond to something that happened in the round it happened, like casting Heal on someone who was just hit.

With some funds from adventuring I can get new shields for Eight and Yangus.

Also enough money to buy new armor for Yangus. The Scale Armour will have to wait.

Next time, the tower.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The horrible puns are an essential part of the DQ experience.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

ultrafilter posted:

The horrible puns are an essential part of the DQ experience.

At least the more recent ones... If I'm not mistaken, the original Japanese DQ scripts have always been, er, pun-medium, and the English translations didn't bother with a lot of it for a while up until about DQ7 or the DS remakes. Since then, though, they've doubled down on puns in the localizations in a big way, and I love it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
You'd think they'd specify that it was pepper jack cheese or something to make the effect more obvious.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Something just occurred to me...if the horse is the princess under a spell, why are we making her pull the cart?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Choco1980 posted:

Something just occurred to me...if the horse is the princess under a spell, why are we making her pull the cart?!

There are two kinds of people in the world of DQ8. Those with weapons, and those who pull the cart.

You pull the cart. :clint:

• Locked thread