Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Crabtree posted:

Oh good, they're making him voice the mystic woman as well. You done good Over the Garden Wall.

EDIT: And the bird is trying to sell them into slavery. Jeeze.
Was. Seems like she was trying to get out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its certainly freaky to think about what the heck Adelae really was at this point. Replacing their brains with yarn? Weakness to air. Some sort of knitting mummy?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Crabtree posted:

Its certainly freaky to think about what the heck Adelae really was at this point. Replacing their brains with yarn? Weakness to air. Some sort of knitting mummy?

She has the "black widow" mark on her back. Yarn spider.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
She had a conspicuous hourglass shape on her back to go with all of her yarn webbing:

e:f,b

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
It's such a weird plot twist, the cute animal companion betraying our heroes to a witch. Even weirder was when I rewatched episode 2, and one of the first things Beatrice says is that Greg should ditch Wirt and go with her alone. Sure ain't your typical Disney moment. It's one of the things that makes me like this so well. Beatrice isn't here to be cute. She has her own quest to fulfill, and has to decide if saving her family justifies enslaving children.

So Beatrice is out of the group, and Adelaide was a fraud and is also dead. Now where do they go? Well, tomorrow Wirt meets a girl:

and Greg meets, uh, these people.

don Jaime fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 7, 2014

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I just want to know how you play two old cat

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The poisonous night air was probably a reference to miasma theory, and to the Wicked Witch. They're stumbling into other people's stories with their own tropes and cliches.

This is great. My favourite line has to be

"It's like French Rococo. That doesn't really fit with Endicott's Georgian sensibilities."

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"It's like French Rococo. That doesn't really fit with Endicott's Georgian sensibilities."
"How? What?! Who on earth am I talking to right now?!"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

don Jaime posted:

It's also possible that snuffing the beast released all the souls he had "eaten" while the lantern burned.

I did a freeze frame just as the lantern went out and it led me to go with this theory as the explanation.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The wonderful thing about this line is that it underscores all of the little efforts the show designers took into making the upcoming twist feel subtly sensible :allears:

Also, "I don't have the embouchure for that!" It's easy to stick in poorly written technobabble into children's entertainment because kids are familiar with the joke that adults use :words: they can't understand. The wonderful thing about this show is that if a kid asks what Rococo or embouchure are, it's a wonderful gateway conversation for them to have with their parents.

It's such a good feeling when the writers and artists of children's entertainment care about the product they're making.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I liked that Auntie Whispers was just weird and harmless. Depending on how this ends I'm likely going to hope there is another season of or sequel to Over the Garden Wall. Maybe with a new set of kids or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I'm super loving this I think I'd be okay with it just being a one off thing. I'd rather CN just continue to do programs of this caliber.

Both of tonight's episodes sure were downers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I made sure to re-watch the Auntie Whispers episode, because I hate it when those episodes "cheat" by having people talk in a way they wouldn't just so they can be misunderstood. I think this one cheated a bit but mostly makes sense on re-watch. (It always makes sense "literally" but I mean in terms of the dialogue smoothly meaning what the speaker intended)

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I want to know what's up with the black turtles. They're what changed the dog into a monster in the first episode, and Auntie Whispers eats them like her bread and butter.

They kind of remind me of the snail from Adventure Time in that I found myself always looking out for them in each episode.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just finished watching this and holy poo poo I was not expecting some of those twists. The Woodcutter's whole story arc was kind of heartbreaking to me since I have a daughter myself and found myself unconsciously biting my nails every time it looked like the lantern might go out. This series really sneaks up on you with the weird, tongue-in-cheek creepy children's story silliness of the first few episodes, and by the time it starts revealing the genuinely horrible stuff, it's already got its hooks in you. Just really impressive and well-done all around.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Argue posted:

I did a freeze frame just as the lantern went out and it led me to go with this theory as the explanation.

I like the idea more that the Beast is a sort of metaphor for despair and loneliness and none of the people were ever in the lantern. It fits thematically anyways, IMO

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

I just finished watching this and holy poo poo I was not expecting some of those twists. The Woodcutter's whole story arc was kind of heartbreaking to me since I have a daughter myself and found myself unconsciously biting my nails every time it looked like the lantern might go out. This series really sneaks up on you with the weird, tongue-in-cheek creepy children's story silliness of the first few episodes, and by the time it starts revealing the genuinely horrible stuff, it's already got its hooks in you. Just really impressive and well-done all around.

I have to agree. I found Greg the most annoying character at first, but watching him choose to die to protect his brother made me rethink him.

Final episodes tomorrow. I was hoping we'd catch more people than usually check the cartoon threads, but it looks like not. Shame, they're missing out. Tomorrow we get sheer terror:

And then it gets worse.

don Jaime fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 17, 2014

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

don Jaime posted:

I was hoping we'd catch more people than usually check the cartoon threads, but it looks like not.

As a checker of cartoon threads, idk. I'm here, i'm watching, I'm lovin' it (ba da da da da). My husband is hating it 'cause he caught the very end of ep 2 which was "wtf?!" enough to be enticing, but then eps 3 and 4 were very song-heavy which taxed his reserves and mine as well. I don't dislike the musical cues so much as I dislike musicals, writ large, which night 2 of this certainly angled towards. That's my only crit; the VAs, storyline, animations, etc. etc. etc. are all wonderful and I'm glad I didn't roll my eyes up into my head and write it off, all, "welp it's kid-disney songs from here to the end."

I really wonder about that musical concentration in eps 2-4 vs. the rest of the series aired to date. It seems oddly paced? But the animation accompanying most of the songs is wonderful so, yay!

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 7, 2014

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think it's just because most of the major auxiliary characters have been voiced by singers that had parts written specifically for them: Enoch the Pumpkin God, Langtree the teacher, the toymaker and highwayman from the tavern, the Frog, the Beast. Even the North Wind song in episode 8 sounds like a Tom Waits song.

Seanticleer
Oct 23, 2014

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I want to know what's up with the black turtles. They're what changed the dog into a monster in the first episode, and Auntie Whispers eats them like her bread and butter.

I still don't quite know what to think about those turtles, but I have a few theories:

1.) The dog-then-monster was clearly after the candy, and ate the first candy he/she found on the turtle that Greg found. The dog choked on it, and then... Well, that's when conjecture comes in. Is the turtle itself evil? Did having the turtle inside of him/her make the dog the monster? That wouldn't explain how the dog shared the eyes of the Beast, unless the Beast is somehow connected to the turtles.

2.) It could also be that the Beast offered the dying dog some kind of unspoken deal, although that seems like a stretch.

3.) OR it could have something to do with the curse that was put on Beatrice and her family.

None of these really satisfy, so does anyone else have some sexy theories on dem turts?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was with you on #1, but with the same problem. What connects the turtles and the Beast? Even Auntie Whispers ate one with no problem.

Seanticleer
Oct 23, 2014

Pick posted:

I was with you on #1, but with the same problem. What connects the turtles and the Beast? Even Auntie Whispers ate one with no problem.

And on top of that, Auntie Whispers wasn't evil after all. Just big, ugly, and voiced by Tim Curry. Which is probably a positive thing in the long run.

Unrelated, but I'm glad this show exists just so I can make up theories as to whether or not turtles are evil and if choking on them connects you to an ancient spirit of loss and sadness. Cartoons is fun!

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

This whole series was really, really, really good.

That's my in depth analysis. I wish I had more to say.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Funderberger.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
He really is the complete package. :allears:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Hey, hey, I was just kidding

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Heeey Seraaaa. How's it gooing fellow Baand geek? ;)

Poor wert, he really is just a silly 70s/80s kid with too much anxiety for his own good.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

eat your dirt

That was charming.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
That was really sweet.
Did anyone get a full image of The Beast's true form?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

That was really sweet.
Did anyone get a full image of The Beast's true form?
Pretty sure there was a frame of the lamp being shined at him. It looked like he was made of wood?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Pretty sure there was a frame of the lamp being shined at him. It looked like he was made of wood?

It looked like wood with faces on it. I guess to represent all the souls of the "lost children" who couldn't make it out of the woods

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Wirt didn't leave the frog behind, and neither did the ambulance.

This was uniquely beautiful, and I hope it encourages more animation like it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This was good. When I rewatch it, i'd like to watch it all at once. Hope Cartoon Network makes more miniseries. Like how Wirt built up Jason Funderburger and he turned out not to be a big deal.

edit: Also the age appropriate drinks at the graveyard joke was great.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I thought it was just a tree with some animal living where the eyes were showing and people interpreted it as a mythical creature, but I'm likely wrong.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Crabtree posted:

I thought it was just a tree with some animal living where the eyes were showing and people interpreted it as a mythical creature, but I'm likely wrong.

It could move, so...I don't think it could be a tree.
Maybe a skeleton dressed up like a tree

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Gaunab posted:

Like how Wirt built up Jason Funderburger and he turned out not to be a big deal.

That was an excellent metaphor for childhood anxiety. In fact, the whole thing with Wirt's melodramatic dread in the face of his peers' casual friendliness and acceptance was beautifully done.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

That was just lovely tonight. I's sad to see it's over but it was really good while it lasted

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Finally caught up with the full thing. Absolutely loved it, especially how ambiguous much of the show's plot was. I think this is something that takes multiple viewings to fully appreciate.

Also, anyone notice this yet?

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Oh my god that was so good. Really hope that this proves a workable format; having enough high-quality miniseries to rotate them in a given time-slot year-round would be wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

Also, anyone notice this yet?

Greg is gonna show up on the next season of Clarence, is what that means

Maybe Wirt but he's a little older than Clarence

• Locked thread