Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

dee eight posted:

Purple Pickled Eggs! gently caress YEAH!

3 dozen eggs
3 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
3 cans whole red beets
2 whole cloves*

Hard boil and peel 3 doz. eggs, set aside.

In a large pan, heat 3 cups vinegar and stir in 2 cups sugar until the sugar dissolves completely. Add 3 cans whole red beets w/juice.
Heat the mixture until hot but not quite boiling. Remove from heat and add the eggs and cloves. Let sit until cool, then transfer to a large jar or other glass container (a gallon is about right). Refridgerate for 3 days, turning every day (to avoid white spots where they touch the side of the jar).

When they're juuuuust right, you cut one lengthwise and it should be a nice royal purple color with just a tiny corona of white around a golden yolk. A little shake of salt and pepper and it's one of the great comfort foods of all time.

*some people substitute a cinnamon stick for the cloves, but those people are heretics and should be burned alive after having their eyes gouged out.
I was going to say, I've had some eggs pickled in beets, and they are much better than vinegar pickled eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Gerty posted:

Papa Johns Pizza

You should be goddamned ashamed of yourself.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sapient Afro posted:

ask my mom to make me som eggs

your mama's so old that... she's all out of eggs

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Frostwerks posted:

your mama's so old that... she's all out of eggs

Tell that to microwave.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x-JVXkd8SQ

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

I. JUST. LIKE. EGGS. However I've made them in any particular instance is my favorite way because then I get to eat them right then.

Blackbird Betty
Mar 27, 2010
Microwave poached eggs are the perfect work lunch.

Add boiling water from the urn to one of those glass pyrex mugs every workplace supplies until it's 2/3rds full. Crack an egg into the mug. Cover the top with a serviette or something in case the egg pops and goes everywhere. Microwave for ~50 seconds. Cage eggs need a bit less time than free range.

Remove from microwave and strain the water out through a fork. Sit the egg on the serviette to mop up the water before you put it on top of toast and eat it. Done!

Blackbird Betty has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Nov 11, 2014

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
http://www.wowthatscool.com/-peachykeen/20-fun-food-hacks

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I don't have a name for this...I guess Buffalo Eggs or Omelette.

Throw some herbs and junk in the eggs as you see fit, like Italian poo poo, parsley flakes, oregano, and maybe a dash of paprika, whatever. Also a little bit of bleu cheese dressing, like a dollop maybe three quarters of a dollop, mix that in before the eggs and herbs are in the pan probably. Then try to make an omelette. At some point add some bleu cheese crumbles and Parmesan cheese, like before you fold it or whatever. Doesn't matter because you'll probably gently caress it up and have to default to scrambled eggs anyway. When it's done put it on a plate and then splash a bunch of buffalo sauce all over it. Maybe more bleu cheese crumbles on top for presentations sake.

Ground black pepper can go into that too, it's part of the junk I guess, but I forgot about it until now.

It's sorta like chicken cheese, but it's eggs, and there's no bun...I guess you could make it into an egg sandwich thing, that could work. Do whatever feels natural.

Also I tried those banana + eggs = "pancakes" things from earlier, tasted good, not like pancakes, but good.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
There is a man named Mr Eggs who has hundreds of posts about eggs on the bodybuilding.com forums. Here's how he cooks eggs.

quote:

1. Plant egg. Go to a park at about 9am and put eggs underneath bushes. Then wait about 10 minutes and when a jogger or runner comes by, wave at them and say "This green bush had an egg!" When they walk over, reach under and grab out all the eggs. Say "It's the first egg from a plant. They are usually from birds or dogs." Then squeeze it in your hand so it leaks, then hold it up over your face so all the glop drips down into your mouth. Tell them "Wow, it's vegetarian so we all love it." That's a lie, but so is saying that you should eat kale. It's not food, it's just a leaf and it tastes like a pencil.

2. Mechanic egg. Put about 5 eggs under your car lid, in the windshield tank, in the air vent, on top of battery, etc. and take it to the mechanic. Just say "It won't even drive." Stand there when they open the lid and they say "You have eggs everywhere. That's the problem." Get mad and grab out all the eggs and yell NUTRITION IS NEVER A PROBLEM. Then use a tire iron to bust the eggs 1 by 1 and lick the egg juice off the iron.

3. Glass egg. Get a regular coke or tea at Shoney's, Friendly, or other restaurant. Drop a whole egg into it and then yell over the waitress. When she shows up say "There's an egg in here." She will start to say sorry, then say "It's great, I love it because coke doesn't have protein, but you are looking out for me." Pour out the drink on the carpet (so it gets soaked up instead of making a mess) and then slam out the egg onto the table and say "You're getting a big tip." You have to leave them a $1 or $2 when you do this so it's not a lie, but it's worth it.

4. Burger egg. Push raw meat around a whole egg and then cook the meat on a grill or hot plate. When it's all brown and grey like a regular burger, give it to a friend. When he says "Why is this burger round" you say "It's all the nutrition inside." Then he crunches into it and it's all egg. If he doesn't want the rest, it's all yours.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Beau Monde seasoning. It's probably been sitting in your mom's spice rack since 1973. It's for eggs. Use a lot of it with black pepper in your scrambled eggs and they will taste awesome. I think Beau Monde means "good world". My dad taught me this spice when I was in high school. It's for eggs.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Time for the great debate: eggs... on a burger???

I vote: hell yes. Put the bun and top, give it a squeeze to release that yolk all over that burg.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Minarch posted:

Time for the great debate: eggs... on a burger???

The best hamburger: Burger, egg, bacon, cheese, beetroot, tomato, coleslaw, mustard, tomato sauce.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
Please try your hand at making Shakshuka.
It is incredibly delicious and super easy. Takes about 15-20 minutes.

In your pan, make a basic spiced tomato sauce.
Fry finely chopped onions, garlic and some peppers in butter until soft and golden.
Add a heaped teaspoon each of cumin, turmeric, coriander seeds, and fry for a few minutes with the veg.
Add a can or two of diced tomatoes and a bit of water or stock.
Let the sauce reduce for about ten minutes and season to taste.

When the sauce is done, crack 4 to 6 eggs on top of it.
Continue to let the sauce simmer and once the eggs have firmed for a bit, poach the eggs by gently simmering the sauce with the lid on. Basting the eggs in sauce is an optional step at this point, but I usually don't bother.

Once the eggs have poached to your liking, your Shaksuka is ready for serving.
Please keep the yolks super runny so that it can mix with your sauce while eating.

Scoop on a plate with the eggy goodness on top. Finish with a sprinkle of koriander and/or parsley. Serve with some bread for dipping.

Welcome to egg heaven.

(Note that adding a piece of meat, fish or some falafel on the side gives you a cheap and excellent dinner. Final serving suggestion would be a simple sauce on the side using yogurt mixed with Sriracha. Eat dat protein.)

Palpatine MD has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Nov 12, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Palpatine MD posted:

This sounds amazing :swoon:

Totally making this for dinner tonight.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Roast your peppers and tomatoes before putting them in (or broil in the oven till blackened), use olive oil, not butter at each stage of cooking.
Also use Harissa, dont you dare forget the harissa.

I have a good Ras El Hanout mix that always gets put in as a generous pinch.
but what Palpatine suggested is a good, if basic, set of spices.

e: And this is one of the only times where I will say no Sriracha. Harissa only. :colbert:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Roast your peppers and tomatoes before putting them in (or broil in the oven till blackened), use olive oil, not butter at each stage of cooking.
Also use Harissa, dont you dare forget the harissa.

I have a good Ras El Hanout mix that always gets put in as a generous pinch.
but what Palpatine suggested is a good, if basic, set of spices.

e: And this is one of the only times where I will say no Sriracha. Harissa only. :colbert:

Sorry, buddy, no can do on the Harissa. Stores 'round here don't stock that fancypants stuff.

Seriously, I live in a cornfield in the midwestern U.S. The nearest store that might stock Harissa is at least an hour's drive away.

Also, don't get mad if I use red bell peppers instead of green ones ok :ohdear:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That's completely fine.
I get way too anal about my Shakshuka.

I just really like eggs, guys.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

If I push down the lever on the toaster just a few seconds after I crack the eggs in the pan (sunny side up ftw), it makes a near flawless timer.
The toast pops up, I butter it, and the eggs are cooked to perfection when I'm done.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Palpatine MD posted:

~nailed it~

It's indescribably delicious.

chillmander
Feb 15, 2012
Eggs over easy on top of pork hash. Then slosh a ton of sriracha on there. :getin:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Eggs in a basket? I have always called it "bread with a hole."

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

Palpatine MD posted:

It is incredibly delicious and super easy. Takes about 15-20 minutes.

I was just about to post the Italian version of this - uovo in purgatorio. Eggs poached in a pan of your favourite red sauce (sometimes with chili), topped with parm or pecorino Romano and served with a ciabatta roll to mop the dish clean. Like most good Italian dishes it's super simple yet amazingly tasty.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Anais Nun posted:

I was just about to post the Italian version of this - uovo in purgatorio. Eggs poached in a pan of your favourite red sauce (sometimes with chili), topped with parm or pecorino Romano and served with a ciabatta roll to mop the dish clean. Like most good Italian dishes it's super simple yet amazingly tasty.

How the hell do you people taste actual egg flavor when the eggs are swimmingdrowning in such sharply flavored stuff? Egg flavor is delicate. I'm reminded of shrimp dishes that suck because you can't taste the shrimp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfEG15CLTqo

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It's less the taste of egg vs the taste of tomato sauce as it is the combination of the two.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
There's a similar Indonesian food called telur balado that's delicious:

Hard-boiled eggs in chilli sauce, I put coconut milk into mine so it makes the sauce a bit creamy too. It's like a bright red spicy egg mayonnaise. It's true that you can't really taste the egg, but the reason for the eggs is the hard-boiled texture and the nice mouthfeel along with the soft sauce.

Also scrambled egg or omelette on toast thickly spread with Marmite is always good. :D

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

~nailed it~

It's indescribably delicious.
yeeessss

Making some again tonight. The suggestion of harissa and ras el hanout is a good one, if you can find it.

Getting hard just thinking about the runny custardy yolks mixing with that amazing spicy sauce.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Palpatine MD posted:

Getting hard just thinking about the runny custardy yolks mixing with that amazing spicy sauce.

Wait, when did you start talking about softboiled eggs covered in sriracha :confused:

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples
I like to make extra large batches when I cook Shakshuka so I can freeze some for later.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
So that article about the piss eggs lead me to a wikipedia article about tea eggs, which is when you boil eggs, crack the shell (but leave it on) and then soak them in tea, soy sauce and five spice powder for a few days and then eat like a snack. I tried and it didn't really work. But then again I didn't look at a recipe, just the wiki article.

It seemed like the shell was cracked but that weird layer of bullshit between the hard shell and the egg white was intact, so the marinade couldn't penetrate to the egg. It was supposed to look like this:

What am I doing wrong? Somebody please help me unravel the mysteries of the orient.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

twoday posted:

So that article about the piss eggs lead me to a wikipedia article about tea eggs, which is when you boil eggs, crack the shell (but leave it on) and then soak them in tea, soy sauce and five spice powder for a few days and then eat like a snack. I tried and it didn't really work. But then again I didn't look at a recipe, just the wiki article.

It seemed like the shell was cracked but that weird layer of bullshit between the hard shell and the egg white was intact, so the marinade couldn't penetrate to the egg. It was supposed to look like this:

What am I doing wrong? Somebody please help me unravel the mysteries of the orient.

You gotta simmer them for like a half hour, then leave them submerged in the mixture overnight.

Make sure you're really giving them a pounding when you make the cracks. Don't destroy the egg, but you want it to look pretty beat up without straight falling apart.

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

"White Liiiiiiines, blow through my miiiind"

--The Fat Boys

twoday posted:

Eggs in a basket? I have always called it "bread with a hole."

Hybrid Structure: Eggs in a Bowl.

Poach 2 eggs. Make 1 toast. Butter toast. Dice buttered toast and place in bowl. Place eggs in bowl. Add S+P to taste. Surprisingly good.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Fuckabees posted:

Hybrid Structure: Eggs in a Bowl.

Poach 2 eggs. Make 1 toast. Butter toast. Dice buttered toast and place in bowl. Place eggs in bowl. Add S+P to taste. Surprisingly good.

You just made me remember that when I was a kid I scrambled eggs with croutons. It was delicious then; wonder if it would be now.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
That's basically what my mom would make for me whenever I was sick. She'd do two coddled eggs over cut up buttered toast and it never ever failed to make me feel better.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

twoday posted:

Are you using fresh eggs? They have to sit a week before you can hard boil them because the membrane is too strong.

My favorite egg starts out with a turkey sausage patty frying in a cast iron pan, then adding the egg in butter with salt and pepper. I fry the hell out of the egg until it's crispy. I toast an english muffin and put Land o' Lakes white American fresh sliced deli cheese (nothing else will do) on the egg to melt and then put it all together in a sandwich with fresh strawberries on the side.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I only started eating eggs in the last year. My parents are vegetarian and also don't eat eggs (but do have dairy) and so I didn't either, but I got a new girlfriend and she has introduced me to the wonders of the egg.

So far I've made:
Scrambled eggs both "regular" style and Gordon Ramsay style (Ramsay style is so much better).
Blue cheese soufflé (awesome)
Huevos Rancheros
Fried eggs
Poached eggs
Meringue (well, tried it, didn't make it myself)
Omelettes

I think my favourite is fried eggs where the yolk is like, half hard/just starting to go hard, so it's not totally liquid but not solid either and it's all gooey and awesome. I can't seem to do this consistently though. Does anybody have any tips for getting them to this stage?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Cook grits, crack an egg into it near the beginning and cover it with the grits. Now you got eggy grits.

Hollow out a tomato, throw some salt and spices in it, crack an egg in, put a cheese single on top, and bake for 30-45 minutes depending on how runny you want the egg.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I like my eggs to require special and slightly effete implements as well as having a more than slightly effete name.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

WhatEvil posted:

I only started eating eggs in the last year. My parents are vegetarian and also don't eat eggs (but do have dairy) and so I didn't either, but I got a new girlfriend and she has introduced me to the wonders of the egg.

So far I've made:
Scrambled eggs both "regular" style and Gordon Ramsay style (Ramsay style is so much better).
Blue cheese soufflé (awesome)
Huevos Rancheros
Fried eggs
Poached eggs
Meringue (well, tried it, didn't make it myself)
Omelettes

I think my favourite is fried eggs where the yolk is like, half hard/just starting to go hard, so it's not totally liquid but not solid either and it's all gooey and awesome. I can't seem to do this consistently though. Does anybody have any tips for getting them to this stage?

I tend to get the best results using a good centimetre of oil and a splash of water then cracking in the eggs and covering the pan with a pot lid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

Hollow out a tomato, throw some salt and spices in it, crack an egg in, put a cheese single on top, and bake for 30-45 minutes depending on how runny you want the egg.

God drat!

Wish I had some tomatoes on hand... :(

• Locked thread