Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

I mean, it would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I literally believe that up is down and down is up, I am glad that there is an option for me

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Hi, I'm permabanned poster goombastopmer58. i first started playing games when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "inverted aim" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "up is down" and "down is up" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what that kind of "inverted" style of aiming was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" inverted aiming to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

when the government forms the secret wetworks team that needs to go behind enemy lines and commit atrocities in the name of securing our freedoms no matter the cost they look through the config files amassed by all gaming companies as required by homeland security law and they pick the gamers who invert aim as the most remorseless killers ever produced.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
If in first person, I tilt my head back and the weight of my head goes down to look up. I tilt my head forward and the weight carries down to look down.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

mdm posted:

If in first person, I tilt my head back and the weight of my head goes down to look up. I tilt my head forward and the weight carries down to look down.

non-crazy people don't think like that. they don't think like their head is a crane. they think "i look up" and "i look down" if you are thinking about, like, weight of your head and poo poo you are a sociopath detached from your own sense of self who probably would like to deglove a man's entire head so you can move it up and down and watch the muscles in motion while repeating "i tilt the head back. now i tilt the head forward. now i tilt the head back."

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
when i look up, it's because god's thumb is pulling down on the back of my head

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Its because they played flight sims before console shooters.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
the ratchet and clank games default control scheme had inverted camera controls, and even weirder was that they called the normal system of camera control (up to pan up, down to pan down, etc.) "inverted".

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Mr. Pumroy posted:

non-crazy people don't think like that. they don't think like their head is a crane. they think "i look up" and "i look down" if you are thinking about, like, weight of your head and poo poo you are a sociopath detached from your own sense of self who probably would like to deglove a man's entire head so you can move it up and down and watch the muscles in motion while repeating "i tilt the head back. now i tilt the head forward. now i tilt the head back."

Sorry I'll try to be a self-centered solipsist next time I play a FPS

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

mdm posted:

The only reason retards like you haven't killed yourselves yet is because you're still trying to figure out a way to hang yourself from the floorboards

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
topsy turvy rear end nigga

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
What kind of mental illness? tardbrains, sadbrains, crazybrains? I need to know, man, because someone I know likes to use inverted controls and that makes me uncomfortable because he could be a psycho.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Ristolaz posted:

This is probably true in my case, I don't remember but I was exposed pretty early to Wolfenstein and PC flight sims, can't say exactly which came first.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

mdm posted:

Sorry I'll try to be a self-centered solipsist next time I play a FPS

look at this. more crazy person posting. why don't you just post "put my rear end on a watchlist" instead of thinking up new ways of demonstrating you're a crazy person? it would save you time.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Inverting horizontally is even worse. In a third person game pressing left on camera controls should make you look to the character's left. In other words, it should be relative to the character's head/position, not the imaginary floating camera itself.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Those left handed deviants sure are sinister, what say you fellow Romans?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

planes are way older and cooler than video games so i'm gonna stick with their classic and amazing y-axis orientation.

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

planes are way older and cooler than video games so i'm gonna stick with their classic and amazing y-axis orientation.

ur not aiming a plane dumbass, ur aiming a rail gun to frag noobs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bonermobile posted:

ur not aiming a plane dumbass, ur aiming a rail gun to frag noobs

descent

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i am literally a fighter pilot irl. i fought in all the gulf wars and will fight in the next one whether they want me to or not. say this to me irl and i will fly a plane into you

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

AHungryRobot posted:

the ratchet and clank games default control scheme had inverted camera controls, and even weirder was that they called the normal system of camera control (up to pan up, down to pan down, etc.) "inverted".

Dragon Quest 8 also did this, but not only was that for the up/down, it was also for the left/right. Just started playing it again was confused as to why my younger, dumber self didn't immediately fix that poo poo.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

when i was a kid i used to play with the controller upside down, and i dont know why

the n64 broke me of the habit and i cant do it anymore

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ristolaz posted:

Or stuff like Rocket Arena with a joystick probably, as well.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

OP, one of the best, most legendary Quake players of all time, Cooller, not only played with inverted vertical aim but I think there was a time he even played with either also inverted horizontal, or he somehow switched the axes the mouse controlled so that moving his mouse up and down moved it left and right, and vice versa.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
inverted vertical aim on console is just something you gotta deal with if you don't like it because lots of games don't have real OPTIONS and really I don't have a preference.

if you invert mouse aim or if you invert horizontally at all, you're a crazy person.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
i like to invert both axises when console gaming in first person, and neither when on a computer. if a console game only lets you invert the y axis i get really scared and hobble around like a child for the duration of the game

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
You want to annoy a gamer, insult his favorite console. Want to make him go apeshit, tell him that you play inverted

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
judge a gamer not by what he plays or where he plays it, but by how he plays

inverted aim for non-airplane games is hosed up

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bathroomrage posted:

inverted aim for non-airplane games is hosed up

nah it's pretty natural if you're trained as a studio cameraman

idk why anyone would want this skillset though, the only people who want new blood these days are independent filmmakers and public access channels, and they both expect you to work pro bono

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Gonna email this to Frictional Games for the next Amnesia game

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
non-inverted is called normal for a reason

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

one of my childhood best friends is an inverted player in every game he plays. i try to game with him but every time we pass the controller off we have to go into the options screen to toggle inverted mode and i just don't know how long we can keep going on living like this :sigh:

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

gay skull posted:

one of my childhood best friends is an inverted player in every game he plays. i try to game with him but every time we pass the controller off we have to go into the options screen to toggle inverted mode and i just don't know how long we can keep going on living like this :sigh:

stay strong, gamer.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

gay skull posted:

You know what you have to do. One shot to the back of the head. Have him think about the raving rabbids

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Rated 5

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Inverted is for cool people as it's the minority underdog option, and shows that a person is a sophisticated attentive gamer (a "manual reader" if you will). Casual scum who don't even configure games before playing them tend to use the default non-inverted.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

psyman posted:

Inverted is for cool people as it's the minority underdog option, and shows that a person is a sophisticated attentive gamer (a "manual reader" if you will). Casual scum who don't even configure games before playing them tend to use the default non-inverted.
I hope your life state gets inverted.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I'm an inverted-aim gamer, probably b/c I played Pilotwings and Star Fox 64 before I ever played an FPS so I got "pull back on the stick = up" engraved in my brain. The only irritating thing about it is that very occasionally an RPG or a third-person action game will come out w/out inverted aim and I have to try and untrain my brain or it's literally unplayable. The Zone of the Enders HD Collection is the last one I remember playing that didn't ship w/an inverted look option and I had to take it back b/c I couldn't get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
I'd like to see your sources OP, unless its from a reputable science journal, its bullshit. I will admit, after I switched from Inverted to Regular aiming, I have been happier, and my performance in the sack has improved, so there may be some truth to your claim.

• Locked thread