Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

inverted y feels more natural to me op

we're all gamers here, play how you like, just make sure you play to win :)

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

It's really only relevant in first person games but I really can't comprehend inverted aiming and all the stupid poo poo people say to justify it in regards to how an airplane handles or whatever else. Your crosshair's your mouse cursor and the game is just a bigass 360 degree screen; You want to move the mouse cursor up then you move the mouse up. You're a weird person if you interpret mouse movements as somehow moving a joystick around on the top of the character's head instead of the reticle itself and should probably seek professional help. Hope that clears things up.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

inverted aim is weird and I don't like it

the exception is airplanes(but not arwings) where it feels more natural because of how airplanes move.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

unless you're an airplane like that one show on pbs then don't use inverted

e: Jay Jay the Jet PLane

Kild fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 1, 2014

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
I thought most of the inverted aim preference came from if you grew up playing flights sims or not.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
a dude i knew would invert his aim in every game and he started gaming on halo. and he couldn't tell me where he learned to do it, or why he did it. he just did.

maybe it's its own shade of the autism rainbow

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Doctor Goat posted:

a dude i knew would invert his aim in every game and he started gaming on halo. and he couldn't tell me where he learned to do it, or why he did it. he just did.

maybe it's its own shade of the autism rainbow

Poor guy was probably also a Xbox player.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I invert aim on dual analogs but not on mouse.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you move the mouse up it won't be on the table anymore.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

the ratchet and clank games default control scheme had inverted camera controls, and even weirder was that they called the normal system of camera control (up to pan up, down to pan down, etc.) "inverted".

Two guys from Insomniac did commentary for the first three games, and said that once they put a targeting reticule on the screen, the normal camera controls felt wrong. Just look up uselesspodcasts on Youtube.

Through the magic of emulators, I can play games like Super Mario Sunshine and Final Fantasy XII without that tiny annoyance every time I try to adjust the camera angle.

Also, why did Microsoft make this a system-level option, and not in the Xbox One? I don't even own one, but that should have been default for every console since.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Gumdrop Larry posted:

It's really only relevant in first person games but I really can't comprehend inverted aiming and all the stupid poo poo people say to justify it in regards to how an airplane handles or whatever else. Your crosshair's your mouse cursor and the game is just a bigass 360 degree screen; You want to move the mouse cursor up then you move the mouse up. You're a weird person if you interpret mouse movements as somehow moving a joystick around on the top of the character's head instead of the reticle itself and should probably seek professional help. Hope that clears things up.

Oh no I use normal on a mouse, and inverted on a joystick/thumbstick.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ristolaz posted:

Its because they played flight sims before console shooters.
yeah

when i first played top gun at like age 6 or 7 the inverted controls really confused me but now i'm wired to be all but unable to play either flying games or shooters (even third-person ones) without inverted aim, i mean it really feels unnatural to me and it makes me aim slowly and poorly

also i think maybe the first polygonal FPSs i played (terminator: future shock and dark forces 2) defaulted to inverted?? idk i don't remember clearly

well in short top gun made me weirdly handicapped at playing games

i really don't understand horizontal inversion tho

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ristolaz posted:

Its because they played flight sims before console shooters.

This is exactly why I prefer inverted aim.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Why are you playing shooters with a controller

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Looper posted:

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I'm one of those people who plays inverted with a controller, mainly because I had like 7 PS1 games when I was growing up, and the only one that actually required aiming was Spyro the Dragon for the flights, which uses inverted controls with no option to change it. When we finally got a computer it came with Flight Simulator 95, Fury 3, and The Incredible Machine. I don't play shooters with a controller, or use inverted with a mouse. So yeah, there's my story OP.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 2, 2014

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Looper posted:

because sometimes you don't have a choice.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il-7z85lABo

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
ironically flying is the only time inverted is ok

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

AHungryRobot posted:

i'm glad i don't live in a country where people force me to play console games

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I grew up with console shooters but you dont see me playing ace combat non inverted

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

you have a choice to make better friends

the power is yours, chief

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Looper posted:

you have a choice to make better friends

the power is yours, chief

hey man, i'm with you. i'm just saying that if you really like your halos and your destiny, you ain't got a choice but to use a controller. unless it's halo 2 but whatever.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

I would probasbly buy both of them new avs, if the something awful store accepted my credit card.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have no idea why this is such a big loving argument, you'd think impzone would be down with dual-inverted since that is how games from glorious Nippon are usually set up.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

zen death robot posted:

they should spend their own money

just imagine you are buying costumes or whatever for your fave dota heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ristolaz posted:

I would probasbly buy both of them new avs, if the something awful store accepted my credit card.

Mach2 with a different avatar would be the greatest tragedy this nation has ever experienced.

• Locked thread